HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

habs games in mexico?

Old
09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Mousepad*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
why the heck would I want to go to Mexico? Is this not the place that if anything goes wrong and someone is killed in your hotel the police will try and blame the nearest Canadian. After the way Mexico has treated Canadians on vacation as Murders and Thieves in order to keep the Vacation money rolling in is something I will not forgive them for. I can vacation anywhere in the entire world, Mexico is no longer on my to go list.

I'm an expat in Mexico, 6 years now. Half of my time is spent in Playa del Carmen, other half in Merida, Yucatan.

No idea what you're talking about. There's millions of visitors every year, tourism is the #1 Economic Industryin Mexico.

---

About the bar on the Quinta (5th Avenue) in Playa Del Carmen, it's full of Quebecers during vacation time, and during the season, there's usually a habs flag outside. You can hear a lot of "criss de tabarnac" when getting close to it during winter.

I think the name of the place is End Zone (EZ Sports Bar)

Mousepad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad View Post
I'm an expat in Mexico, 6 years now.
Kinda off topic but while we're on the subject of Mexico -- where do you recommend for someone who wants to rent an apartment and spend a 1 to 3 months (not sure how long, but month per month basis would be ideal) during the winter that is not too pricey (ie: nothing too luxurious) but not exactly a dump either ( I would need A/C obviously and internet access for work). Younger "professional" scene would be ideal (but not stuck-up pretentious) -- do not want frat boy party village nor senior village.

I like the beach but I also like the city.

How much would it cost? Where about?

I've heard great things about Cabo.

Thanks

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad View Post
I'm an expat in Mexico, 6 years now. Half of my time is spent in Playa del Carmen, other half in Merida, Yucatan.

No idea what you're talking about. There's millions of visitors every year, tourism is the #1 Economic Industryin Mexico.

---

About the bar on the Quinta (5th Avenue) in Playa Del Carmen, it's full of Quebecers during vacation time, and during the season, there's usually a habs flag outside. You can hear a lot of "criss de tabarnac" when getting close to it during winter.

I think the name of the place is End Zone (EZ Sports Bar)
thats exactly what I mean. you have been out of Canada for 6 years so you have no idea how many Canadians have been blamed for Murders in Mexico, it's NEVER in the Mexico press, the word only gets out through the Canadian press for Canadian news in Canada, you remember Canada? , your X Country. The bottom line is, that just because YOU have heard nothing does not mean all I said has NOT happened. It only means YOU are so far blind to the press reports from back home or maybe you just forgot to read more then the sports section. A lot of people in Canada have read about what I say and remember a lot of reports of Canadians being blamed first.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
you have been out of Canada for 6 years so you have no idea how many Canadians have been blamed for Murders in Mexico, it's NEVER in the Mexico press, the word only gets out through the Canadian press for Canadian news in Canada
because the only way for him to get Canadian news is to be in Canada , right?.... I wonder how he follows the Habs in Mexico... maybe he calls his family and they hold the phone by the TV... damn that must be expensive!!!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Lucius

Quote:
thats exactly what I mean. you have been out of Canada for 6 years so you have no idea how many Canadians have been blamed for Murders in Mexico, it's NEVER in the Mexico press, the word only gets out through the Canadian press for Canadian news in Canada, you remember Canada? , your X Country. The bottom line is, that just because YOU have heard nothing does not mean all I said has NOT happened. It only means YOU are so far blind to the press reports from back home or maybe you just forgot to read more then the sports section. A lot of people in Canada have read about what I say and remember a lot of reports of Canadians being blamed first.
...you have heard of this thing called the Internet, right? I imagine he can type CBC.ca down there too.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:04 PM
buddahsmoka1

I am going to have this problem for basically the whole year, except I have it even worse in South America.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:05 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Dude, you are exaggerating man.

Old
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

If you go to Mexico, don't **** with this guy

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Dude, you are exaggerating man.
...and geographically confused.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Fair enough, but again you're talking Northern Mexico. That's like saying "I heard bad things about Texas, so I'd advise against a trip to Maine."

The area he's going to has not had nearly the number of issues.
Correct. I am only talking about my experiences so my comments really only deal with the state of Baja California
Also, I am not advocating that you don't travel to Mexico.
I love the Cabo area.
Just one person’s opinion on the subject

Go Habs (wherever you watch the games)

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
buddahsmoka1

The thing about Mexico is it is geared to package tourists, and thousands of them. Literally thousands of Canadians travel to Mexico for a week and come back every year. Of course stories of robberies and poor justice systems are going to come up.

Criminals target tourists, they don't speak the native tongue, they are easy to identify, they stick out, they don't know the area, and they are often oblivious to their surroundings, and of course, they have the best chance of having money on them.

When you have hundreds of tourists that look like this, of course there are stories:

Who wouldn't target someone like that?

Despite this, Mexico is perfectly safe if due diligence is practiced, just like any other country.

Just because you read a couple articles of some tourists getting charged for crimes they didn't commit doesn't make it any worse to go to.

Old
09-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Mousepad*

Quote:
Dude, don't want to sound condescending or anything but as pointed out by others in this thread, I've internet, and also a Star Choice dish on the top of my house. The last big news I recall were those 5 quebecers arrested and put in jail for weeks. Believe me, they weren't in Jail for nothing, and really pushed their luck. They were also having a party at 4 am with members of a famous drug cartel, and a police officer was shot in front of the bar.

Mexico is full of corruption but they don't arrest random tourists for no reason. Sadly, we actually have more "rights" than Mexicans in tourist areas like Riviera Maya. We're their money. I got stopped by cop cars while driving with a bottle of Sol between my legs, and got away with a "don't do it again". In non-tourist areas, you probably would have to throw some money to get out of situations like this. Don't fight, steal, buy drugs etc and you will be just fine. I remember that Chris Rock sketch. How to now get your ass kicked by the police. "Just use common sense".

Now, let's not hijack this topic! Many of us Habs fan will watch the Habs in Mexico this winter, I know, the bar is always full when there are habs games.

Mousepad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

what kind of person travels during the regular season!!!!

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
Don't know about Habs games in Mexico, but I heard you have Expos' games in Puerto Rico, if you're interested.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:04 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
...you have heard of this thing called the Internet, right? I imagine he can type CBC.ca down there too.
Internet might be fine but watch out for the NHL site. I bought one game when I was on the road for work. The following year they automatically billed me $100 for some kind of game package

Fortunately I checked my credit card bill that month and was able to cancel it

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Adam91

Hooters is where I watched a few playoff games last spring. Its on the waterfront in Cancun. Paid alot of money at the all inclusive to have the game on only to have them shut it off and pretend they didn't no what we were talking about.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
People saying Mexico is dangerous don't know what they are talking about. Really, Mexico is more like the United States of Latin America. People from all of Central America and more illegally immigrate through the south borders all the time, and the Mexican government is having a crisis like the US is having in Arizona. There's a reason for that.

The best way to watch a game is the Internet, but I remember watching the NFL playoffs in spanish at a sports bar. That was epic.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:15 PM
gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
People saying Mexico is dangerous don't know what they are talking about. Really, Mexico is more like the United States of Latin America. People from all of Central America and more illegally immigrate through the south borders all the time, and the Mexican government is having a crisis like the US is having in Arizona. There's a reason for that.

The best way to watch a game is the Internet, but I remember watching the NFL playoffs in spanish at a sports bar. That was epic.
no doubt. Mexico is just fine. it's the *** Mexicans you have to worry about!

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Amputechture

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyfreak View Post
I went to riviera maya last year and I went to visit playa delcarmen for a day and I saw a sport bar with huge habs flag and they had the game. If you go down town you can't miss it
hahaha I know the exact bar you're talking about!! I got my picture taken right in front of it.

There's a ton of sports bars on the strip in Playa that you'll be able to find games on. At my resort we had a sports bar that showed all of the playoff games every night

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 04:15 PM
habsrock60

I was down in the Mayan Riveria this past April and took a trip into Playa del Carmen. There were a few Canadian Sports bars that showed NHL games. Look around and you'll find one

habsrock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Habs

This could just be a rumour, but I heard they have the interwebz in Mexico, and you can watch things online and stuff like that.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote