HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils powerplay

Old
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i dont think thats such a good idea anymore. lemaire really messed with a bunch of stuff last year but this yaer i think he needs to be part of the team more than last
When yo have someone like that, you use him in the way that helps the team the best. You see the same thing with Ovechkin.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:37 PM
NJD Kula
yay hockey

Can we have a permanent thread for Leafs fans who create threads in NJD forum asking about Kaberle/Zajac/etc?

NJD Kula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Billdo

vCash: 50
Parise-Zajac-Zubrus
Kovalchuk-Greene

Elias-Arnott-Langenbrunner
Kovalchuk-Rolston

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KupsforKovy View Post
why is everyone against kovy playing the whole PP ?There are 10000 reasons why he should.

We have Zero RH Dmen right now. With kovy being not only a big shot, he is also RH. In my opinion, Langs can take this spot on a unit, but he is so good at other things that are needed down low like board play, cycling, getting garbage goals, ect.

Kovy doesn't burn much energy once the puck is in the zone, minus his patent end to end rushes. Most teams would throw there Scoring line out after a PP cause the less defensive guys are rested, meaning Kovy would not be out there for a decent amount of time while our Checkers are out there.

The guy just signed a $100 million contract, he is going to have to earn that money, and the PP is the perfect place to do so.

I feel he will for sure stop with the dangles on the point. He learned last year about being responsible and being a team player. He won't be that big of a liability on the point IMO when it comes to D.

I would love to see this....
Parise - Zajac - Clarkson
Kovy - Greene

Elias - Arnott - Langenbrunner
Kovy- Rolston
I don't want to burn him out playing 22+ mins per game like last season. I also don't want 5 forwards on the PP.

I would split up Parise and Clarkson on the PP since they are both garbage men, although Parise is obviously on a completely different planet than Clarkson.

Here is what I would like to see.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner
Kovy-Greene

Elias-Arnott-Clarkson
Rolston-Tallinder

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

He has never averaged less than 21:30 in his career (minus his first two season which are understandable to leave out). He can handle 22 minutes a night.

Old
09-05-2010, 01:50 PM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
He has never averaged less than 21:30 in his career (minus his first two season which are understandable to leave out). He can handle 22 minutes a night.
On Atlanta it either the Kovy show, or the Kovy and Heatley/Hossa show. The Devils are a much deeper team. We don't need to play him 22 mins a night. I'm hoping for huge performances from Kovy in May and June and not November.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by severian View Post
Here is what I would like to see.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner
Kovy-Greene

Elias-Arnott-Clarkson
Rolston-Tallinder
I would be happy with those PP units. Of course, if Rolston is one who gets traded due to Lou selling his soul to the Devil (again), then they will be very different.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
On Atlanta it either the Kovy show, or the Kovy and Heatley/Hossa show. The Devils are a much deeper team. We don't need to play him 22 mins a night. I'm hoping for huge performances from Kovy in May and June and not November.
exactly hes part of a team now. he will get regular shifts plus pp time but they should sit someone else for him to get an extra shift early in teh game

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Why not all season? He can handle it. Even 21 minutes a night is fine. It doesn't matter that it isn't the "Kovy show". If it is for the better of the team, do it. It is in our best interest to play Kovy and Parise more than anyone else.

Old
09-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Iceman78

Kovalchuk can handle the full 2 minutes for power plays. Our other star players, such as Elias, Parise, and Zajac, play on the penalty kill. Kovalchuk will certainly never be on the PK, and the offset by not playing on the PK is enough to allow him to play the entire power play. You can bet your last dollar Kovalchuk will have at least equal minutes relative to Parise.

Iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:00 PM
The Grinder
No Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman78 View Post
Kovalchuk can handle the full 2 minutes for power plays. Our other star players, such as Elias, Parise, and Zajac, play on the penalty kill. Kovalchuk will certainly never be on the PK, and the offset by not playing on the PK is enough to allow him to play the entire power play. You can bet your last dollar Kovalchuk will have at least equal minutes relative to Parise.
I would love to see him get some PK time sometime in his 15 years here. It's entirely possible.

The Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Ds88

Don't forget about putting White in front of the net.

Ds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grinder View Post
I would love to see him get some PK time sometime in his 15 years here. It's entirely possible.
It would be amazing if we could turn Kovalchuk into a great two-way forward during his time here. I would be very surprised if we could, considering his free-wheeling ways in Atlanta, but if there's any team that can, it's the Devils.

Old
09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
ola1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman78 View Post
This scenario assumes Zubrus is the forward traded.

Powerplay unit 1 (running umbrella formation)
Elias-Zajac-Parise
Kovalchuk-Greene

Greene will be at the top of the umbrella setup, with Kovalchuk creeping in lower on the left side, and Elias his opposite on the right side. Zajac and Parise hang out by the opposing goaltender.

Powerplay unit 2 (running overload formation)
Langenbrunner-Arnott-Clarkson
Kovalchuk-Rolston

Kovalchuk and Rolston play more conservatively on this unit since no defensemen are out as in powerplay unit 1 where Greene is the man at the crest of the umbrella. Arnott and Clarkson get dirty down low and try to score garbage goals.
Unit 2 -- who keeps the puck in the zone? Rolston and Kovy have been liabilities trying to do that.

ola1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:29 PM
ola1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It would be amazing if we could turn Kovalchuk into a great two-way forward during his time here. I would be very surprised if we could, considering his free-wheeling ways in Atlanta, but if there's any team that can, it's the Devils.
Question: Has Kovy ever been coached? I mean really coached and held accountable. I think he knows the rap against him -- all offense, no defense. He even joked about being minus-95 for his career and said he was glad to leave Atlanta a plus-1. So IMO, I think he would be willing to adjust. I think JohnnyMac and Larry might be the ones who are able to "coach" him.
And yeah, I think he would be absolutely lethal with being able to play more of a two-way game in. Think of the chances he could manufacture as well as the breakaways.

ola1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

In the short time he was with the Devils last season, he was a +9. I'd expect that trend to continue. And if he really commits his considerable talent to playing positional defence and backchecking hard, he can be a passable two way player.

Old
09-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
In the short time he was with the Devils last season, he was a +9. I'd expect that trend to continue. And if he really commits his considerable talent to playing positional defence and backchecking hard, he can be a passable two way player.
I agree completely. His incredible speed makes him lethal when it comes to backchecking. I remember in one game for us he came back from far in the offensive zone to break up a play. I don't remember what game but it shows that he can certainly do it.