HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

College Football

Old
09-02-2010, 11:12 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Haha Pitt Sucks.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:28 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Anyone going to the Mayors Cup?

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Ghost of Downie*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
2011 should be a good year considering the kids they brought in during the 2008 and 2009 recruiting campaigns.

Robinson was good, I'll give you that. Clark was very average, Devlin should have gotten the job but JayPa can't run an offense around a traditional qb as we saw with Morelli. Devlin got a raw deal and he knew it. That's why he bailed, he never got a fair shake. When I was at the Blue and White game in 2008 it was very clear Devlin was the better quarterback, most writers or fans there would have told you that.

JayPa is also an abomination when it comes to recruiting. He was given Ohio as his territory to recruit, but he hasn't brought anyone in two ****in years...he basically waves the white flag. He was fired twice already at PSU: once as the TE coach, the other as Head of Recruiting...but his dad keeps finding a new job for him.

In fact, no coach on the offense side of the ball does any recruiting at all. Only Bradley and Johnson make visits.....Joe hasn't left his house to recruit in two years now. They're really struggling this year getting kids. Pitt and Ohio State are cleaning their clock in western Pa...it's pathetic.

After Joe retires they're gonna blow the whole staff out, Jay won't be around too much longer. Moron has no business having his job in the first place, he only got it thanks to his dad.
Morelli was more of a bust than a failed weapon for Jay. The decision making that kid used was awful; he would have Derrick Williams wide open and underthrow a triple-covered Jordan Norwood in the endzone.

I have to disagree with you on Clark though. He was a very good QB; he doesn't have records in career TD's, single season passing yards, and single season TD's for nothing. He was stellar in 2008 up until his concussion in the tOSU game. The Iowa game was not good, but, in my opinion, he had no business being put in that game, definitely wasn't ready to come back. The loss in the Rose Bowl was no fault of Clark and the offense either. The secondary got absolutely carved up, showing how strong USC was in WR and how weak PSU was downfield. Last year, the O-line (outside of Wizniewski) was awful. Clark would drop back and have no time to set himself and throw; it's really a wonder how he passed as well as he did. Think of Penn State's losses last year. Iowa: rain, horrible special teams play, and getting decimated in the trenches. Same deal with Ohio State. Put the line that Morelli had in front of Clark, and I say they win both of those games (of course the special teams last year blew so hard that they still may have lost).

Is Jay the coach of the century? No. But I think he's found a nice niche as QB coach and an architect of the offense.

Let's not even talk about recruiting...If it weren't for Tom Bradley and LJ Sr., this program would be dead in the water (although Vanderlinden and McQueary do a moderately good job recruiting as well). They better keep Bradley and LJ on the staff at least, if Bradley doesn't get the job, for which I'm sure he'll be a candidate. My dream though is to have a guy like Pat Fitzgerald or Al Golden replace Joe with Bradley staying on as DC. That defense might be even better than the ones they've been cranking out lately, except for 2005 which was probably one of the best defensive years PSU's ever had. Lee-Pos-Connor as LB's, Tamba Hali on DE, Zemaitis, Harrell, Lowry, and Phillips in the secondary...It really pisses me off looking back at the Michigan game. If Lloyd Carr didn't get those two ****ing seconds put back on the clock, Penn State's looking at a possible spot in the championship game.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:06 AM
bobbyboucher24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Anyone going to the Mayors Cup?

I'll be heading down today, rooting on my Villanova Wildcats. Hopefully my Cats can start Temple's season off on the wrong foot just like last year. I'll be there tailgaiting at 2:00 wearing my Westbrook throwback jersey

bobbyboucher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I'd like to make a bold prediction this year about Temple, because last year I said they'd make a bowl game and got laughed at by anyone who I told (they went 9-4), but the only bold bold thing would be something like an undefeated season, or finishing the season in the top 25. This year I'll go with being in the MAC Championship Game. They almost did it last year, but lost the last game of the season @ Ohio, which was essentially a playoff game. After Villanova, they have a couple tough OOC games with UConn and, uh, @ Penn State (again), with Central Michigan thrown in there who had 12 wins last year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
JayPa is also an abomination when it comes to recruiting. He was given Ohio as his territory to recruit, but he hasn't brought anyone in two ****in years...he basically waves the white flag. He was fired twice already at PSU: once as the TE coach, the other as Head of Recruiting...but his dad keeps finding a new job for him.
Noone's going to beat OSU and Michigan in Ohio, that's just the way it is. Losing in western PA is pretty pathetic though.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24 View Post
I'll be heading down today, rooting on my Villanova Wildcats. Hopefully my Cats can start Temple's season off on the wrong foot just like last year. I'll be there tailgaiting at 2:00 wearing my Westbrook throwback jersey
I hope we bury you and your ****** friends.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Morelli was more of a bust than a failed weapon for Jay. The decision making that kid used was awful; he would have Derrick Williams wide open and underthrow a triple-covered Jordan Norwood in the endzone.

I have to disagree with you on Clark though. He was a very good QB; he doesn't have records in career TD's, single season passing yards, and single season TD's for nothing. He was stellar in 2008 up until his concussion in the tOSU game. The Iowa game was not good, but, in my opinion, he had no business being put in that game, definitely wasn't ready to come back. The loss in the Rose Bowl was no fault of Clark and the offense either. The secondary got absolutely carved up, showing how strong USC was in WR and how weak PSU was downfield. Last year, the O-line (outside of Wizniewski) was awful. Clark would drop back and have no time to set himself and throw; it's really a wonder how he passed as well as he did. Think of Penn State's losses last year. Iowa: rain, horrible special teams play, and getting decimated in the trenches. Same deal with Ohio State. Put the line that Morelli had in front of Clark, and I say they win both of those games (of course the special teams last year blew so hard that they still may have lost).

Is Jay the coach of the century? No. But I think he's found a nice niche as QB coach and an architect of the offense.
Fair enough; we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie
Let's not even talk about recruiting...If it weren't for Tom Bradley and LJ Sr., this program would be dead in the water (although Vanderlinden and McQueary do a moderately good job recruiting as well). They better keep Bradley and LJ on the staff at least, if Bradley doesn't get the job, for which I'm sure he'll be a candidate. My dream though is to have a guy like Pat Fitzgerald or Al Golden replace Joe with Bradley staying on as DC.
I would like for Bradley and Johnson to stay on, but I doubt it. I think Spanier is gonna blow everyone out like he did at Nebraska. As long as they go outside the program to replace Joe I'll be happy. I would love for Golden to replace Joe even though Golden did leave PSU on bad terms before he went to Virginia. I like what he's doing at Temple. He's brining in decent recruits considering it's Temple. I'd like to see him stay a couple more years but I doubt he will, too many big jobs to turn down. Most of his staff is PSU guys already, it looks like a good fit to me.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
how does vbookie work?
Each person is given 500 vCash (under your avatar). You can make a wager up to 500 or whatever is in your account based on prior wagers. Here is a link to the games and events (which are updated as often as possible):

http://hfboards.com/vbookie.php?

If you go bust, the house generally adds 50 to the account. If a team is the favorite (expected to win) then the odds are smaller.

A created example: Nationals (200) at Phillies (25)

If the Phillies are playing the Nationals in Philadelphia with Halladay pitching, you'd get a return of 25 for every 100 if you wagered on the favorite and they won. A 100 bet on the Nationals would get you 200 in return.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Each person is given 500 vCash (under your avatar). You can make a wager up to 500 or whatever is in your account based on prior wagers. Here is a link to the games and events (which are updated as often as possible):

http://hfboards.com/vbookie.php?

If you go bust, the house generally adds 50 to the account. If a team is the favorite (expected to win) then the odds are smaller.

A created example: Nationals (200) at Phillies (25)

If the Phillies are playing the Nationals in Philadelphia with Halladay pitching, you'd get a return of 25 for every 100 if you wagered on the favorite and they won. A 100 bet on the Nationals would get you 200 in return.
got it, thanks!

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I guess Pitt was looking ahead to that big game against New Hampshire next weekend

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Fair enough; we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I would like for Bradley and Johnson to stay on, but I doubt it. I think Spanier is gonna blow everyone out like he did at Nebraska. As long as they go outside the program to replace Joe I'll be happy. I would love for Golden to replace Joe even though Golden did leave PSU on bad terms before he went to Virginia. I like what he's doing at Temple. He's brining in decent recruits considering it's Temple. I'd like to see him stay a couple more years but I doubt he will, too many big jobs to turn down. Most of his staff is PSU guys already, it looks like a good fit to me.
Sounds good, we'll just agree that Ohio State has no business claiming Big Ten championships in 2005 and 2008.

Yeah, I feel like Bradley will leave if they bring in someone from the outside; he's been Joe's 2nd-in-command for like 10 years, turned down interviews at a few different jobs (pretty sure WVU offered him one after RichRod ran off to Michigan), etc. I could see Joe pulling a little weight even when he leaves though; if Bradley and LJ want to stay, I would imagine Joe would make sure they could stay.

Definitely impressed with Golden's progress at Temple. That was a team that was considering Bowl Championship Sub-Division or whatever the hell they're calling it these days. That being said, it would probably take a lot to get him to leave Temple right now, and a king's ransom to get Fitzgerald away from Northwestern.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:27 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Sounds good, we'll just agree that Ohio State has no business claiming Big Ten championships in 2005 and 2008.
Yeah, that is so absurd. "Sharing" a championship? Atleast with Nebraska joining the Big Ten there will be a clear cut winner thanks to a championship game.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

<3 Matty Sczcur, Temple has no answer on defense. Their kicker is a monster though.

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

What in the hell is wrong with Andy Talley? That loss is all on him. The conservative playcalling in the 4th quarter let Temple back in it when it should've been long over, then when they give us a total gift fumble, he tries to throw it twice and leaves 2 minutes on the clock? Stupid. Just stupid. We better not fall too far down the FCS ranks because of this cluster****.

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

That was a thrilling yet strange end. Anyways it wouldn't look good for Temple trying to prove they're a for real football program if they keep losing to FCS teams let alone the same one.

Old
09-03-2010, 09:19 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Great start for my Marshall Thundering Herd yesterday vs. OSU WVU next week

Good thing i keep Penn St. in the back pocket.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:01 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That was a thrilling yet strange end. Anyways it wouldn't look good for Temple trying to prove they're a for real football program if they keep losing to FCS teams let alone the same one.
You mean champions? A champion in the D1AA is better than many many ****** D1 programs.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
What in the hell is wrong with Andy Talley? That loss is all on him. The conservative playcalling in the 4th quarter let Temple back in it when it should've been long over, then when they give us a total gift fumble, he tries to throw it twice and leaves 2 minutes on the clock? Stupid. Just stupid. We better not fall too far down the FCS ranks because of this cluster****.
Horrible, horrible play calling. Lost the game for you when you threw on 2nd and 12. No faith in your kicker.

Old
09-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Flyerfan808

I went to the Hawaii-USC opener last night. Gotta say that USC looks bad... and I mean REALLY bad on defense. They need to get their **** together before they go play Oregon, Oregon St. and Washington. I don't think that USC will stay in the top 25 if they perform the way they did last night.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 05:40 AM
bobbyboucher24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Yes definitely bad/conservative play calling by Talley. He knew they needed to score a TD, I knew they needed to score a TD, but he got away from what had been working all game, and that was quick runs/tosses/misdirections. Nova had consistently moved the ball using this method. That being said, Temple's Defense decided to show up in the 4th quarter. Nova also got hurt by that long 1 play TD toss. Temple's QB has a strong arm but overthrew open receivers several times earlier in the game. Nova's secondary should have still covered the guy better than that. All this being said, you can't allow a team with no timeouts left to move the ball down the field and have an opportunity to kick the winning FG with time expiring. Nova needed to run more time off the clock before kicking what should have been the game winning FG. Talley has to take the heat for this loss.

bobbyboucher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 08:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
You mean champions? A champion in the D1AA is better than many many ****** D1 programs.
Temple isn't one of those **** programs anymore though. Maybe the Temple of 4 or 5 years ago.

Old
09-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I'm looking at you, UVA...and a few other ACC teams.

In VT related news, watch out for Ryan Willians. If that guy improves upon his freshman year, he's going to be epic. Too bad the defense might suck for the first time in a long time.

edit: William's numbers last year: 1,655 rushing yards, 21 touchdowns, in his first year. The guy is a blast to watch.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 09-04-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:21 PM
UseYourAllusion

**** 'em up, **** 'em up, go CU!

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

What an amazing ending to the Tulsa-ECU game.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote