HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What would be your opening day lineup?

Old
09-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
What would be your opening day lineup?

With training camp fast approaching, what would be your guess for the opening day lineup? Who do you think will make the team out of camp?

Remember that Greene will be out injured and assume no players from outside the organization are added before the season starts. You can use gapgeek to set your lines and payroll:

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculato....php?teamId=17

Here's my guess for opening night:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Justin Williams ($3.500m)
Brad Richardson ($0.900m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($3.200m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($0.821m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Scott Parse ($0.900m)
Richard Clune ($0.550m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Drew Doughty ($3.475m)
Jack Johnson ($1.425m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Johan Fransson ($0.690m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)
Peter Harrold ($0.583m) / *Matt Greene ($2.950m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) /Jonathan Bernier ($0.843m)

BUYOUTS: Alyn McCauley ($0.666m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,181,667; BONUSES: $5,170,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $5,673,333

*Greene will be on IR to start the season

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 06:04 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

You would put Frannie in over A-Mart? Frannie needs at least a half a season in the A in my opinion to get his game up to speed before he should start getting his call ups to the big club. What I have seen of him is a good skater who is easily pressured off the puck in the corners but then I only watched him play once in person and then saw about a 30 minute scouting tape of him.

He could become good enough but I am hoping that he either has vastly improved or doesn't make our opening night roster. For my money it would be Davis and Hickey with A-Mart as the call up at out bottom pairing kids. But with Greenie or WM pairing up with a kid it could be the right time I suppose.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Looking at our opening night roster as you have it posted which looks right enough by the way, I can't see us being a legitimate Cup contender just yet. Not enough speed/sniping up front for my money but then again, who knows?

Old
09-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Looking at our opening night roster as you have it posted which looks right enough by the way, I can't see us being a legitimate Cup contender just yet. Not enough speed/sniping up front for my money but then again, who knows?
I'm fine with that. It's not like the core is entering their prime anyways, plus all you have to do is finish in the top 8 to have a shot at the cup. If Bernier gets hot at the right time, who knows?

I've always said that the Kings are at least 3 years away from being true contenders and Dean will have a lot of opportunies to add to the roster. Brown will just be entering his prime and Koptiar, Doughty, Johnson, Quick/Bernier, Simmonds, Schenn, etc will still be on the cusp of entering their prime. No need to panic this off season and makes trades just to make them.

It has to be the right player and the right cost. I actually agree with Dean this time. I like the direction this team is going. I think getting Scuderi and Mitchell were huge for this franchise. If they can win a couple of rounds this season, more players will view LA as a destination.

Old
09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I couldn't agree more with you regarding Scuderi and WM being huge for our team in many ways. I also agree that our core as it stands now is still just entering its prime or nearing it anyways. I see us as two players and three years away from actually contending as long as we don't panic.

That said it is an absolute fact that DL has been working very hard on one specific deal ever since the Kovy addition failed. (which I am glad about now in retrospect). It would send a couple of our younger core players away if it happened and of course would speed up the clock on our time frame to contend/win a cup.

What I am liking about DL today is that while he is working on deals to improve our team (arguably) that he has yet to make a panic deal this off season. I think he is learning from his mistakes. If the right fit comes along then he will make it happen. I can't see another panic trade coming our way like the last few off seasons.

Old
09-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Johnny Utah

Opening agaisnt tough teams like Atlanta and Vancouver Westgarth should be in there starting. No guarantee on Clifford or Schenn either.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Parse - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Schenn - Brown
Poni - Handzus - Simmonds
Clifford - Richardson - Lewis

Doughty - Scuderi
Johnson - Mitchell
Drewiske - Martinez

Bernier/Quick

didn't check the capgeek but this is working

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Smyth - Schenn - Brown

Doughty - Scuderi
Johnson - Mitchell
Drewiske - Martinez

Bernier/Quick

Dude, as much as you try to get rid of him, Stoll's still on the team.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Smyth - Schenn - Brown

Doughty - Scuderi
Johnson - Mitchell
Drewiske - Martinez

Bernier/Quick

You really hate Stoll don't you? Is he in Manchester?

Old
09-03-2010, 07:12 PM
johnjm22

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Ponikarovsky-Stoll-Brown
Richards-Handzus-Simmonds
Parse-Schenn-Clifford
Westgarth

Doughty-Johnson
Scuderi-Hickey/Fransson
Mitchell-Muzzin
Drewiske

Quick
Bernier

I don't think we'll see a Doughty/Scuderi pair to start the season. With two rookies most likely making the opening night lineup, Scuderi's services are needed shielding one of them. Same for Mitchell. And considering Mitchell is just came off a major injury, I think it makes sense to work him back into the game by starting him on the bottom pair mentoring one of our rookies. He's perfect for Muzz.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Opening agaisnt tough teams like Atlanta and Vancouver Westgarth should be in there starting. No guarantee on Clifford or Schenn either.
I would rather roll 4 lines against a team like Vancouver.

Old
09-03-2010, 07:16 PM
johnjm22

Tonellisghost, I don't know why you're so high on Martinez. He was unimpressive when he got his chance. I don't think the org is nearly as high on him as they once were. Voynov/Hickey/Muzzin/Drewiske and possibly Fransson have all passed him on depth chart.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Johnny Utah

I like JonJm's line up but I still think Clune and Westgarth have the inside track on Clifford. Schenn could probably break in.

As for rolling 4 lines agaisnt Vancouver, did you not watch the playoffs? They are even tougher now with Bieska, O'Brien, Ballard, Hamhuis, Rypien, Hordichuk, Torres and Glass. Kings can't match that amount of toughness. We need bigger guys in the line up especially with Greene out. No way Clifford or Simmonds can match up with Rypien or Hordi.

Old
09-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.500m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($3.200m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Brad Richardson ($0.900m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($0.821m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Kyle Clifford ($0.870m)
Richard Clune ($0.550m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($3.475m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Jack Johnson ($1.425m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m) / Johan Fransson ($0.690m)
Peter Harrold ($0.583m) /
Matt Greene ($2.950m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) /Jonathan Bernier ($0.843m)

BUYOUTS: Alyn McCauley ($0.666m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,181,667; BONUSES: $5,170,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $5,673,333

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:40 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
I'd clone Doughty 19 times and just have a team full of him. That team would go 82-0 and sweep every playoff series

Last edited by CNS: 09-03-2010 at 08:53 PM.
CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I'd clown Doughty 19 times and just have a team full of him. That team would go 82-0 and sweep every playoff series
Clown that ****!

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:53 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Clown that ****!

FML. I'm tired and jetlagged.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Tonellisghost, I don't know why you're so high on Martinez. He was unimpressive when he got his chance. I don't think the org is nearly as high on him as they once were. Voynov/Hickey/Muzzin/Drewiske and possibly Fransson have all passed him on depth chart.
I don't know JohnJm,

I don't think that I am over rating A Mart at all. I see him as a depth (6-7) dman who can skate pretty well and if he is brought along this next season at the right pace I can see him having the upside of being a pmd who I would have no problem as my #6 guy.

I had the chance to ask Luc what he thought about A Mart and this was as recently as two weeks ago and he said something like "he should make the team this year" and "the kid can skate really well, too bad about his injury last year, he might have made it then". I know I have it in quotes but I am really going by memory so take it for what it is worth.

The thing about him is that he can skate really well and if you watch his first pass he puts it on the stick of his outlet with amazing consistency. Yes he needs work and arguably allot of it but, those two items are what separates AM from allot of NHL dmen and makes me think he has a shot.

Also, I don't see where my supporting A Mart as a depth D guy in any way says that I think that he will be more valuable than any of our other top D prospects at all. A Mart is the most ready (other than Hickey imo) our kids is all that I am saying about him.

No doubt Muzz, VV and the rest have significantly higher upside but then that is another point.

Also, Johnny Utah, you couldn't be more right imo about Westy and Clune/Clifford getting allot of ice time early on. With Westy injured (but working his butt off to make it back as fast as possible) I think that this will open the door for Clifford and Clune to get a ton of hard nosed checking line minutes until he makes it back. I could also see a couple of other dark horses getting some time too.

I know that if we think that we can make any sort of noise this season without a few legitimate tough/hard nosed guys in our line up that we are seriously fooling ourselves.

Bring back the bench clearing brawls and then we will see who deserves the cup for real. No more hand shakes at the end of one teams tough guy scrapping with the other teams tough guy. It's just wrong.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Johnny Utah

Look how tough the East is. The Duck got tougher with Sutton and Voros, McLaren will be with the Sharks this year, Bissonette got a two year extension in Phoenix. The Canucks are loaded with toughness and bullied us in the playoffs. The West is no push over either and the Kings will need gritty guys to make some noise and get into the playoffs with a gritty reputation.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:39 AM
northernKing

Smyth-Kopitar-Simmonds
Poni-Loktionov-Brown
Stoll-Handzus-Williams
Parse-Richardson-Clune
Westgarth/Schenn

DD WM
Scuderi Hickey
JJ Drewiskie
Harrold

Quick Bernier

This is my prediction based on what the coaches seem to like. The main question is what happens with Schenn. He would probably not learn much more going back to junior and is not eliginle to play in the AHL. If he is out performed by Clifford or Loktionov then DL has a very hard decision. Do you return Clifford to junior to round out his game and make him a better all around player? Do you send Loki to the AHL because you can and he could still benefit from 1st line minutes there?

Schenn will get at least 9 games IMO and then the tough decision will be made. IMO he could still contribute on the 4th line and move up when called upon or injuries or slumps come LA's way. Much like Richardson did last year.

Ideally Schenn steps right in and the lineup looks like this.

Poni-Kopitar-Simmonds (Kopi gets linemates with size,speed and finish)
Smyth-Schenn-Brown (Schenn eases into the 2nd line C role with rugged wingers)
Stoll-Handzus-Williams (Stoll adds his FO ability to the shut down line)
Clifford-Richardson-Clune ( very solid 4th line that is physical and has some scoring potential)

ex-Parse, Westgarth (play depending on opposition)

DD-WM
Scuderi-Hickey
JJ-Drewiske
Harrold

Quick
Bernier

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 01:57 AM
willie

I know Schenn & Clifford are the buzz boys coming in but why so little love for Trevor Lewis? I realize injuries hurt his progress last year but he had a solid playoff. He's young enough to keep developing and I still think he can be a top-notch bottom-6 forward. (with the versatility to play wing or center and slot in to the top-6 in a pinch ala Richardson) Anyone else think he's gonna have a strong camp and work his way into the lineup?

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:58 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Dude, as much as you try to get rid of him, Stoll's still on the team.

And if we're lucky Martinez won't be.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

If we could get a 6th round pick for him, I'm all for that. It's all about asset management.......

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
.....why so little love for Trevor Lewis?

Given guys like Schenn/Clifford, there just isn't any room for Trevor Lewis. Lewis needs to be "bundled" with Martinez and together (maybe) they can fetch us a 4th round pick.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:23 AM
R0CKET

Smyth / Kopitar / Williams
Poni / Stoll / Brown
Richardson / Handzus / Simmonds
Clifford / Schenn / Parse
Westgarth/Clune

Drewiske / Doughty
Scuderi / Johnson
Mitchell / Hickey
Voynov/Muzzin

Bernier / Quick

Camp this year is going to be really interesting.

We definitely have talent to fill all the spots but the question is experience and (unfortunately) durability.

Of the 4 fwd lines above the only line that really has none of these question marks is the 3rd line - that group should be able to be counted on for production and a full season. But will both Williams AND Smyth be up to turning in a full schedule, no would be the the safest bet. So we are in need of 2 wings that can be called up, not necessarily to take the 1st line spot but to be able to handle the NHL and not get killed or lose games for us. I would guess that Lokti would be the first to get that call, after that who knows (Holloway/Cliche/Czarnik??).

As much as I would love to see both Schenn AND Clifford take jobs out of camp what if they don't or can't (at this point)? Lets just hope they can. Overall I feel like fwd positions are our weak link (today), and more specifically wing, as we head into the season. Could also use more toughness as well IMO.

Defense is a much different situation. We actually have top tier talent in excess IMO that could be able to take those open spots (6th and 7th) as well as handle to call-up duties if one of our horses goes down. Question here is who among these guys will step forward and claim those 2 positions; Hickey, Voynov, Muzzin, Fransson / Martinez? Even though he's hurt, its also possible that Tuebert could progress (not saying he will) to be one of those call ups after he recovers.

I would bet that this is where the most watchful eyes in camp from the coaching staff will be riveted. Does Hickey (who DL has placed so much into) put together what he saw in him? How good really is Fransson? Is Voynov able and ready for the NHL, much has been said about Muzzin?

I picked Hickey because I think they have to find out what he can do and if he can't then he gets sent to Manchester and even possibly dealt. Then Voynov because he's paid his dues and did very well last season. But who knows, maybe Muzzin just knocks everyones socks off, or Fransson is a huge asset moving the puck and you just can't send him down? With the building of talent at the D position, and the signings of Scuds and Mitchell, this is the season that Dean SHOULD have enough to really cover all the spots and excel as one of the really good defense units in the NHL.

Last edited by R0CKET: 09-04-2010 at 07:29 AM.
R0CKET is offline   Reply With Quote