HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Mike Bossy

Old
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
unknown33

vCash: 500
Mike Bossy

Noticed that Bossy wasn't inducted into the HHoF in his first year of eligibility. He made it next year though.

Any reasonable explanations?

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:00 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Only 3 players were inducted that season, so it's not like they were "full."

Maybe they wanted to wait to induct him at the same time as teammate Potvin?

Maybe there were some old timers who wanted to punish Bossy for being an outspoken opponent of fighting in hockey?

Just speculation.

Edit: Lol, should have waited for a real answer.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Following the 1986-87 season, Mike Bossy announced that he was taking the next season off, to seek out medical remedy for his back and to see if it would improve. This proved unsuccessful, and he officially retired following the 1987-88 season.

As such, his 1991 induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame was in his first year of eligibility.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Canadiens1958

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Following the 1986-87 season, Mike Bossy announced that he was taking the next season off, to seek out medical remedy for his back and to see if it would improve. This proved unsuccessful, and he officially retired following the 1987-88 season.

As such, his 1991 induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame was in his first year of eligibility.
Correct. Context has to be added.Guy Lafleur was inducted into the HHOF in 1988 only to return to the NHL as a player resulting in additional concerns. There have been similar situations since - Mario Lemieux in 1997 as an example but in the Mike Bossy situation no other concerns were present beyond the explanation provided by Trottier and he should be viewed as a legit first ballot inductee.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:17 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:

I seem to recall some HHOF "exception" and them expediting his induction to ensure he was a first year eligible inductee.

Not sure if anyone recalls the details though.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Big Phil

I seem to forget how it was back then. I know recently guys like Stevens, MacInnis, Francis etc. didn't "officially" retire in 2004. They finished that year and then the lockout happened. Messier I believe actually did announce plans to retire following that season IIRC. But the rest of the players announced their retirement sometime during the lockout if I remember, this would be 2005.

But the rules now are the last game you played, not your announcement. Was it like that back in Bossy's day? Now that we look back it, I guess not.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Messier I believe actually did announce plans to retire following that season IIRC. But the rest of the players announced their retirement sometime during the lockout if I remember, this would be 2005.
Messier quietly announced his retirement the week of Hurricane Katrina, August-September, 2005. He was asked why no press conference, and he said that he thought it would be improper to seek any media attention, given what was going on in New Orleans at the time.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:42 AM
bleeney

Quote:
Messier quietly announced his retirement the week of Hurricane Katrina, August-September, 2005. He was asked why no press conference, and he said that he thought it would be improper to seek any media attention, given what was going on in New Orleans at the time.
There are so many stories these days about athletes being complete a-holes (steroids, lying to Congress, dog fights, shootings at strip clubs etc.), it's nice to read something like this for a change.

That was a very classy thing for Mess to do.

bleeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 06:44 AM
tony d
The man

I agree with the previous poster said about Messier. Another reason why hockey players are head and shoulders above other athletes as the classiest athletes in the world.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:15 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I agree with the previous poster said about Messier. Another reason why hockey players are head and shoulders above other athletes as the classiest athletes in the world.
completely agree with this - as I'm sure many on this board would.

hockey players seem to balance the whole "arrogance" vs "confidence" in a way that doesn't annoy fans and hurt their personal brand or that of the league. in other sports, this seems to have gotten significantly worse in recent years.

humility, when combined with elite skills and great achievements, is admirable.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
completely agree with this - as I'm sure many on this board would.

hockey players seem to balance the whole "arrogance" vs "confidence" in a way that doesn't annoy fans and hurt their personal brand or that of the league. in other sports, this seems to have gotten significantly worse in recent years.

humility, when combined with elite skills and great achievements, is admirable.
What do you expect when the majority of them are Canadian

Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote