HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Richard's Job safe no matter what this year?

Old
09-02-2010, 03:08 PM
countrygentleman
The Kaptain Says ARR

vCash: 500
Is Richard's Job safe no matter what this year?

Just reporting what yahoo puck daddy's blog said today on possible coaching changes mid-year or after.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content
Quote:
There are a few obvious choices as far as NHL coaches looking at the axe glistening above their heads this season.

Todd Richards was brought in to help change the culture and philosophy of the Minnesota Wild; it's not outlandish to believe he could be gone if the offense sputters and the defense is as porous as last season.
So, in your view, when he was hired, did Richards automatically receive a two-year guaranteed job? Or was last year the only "guaranteed" one where he was safe from being fired and there's a chance he could be fired if we're bad this year.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:16 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Yes and no. I think that Richards has the benefit of the doubt this year but that if things go horribly awry, he can be canned. That's not to say it has to do with a win-loss record or that the Wild must make the playoffs this season, but certain aspects of the team (the offense, play on the road) need to show improvement for this season to be considered a success.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think he could be gone by Jan 1 if the team has huge stretches of losses. Fletcher doesn't see this team as being as bad as they finished last year, and he improved the team quite a bit this offseason.

I do think Wilson's hiring could signal that Richards needs to shore up defensively, and if that doesn't happen, we might see him gone and Hitchcock brought in. Especially if the team finishes more than a couple points out of a playoff spot and gives up as many goals as last year.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see Hitchcock being a Fletcher guy.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Yes and no. I think that Richards has the benefit of the doubt this year but that if things go horribly awry, he can be canned. That's not to say it has to do with a win-loss record or that the Wild must make the playoffs this season, but certain aspects of the team (the offense, play on the road) need to show improvement for this season to be considered a success.

I agree with this. It comes down to consistency. If the team improves their defense and road play, I think he will be fine. But if they do not show any improvement over last year, then I think Fletcher will look to bring in someone next offseason.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I don't see the Wild as the kind of club to do a mid-season reactionary firing, but I certainly expect his performance next season to basically be the only determiner of if he coaches '11-'12.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What I mean is if the Wild are bottom five by December, we'll probably see a change. I don't see Fletcher and Leipold settling for a lottery pick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 05:10 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Yep. You could even argue that he deserves at least three years because the personnel on the current roster may still be not what is needed in order for Richards' system to be truly effective.

I think the danger here is that people will approach this year already sour on Richards based off what happened last year (which there are so many factors that went into it, most of which had nothing to do with Richards) and that even the slightest misstep will mean the torches and pitchforks will get broken out.

If I can draw a local sports analogy, look how Brad Childress and the Vikings have progressed during his tenure, where he's a.) now familiar with being an NFL head coach, and b.) surrounded by the personnel he wants for his system.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Kari Takko

I don't think we'll struggle out of the gate like we did last year. I think we'll get into the playoffs and maybe sneak into the 2nd round if we get some hot goaltending.

That being said, if we're a bottom dweller, Richards will be replaced.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 05:36 PM
BigT2002

Yes. He's the Rich Rod of the NHL. They'll give him 3 seasons to work something before canning him.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 07:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Yes. He's the Rich Rod of the NHL. They'll give him 3 seasons to work something before canning him.
^this.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Considering our owner is the same guy who had Barry Trotz as coach his whole tenure in Nashville, I don't see him or Fletcher being quick on trigger with Richards.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Considering our owner is the same guy who had Barry Trotz as coach his whole tenure in Nashville, I don't see him or Fletcher being quick on trigger with Richards.
The difference is that Trotz is a GREAT coach, considering what he has to work with. On a fairly stiff budget, they're seemingly always in the race, or close to it at the least, by the end of the season.

They draft well, albeit unspectacularly, develop most of their own talent, stick to their system and they actually made the playoffs last year.

Alternatively

We've drafted TERRIBLY in the DR years, Haven't had a first round pick that wasn't a bust in years, we stuck to Lemaire's system, but Richards can't make that claim and we weren't close to the playoffs last year.

I'd rather have Trotz coach a limited budget team over what Richards did last year.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote