HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Moen

Old
09-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Windymind

vCash: 500
Next Moen

Consistently on these forums, people have defended Moen. General message is that we can't get him exchanged since he's big, he's the only one who can really throw gloves and he checks. But he doesn't excel in any of these things so...

Now that Price is signed and that we have 1,4M left, could we trade him to get a best winger with grit after pre-season?

Windymind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Lucius

No, and I don't think we should either.

I liked the playoff core last year, we should try not to mess with it. Given the other role players had to move, Moen should stay.

And I doubt we could really move him for much of value. There are dozens of NHL calibre wingers out there that play a similar role and thanks to the cap they're signing super cheap. See Comrie in Pittsburgh for the league minimum, for example.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Guilliam

I'd keep Moen this year. But I would try to trade him next summer if a young guy like White or Conboy is ready for full time duty on the 4th line. They can bring the toughness that Moen brings, and then some.

Last edited by Guilliam: 09-03-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: mistake
Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He was on the premium signings side of the UFA market, but he's a solid role player. You need to fill out the roster with solid role players. It might be nice to have one at $750k or $1M, instead of $1.5M... but that's not a difference that ought to really hurt a team.

Trading guys like him is always best done at the trade deadline. No need to consider moving him before that, but it would also minimize any return. At the deadline, a team looking for a big "playoff body", would give you the best return. Habs would have to be waaaay down in the standings to consider that, though.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I keep Moen.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Pleky Roks

I'd keep Moen too. It doesn't matter to me if he's not a great goal scorer, fighter or the roughest player on the ice...I just like the fact that he can do all of those things when asked upon. He scored some big goals for us, he dropped the gloves once in a while and he played hard and threw some hits all season long....sure it would be nice if he could be better at all those thing, but I'm quite happy with what he brings to the team.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:15 PM
jamz

Dress O'Byrne as 7th Dman if you want someone to hit and punch. Moen doesn't do what he was brought in to do. He doesn't fight and he doesn't hit. I fell in love with him when he scored a bunch of goals at the beginning of the 2008-09 season, but since then he's pretty much been a non-factor in games. I would love for the Habs to sign Artyukhin, but with only 1.4M left in cap space, I don't think they can afford a player now in case of injuries. Maybe near the trade deadline...

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Aurel Joliat

I want to keep Moen but he must finish next season with more than 5 fights... (at least 10)

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
I want to keep Moen but he must finish next season with more than 5 fights... (at least 10)

I agree!! He needs to drop the gloves more. I think if he wouldn't have got cut across the forehead by that skate late in the season, he likely would have had a few more fights to end the season and would have been a bigger force in the playoffs.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Keep moen. There's plenty of space for guys like white and conboy(when time comes). Obviously if his cap is what is stopping us from acquiring say a David Backes or Dustin Brown then yah trade him...but the odds of that happening are pretty low. He's a good bottom 6 player and that's about it. We should worry about adding toughness on top 6 rather than bottom 6.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Can you guys Imagine a (potential) line of Moen-Boyd-White? That would be amazing!!

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Can you guys Imagine a (potential) line of Moen-Boyd-White? That would be amazing!!
I'm looking forward to a future 4th line of

Shultz-White-Conboy

lol...

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I hate using this excuse but it's hard fora physical player to be physical when the other 2 linemates don't play physical.

If he is the only forward hitting the D, he will be more tired then the two D since he is the only one hitting 2 players.

i believe if he plays with some physical players like some posters alluded to, I think he can excel.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Ryan White is the next Moen.

And Ryan White = Hearty Win.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm looking forward to a future 4th line of

Shultz-White-Conboy

lol...
I'm with you on this one.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Aurel Joliat

Me too !

Old
09-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Joe Cole

Expectations. What do you expect from Moen?

Moen is an NHL'r. He is a role player, a guy you want on your team. A team needs players to play different roles, and I do not see ANYONE slated on the top two lines that could do Moen's job, and maybe only Lapierre IF he changed from yapper to hitter. Maybe Boyd... we'll see.

If you think he is supposed to be Tkachuk... you are wrong.

Maybe White or Conboy can develop into that kind of player, but as of today... they are just boys.

And as for the semi-comparison to Comrie.... eh.... really? You think they play the same role on a team?

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

We need to get MORE big and physical in the bottom 6, not less. Trading Moen unless we are winning the trade by a lot makes no sense.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The one thing that doesnt get mentioned enough about moen is his speed. He skates pretty well for a big man. I dont agree with people saying he doesn't play physical enough either. He finishes his checks as consistently as anyone on the team, and with authority.

If it comes down to the habs being out of contention at the deadline, and they get an offer they cannot refuse, then fine, let him go. But a guy like Ryan White is not ready to be a Travis Moen yet, and may never be able to do so in the future. It leaves a hole to be plugged, and there really isnt anyone on the farm built like Moen.

BTW, dont evaluate Moen on the number of fights he had. He's not the type of guy that fights for the sake of fighting, its not premeditated with him and I dont think JM believes in those kind of fights either. He's not an enforcer but rather a guy who sticks up for his teammates, and that's a big difference. Its gotta be a spur of the moment type thing where a certain player is taking liberties with the team for Travis to drop the gloves.

Last edited by Hackett: 09-03-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

I'd keep Moen too. Besides, another strength of his is he plays well positionally without the puck. If you watch him, on occasion he'll go along the boards or in the corner where there's no puck. However, it usually comes to him because he's excellent at reading a developing play. Thus, he makes for a good 2 way player who is defensively conscious. He also scored 6 or 7 clutch goals last year. Clutch as in tying to get us into OT and gaining a point or clutch as in game winner.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
What if he finished the season with 7 fights?

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Max Levine

I was really impressed with Moen at the start of last season. He played hard, going to the net, hitting everything. But he disappeared after a while. I think playing him on the top 6 is a mistake. He didn't improve the Gomez-Gionta line at all. He belongs on the bottom 6 but I was hoping he could find a spot on the PP, planting himself in front of the net. But after watching Gionta for a few weeks, I realized that size wasn't that much of a factor on PP. Grit, courage is all you need to fight for your position in front of the net. Add talent and Gionta's efficiency becomes much more valuable in that specific role.

Back to Moen, my expectations are certainly not as high anymore. I'd like to see him with a couple of tough/gritty players on the 4th line, putting pressure in the offensive zone.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:54 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
I'd keep Moen too. Besides, another strength of his is he plays well positionally without the puck. If you watch him, on occasion he'll go along the boards or in the corner where there's no puck. However, it usually comes to him because he's excellent at reading a developing play. Thus, he makes for a good 2 way player who is defensively conscious. He also scored 6 or 7 clutch goals last year. Clutch as in tying to get us into OT and gaining a point or clutch as in game winner.

Plays the strictest north-south game I have seen in a while. Always prefers to make the simple play and move the puck out of the zone, or forward past his check instead of making low percentage plays. The guy is your meat and potatoes, he just gets things done. He plays physical, can play on literally any line, provides good leadership and PKing, and doesn't make too many mistakes out there. Think Gorges on forward.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
What if he finished the season with 7 fights?
I will be disappointed, again lol

Old
09-03-2010, 04:16 PM
TankEller*

Moen is a great support player with great qualities. Every team needs one to succeed, at the very least. He could have better hands and it would be ideal for our roster, but frankly, there are so many things this guy does that go unnoticed.

You've read some things I wrote against Gorges, against Andrei Kostitsyn, and against many players, but Moen is one guy I'm not willing to stand against. He's great in his role, and it's not obvious to be this guy on a team like Montreal, when you have next to no support physically.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote