HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny Briere Survives Car Accident

Old
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Unstable

vCash: 500
Scary.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:49 PM
galvo

Yeah I just came back from the Toronto area, using 81 as usual. I completely forgot about that stretch of highway that is incredible boring. I remember noticing two or three rig drivers swerving into the bump strips while driving on that monotonous stretch of road.

galvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:01 PM
CharlieGirl

Briere issues a statement:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531932

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers center Danny Briere was involved in a car accident in upstate New York in the early morning hours of June 17. He has issued the following statement:

I was in a car accident in New York," said Briere. "I was driving home to visit family and friends back in Canada when I got into an accident [Wednesday] night. My youngest son (Cameron) and I are both okay. We are doing fine.

Briere and his son were the only passengers in the car.

Briere added that he appreciates everyone's concern, and kindly requests that the media respect his privacy and refrain from contacting him at this time.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Miss Mess

My god, my heart stopped reading this thread title. Thank god they're alright!!!

Those pictures of his car .... Scary.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Sean Avery*

Saw the post on the main forum... with how bad that car is effed up, really glad him and his son are ok!

Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Glad he's ok.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 07:55 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Thank God they are okay.

I'd almost think if he would of passed, they would of almost ripped his contract up. Or, they even could of given some money to the family.
There's not a doubt in my mind that the Flyers would have set his kids up with something big had something like that happened. Based on what I can dig up in the CBA, each team has to carry a life insurance policy of $245k for each player, presumably payable to their families. I'd bet the team would even go beyond that, though.

In more pleasant thoughts, glad everyone is ok - including the truck driver.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:47 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Glad to hear everybody is ok.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

While eating dinner it really sunk in just how close the Flyers Extended Family came to a heartbreaking tragedy. All thoughts of team standing and any and all compensation aside, seeing the photos of the Range Rover makes me thank God his and his son's lives were spared. I don't want to think about what could have been had the front of that SUV ended up looking like the rear.

For some reason when i first read about it it seemed like a minor incident as they were released so quickly from the hospital after treatment... But after seeing the results and having it sink in, I now have both a feeling of relief and a sad feeling thinking of what could have been. Why it didn't really hit me as it did until dinnertime, I haven't a clue.

Danny has had a rough time this year. His personal problem and the ending of the cup drive after giving it his all... and now this. I'm wondering just what effect it all has had on his mental/physical condition as he drove late last evening. The body is effected by the mind, stress and emotion, and Danny has been through so much recently. I just pray that this becomes a good thing as it jolts everybody into adjusting their lives after so close a call.

It is yet another thing that reminds me that one never knows what is in store and can happen at a moment notice... Danny, son and truck driver are all safe and sound; thank God!!!

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:35 AM
ugiswrong

Thank God he only had one of his kids with him!!!!!!!

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:50 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Scary situation but it couldve been worse. Thank God they are ok. Wouldve been awful to have another tragedy car accident

Old
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
Thank God he only had one of his kids with him!!!!!!!
That thought crossed my mind too. Especially after seeing the back of the Land Rover.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:50 AM
KaraLupin
카라

=x

Wish a speedy recovery!

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I got a text from my step-son about this while on vacation. I had to drive to a local wifi hot-spot so I could get more info!! So relieved they're okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I-81 must be uniformly awful for its entire length. ive driven 180 miles of it in VA, and its horrendously boring, mountainous, and loaded with tractor trailers.

my job entails monitoring all traffic events in VA. after 10pm, if anything major happens, its usually on 81, and usually involves at least one tractor trailer
What do you do?

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

In today's Courier Post... Briere talking about his car accident.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...g-car-accident

Quote:
VOORHEES — When he left his house in Haddonfield for the seven-hour drive to his parents' home in suburban Ottawa on the night of June 16, Danny Briere asked his 9-year-old son Cameron if he wanted to sit in the back seat and watch a movie or sit beside him in the front seat with a pillow.

"He wanted to sit up front with daddy," the Flyers' center told the Courier-Post in his first interview since a terrifying car accident that night. "He doesn't know it, but it probably saved his life."

It has been 10 weeks since Briere's black 2010 Range Rover clipped a tractor-trailer, blew a back tire, spun uncontrollably into a guardrail and careened back into the path of the truck, causing it to jackknife along a stretch of Interstate 81 near Binghamton, N.Y.

The images from that harrowing night -- and the overwhelming support he received in the days that followed -- are still fresh in Briere's mind as he begins preparations for his fourth season with the Flyers, who officially open training camp Sept. 17.

Briere said the accident occurred around 12:30 a.m. He was three miles away from a Binghamton hotel where he planned to spend the night, when "a moment of inattention" while passing the tractor-trailer caused the two vehicles to collide.

According to Sgt. Steven Bartlow, a spokesman for the New York State Police, Briere's SUV was passing the tractor-trailer when he became drowsy and drifted into the right-hand lane. According to the accident report, the rig swerved to avoid the SUV, jackknifed and tipped on its side, closing northbound traffic for about five hours.

Briere, his son, and the driver of the truck were treated for minor injuries and released from a Binghamton hospital the same night.

"When it was happening, all I could think of was my son beside me," said Briere, 32, who also has two older sons, Caelan and Carson. "He was asleep and his body was kind of relaxed when the impact occurred. We started spinning, the windows busted and the air bags blew up."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-04-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Edited to fit into HF site rules
Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarCaptain View Post
I don't mean to come off as insensitive as I'm very happy both he and his son are alright, but if he were to have died in the accident, what would happen in terms of the status of his contract and cap implications for the team?
Is this the desperation we have come to feel as a result of Homer's bungling this Summer????

LOL, WTF do you think happens? Dead guys don't cash checks, they don't have cap hits either. It's the longest-term injured reserve you can go on, my friend.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:49 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
Is this the desperation we have come to feel as a result of Homer's bungling this Summer????

LOL, WTF do you think happens? Dead guys don't cash checks, they don't have cap hits either. It's the longest-term injured reserve you can go on, my friend.
Okay, I laughed at that last sentence.

But you're actually wrong. If a 35+ contracted player dies, his cap hit doesnt leave. Obviously he'd be LTIR'd, but the contract doesnt come off the books. The team is just allowed to exceed the cap by that amount until it does.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Sorry, no desperation at all and no bungling. He did want he wanted to do and we still have some cap room too.

I'm looking forward to a great season with the kick arse team we've got, rather than cowering under my bed crapping my pants in fear of giant penguins or the Sabres farm system.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I got a text from my step-son about this while on vacation. I had to drive to a local wifi hot-spot so I could get more info!! So relieved they're okay.

What do you do?
stuff related to VA's 511 system. I-81 is a source of some really amusing incidents, and some really depressing stuff as well.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
That sounds a lot more scary than the first time we heard it

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That sounds a lot more scary than the first time we heard it
I thought the same thing.

And only 3 miles away from his hotel.... man that sucks

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Okay, I laughed at that last sentence.

But you're actually wrong. If a 35+ contracted player dies, his cap hit doesnt leave. Obviously he'd be LTIR'd, but the contract doesnt come off the books. The team is just allowed to exceed the cap by that amount until it does.
I knew they still had to pay out the contract (which is good for the player's family, of course, especially in situations where the guy is making 650K, not 6.5M) but that is a surprising and circuitous way to handle the cap situation. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Sorry, no desperation at all and no bungling. He did want he wanted to do and we still have some cap room too.

I'm looking forward to a great season with the kick arse team we've got, rather than cowering under my bed crapping my pants in fear of giant penguins or the Sabres farm system.....
The Sabres are still beat, Pens are just OK. It's a big league though, especially when your goal is to win it ALL. I'm not nearly as harsh as some folks here but failure to address the goalie situation and shuffling the deck as we did was running in place at best. And what cap room? Our cap number is about $59M, you want to head into the season with 1M-2M available JUST to accommodate roster move flexibility. To think we have the capacity to sign someone without making a subtraction is wishful at best.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Our cap number is about $59M, you want to head into the season with 1M-2M available JUST to accommodate roster move flexibility. To think we have the capacity to sign someone without making a subtraction is wishful at best.
We don't need to sign anyone, but we could later if we want to. Our cap is not a problem now:

Start Bartulis in the AHL and:

FORWARDS
Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.000m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.000m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m)
Ian Laperriere ($1.166m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m) / Daniel Carcillo ($1.075m)
Claude Giroux ($0.821m) / Ville Leino ($0.800m) / Darroll Powe ($0.725m)
Blair Betts ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Matt Walker ($1.700m)
Sean O'Donnell ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS
Michael Leighton ($1.550m) /Brian Boucher ($0.925m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,859,763; BONUSES: $937,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,477,737

That's more cap room going into the season than we've had in years...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote