HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Editing schools in Montreal

Old
09-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

vCash: 500
Video Editing schools in Montreal

Hey all

I am looking for a Video Editing school in Montreal.

Anybody know some that you can recommend me ?

Thanks !

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:34 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
Hey all

I am looking for a Video Editing school in Montreal.

Anybody know some that you can recommend me ?

Thanks !
any school that offers exclusively video editing will be destined to two things:

1) Charge you 12-16k
2) Not give you skills that you couldnt learn on your own

Start with this: www.videocopilot.net

There are some very very useful books out there as well. Just spend a lot of time doing stuff on your own. You dont need a specialized school to develop the right skills for this field. It's a waste of money (Herzing, College Inter-dec, etc).

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Weip

Yeah, for the price, videocopilot.net is better than any school at $15 000. I don't know if "Centre NAD" do only 3d...

Weip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
neofury*

While we're on the subject of schools (didn't want to make a similar OT thread) I'm considering going into a program for Audio Engineering at Vanier. It's a 6 month program and only 12 students are accepted per semester. Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it or knows anything about it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
While we're on the subject of schools (didn't want to make a similar OT thread) I'm considering going into a program for Audio Engineering at Vanier. It's a 6 month program and only 12 students are accepted per semester. Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it or knows anything about it.
i've been at vanier for a good while and I've never heard of it. I wouldn't put any stock into any class there anyway. You rarely learn anything useful in cegep.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i've been at vanier for a good while and I've never heard of it. I wouldn't put any stock into any class there anyway. You rarely learn anything useful in cegep.
It isn't a normal program. It's one of those ones where you actually get a degree(Those noname type degrees). It's more of a trade. Don't get me wrong it isn't the same as graduating college/uni, but it's some form of piece of paper.

I believe it's a 30 hour a week program. The reason I ask is because Vanier is known for their music program and I was wondering if that is also the case for this Audio Engineering program as well. It isn't a 3 year program or anything just a 6 month program. This is why I was weary. They say it's as good if not better than other programs in the industry, cheaper and you learn more because apparently 4 teachers for 12 students. Problem is it still costs 8500$ and I don't care about finding a job after but I want to be damn good at using midi equipment, software's such as Protools, and other audio engineering equipment. (It's not for a job, I want to learn how to run my own studio, personal entrepreneurial type stuff)

Obviously I know a program like this might not teach me everything but I want to be set on the right path. There's only so much online tutorials can teach and I was just hoping somebody may have some insight as to whether or not this program is good or not.

http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/audio/

Audio Recording Technology is what it's called. I'm aware there aren't tons of jobs in the field.

My questions are about the program and comparable schools.

I'll be attending the session on the 16th so hopefully I'll learn more then, but they only accept 12 students and supposedly several apply.

I don't have any actual background in music other than being an amateur bass player and barely even a guitarist at all. However I'd very interested in learning how to use midi keyboards/audio softwares and this could be a program to show me the ins and outs of doing so. I have a strong computer background and I love music, I got into learning some of these software's a while back and have been making progress, but I'd like somebody to teach me it so I have a professional understanding of how to get the best of these programs. Also school challenges you, where as if I were to do it all myself I'm challenging myself but in school you have to impress others with your work not just yourself. (i.e. projects etc)

Old
09-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Gary320

Vanier specializes in that program. (Along with the veterinarian program and music) I say go for it.. if you don't like it, switch school. You wont pay too much anyway.

I was also considering going into video-editing, but 17 000 grand for Lasalle (The only English MTL school I could find that has video editing) isnt worth it.. Plus there is no internship afterwards, only placements.

considering going to Herzing in Graphic design and web design. Heard much better things about Herzing, and I know quite a few who really had great things to say about their program and job opportunitys after.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Joe Cole

It is 100% up to the teachers if the program is worth it or not.

Good teachers= you learn something
Bad teachers= you learn nothing you can use and you are out the money

That said, none of these degrees are worth more then the hard work and networking you do after you get it. The program may help guide you, but it is your portfolio and your connections that will get you work.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:13 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Vanier specializes in that program. (Along with the veterinarian program and music) I say go for it.. if you don't like it, switch school. You wont pay too much anyway.

I was also considering going into video-editing, but 17 000 grand for Lasalle (The only English MTL school I could find that has video editing) isnt worth it.. Plus there is no internship afterwards, only placements.

considering going to Herzing in Graphic design and web design. Heard much better things about Herzing, and I know quite a few who really had great things to say about their program and job opportunitys after.
Herzing is pro. If you're a good student and work hard at Herzing sky is really the limit. I've known a graduate of theirs and while his professionalism wasn't the best he was a pro in terms of the skills he learned.

Point is they'll teach you what you need to know on the technical level, if you're socially retarded though, they don't really teach you all about being professional is the point I guess I'm making.

It's like that with any job though really.

Old
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
ChoseLa

Dont go to any private school, they charge you way too much and they will not prepare you properly for the real work you'll have to do.

You want to become a video editor for what?

If you are still young just go to college and take Films, that's the best way to work and you'll make yourself a lot of connexion.

You can also learn it by yourself but you'll never be exposed to the problems a real situation with specific needs will rise, it's better to learn by working with directors (aspiring in the case of school) who will ask you what they want and will put pressure on you.

Another way is to go to production compagnies and tell them you want to work as an assistant editor, some will take you even if you have no idea how it works and you'll learn fast, cheap and with professionnals - thought you should still take a couple of classes and edit by yourself, i recomand Mainfilm.qc.ca for some great finalcut formation, there is even one for those who have never used the software, its two days and it's around 200$.-.

In the end do you want to make a living out of it or you want to learn how to edit videos?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:47 AM
ChoseLa

There is one place you must stay the **** away, it's Trebas.

Old
09-03-2010, 09:59 AM
coolasprICE

Google, youtube and movie making forums.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
There is one place you must stay the **** away, it's Trebas.
Exactly, I was originally going to go there but bailed in the end because I wound up being kicked out of my house (this is 6+ years ago).

Anyways I called them and cancelled before the deadline (300$ fee for cancelling) and anyways long story short a few months later they tried sticking me with a 3000$ bill claiming I had never called to cancel.

I had heard bad things anyways as time had gone on so not being able to go sounds to me like it was a blessing in disguise.

Anyone know why Trebas is bad? Personally I'm not looking for a job afterwards, I already have a job that pays better than audio technicians etc. I'm only planning to go for the knowledge so if Trebas actually has a good program it could be considered. However for the price difference if it isn't worth it I'd rather go to Vanier. Vanier is known for it's music department I just don't know if it stems down into this 6 month program. However on Sept 16th I'm going there to check it all out.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
That won't make you a video editor.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
That won't make you a video editor.
why not?

Throw in books too.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Yeah I could also use tutorials for fruity loops protools ableton reason etc also. Problem is that doesn't teach you squat about the hardware. It may teach you how to integrate the software/hardware etc but honestly I'm looking for the full package.

It's 8500$ which is good compared to Trebas' 16k. I'd look into other schools too though if one came highly recommended.

Also it's 12 students and 4 teachers. Trebas there were at least 20+ students from what I saw. If the end result is the same, Vanier is more convenient for me and cheaper so

For video editing it's much simpler, I mean really I've been encoding/editing since I was a wee lad. I'm not a professional but the path for me to become a video editing professional would be much simpler than audio just because I have much more experience in video editing than audio stuff. However I can see even from a completely nooby standpoint how much easier video is than audio. I do agree it would be pretty easy to learn and 16k isn't worth it especially if you're going to try and find a job after. If you're doing it like me to become an entrepreneur in the field then imo the sky is the limit.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:05 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Exactly, I was originally going to go there but bailed in the end because I wound up being kicked out of my house (this is 6+ years ago).

Anyways I called them and cancelled before the deadline (300$ fee for cancelling) and anyways long story short a few months later they tried sticking me with a 3000$ bill claiming I had never called to cancel.

I had heard bad things anyways as time had gone on so not being able to go sounds to me like it was a blessing in disguise.

Anyone know why Trebas is bad? Personally I'm not looking for a job afterwards, I already have a job that pays better than audio technicians etc. I'm only planning to go for the knowledge so if Trebas actually has a good program it could be considered. However for the price difference if it isn't worth it I'd rather go to Vanier. Vanier is known for it's music department I just don't know if it stems down into this 6 month program. However on Sept 16th I'm going there to check it all out.
I think that Trebas is not that bad when it comes to sounds, but most private schools in films and video are filled with people who are not brillant enough (or not yet mature enough) to go to college.

