HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

All the signings of d-men, when we could have just done this...

Old
09-02-2010, 09:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I'm not sure many people are complaining about signing O'Donnell. I have to believe Walker gets waived, because we're not carrying 8 defensemen... are we?

I have always been of the opinion that we should have just waited an hour and signed Paul Martin instead of trading for Meszaros.
I don't see Walker getting waived. I doubt we carry Bartulis as the 7th D-man to just sit on the bench. That would not be good for him or the team. I don't know the deal with waivers and that type of thing so if there is an issue with him being claimed I guess they have no choice but to keep him as the 7th guy and sit him to avoid him being claimed. However if he is not in danger of being claimed by another team, I doubt they keep him as the 7th guy. In that case it will be Walker riding the pine (or a different guy that may come along before the season starts).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:02 AM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't see Walker getting waived. I doubt we carry Bartulis as the 7th D-man to just sit on the bench. That would not be good for him or the team. I don't know the deal with waivers and that type of thing so if there is an issue with him being claimed I guess they have no choice but to keep him as the 7th guy and sit him to avoid him being claimed. However if he is not in danger of being claimed by another team, I doubt they keep him as the 7th guy. In that case it will be Walker riding the pine (or a different guy that may come along before the season starts).
I would rather see Bartulis get playing time than Walker.

I really wish he could get a spot on the team. I think Bart can be a solid bottom-half of the chart kinda guy, and think that getting regular playing time throughout the regular season could be very good for him. And with the other guys on the team, there should be more than enough support there for him to learn. I don't really know that going back to the Phantoms will do him any good.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Volchenkov please

Thank you.
am I the only one who busts out laughing every time I see your avatar?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:27 PM
i am dave

Quote:
That is very well possible, but would be a shame considering Bartulis only clears 600k on waivers, while Walker would clear 1.7M.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, a player claimed on the way down has his ENTIRE cap hit transferred to the claiming team, taking the Flyers "off the hook," while if he gets claimed on recall waivers, the Flyers would get stuck with 50% of the cap hit for the duration of the contract (see Randy Jones). I could be wrong on that first part though.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 10:06 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
That is very well possible, but would be a shame considering Bartulis only clears 600k on waivers, while Walker would clear 1.7M.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, a player claimed on the way down has his ENTIRE cap hit transferred to the claiming team, taking the Flyers "off the hook," while if he gets claimed on recall waivers, the Flyers would get stuck with 50% of the cap hit for the duration of the contract (see Randy Jones). I could be wrong on that first part though.
That is correct.

But Walker is not getting waived (at least to start the season). Why would Homer even acquire him and speak of him as being a big part of our defense if he was just going to waive him? If we waive Bartulis, I'd almost guarantee someone claims him, and then we lose him for nothing (as far as I know, there is still confusion as to whether or not Bartulis is waiver eligible).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 10:51 AM
2minutes4slashing

Bartulis sucks and should be waived ASAP, give Matt Walker a chance and quit "pegging" him as a "knob" as someone stated to me last night .. the bottom line is the Flyers have the best corps of D-man in the entire NHL even without adding Martin, Hamhuis, or the A-Train

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Walker is going to get buried in the minors, he is just a depth guy and a headache for Snider's accountants.

If you're fine with the Mezsaros signing, I really don't see a cap space leg to stand on, he's the one eating it all up.

I thought about Schubert but he is pretty soft and did not fare that well after the trade in a system that should have been decent for him. McKee is busted. Weaver is a decent player but I'd prefer O'Donnell, especially for one year.

Volchenkov would have been even more overkill than Meszaros as a second/third pairing swing guy, plus he cannot really do anything on the power play.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 01:07 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Bartulis sucks and should be waived ASAP, give Matt Walker a chance and quit "pegging" him as a "knob" as someone stated to me last night .. the bottom line is the Flyers have the best corps of D-man in the entire NHL even without adding Martin, Hamhuis, or the A-Train
Bartulis was more than acceptable as a young 6th D-man throughout most of the regular season last year. You don't just get rid of that kind of player. Additionally, most people don't particularly hate Matt Walker the player, because well, most of us probably don't know all that much about him.

What you need to realize is that there is more that goes into making these decisions than just what the player can bring to the table TODAY. Is Matt Walker a better fit for this team as a 6th or 7th D-man today? Perhaps. He also makes over 1 million more than Bartulis. Additionally, he was acquired AFTER we already had 7 defenseman and had added 5.3 million dollars to our corps as a whole.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
I'd rather have 600k sitting up in the press box as the 7th dman than having 1.7M up in there, wearing his Sunday best.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:21 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Walker >>>>>> Pronger Timonen combined.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:27 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Walker >>>>>> Pronger Timonen combined.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't really understand this post. You would rather have had the team sign three defenseman who weren't as good as the three they did sign? If you would have suggested something like signing a forward or a goalie or something like it would make sense, but this just seems silly.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 05:26 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
I don't really understand this post. You would rather have had the team sign three defenseman who weren't as good as the three they did sign? If you would have suggested something like signing a forward or a goalie or something like it would make sense, but this just seems silly.
For what we spent the money on we could have had the Dmen I posted @ the start, as the new signings will be 5-7th on the depth chart. I think we could have used the money more wisely all the while bolstering up our bottom end on D.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote