HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2010, 01:30 PM
timbitca

vCash: 500
Were playing them September 25th in Grand Falls, other than that I wouldn't know.

Old
08-28-2010, 11:07 AM
STUTOMMIES

Rumour has it that the Tommies have a former draft pick of the New Jersey Devils on campus and ready to go. Also trying to land another D before the season starts.

Not returning to STU from last year are Maxime Chamberalnd F, Ryan Lehr D, Guillaume Miszczak G, all have graduated, plus Andrew Estey F. Unconfirmed but "good" rumours that Tyler Dietrich F and Wesley Welcher F will not be returning.

Confirmed recruits

Yuri Chermetiev F
Brad Tesink D
Mathieu Melanson F

1 other unconfirmed recruit (F) on campus.
1 other unconfirmed recruit (D).

Old
08-29-2010, 07:42 AM
cishockeyfan

Im taking a guess without looking it up, but were Tyler Dietrich started his CIS Career with UBC, than transfered to UNB, than Transfered to STU, he must have used all his eligibility by now, sat out 2 years plus played 3 years.

Old
08-29-2010, 10:12 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Im taking a guess without looking it up, but were Tyler Dietrich started his CIS Career with UBC, than transfered to UNB, than Transfered to STU, he must have used all his eligibility by now, sat out 2 years plus played 3 years.
The year(s) a player sit out does not count towards eligibility, as long as he does not participate in pro hockey. Dietrich would have been good to go for another year or two.

Consider Chris Hodgson at UNB. Played two years pro in the Coast, sat 1.5 years, played 2.0 years at UNB, has sat since before Christmas of last year, and still has .5 years of hockey eligibility left. That equals 6 but the one year he sat out after pro doesn't count. The half year he went to UNB to get his grades up to snuff but didn't play, did count, as he played the half year after Christmas. Clear as mud?

Old
09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Rumour has it that the Tommies have a former draft pick of the New Jersey Devils on campus and ready to go. Also trying to land another D before the season starts.

Not returning to STU from last year are Maxime Chamberalnd F, Ryan Lehr D, Guillaume Miszczak G, all have graduated, plus Andrew Estey F. Unconfirmed but "good" rumours that Tyler Dietrich F and Wesley Welcher F will not be returning.

Confirmed recruits

Yuri Chermetiev F
Brad Tesink D
Mathieu Melanson F

Dietrich not coming back is being characterized as he being a "cancer"in the dressing room! I believe that it is just anohter example confirming that Eagles is out of his depth and does not possess the communication skills necessary to deal with "the thoroughbreds" that are often high strung and in need of guidance and support.
Dietrich was one of 2 players who last year were a plus hockeyplayer and an abrasive,tough player to play against and 3rd in team scoring,
It is bad enough that STU is unable to attract sufficent quality players but it is even worse that we cannot retain and influence positevly those players like Dietrich.
Is University not supposed to be an environment within which an individual can grow,mature and develope???? certainly he should not be subjected to detrimental influences of inadequate coaching.
More of the same on the way.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:20 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Dietrich not coming back is being characterized as he being a "cancer"in the dressing room! I believe that it is just anohter example confirming that Eagles is out of his depth and does not possess the communication skills necessary to deal with "the thoroughbreds" that are often high strung and in need of guidance and support.
Dietrich was one of 2 players who last year were a plus hockeyplayer and an abrasive,tough player to play against and 3rd in team scoring,
It is bad enough that STU is unable to attract sufficent quality players but it is even worse that we cannot retain and influence positevly those players like Dietrich.
Is University not supposed to be an environment within which an individual can grow,mature and develope???? certainly he should not be subjected to detrimental influences of inadequate coaching.
More of the same on the way.
did mike steal your lunch money or something on the playgrounds of Sussex? If Dieter didnt want to stay, he dosent have to stay. that isint mikes fault. Dieter is a free spirit pretty much who does what and when he wants to do it. We got sufficent, quality players in Mathieu Melanson (who is an upgrade from Dieter). Mike isint an inadequate coach, just a control freak.

Old
09-04-2010, 01:46 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
did mike steal your lunch money or something on the playgrounds of Sussex? If Dieter didnt want to stay, he dosent have to stay. that isint mikes fault. Dieter is a free spirit pretty much who does what and when he wants to do it. We got sufficent, quality players in Mathieu Melanson (who is an upgrade from Dieter). Mike isint an inadequate coach, just a control freak.
SnipeShow,

What is the job of a coach? I would say to coach the players on the team to win. Maybe I'm wrong there. If the team doesn't win, who's fault is that? If you say players then they haven't been coached well enough or you don't have sufficient skill to win. In university hockey there are no GMs building teams, just the coach. How is coaching a team to 2 years of basement sitting adequate?

Old
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
SnipeShow,

What is the job of a coach? I would say to coach the players on the team to win. Maybe I'm wrong there. If the team doesn't win, who's fault is that? If you say players then they haven't been coached well enough or you don't have sufficient skill to win. In university hockey there are no GMs building teams, just the coach. How is coaching a team to 2 years of basement sitting adequate?
STUTOMMIES, i know you know that Mike is a good hockey man, just not a good people man. Again, if Dieter wants to go, he can go jump off the bus. I dont see anyone attacking Mr. MacDougall personally about not keeping Martin Houle! Maybe thats why UNB fans are much better than STU fans. STU fans want to win, i get that, because 2 years in the basement isint fun, but these things takes time and it does open a lot of ideas about the way the team is run. That only happens if Mike gives away some control of the pie.

Old
09-04-2010, 04:53 PM
STUpid

Quote:
STUTOMMIES, i know you know that Mike is a good hockey man, just not a good people man. Again, if Dieter wants to go, he can go jump off the bus. I dont see anyone attacking Mr. MacDougall personally about not keeping Martin Houle! Maybe thats why UNB fans are much better than STU fans. STU fans want to win, i get that, because 2 years in the basement isint fun, but these things takes time and it does open a lot of ideas about the way the team is run. That only happens if Mike gives away some control of the pie.
Since I can't kvetch at stutommies.com anymore...

Any UNB fan that criticized MacDougall would be laughed out of Fredericton. Success, national championships... it's pretty easy being a UNB fan nowadays, you really can't compare the two. Nobody is attacking Eagles personally, it's his record that is being attacked. Year after year of mediocrity... you're right, these things take time - obviously more than eight years. You think Mike Eagles is going to give up control? He can not recruit, he can not motivate the players he does have... HE CAN NOT WIN!

Old
09-04-2010, 06:10 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
You think Mike Eagles is going to give up control? He can not recruit, he can not motivate the players he does have... HE CAN NOT WIN!
just reading this quote made me laugh....not because its an excellent post, it just reminds me of the Mike Singletary rant on youtube. "Cannot coach with him, cannot play with him, cannot win with him.....CANT DO IT"

and Gardnier was criticzed last year after the collapse against X for not making in game adjustments and for just doing what happened with the 27-1 record and not shaking it up. Must have been a LOT of people leaving in a fit of laughter

Old
09-04-2010, 08:38 PM
STUpid

I'm sure every STU fan enjoyed watching X beat UNB last season. That said, every STU fan would love to trade UNB's "problems" for our own.

SnipeShow, I get it, Mike must be your buddy and you don't want to criticize him. What's the solution then? You've got poor recruiting/lack of talent, poor coaching, or lazy/unmotivated players or some combination of each. How does any of that NOT fall on the coach's shoulders?

And before you say "Mike needs to give up control", I ask again... do you really think he's going to give up even a bit of control? And if he won't, then what do you do?

Old
09-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Rob

Seriously, enough with the trolling.

Old
09-05-2010, 06:33 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
I'm sure every STU fan enjoyed watching X beat UNB last season. That said, every STU fan would love to trade UNB's "problems" for our own.

SnipeShow, I get it, Mike must be your buddy and you don't want to criticize him. What's the solution then? You've got poor recruiting/lack of talent, poor coaching, or lazy/unmotivated players or some combination of each. How does any of that NOT fall on the coach's shoulders?

And before you say "Mike needs to give up control", I ask again... do you really think he's going to give up even a bit of control? And if he won't, then what do you do?
One more sTu fan to add to the pile. Good to have you on board. Welcome.

I read your questions as typical ones. There seems to be more questions than answers. The frustration of the fans is showing itself with plenty of negativity towards Mike and people not showing up at the games anymore. Some long time fans of the Tommies have just given up. What about all the gate revenue the team is losing, this stuff all contributes.

How many people here actually think STU can make the playoffs with the talent Mike recruited this year?

I think STU's chances are very weak.

Quote:
Seriously, enough with the trolling.
Rob, no ones trolling. I would say there is a lot of frustration leading to these questions.

Old
09-05-2010, 07:11 AM
TomBull

Bowers comments

Did you guys read the article in the Gleaner about Justin Bowers? Read the comments (belwo) he made to Bill Hunt. they may be pointed in a certain direction???????

Quote:
Bowers checked with hockey acquaintances who had played for Stork - among them, former Bombers teammate Mike MacLean and Halifax native Corey Urquhart - and Stork's references checked out.

"You want a player's perspective of a coach," he said. "You don't want a coach's perspective of a coach. They both loved him."

Bowers' initial impression is favourable, too.

"He seems like a great guy," said Bowers. "I talked to Dean quite a bit on the phone and he kept calling me back. He's very enthusiastic about the year coming up. He's excited about being a coach. I could see the fire in his eyes. He's got that kind of mentality where hockey is everything, but in a positive way. I don't think negativity works any more. I think you've got to build your players up."
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...rticle/1201112

Last edited by TomBull: 09-05-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add gleaner link
Old
09-05-2010, 03:14 PM
STUpid

Who's trolling? This is a thread about the Tommies... there is Tommies discussion happening... if a Tommies fan were stirring the pot in the UNB thread... that's trolling.

Old
09-06-2010, 07:08 AM
cishockeyfan

The Tommies are just 2 strong forwards and a strong defenseman away from being competitive, so all they really need is 1 good recruiting off season, problem is Mike is not doing it, he never has since he took over STU, year by year they have lost more and more talent.

The AUS needs those dangerous pesky Tommies back, they need a fresh start with a new Coach and recruiter with a goal for the program going into a new arena next season, they have the tools in place to attract players, they just need a guy with a vision and personality to do it.

Too bad Pete Beliveau isn't available, he is doing at Dalhousie the past 2 years, what St Thomas needs now, and Dalhousie was alot worst for a few years than St Thomas has been to this point. But they arent even close talent wise now.

Whos avilable out there now? Tom Coolen? Dylan Taylor, those be good guys to bring in...someone get the Athletic Director on it.........oh wait....thats Mike too

Old
09-06-2010, 01:09 PM
markie8002000

nevermind this post.

Old
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
markie8002000

Quote:

Confirmed recruits

Yuri Chermetiev F
Brad Tesink D
Mathieu Melanson F

Wes Welcher has signed with Grand Falls -Windsor Cataracts in the West Coast Senior Hockey League in Newfoundland which is a league in Canada. http://www.nlhockeytalk.ca/hockey/vi...php?f=9&t=3099

Last edited by markie8002000: 09-06-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old
09-06-2010, 01:31 PM
markie8002000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
I have heard that Wes Welcher won't be back this season, playing senior in NFLD.
Another hole for Mike to replace!

True.

Old
09-08-2010, 04:40 AM
STUTOMMIES

Gleaner article

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
True.
8 exhibition games for STU.

2 against UQTR
2 against ST-FX
1 against Moncton
1 against Acadia
2 against NCAA opponents

Recruits to date confirmed and those who have left the program confirmed as well.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...rticle/1208465

Old
09-08-2010, 02:07 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
8 exhibition games for STU.

2 against UQTR
2 against ST-FX
1 against Moncton
1 against Acadia
2 against NCAA opponents

Recruits to date confirmed and those who have left the program confirmed as well.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...rticle/1208465
looks like some fantastic tests for the Tommies. Growing up with the OUA, UQTR has had some amazing teams in years past. Expect some stick swinging as well!

Old
09-16-2010, 04:35 AM
STUTOMMIES

The Tommies add forward Randy Cameron, confirmed in today's Gleaner.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...rticle/1220767

Old
09-18-2010, 06:02 AM
STUTOMMIES

Here is the link for last night's UQTR vs. STU game courtesy of the Daily Gleaner and Bruce Hallihan.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...rticle/1224126

Old
09-18-2010, 12:09 PM
cishockeyfan

Nice win for the Tom's over UQTR, good to see

Old
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
rantfather

Pleasantly surprised understates my reaction to the Tommies play this weekend,keeping in mind the non dressing of a number of key principals for the Tommies, plus the close results from the Acadia tournamentthis weekend then a closer league than might have been expected should occur.
Coach Eagles has answered the critics,me amongst them, with some very nice additions which results in an improved product........the key is to see that this caliber of recruiting is sustained and continued.

Closed Thread