HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FCC Sides against Cable Companies Restricting Local HD Feed

Old
09-03-2010, 07:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresch04 View Post
The other thing it's lacking is the NFL package which is important to many football fans.
That and I have a 3 second delay when switching from Non-HD channels to HD channels and vice versa... It's just a black screen during the delay... Somewhat annoying but tolerable....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
There is only one reason Fios destroys Cablevision in picture quality. Verizon doesn't have the bandwith issues Cablevision has so they don't compress signals and piggy-back them on top of one another. They broadcast every channel as it's supplied to them, bit for bit. Cablevision, while they'd tell us their system is as up to date, crams 2-3 channels together and that's what causes the degradation. And I've had both and recently, last season, went back to Cablevision for HD Rangers games.
I believe the technical term for multiple stations being hosted on the same feed is QAM's (Quadrature amplitude modulation).... If you have several stations sharing the same one, you can get blackouts of select channels...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM

Old
09-03-2010, 07:18 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That and I have a 3 second delay when switching from Non-HD channels to HD channels and vice versa... It's just a black screen during the delay... Somewhat annoying but tolerable....
Every cable provider has that delay. It's normal.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:19 PM
RKO36

Quote:

There's a slight delay for me, but it's not three seconds.

RKO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Every cable provider has that delay. It's normal.
Having recently switched from CV, I can say that it was not nearly as long as it is right now for me with Verizon... Had about a 1 second delay on iO, now it's nearly 2-3 seconds.... Again, I'm not upset about it but just a minor annoyance... Also, it may be longer for me as I'm running both my cableboxes through Receivers... So the signal has to pass through another device...

Old
09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

It really pisses me off that Fios doesnt have the MSGHD feed yet.
The sales rep prommised me last november when I signed up for Fios that once the FCC ruled in their favor they would get it. I'm calling Bullsh!t on that one.

After switching from Time Warner, I must admit getting The NHL Network is the only thing keeping me at bay on the MSGHD crappola.

Although I have noticed that when watching a Blackhawks, Redwings or NYRvsNJD game the all red jerseys get all pixilated on the Fios HD feed on Versus. I know it wasnt like that on Time Warner.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:59 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Having recently switched from CV, I can say that it was not nearly as long as it is right now for me with Verizon... Had about a 1 second delay on iO, now it's nearly 2-3 seconds.... Again, I'm not upset about it but just a minor annoyance... Also, it may be longer for me as I'm running both my cableboxes through Receivers... So the signal has to pass through another device...
I have fios and the delay is a second at most for me.

Old
09-03-2010, 08:04 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
I believe the technical term for multiple stations being hosted on the same feed is QAM's (Quadrature amplitude modulation).... If you have several stations sharing the same one, you can get blackouts of select channels...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM
I think QAM is the format used for sending and receiving digital data. When it's an analog signal it's ASTC. Most, if not all, recently made digital TV's come with QAM tuners for over the air HD broadcasts.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:14 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I have fios and the delay is a second at most for me.
Are you passing the HDMI signal through an A/V receiver before it reaches your set?

Old
09-03-2010, 09:05 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Are you passing the HDMI signal through an A/V receiver before it reaches your set?
No. That's probably why you have a 3 second delay.

Old
09-05-2010, 04:17 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
what's most annoying is that Cablevision wouldn't let Charter Communications carry their HD feed either. They aren't their competition in any areas if I'm not mistaken, and the Rangers are on upstate most of the games up here, other than if Buffalo is playing.

I'd imagine it's probably the same as Time Warner.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 05:18 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
what's most annoying is that Cablevision wouldn't let Charter Communications carry their HD feed either. They aren't their competition in any areas if I'm not mistaken, and the Rangers are on upstate most of the games up here, other than if Buffalo is playing.

I'd imagine it's probably the same as Time Warner.
I understand where your coming from, and I really have no love for cablevision or verizon, i find them both to be like all companies, greedy and self serving.

The reason I side with cablevision in this matter though, is because they own original content (MSG) and I dont think they should be forces to pass it along to anyone at a price they are not happy with.
Just like we all read about in the news earlier this year, when ABC wanted more money from cablevison to carry ABC's original content. ABC had original content, that cablevision wanted to air, and they worked out a price. Somehow I believe if Verizon offered up the right price they would have MSG HD.

I know its not the same thing, but imagine if Burger King filed a suit and said "McDonalds has to let us sell the Big Mac or we can't compete as strongly with them in the NY area."

It just makes no sense, if verizon doesnt like it they can buy the islanders and hold their broadcast rights.

Cablevision made the investment in purchasing MSG as an additional revenue stream, they bought an asset to boost their income, why should they have to pass it along to the competition. If verizon wants it so bad they should offer cablevison enough money to make it worth it to cablevision to pass it along.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 05:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I understand where your coming from, and I really have no love for cablevision or verizon, i find them both to be like all companies, greedy and self serving.

The reason I side with cablevision in this matter though, is because they own original content (MSG) and I dont think they should be forces to pass it along to anyone at a price they are not happy with.
Just like we all read about in the news earlier this year, when ABC wanted more money from cablevison to carry ABC's original content. ABC had original content, that cablevision wanted to air, and they worked out a price. Somehow I believe if Verizon offered up the right price they would have MSG HD.

I know its not the same thing, but imagine if Burger King filed a suit and said "McDonalds has to let us sell the Big Mac or we can't compete as strongly with them in the NY area."

It just makes no sense, if verizon doesnt like it they can buy the islanders and hold their broadcast rights.

Cablevision made the investment in purchasing MSG as an additional revenue stream, they bought an asset to boost their income, why should they have to pass it along to the competition. If verizon wants it so bad they should offer cablevison enough money to make it worth it to cablevision to pass it along.
Fortunately Cablevision will lose because they are engaging in unfair business practices. Do you really think the reasonable solution is to tell each cable company to buy an NHL team if they don't like the monopoly that one company has? That's crazy.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
The premise is not the same because cable companies are awarded areas where other cable companies are not to compete with them. Imagine how low prices would go if each household was given a choice between Cablevision, Time Warner, Comcast, and ten other cable companies without having to put dishes or any other equipment in.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:38 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Sounds like it's your receiver or box. My delay is less than half a second.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:53 PM
blu4life18

So supposedly in February fios users can expect MSG in HD? That's ok with me, I've been waiting so long anyway. But one thing FIOS used to have a huge advantage over Cablevision was internet speed. Now Cablevision's is almost twice as fast. (if you pay for the max speed). Wonder why that changed. Still, besides MSG and one other HD channel MSG has over FIOS, wouldn't switch.

blu4life18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 07:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4life18 View Post
So supposedly in February fios users can expect MSG in HD?
Where did you read/hear that?

Old
09-05-2010, 07:20 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Where did you read/hear that?
Been rumored for a while. Last I heard when I called up and asked was after the new year. So hopefully around then.

Old
09-05-2010, 07:27 PM
gotmonte

I have had all three.. Time warner when I was in queens, Fios when I was in Nassau, and now I have Cable here in Suffolk.

The triple play cable I have has been as good as any of the three. P.S. The Time Warner blows DONKEY BALLS!

Fios was cool, and cable is just as good. I dont know whats up with the people hating on the cable service. I hate dolan and Hate to pay the man, but when it comes to my rangers, I just give in. I dont want to jeopordize ANYTHING when it comes to be being home at night watching a game. Imagine coming home. Had a bad day from work. Your fridge has 6 cold beers with your name on it, your wife took the baby to her mothers house and you are left to watch a nice Rangers verus Islanders game. Then, BAM! Your tv company screws it up for you and you cant see the game.

Not with cable. I KNOW it wont happen. Thats worth the price they charge me.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:02 PM
broadwayblue

Time Warner sure has a lot of faults...but I've never seen a more clunky OS on a cable box than Cablevision. Whenever I visit my parents I go nuts every time I have to press "Guide" twice to get it to appear. Like I really need to see the weather every single time.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I have had all three.. Time warner when I was in queens, Fios when I was in Nassau, and now I have Cable here in Suffolk.

The triple play cable I have has been as good as any of the three. P.S. The Time Warner blows DONKEY BALLS!

Fios was cool, and cable is just as good. I dont know whats up with the people hating on the cable service. I hate dolan and Hate to pay the man, but when it comes to my rangers, I just give in. I dont want to jeopordize ANYTHING when it comes to be being home at night watching a game. Imagine coming home. Had a bad day from work. Your fridge has 6 cold beers with your name on it, your wife took the baby to her mothers house and you are left to watch a nice Rangers verus Islanders game. Then, BAM! Your tv company screws it up for you and you cant see the game.

Not with cable. I KNOW it wont happen. Thats worth the price they charge me.
No one is hating on cable. It's just not as good as FiOS in terms of picture and audio quality.

Old
09-05-2010, 11:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Been rumored for a while. Last I heard when I called up and asked was after the new year. So hopefully around then.
Was there after any published article or release indicating FiOS would get it? Or just people calling them and being told that? Usually the people on the other end of the phone are pretty misinformed.... What I'm saying is that I would be pretty skeptical....