HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the league continued....(Devils penalized / Ryan re-signs - 5yrs/$25.5M)

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
The agreement means that Kovalchuk's contract with the New Jersey Devils will also get approved as part of a new global settlement. His 15 year, $100 million will be approved once all of the agreements between the league and PA are signed. Deals like those signed by Kovalchuk, Roberto Luongo, Marian Hossa, and Marc Savard will be the last of their kind.

So these deals stick but no other team can sign elite players to similar contracts moving forward?

LOL

How is that fair?

09-03-2010, 03:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Will be interesting to see what the Devils do now. They have to get rid of a few guys. That's this year's battle.

Next year, Arnott, Langenbrunner, & Pandolfo, are UFA. That's about $10M. Parise becomes RFA. He'll probably get somewhere in the 6-7M range. Brings you back to 6-7M of free space. I also assume they'll resign Langenbrunner, he may get some more $ as well.

Old
09-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Will be interesting to see what the Devils do now. They have to get rid of a few guys. That's this year's battle.

Next year, Arnott, Langenbrunner, & Pandolfo, are UFA. That's about $10M. Parise becomes RFA. He'll probably get somewhere in the 6-7M range. Brings you back to 6-7M of free space. I also assume they'll resign Langenbrunner, he may get some more $ as well.
They already bought Pando out.... before this years UFA season

Old
09-03-2010, 03:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
They already bought Pando out.... before this years UFA season
Word, stupid nhlscap is garbage. Should use capgeek from now on.

Old
09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
SaveByLundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
Jagr... an ALL-time great. Who earned it. Will Kovy earn it?
That's now... we don't know the future. I established this. You're taking stuff going on now, and applying it to the future. You can't compare the two. And we don't know what happens in Kovalchuk's career. I bring up Lindros as an example... plenty others.

Measely 12 million? KHL is offering big $$ now. Not when Kovalchuk is washed up. And who is to say what the KHL's situation is 10 years from now

Not too mention, 10 years from now Kovalchuk's family will have been living here for 10 years. He'll just up and move?

And you'll always have big bills to pay. And his children haven't even hit college. He can make a bad investment here and there. SO MUCH CAN HAPPEN IN 10 YEARS!!!

And I think you're devaluing $12m... and making too many assumptions.

At this point, i'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you. I feel like I've countered many of your issues, multiple times in previous posts. It appears I won't convince you otherwise.
That's exactly why I wouldn't want to sign Gaborik to a 15 year deal that you claim "I would of eaten up" if he signed something similar a year ago. I'm glad the league is letting this stupid contract be the last one.

Old
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
TomLaidlaw

No reason for us not to have Henrik signed to a lifetime contract like this that took advantage of the loophole in the CBA. Now the loophole is closed. Those teams that utilized the loop hole really got taught a lesson. In the way of zero punishment of any kind. Good thing Sather stood on principle.

You find a loophole that you can use to your advantage you use it and keep using it until someone fixes it. Let other people stand on principle.

Old
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
So these deals stick but no other team can sign elite players to similar contracts moving forward?

LOL

How is that fair?
It's not. The Bruins, Blackhawks, Redwings(twice), Devils, and Canucks are allowed to cheat. No one else is.

Just another example of how poorly this league is run. If they had a problem with these contracts they should have rejected the first one, not the sixth one.

The fair thing now would be to let each team have one of these contracts if they choose to do so. Most probably wouldn't anyway but there should be an option.

Old
09-03-2010, 04:27 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
This is such bull****. What would have been fair IMO:

1) Allow the contract AND penalize the Devils for intentionally trying to circumvent the CBA.
2) Don't allow the contract.

I mean they're just letting it go. And it's going to effect things in the Atlantic division for over a decade.

If they can make the Avery rule in a matter of hours you'd think the could take the entire summer and get this right.

Old
09-03-2010, 04:59 PM
DM23BK30

Meh. It would have been nice to get Kovalchuk out of the division, but you can't deny that Lou is building this team with a short window to win in mind.

In all likelihood, he will have to trade 1st rounders and prospects just to get under the cap. Nothing fun about that.

Old
09-03-2010, 05:00 PM
beastly115

It'll be fun to watch them re-sign Parise now with the new rules in place.

Let's see if he's willing to take a real discount and sign for 5 yrs, 5M or something.

Old
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
It'll be fun to watch them re-sign Parise now with the new rules in place.

Let's see if he's willing to take a real discount and sign for 5 yrs, 5M or something.
Don't they have 7+ mill coming off the books next year with Arnott and Langenbrunners contracts expiring?

Old
09-03-2010, 05:17 PM
gluvhand

Gotta hand it to Bettman. He got this taken care of before he had to deal with Fehr, with the Gov's approval. The fact that no other owner/GM has stepped up and cried foul is very telling. They leave themselves a loophole then seal it up when they realize they CANNOT be trusted to police themselves. Bravo, Gary. Bravo.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
I'm told Devils could still be subject to fines, etc,. for first contract being ruled circumvention. That is not wiped out by agreement
https://twitter.com/TGfireandice/status/22927197860

Quote:
No decision has been made by NHL on whether it will pursue additional penalties for Devils on first contract.
https://twitter.com/TGfireandice/status/22927408171

OOPS

You know many NHL BOGs want Bettman to smack the Debbies.