Trebas are in for the money and sometime they'll even try to pressure you into chosing them, la telemarketing.

For everything regarding films and video i say go for UQAM or Concordia, but consider UQAM first, you'll have the time of your life and you'll learn a lot more than puting images side by side.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
why not?

Throw in books too.
Well you'll learn about using the softwares and put in some skillz, but you will not know at all what it to work as a video editor.

That is if the guy want to make a profession out of it, if he only want to get the skills for fun then yeah i wouldn't recommand spend a buck on that.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:13 AM
goman

Quote:
why not?

Throw in books too.
Without feedback from those qualified to give feedback, you're unlikely to develop as an editor and gain a true understanding of what it takes.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 01:53 AM
ashtraygirl

you should try getting a copy of Final Cut Pro and just reading some tutorials - it'd probably save you some cash

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I know many "well-off" audio engineers, both touring engineers and studio engineers. All of them...and yes..*all* of them say the same thing -- if you want to get into this field, a college or university or private school course, no matter how long, or how informative, will get you any closer. The money you pay for these courses is basically buying your contacts, but the contacts you receive are the same ones every body receives every school year. I have talked to dozens of graduates from a school in Ontario called OIART (which is the premier "audio engineering school" in Canada, by and large), and they all unanimously replied to my lengthy emails saying this school, albeit being the most informative and best in the country at what they teach, will get you almost no where closer to what you hope to achieve. The only ones who actually ended up with jobs in their fields became coffee fetchers and the like. Basically, the became the exact thing you'd become if you tried to get into the field WITHOUT the school degree/diploma/recognition.

The absolute best way to break into this field is to practice the craft on your own time, reading as many resources as you can on this wonderful thing called the internet, and almost most importantly -- getting your name to every possible person who is in the industry, high and low, and making it perfectly clear you'll do whatever they ask for a chance to hang around them while they do what they do. You have to be 100% skilled as a People Person for this to ever take off

I do not know if the Video Editing world works the same way, but I suspect since they work hand in hand within many of the industries they are involved it, I imagine it won't be too far off what all the audio engineers told me.

To "ChoseLa" who said google and forums and books won't make you video editor...you are dead wrong. Absolutely wrong. Dishing out $15-$25,000 for additional help from professionals may make you a little more comfortable on high-end gear, but practicing the craft on your own and receiving feedback from like-minded professionals via message boards is an infinitely valuable resource in the development of the skill.

To everyone interested in, at least, audio engineering, I would think very long and very hard about what you are prepared to do to make only minimum wage in this field. Thanks to the ease of home recording, the professional studios that used to make a lot of money, are now doing joke work to pay the bills. It's a dying industry, so be prepared to never find a satisfying job lead within this line of work after spending your $20k+...It is a distinct possibility

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 12:48 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Well you'll learn about using the softwares and put in some skillz, but you will not know at all what it to work as a video editor.

That is if the guy want to make a profession out of it, if he only want to get the skills for fun then yeah i wouldn't recommand spend a buck on that.
What exactly do you mean? You can learn the skills and make contacts all on your own. It's called reading and networking. Don't fall into this you need to spend $20 K for a piece of paper trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Without feedback from those qualified to give feedback, you're unlikely to develop as an editor and gain a true understanding of what it takes.
There are probably more qualified people to offer feedback on the internet than you can find in your local video program. Perhaps if you are talking about an elite program in NYC I might buy that argument.

Old
09-04-2010, 04:38 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
What exactly do you mean? You can learn the skills and make contacts all on your own. It's called reading and networking. Don't fall into this you need to spend $20 K for a piece of paper trap.
Like i said previously there is other ways than paying for a piece of paper, but you need to know how the industry works and laso you need to learn a method.

Old
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
RogerRoeper*

A great way to learn is to volunteer at a tv station. I'm not sure if they do that in many places in Montreal, but Rogers tv is fantastic for that. There's people who get careers out of it and they don't go to a school for it.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
A great way to learn is to volunteer at a tv station.

this. Volunteer first

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote