HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

NHL 2010 Entry Draft Buffalo Sabres 4th Round Pick(98th Overall) C Steven Shipley

Old
06-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Koster

vCash: 500
NHL 2010 Entry Draft Buffalo Sabres 4th Round Pick(98th Overall) C Steven Shipley

From the Ontario Hockey League(OHL)

Koster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Height - 6'2"
Weight - 205 lbs.
Shoots - Left

Can play center or wing. Good size, needs to work on his skating.

NHL's writeup:

Quote:
Owen Sound Attack head coach Mark Reeds
“Steven has stepped up his play for us with the number of injuries we have had this year. He is a rangy skilled centermen who is also capable of playing the wing. He sees the ice well and makes the right play and can score. He has been more dependable in his own end this year and has been good on the penalty kill. His size and reach make him a tremendous asset on the 5 on 4 and 5 on 3. His ability to win the big draw, or make a big play has been very noticeable this year. He has the ability to use his size to take the puck to the net. He wants to be on the ice in key situations.”

06-26-2010, 01:41 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Height - 6'2"
Weight - 205 lbs.
Shoots - Left

Can play center or wing. Good size, needs to work on his skating.

NHL's writeup:
Great writeup. The kind of guy we need in the pipe.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
He was a cocky youngster 2 years ago:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...the-prize.html
Quote:
3. Steven Shipley, C – Owen Sound Attack (OHL): A lot of young players act coy when draft talk comes up, but the Attack’s Steven Shipley is blunt when asked how aware he is of his 2010 competitors.

“Very aware,” he said. “Every night I’m checking to see how they’re doing and how I compare.”

With the first week-and-change of his OHL career in the bank, Shipley is stacking up pretty well so far. On a basement-dwelling Owen Sound squad, the youngster is tied for the team lead with a plus-four rating and has contributed four points in five games. Notching a goal and an assist in his first game (a win over Kitchener) eased some of the pressure the highly-touted Shipley had put on himself.

“I wanted to show I could produce offensively right away,” he said. “Make plays, set up plays…It was a bit of an adjustment, but I think I’ve fit in so far.”

And while this season may be a struggle for the team, Shipley knows every learning experience helps. He’s hoping to get more of that with a spot on Team Ontario’s Under-17 team.

With his eye on the prize, Shipley isn’t shy about his ultimate goal for the 2010 draft.

“I want to be No. 1,” he said. “That’s what everybody wants, to be No. 1. Nothing better than that, right?”
Draft eligible in 2010.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Duddy
Everyday is

Goose 2.0?

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Hawerchuk10

I really like this:
6' 2" 205 OHL CTR

Hawerchuk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDDY View Post
Goose 2.0?
He only had 32 PIM last season. Not very goose-like.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:03 PM
mgeise

Ranked 83rd on this list by premiumscouting.com
http://www.premiumscouting.com/index...&id=2&Itemid=3
Quote:
Shipley ended the season by leaving a bad taste in the mouths of scouts who watched him. His inconsistency was apparent all year during the season and at major events. For a big guy, he skates alright, won’t blow by anyone and his first few steps look awkward without much power behind his push-off, however the skating as a whole is decent enough to get him where he needs to go. Has some craftiness in his hands and displays it best down low or when he lines himself up in the slot area or around the net, showing vision and good reactions. For a big guy, his shyness to physical play is surprising, and he really rushes or makes bad decisions when he senses physical pressure oncoming. Is decent defensively, gets back fine, but he will likely be shifted to wing at the next level. Shipley’s day to day consistency and lack of effort in concerning for teams wondering if he has what it takes to improve.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:01 AM
mike8219

Steven Shipley Accuracy Shooting Team Orr's Steven Shipley goes 4 for 6 during the CHL Top Prospects Skills Competition in Accuracy
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=57750

mike8219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
More from Brock's site, this time on Shipley:
Quote:
23. Steven Shipley - Forward - Owen Sound Attack
Seems only natural to have the Attack boys beside each other. Shipley, however, is about as drastic an opposite as you can find. A few things impressed me with Shipley this season in particular. For one, when Hishon went down to injury and this team was really struggling, he put the Attack on his back and played some inspired hockey. Secondly, I felt like he had a solid Under 18's and really showed that he CAN play without the puck as part of a hardworking scoring line with Christian Thomas and Greg McKegg (even if his performance at the CHL Top Prospects Game was very forgettable). He has his faults. For one, he really needs to improve his first few steps. He's very capable of taking the puck to the net and once he gets going, he's pretty hard to stop. But that lack of explosiveness in his stride prevents him from being as dangerous as he could be. He also needs to work improving the consistency with which he battles hard, as he can tend to float a bit. But with good size, smarts and offensive skill, I think he can make some NHL team happy some day with the determination to improve.
Interesting to see him ahead of Hishon in his ratings...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
ttcminaker

Hey Chain,

The other guy on the site with Brock actually has Shipley ranked at #10 in his top 50 rankings.

Shipley seems to be a prospect who is all over the map with scouts so it will be interesting to see how he comes along this year. If he puts it together he could fall right into place as the big, offensive centre this team has been needing. More then anything, it sounds like his ability to improve his skating will be the most important facet of his game going forward.

ttcminaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Good value, sounds like he has high potential for someone drafted in the 4th.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
Hey Chain,

The other guy on the site with Brock actually has Shipley ranked at #10 in his top 50 rankings.

Shipley seems to be a prospect who is all over the map with scouts so it will be interesting to see how he comes along this year. If he puts it together he could fall right into place as the big, offensive centre this team has been needing. More then anything, it sounds like his ability to improve his skating will be the most important facet of his game going forward.
That would be Ryan Yessie's review:

Quote:
10 - Steven Shipley - Center - Owen Sound Attack
Apr-22-1992 - 6’2.25” - 205 lbs.
Scouting Report: Shipley is a guy I’ve flipped back and forth between Martindale. He’s one of the best puck protection centers in the OHL, and he can be dangerous when given a chance to shoot the puck. What has Shipley ranked so high for me is his ability to utilize his linemates and make him better by drawing the opposition towards him. His numbers would have been much higher with more talented wingers. Although Shipley has NHL ready size already, he needs to improve his accelerating, as well as touch up on his defensive responsibilities at times, but overall I’m very confident of his NHL potential.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Shipley has skated and played a bit with Joe Thornton

Quote:
One of the first thing young adults learn when entering the job market is who you know is just as important as what you know.

Owen Sound Attack center Steven Shipley has taken that lesson to heart. A 6-foot-2, 205-pound playmaker, he spent part of last summer skating with Hart and Art Ross trophy winner Joe Thornton. It helps that the pair hail from nearby towns -- Thornton is from London, Ont., while Shipley is from neighboring Ilderton.

And there's also this: "My agent is John Thornton, his brother," Shipley told NHL.com.

Like we said, it's who you know.

Shipley is working on building his own name this season. Ranked No. 43 by NHL Central Scouting on its final list of North American skaters available for the 2010 Entry Draft, he had 23 goals and 63 points in 68 games.

He's taken advantage of the summer shinny games with Thornton to admire the way the five-time NHL All-Star plays.
source: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/0...like-thornton/

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Superhero

Good size for a center but he is a wimp

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Kritty

Steven Shipley

Curious what Sabres fans think he will develop into. I'm hearing he plays a physical game and has offensive tools and could develop into a 2nd line C. Any thoughts?

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
OcAirlines

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=791715

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
Curious what Sabres fans think he will develop into. I'm hearing he plays a physical game and has offensive tools and could develop into a 2nd line C. Any thoughts?
Good size but not know for using it, good playmaker, needs to work on his skating... I'm hoping to see him live a few times this year either in St. Catherines or up in Mississagua to get a better feel for his game.