The NHL rejected the first contract and was going to reject the second contract. Bloch doesn't dish out the punishment if the Debbies circumvented the CBA. Bettman does.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
DevilzFan
PS3 GM Conn. Oilers

Send a message via AIM to DevilzFan
There won't be any fines. Richard Bloch's ruling stated it was not cap circumvention.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:

LOL

How is that fair?

My sources are telling me that life is not fair.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

less than 7 million for Kovalchuk for the rest of his career? I see.

Next time I see Devils fans cry about their big conspiracy theory about the league hating them I'm going to headbutt a wall.

On the other hand, if we keep Avery this can be the most hilarious move in hockey history if Kovy hasn't changed.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:21 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
It was nice of the NHL to allow kovy's deal but allow no further contracts of this nature and no punishment for the blatant cap intervention and now close the loophole so the other 3/4 of the league can not have a similar deal in place.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:23 PM
ruckus*

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

If Bettman doesn't punish Devils the other teams will be furious. Maybe Bettman starts to wear thin on owners around the league.

I just dont' understand.

This is where the league takes a stand. THEN they go and allow it?

I also don't understand "grandfathering" them in.

That's a joke.

Let the CBA play out and make it known that this will be a sticking point in the next discussions.

Or END IT NOW.

It's BS.

Okay, you guys can all cheat, and New Jersey, even though we stopped you from cheating, we'll actually let you do it anyway. But if anyone else tries it, too bad!

Another example of what a joke of a league this is.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also one question...

15 years for 100 mil apparently isn't blatant, but 17 for 102 is?

Consider me confused.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Adam Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Also one question...

15 years for 100 mil apparently isn't blatant, but 17 for 102 is?

Consider me confused.
Because it came down to how the money was distributed throughout both contracts. If you compare the numbers you'll notice its not as severe of a drop during the years Kovy makes less money.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Balej20*

guess what? these deals can STILL be made.

look at the quotes from tsn's article (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=332542):

"First: For long-term contracts extending beyond the age of 40, the contract's average annual value for the years up to and including 40, are calculated by dividing total value in those years by the number of years up to and including 40. Then for the years covering ages 41 and beyond, the cap charge in each year is equal to the value of the contract in that year.

Secondly, for long-term contracts that include years in which the player is 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40; the amount used for purposes of calculating his average annual value is a minimum of $1 million in each of those years (even if his actual compensation is less during those seasons)."

Still sounds like you can make a lifetime deal that takes you to age 38 or 39 and tack on 5-6 years of $1 mil to lower the cap hit no?

Old
09-03-2010, 06:34 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

If Bettman doesn't punish Devils the other teams will be furious. Maybe Bettman starts to wear thin on owners around the league.

I just dont' understand.

This is where the league takes a stand. THEN they go and allow it?

I also don't understand "grandfathering" them in.

That's a joke.

Let the CBA play out and make it known that this will be a sticking point in the next discussions.

Or END IT NOW.

It's BS.

Okay, you guys can all cheat, and New Jersey, even though we stopped you from cheating, we'll actually let you do it anyway. But if anyone else tries it, too bad!

Another example of what a joke of a league this is.
It would have been a nightmare for the league to go back and start de-registering contracts they had previously approved. Marc Savards agent had already come out and said that they would have filed a lawsuit if the NHL tried to pull that on his client. I expect the other players wouldn't have gone quietly into the night either. Allowing a contract then voiding it a year later would have been a tough position to argue from in a lawsuit.

A lot can happen in that time. For example with Savard. He suffered a serious head injury after signing that contract. If the NHL voids his extension who is to say Savard will be able to sign a comparable contract now that he is damaged goods. What if Luongo tore his ACL in the playoffs. The NHL decides to void his contract and now he is sitting at home with a torn ACL and no contract. It is messy.

I never for a second believed the NHL planned on doing anything to the contracts they had previously registered. It was all sabre rattling.

Old
bubba5

If the league wants to change the rules as they go how about letting us waive some bad contracts without having a cap charge!!!!

Old
FOXHOUND*

Justice for 3, new rules for 27

Old
09-03-2010, 06:50 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
It would have been a nightmare for the league to go back and start de-registering contracts they had previously approved. Marc Savards agent had already come out and said that they would have filed a lawsuit if the NHL tried to pull that on his client. I expect the other players wouldn't have gone quietly into the night either. Allowing a contract then voiding it a year later would have been a tough position to argue from in a lawsuit.

A lot can happen in that time. For example with Savard. He suffered a serious head injury after signing that contract. If the NHL voids his extension who is to say Savard will be able to sign a comparable contract now that he is damaged goods. What if Luongo tore his ACL in the playoffs. The NHL decides to void his contract and now he is sitting at home with a torn ACL and no contract. It is messy.

I never for a second believed the NHL planned on doing anything to the contracts they had previously registered. It was all sabre rattling.
I agree with you Tom.

My issue is that I don't believe they should have the right to change things until the next CBA then.

Either this is what they said it was, and that this was THE contract they deemed they could legally prove was being disingenuous, and they END it here, or you let things go.

You can't allow deals like this, not fight them because you don't think you'll win, then fight the won you know you'll win, actually WIN, and then say okay those all stand but no one else can.

It's a joke.

To me, once they decided to fight the Kovy deal they needed to show this was enough.

They already stated they believed that this was the deal they would win if they fought it, the others they weren't so sure about.

Well guess what? They fought it and won.

Why are they catering to the team they caught with their hand in the cookie jar?

Closed Thread