HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kovalchuk Contract Rejected

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
TGfireandice I'm told progress toward an agreement with promise of continued talks won't be enough for NHL to make a ruling on Kovalchuk today.

TGfireandice Only ways ruling on Kovy will come today are if there is an agreement before 5 p.m. or if NHL-NHLPA break off talks on amendment before 5.

TGfireandice My sense is NHL will reject Kovy Part Deux. RT @nodrogmot: @TGfireandice - what happens if the NHLPA refuses to extend deadline again?

TGfireandice I was told NHLPA began preparing grievance for Kovy II on Tuesday in case NHL did reject contract.
This is beyond stupid. If I was Lou I would just tell the league to reject the contract and they will roll the dice with another arbitration. They need this resolved so they can move 2 players to get under the cap with Kovalchuk.

If the league wants to reject the contract, just do it already. It could take months for the NHLPA and NHL to agree on a new rule for the CBA and it would still require 20 yes votes from the 30 player reps. Too much to get decided in a week.

Old
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Agreement Reached

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=332542

Old
09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
MollerManor

I hope the contract last assumed was not the actual contract approved. Either way, I am glad it is over. Hopefully we can get some trades/signings throughout the NHL finalized.

Old
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
I hope the contract last assumed was not the actual contract approved. Either way, I am glad it is over. Hopefully we can get some trades/signings throughout the NHL finalized.
Yes, the $100/15 year contract was approved as presented. All other contracts will have their "investigations" closed and officially approved. They can now retire whenever they feel like it with no penalties. New rules moving forward have yet to be announced, but we can expect them to be similar to the ones the NY Post released.

Kovalchuk is now a Devil for life.

/thread

Old
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I wonder if there will be some trades now

Old
09-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I wonder if there will be some trades now
At least from NJ...

Old
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Kovalchuk is now a Devil for life.

/thread
Unless he gets traded.

Old
09-03-2010, 02:43 PM
wicker

Can I haz Doughty at fifteen years now? Please?

Seriously, though, glad that this is done, even if it made the offseason go by faster, but now I really want Doughty, JJ, and Simmer locked up.

Old
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
HeadInjury

I understand the difficult position the league was in, but the effect of this agreement will be that several teams will have a higher cap limit than all the other teams in the league. New Jersey for example can spend more than $2 million beyond what the Kings can spend each year for the next ten years, given Kovalchuk's artificially low cap hit..

Old
09-03-2010, 03:55 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
I understand the difficult position the league was in, but the effect of this agreement will be that several teams will have a higher cap limit than all the other teams in the league. New Jersey for example can spend more than $2 million beyond what the Kings can spend each year for the next ten years, given Kovalchuk's artificially low cap hit..
Funny how LL comes out of this smelling like a rose and other teams will hereafter be hamstrung by new rules that prevent utilizing the rules that were in place under the CBA which was approved by the league and players in an open forum type negotiation. The same rules LL took advantage of to sign IK to cap friendly hit, and that our GM didn't, and now can no longer attempt to utilize to do the same.

I think our GM may no longer be the smartest man in the room, at least when LL is in the same room

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 09-03-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old
09-03-2010, 04:01 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Yeah. We got effed in the a but we've known this for months now. What we weren't expecting was for the league to eff us harder by creating a new rule regarding contracts while grandfathering in the cap-circumventing ones.

Kiss any plans of a super cap-friendly Doughty deal good bye.

Old
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Kiss any plans of a super cap-friendly Doughty deal good bye.
Why? Duncan Keith signed one without stupid retirement years past 40. It is still up to the player and team to design a team friendly contract.

Also, what leads people to believe that Doughty wants a 15+ year contract as a 21 year old? He's probably looking for a Kopitar type deal, 5-7 years. Just because LA wants to lock him up for as long as possible doesn't mean that Doughty does. Most of these contracts are given to late 20's and early 30's players. None have signed them after their ELC.

Old
09-03-2010, 05:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Why? Duncan Keith signed one without stupid retirement years past 40. It is still up to the player and team to design a team friendly contract.

Also, what leads people to believe that Doughty wants a 15+ year contract as a 21 year old? He's probably looking for a Kopitar type deal, 5-7 years. Just because LA wants to lock him up for as long as possible doesn't mean that Doughty does. Most of these contracts are given to late 20's and early 30's players. None have signed them after their ELC.
Doughty and the Kings would be dumb to sign anything longer than an 8 year deal.

Old
09-03-2010, 07:42 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Doughty and the Kings would be dumb to sign anything longer than an 8 year deal.
I get why Doughty might not want to sign long term, he could honestly be the seconding coming of Ray Bourque.

But why wouldn't the Kings want to sign him long term?

Please don't tell me this has anything to do with my favorite player . . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

NO, not him, . . .

I mean CAP SPACE

Old
09-03-2010, 08:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I get why Doughty might not want to sign long term, he could honestly be the seconding coming of Ray Bourque.

But why wouldn't the Kings want to sign him long term?

Please don't tell me this has anything to do with my favorite player . . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

NO, not him, . . .

I mean CAP SPACE
Reference: DiPietro, Rick

IT Happens. Seldom do these long term deals work to the benefit of the organization that commits to them. I am fine with a deal that would eat up 3 or 4 years of his UFA status, but why go beyond that?

If he is still at the top of his game and has established himself as an all-time great they can re-sign him.

Old
09-04-2010, 10:30 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

I've never been happier to close a thread. It was a great summer distraction... but good riddance.

Closed Thread