HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roman Josi, what's his potential?

Old
09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

vCash: 500
Roman Josi, what's his potential?

Hey
Stars fan here and also a fan of Swiss prospects. What is the potential of your prospect Roman Josi? Will he become a top 4 D? Would like to know more about him and why not ask you guys.
Also I read his profile on hockeysfuture and it say's he could play his first game this season? Is that true?
Thanks

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
nabby12

He has good hands and a good shot...I dont see why not! he can most certainly make his nhl debut this year!

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Liquidfire3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
He has good hands and a good shot...I dont see why not! he can most certainly make his nhl debut this year!
On any other team, maybe.
But not on the Preds, way too many people in line with him.
Sulzer, Parent, Franson (if he signs), Laakso, Blum.
I could go on with potential NHL D-men.
I cant really say much about him, thats not my specialty so I wont go off and praise him nor criticize him, but a NHL spot is quite a stretch.

Liquidfire3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:01 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I didn't expect to see him crack the roster for the Preds, but will he get a couple of games in the NHL? Will he make his NHL debut this season?

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
I didn't expect to see him crack the roster for the Preds, but will he get a couple of games in the NHL? Will he make his NHL debut this season?
I'd definitely say the potential is there for Josi to make his NHL debut this season. Word out of Switzerland is that many long time observers of the Swiss Elite League believe that Josi is more advanced in his development as a 20 year-old than Mark Streit was when he left for the NHL at the age of 28.

Roman will likely (99% sure) start the year in the AHL, but if he can make the adjustment to the smaller rinks in North America and prove himself to be a reliable defender at the AHL level than I can see a callup this season and potentially being given a legitimate opportunity to make the NHL lineup next season out of camp.

Josi is one of my favorite prospects right now and I'm very excited to see him hit the ice September 13th when the rookie training camp begins. Remember, Roman has been playing against men since he made his elite league debut at the age of 16. I really believe his development time might not be as long as a prospect coming out of juniors would be...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:42 PM
braindead

2nd coming of Kimmo Timonen.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Good at everything. Incredibly smart player. Timonen isn't a bad comparison.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:01 PM
lightning_legwand*

I personally think he has just as much of a shot to make the team this year as Blum does. Blum has been more highly touted because he was a 1st round pick and also plays in North American.

I think alot of people are going to be really overwhelmed when they see how much potential Josi oozes when he starts in the A this season.

I have him tabbed as the 1st/2nd call-up for defensemen this season for the preds. I think he will be a second coming of Timonen as well. Definitely have higher hopes for him than Mark Streit.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:05 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfire3240 View Post
On any other team, maybe.
But not on the Preds, way too many people in line with him.
Sulzer, Parent, Franson (if he signs), Laakso, Blum.
I could go on with potential NHL D-men.
I cant really say much about him, thats not my specialty so I wont go off and praise him nor criticize him, but a NHL spot is quite a stretch.
Fact are that Josi is already better than every prospects that the Preds have...

Josi will most likely make he's NHL debut this year.

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:31 AM
elduderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
Fact are that Josi is already better than every prospects that the Preds have...
Geez, you're are the worst homer on this boards. On every thread which discusses swiss players or prospects you're way over board with your projections. On the prospect board you called Josi already Norris calibre. You can't be serious...

elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Right now Josi is behind Sulzer, Blum, Laakso. Ryan Ellis might get some NHL time as well. Josi will spend full time in Milwaukee.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 12:34 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Right now Josi is behind Sulzer, Blum, Laakso. Ryan Ellis might get some NHL time as well. Josi will spend full time in Milwaukee.
Josi will be ahead of Sulzer and Laakso less than a month into the season.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 12:38 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Josi will be ahead of Sulzer and Laakso less than a month into the season.
Maybe, I want to see how he handles Milwaukee first and either of SUlzer or Laakso can be traded as well.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Josi legitimately has the chance to earn his way to Nashville this season with a good start to the season in training camp and a quick adjustment to the AHL.

If that happens, look for him to leapfrog many of the prospects currently in front of him and possibly move ahead of Blum on the depth charts by season's end.

I think Josi has the highest ceiling of all of our defensive prospects currently. Question is, how quick and how much will he realize it...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-04-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

I like Josi, I think he has a good skill set and could be a good defenseman in the NHL... but he is not a better prospect than Wilson. He still has question marks around his game that could relegate him to role player duty if not resolved.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:01 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah, but Josi must be absolutely awesome, because we've seen more of Blum and think that he won't be an immediate savior.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think, when all is said and done, Josi will be more of an impact player in the NHL than Blum. I would personally rate Josi behind only Wilson in terms of our prospects. Granted, I've seen Josi in smaller doses, but he's significantly wowed me each time, and I think he vastly outplayed the more-hyped Luca Sbisa and was, along with Neiderreiter and Conz, Switzerland's best player at the last WJC. I wish he had been healthy enough to take part in the Olympics, as well.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:35 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

I like Josi, I think he has a good skill set and could be a good defenseman in the NHL... but he is not a better prospect than Wilson. He still has question marks around his game that could relegate him to role player duty if not resolved.
Even as a defenseman, Josi is IMO better than Wilson considering the stats of Josi 21 pts in 26 games playing in a similar league level, and was like 4th leading goals scorer in the Swiss NLA, almost 1 pt per game while Wilson got 34 pts in 40 games as a foward in the AHL.

Once he improve his defensive awareness, he'll be more valuable to the Preds than Wilson will ever be.

Old
09-05-2010, 11:46 AM
OpenWheel

Great that you, and others, feel Josi is looking good.

But having Suter and Weber, if Josi is more valuable to the Preds than Wilson will ever be (Really? Not even one great season for Wilson?) , Wilson will probably have been a bit of a disappointment.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Let's keep it civil people.

1) Josi and Blum and Ellis are going to push the issue with the Preds. I would not be shocked to see both Laakso and Sulzer traded for picks or players. When the junior season ends Ellis and COR are coming. They can fill 2 spots in Milwaukee. Then the NCAA season ends and there is Jeff Foss. (Not much NHL potential but can fill a spot in Milwaukee. Blum could be in Nashville this year but he would need an injury or a trade for that to happen

Old
09-05-2010, 03:49 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Even as a defenseman, Josi is IMO better than Wilson considering the stats of Josi 21 pts in 26 games playing in a similar league level, and was like 4th leading goals scorer in the Swiss NLA, almost 1 pt per game while Wilson got 34 pts in 40 games as a foward in the AHL.

Once he improve his defensive awareness, he'll be more valuable to the Preds than Wilson will ever be.
Using statistics as a comparison point is a big stretch. Janne Niskala scored 19 goals and 49 points in the Elitserien before he came to North America. Ville Koistinen led all SM-Liiga defensemen in scoring before jumping to the NHL. They combined for 109 NHL games.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 05:28 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Preds Are So Stacked On Defense!

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 03:27 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Using statistics as a comparison point is a big stretch. Janne Niskala scored 19 goals and 49 points in the Elitserien before he came to North America. Ville Koistinen led all SM-Liiga defensemen in scoring before jumping to the NHL. They combined for 109 NHL games.
I'm talking Josi here, who care about those 2? Josi play in the Swiss league while Niskala had a season in the NLA who had a mere 29 pts in 44 games in NLA.

Neither those 2 Dmen were a point per games in their respective league, except Niskala in Sweden but that's a different league, something that Josi was nearly in the Swiss League. Neither of them have the size, age and body frame of Josi.

Old
09-06-2010, 06:25 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Yes you're talking about Josi, a prospect we are all high on. A prospect who has yet to lace them up for a single NHL game. Worstfaceoffman is talking about two other prospects who played NHL games after being highly rated prospects and failed to pan out. Both were playing at a high level in Europe, came to North America, and bombed. I think it's ok to include them in the discussion here.

We all hope Roman does well. Where the agreement ends is we HOPE he does well and you seem to KNOW he's the next coming of Lidstrom. I know I'm putting words in your mouth here so to speak, but he has yet to do anything at the NHL level. He isn't proven at all. He could be great, he could be horrible. More realistically he could simply be serviceable.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 11:18 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I'm talking Josi here, who care about those 2? Josi play in the Swiss league while Niskala had a season in the NLA who had a mere 29 pts in 44 games in NLA.

Neither those 2 Dmen were a point per games in their respective league, except Niskala in Sweden but that's a different league, something that Josi was nearly in the Swiss League. Neither of them have the size, age and body frame of Josi.
So comparables from Europe shouldn't be used here because they don't match your overly optimistic view of Josi?

Josi has a great upside, but, still needs to transition to the North American game. He's in an organization with a ton of defensive talent where making the NHL roster will be a fight. Our AHL starting six could be Sulzer, Laakso, Josi, Blum, Palin, Johnson with Foss, COR and Ellis a year away from making the jump to the pros.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote