HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will happen with Maxwell?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-04-2010, 02:46 PM
  #26
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
It'd be funnier if you said Folgers.
Ba dum dum CHA

Funny comeback

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:11 PM
  #27
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
I find it funny how I tried, to make deals for Maxwell, everybody complains I have Maxwell in there all the time or don't like him.

It's not like that at all. Like the original poster said and another poster with the Halak deal, it kind of almost sealed his faith.

I want to see the guy get playing time, but I am like 95% sure it will not be with the Habs. I don't want Maxwell to let his potential go to waste. If he stays with the Habs its more than likely going to happen. I think if he could get on a rebuilder, like New York Islanders, Anaheim, Carolina, Edmonton, Tampa, Florida. He would get his playing time and by playing time maybe between 25 - 50 games, rather than a lousy 10 on the fourth line. This guy has the vision and potential, he needs the playing time and experience to build off.

I find Maxwell is a good player just he needs to go else where if he is going to try to make the NHL fulltime. Anyone who disagree's with this, just are not looking at the situation in Montreal.

Pacioretty
White
Darche

Will all likely be be putting in more time I find than Maxwell on the Habs.

Desharnais is creeping in there as well, I think Maxwell and Desharnais are at the same position compared to those other 3.

Problem with Maxwell and Desharnais is their size, we kind of lack size in the top 6, which leads you to the second problem, as they are top 6 players in the AHL, more offensive than anything, and you bring them up in put them in a grinding role or 3rd or 4th line. Thats why I think White and Pacioretty will be called upon as they have size and can play top minutes if need be but will fill in easily for bottom 6 grinding.

We know Maxwell, Trotter, Desharnais have the skill. That one game where they all got called up because of injuries. The game against Pittsburgh, they were the 4th line, but it was like we have a second #2 line they all knew each other and were an offensive threat all game. Now put them on a line with pure grinders and I bet they don't succeed. They need top 6 minutes, which Montreal can't dish out right now because their lineup is locked down from line 1 right down to the backup goalie.

With Maxwell being ready, I think he might have to be shipped out.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:20 PM
  #28
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
I find it funny how I tried, to make deals for Maxwell, everybody complains I have Maxwell in there all the time or don't like him.

It's not like that at all. Like the original poster said and another poster with the Halak deal, it kind of almost sealed his faith.

I want to see the guy get playing time, but I am like 95% sure it will not be with the Habs. I don't want Maxwell to let his potential go to waste. If he stays with the Habs its more than likely going to happen. I think if he could get on a rebuilder, like New York Islanders, Anaheim, Carolina, Edmonton, Tampa, Florida. He would get his playing time and by playing time maybe between 25 - 50 games, rather than a lousy 10 on the fourth line. This guy has the vision and potential, he needs the playing time and experience to build off.

I find Maxwell is a good player just he needs to go else where if he is going to try to make the NHL fulltime. Anyone who disagree's with this, just are not looking at the situation in Montreal.

Pacioretty
White
Darche

Will all likely be be putting in more time I find than Maxwell on the Habs.

Desharnais is creeping in there as well, I think Maxwell and Desharnais are at the same position compared to those other 3.

Problem with Maxwell and Desharnais is their size, we kind of lack size in the top 6, which leads you to the second problem, as they are top 6 players in the AHL, more offensive than anything, and you bring them up in put them in a grinding role or 3rd or 4th line. Thats why I think White and Pacioretty will be called upon as they have size and can play top minutes if need be but will fill in easily for bottom 6 grinding.

We know Maxwell, Trotter, Desharnais have the skill. That one game where they all got called up because of injuries. The game against Pittsburgh, they were the 4th line, but it was like we have a second #2 line they all knew each other and were an offensive threat all game. Now put them on a line with pure grinders and I bet they don't succeed. They need top 6 minutes, which Montreal can't dish out right now because their lineup is locked down from line 1 right down to the backup goalie.

With Maxwell being ready, I think he might have to be shipped out.
The problem with your trades of the "Maxwell" sort is that no one outside of the Habs fan base knows any of these rookies that are down our depth scale hence they are viewed as having no potential or being busts, also I'd imagine a guy like Maxwell isn't immensly sought after by other GM's. He can be a reclamation project but he's not even on D'Agostini's level yet, he's had 0 success in the league so far. He'll probably either make the Habs at some point or bust.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:31 PM
  #29
Harry Wong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Its funny how when he was first drafted everyone thought Maxwell couldn't miss and no one had any love for Ryan White. And now things are the opposite and unless he has a great camp we won't probably have a place for him. We should all remember how easily some of these young 'can't miss' guys can be eclipsed by others with different skills.

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:31 PM
  #30
ruski17
Registered User
 
ruski17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
I find it funny how I tried, to make deals for Maxwell, everybody complains I have Maxwell in there all the time or don't like him.

It's not like that at all. Like the original poster said and another poster with the Halak deal, it kind of almost sealed his faith.

I want to see the guy get playing time, but I am like 95% sure it will not be with the Habs. I don't want Maxwell to let his potential go to waste. If he stays with the Habs its more than likely going to happen. I think if he could get on a rebuilder, like New York Islanders, Anaheim, Carolina, Edmonton, Tampa, Florida. He would get his playing time and by playing time maybe between 25 - 50 games, rather than a lousy 10 on the fourth line. This guy has the vision and potential, he needs the playing time and experience to build off.

I find Maxwell is a good player just he needs to go else where if he is going to try to make the NHL fulltime. Anyone who disagree's with this, just are not looking at the situation in Montreal.

Pacioretty
White
Darche

Will all likely be be putting in more time I find than Maxwell on the Habs.

Desharnais is creeping in there as well, I think Maxwell and Desharnais are at the same position compared to those other 3.

Problem with Maxwell and Desharnais is their size, we kind of lack size in the top 6, which leads you to the second problem, as they are top 6 players in the AHL, more offensive than anything, and you bring them up in put them in a grinding role or 3rd or 4th line. Thats why I think White and Pacioretty will be called upon as they have size and can play top minutes if need be but will fill in easily for bottom 6 grinding.

We know Maxwell, Trotter, Desharnais have the skill. That one game where they all got called up because of injuries. The game against Pittsburgh, they were the 4th line, but it was like we have a second #2 line they all knew each other and were an offensive threat all game. Now put them on a line with pure grinders and I bet they don't succeed. They need top 6 minutes, which Montreal can't dish out right now because their lineup is locked down from line 1 right down to the backup goalie.

With Maxwell being ready, I think he might have to be shipped out.
Maxwell has good size, he could add some muscle, but he's 6 feet which is fine.

I really hope he makes the teams as I really liked him as a pick. Honestly though, if he dosen't have a ood camp, it mgiht be over, or he needs to hope we get another injury-riddled season for him to play. People who say he sucked with the habs don't take into consideration that he never really played with any top 6 forwards. He could fit in the top 6 if we have a lineup that looks similar to this:
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Maxwell
Kostisyn-Eller-Boyd
Pyatt-Lapierre-Moen
Darche
Then, we would have him play with good, skilled players and Eller wouldn't play with grinders. By the way, don't bother saying I got the wingers mixed up a bit, because this is just an example. Pacioretty could use a bit more time in the AHL and White could be on as a 14th forward or be with Hamilton and get called up. Desharnais is just too small and not strong enough for the NHL IMO. St. Louis is much stronger than him and is much more versatile than Desharnais. As good as he is though, he's too weak and will lose most of his battles no matter how hard he tries... I see Desharnais as an elite AHLer or playnig in a top 6 role for a rebuilding team until they are done their rebuilding.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 05:54 PM
  #31
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
I don't think this is even necessarily a complete make-or-break year for Maxwell. I mean, he's done more already in 2 years than Duncan Milroy did in his first 3, and Milroy got a 4th year to try out. So technically, Maxwell could still hang in there after this year, even if he doesn't progress. But then, even the optimists among us (if there are any) will start to lose hope for Maxwell if he doesn't at least have a banner year in the AHL this year. He may still hang around in the organization, despite that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 06:28 PM
  #32
SpezNc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Almost everybody made their line-up for this year and it seems like Ben Maxwell is not in our plan.

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Moen - Eller - Lapierre
Pyatt - Boyd - White
+ Darche + Pacioretty + Maxwell

And we have a lot more depth in D with Carle, Weber, Picard... Perhaps we will keep 8 D, 13 forwards ans 2 G in our 23 players list.

Do you think Maxwell have a future in Montreal ?
There is always somes injuries somewhere in the season.

It's up to Maxwell to seize the opportunity when he got the call this time.

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 06:57 PM
  #33
scottyG
Registered User
 
scottyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal,Qc
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
Can we really blame Maxwell? Every time he had a shot in the NHL he was giving 3rd-4th line minutes playing with scraps. He's the type of player that has to be in the top 6 or he's usless

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:00 PM
  #34
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,699
vCash: 500
He has to be turned in a winger.

Do we have to keep in the NHL à la Carle? Because if he can go to the AHl as a winger and have a good stint i could see him have a shot on the third line.

There is clearly no room for a centermen right now or in the next 3-4 seasons (I'm so happy the Habs don't have that problem anymore.)

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:25 PM
  #35
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,561
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Can we really blame Maxwell? Every time he had a shot in the NHL he was giving 3rd-4th line minutes playing with scraps. He's the type of player that has to be in the top 6 or he's usless
I hope they give him a shot on top 2 lines, or some PP time. Anything for him to show some offensive ability.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 07:37 PM
  #36
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Can we really blame Maxwell? Every time he had a shot in the NHL he was giving 3rd-4th line minutes playing with scraps. He's the type of player that has to be in the top 6 or he's usless
Thats what I am saying, he needs the top 6 minutes in order to prove something, bottom 6 with grinding players is not where he plays.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
  #37
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
Its funny how when he was first drafted everyone thought Maxwell couldn't miss and no one had any love for Ryan White. And now things are the opposite and unless he has a great camp we won't probably have a place for him. We should all remember how easily some of these young 'can't miss' guys can be eclipsed by others with different skills.
Well he's also only 22 and has played less NHL games than his age. If there wasn't such a logjam at forward this year (3 spots for 7 players) then most likely we wouldn't be saying he doesn't have a place on the team. We would be disappointed with last years showing still, no doubt, but it wouldn't be his "last chance" this training camp. There are just too many bottom 6 players in the organization right now to be patient with a young forward who needs time to come into his own....but the jury is in no way out on him yet

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 10:16 PM
  #38
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,893
vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
Its funny how when he was first drafted everyone thought Maxwell couldn't miss and no one had any love for Ryan White. And now things are the opposite and unless he has a great camp we won't probably have a place for him. We should all remember how easily some of these young 'can't miss' guys can be eclipsed by others with different skills.
Well I might have been wrong on White. But what we based our opinions at the beginning, as to be on something tangible. You saw camps and you have to acknowledge Maxwell pure talent, great vision and White raw abilities that made him borderline and every time, one of the worst player on the ice.

Then, people develop.....and so are our opinions. I will say that to me, Maxwell had some glimpses of a poor man Brad Richards. And you see him in practice again....and you'll still see him. Until he gets in a game and refuse any kind of physical attention. Then, you wonder what he's doing playing hockey. While White will bang, hit and do everything else he can 'cause his natural abilities are still and will never be as good as Maxwell.....but it's true that sometimes, pure talent doesn't mean a whole lot. But it often does.

Though while we think White has a spot in our lineup, let's wait shall we? Not sure we can already mention who was right or wrong in their evaluation. White can be cut....Maxwell too though if he's traded to a poor team, nobody knows if he can make it elsewhere....Nothing is still decided in either case. But I agree that right now, White's dedication to play the NHL game is much more present than Maxwell's....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 10:51 PM
  #39
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,492
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Can we really blame Maxwell? Every time he had a shot in the NHL he was giving 3rd-4th line minutes playing with scraps. He's the type of player that has to be in the top 6 or he's usless
I would agree if he showed any sort of NHL level qualities. He hasn't warranted more icetime. He has never outworked anyone with his limited time, he hasn't shown any flashes of offensive or defensive prowess (even Darche, Pyatt and White - all getting 4th line mins - showed something), and he can't even stay on his feet he's so damn weak. If you are a young player that wants more icetime, show it through hardwork. He isn't noticeable on the ice other than being the clown falling all over the place. I mean really, 20 games and not even one point? And you are supposed to be a top six forward? I don't care who he played with, even a point by accident would mean there is a sliver of hope. He is a career AHLer IMO.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:40 PM
  #40
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,510
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure he is a straight up bust. At least MaxPac shows the odd flash of being good. Maxwell just looks lost out there every time.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:19 AM
  #41
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,981
vCash: 500
Now that you mention it, i would not be surprised if Maxwell (as a winger) started on the 3rd line instead of someone like Pacciorety.It might allow Moen to drop down to 4th line and play with Boyd Pyatt.

then darche of course... 13th

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:25 AM
  #42
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,561
vCash: 152
Just for kicks, maxwell has averaged a TOI/G of 9:11. I'm not sure if it's cause for emergency(i had to) or not, but i'd like to see him get a little more ice time in a top 9 role at least. His total PP ice time in 20 games over 2 years? 38 seconds total(not average). His SH time in those 20 games? 36 seconds(again, total and not average per game).

Maxwell clearly has talent, speed and smarts. I say give the guy a little PP time and let him get used to having the puck and gain some confidence. Despite what people say, if you're playing a role where you never touch the puck, you still learn, but not as much offensively. How do you learn in game puck control skills or gain experience if you only play 5 on 5 on a dump and chase 3rd line? Give the kid a chance to hang onto it and use his vision on a PP. A vote of confidence goes a long way. If it still isn't enough to get him going...understandable yet, many say in practice you see his skills, so in a PP situation, with more time and space, wouldn't he able to showcase some of his talent? Just a thought.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:32 AM
  #43
ruski17
Registered User
 
ruski17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Just for kicks, maxwell has averaged a TOI/G of 9:11. I'm not sure if it's cause for emergency(i had to) or not, but i'd like to see him get a little more ice time in a top 9 role at least. His total PP ice time in 20 games over 2 years? 38 seconds total(not average). His SH time in those 20 games? 36 seconds(again, total and not average per game).

Maxwell clearly has talent, speed and smarts. I say give the guy a little PP time and let him get used to having the puck and gain some confidence. Despite what people say, if you're playing a role where you never touch the puck, you still learn, but not as much offensively. How do you learn in game puck control skills or gain experience if you only play 5 on 5 on a dump and chase 3rd line? Give the kid a chance to hang onto it and use his vision on a PP. A vote of confidence goes a long way. If it still isn't enough to get him going...understandable yet, many say in practice you see his skills, so in a PP situation, with more time and space, wouldn't he able to showcase some of his talent? Just a thought.
Couldn't agree more. Maxwell dosen't look like a Corey Locke type of player because he has the hockey IQ to compete at the pros, he just needs to play with some scorers in order to utilize him the best. It's like if we played Plekanec with Darche and Lapierre, he wouldn't have had a career year...

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:48 AM
  #44
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Almost everybody made their line-up for this year and it seems like Ben Maxwell is not in our plan.

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Moen - Eller - Lapierre
Pyatt - Boyd - White
+ Darche + Pacioretty + Maxwell

And we have a lot more depth in D with Carle, Weber, Picard... Perhaps we will keep 8 D, 13 forwards ans 2 G in our 23 players list.

Do you think Maxwell have a future in Montreal ?

What will happen with Maxwell ?

Maxwell will of course turn out to be the "homerun" stud that Trevor Timmins predicted he would become..........and has Timmins ever be wrong about a Habs draft choice for which he was responsible (LOL)(?) - OK, maybe David Fisher was the 1 and only exception!



Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
  #45
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
he will get traded after x mas for another young underachiever

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:00 PM
  #46
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
he will get traded after x mas for another young underachiever
Kind of like:

D'agostini

for

Palushaj

Version 2.

Palushaj wasn't a bust though. I think if Gauthier could pull off another trade like this and make our depth better, I think it would be a good move.


Montreal

Maxwell
3rd/4th round pick

for

Tampa

Ashton

?

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:20 PM
  #47
Habsbobabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
its a whole new season, Maxwell could start to learn the lesson's that will make him a better player and be able to show what he has at the NHL level or hes not going to learn and grow and bust its on him so lets wait and see what he has learned in the off season to help him this year.

Habsbobabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:37 PM
  #48
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
I don't think he has much of a future no. There's just no room for him and his play style just doesn't seem to match the new NHL. I don't see too many teams interested in a soft centre on their 3rd or 4th line, so I think he might bolt out to Europe/KHL for the 2011-2012 season when he turns a RFA. A similar case to Brock Trotter I'd say.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:40 PM
  #49
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,699
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure Boyd got a spot ahead of him on the third line.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:41 PM
  #50
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Maxwell is a nice, quick AHL player, but at this point, he's got neither the size, the skillset or the drive to make it at the next level.

I also question his vision on the ice. Most of the plays he attempts are pre-recorded patterns/kind of plays, and most of the time, you can't pull that off in the NHL.

His offensive senses of the game are left to be desired.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.