HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Homer plan on trading away Timonen next year?

Old
07-23-2010, 11:59 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
What if Homer traded for Meszaros because he plans on trading Timonen after this season, and hopes Meszaros will be a suitable replacement? Next year Carter, Giroux, Zherdev, Leino, etc will all be due raises and Timonen has the highest cap hit on the team. Think about it, Homer may even trade Timonen and Shelley for Redden and 4th round pick.
This trade would be unfair unless Homer threw in our 2nd rounder...in 2020

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:11 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
The answer to that is yes. With a plethora of young defenseman Kimmo will be the odd man out, and we'll get next to nothing for him because every team knows hes a salary dump.
I could see Timonen being traded next offseason.

However, don't get too upset over the idea of us moving him considering we only traded a 1st for his and Hartnell's rights to acquire him anyway.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Timonen is safe until the summer of 2012(when Timonen will have 1 year on his deal) then Holmgren will deal Timonen for a bottom pairing guy with 5 years left on his deal and a 5th round pick.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-23-2010 at 12:35 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Sorry, I only got as far as "Does Homer plan"
It sure doesn't seem that way. What can you do?

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:44 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post

Sorry, I only got as far as "Does Homer plan"
It sure doesn't seem that way. What can you do?
Homer plans, he just sucks at planning lol. But yeah, I am going to say Kimmo gets moved next offseason. He clearly loves his young guys and goons. Also, by moving Kimmo, Homer can then give Boucher a raise.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Read an article last week (by EuroFlyer) Timonen plans to run out his contract with the Flyers and then retire.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Slowbro

timonen is my favorite player, perhaps in all of the NHL. if he gets traded i will be soo angry. timonen is such a heart and soul guy and although he doesn't take quite the beating Jason Smith did, he is the toughest flyer since him in my opinion. timonen embodies flyers hockey in the most bad ass-yet quiet-leave it all on the ice way it can be.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:04 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Read an article last week (by EuroFlyer) Timonen plans to run out his contract with the Flyers and then retire.
Can you find the link to it? I was about to post a thread much like this and found this one.

I could see it happening, the trading of Timmo. But the way this off season has gone. I am completely lost as to what Homer will do.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:30 PM
rWoHockeyman88

Timmo is the kind of guy you want to retire as a Flyer. Same with Lappy, and of course Gagne..........

rWoHockeyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
DenverBoone

Colorado is not going to take on Kimmo at that age at that hit. It doesn't fit their style

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Mgkibbles

Yep, Timonen will likely be gone after this year. He'll be another salary dump and Meszaros/Carle will be his young replacements. Its a shame because I like Kimmo, but it'll probably have to be done in the best interest of long term success.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Briere has the highest cap hit on the team, but I really have no ****ing clue what Homer's tentative plan for next offseason is. We're not going to have a ton of room to work with and I'd say it's safe to assume Giroux + Carter will be at least a 10 million dollar cap hit. I'm not gonna get too worried about it right now though, maybe we'll get lucky and Homer will be fired by then.
Really?

How much do you think Giroux will get? $3,000,000? Guys like Setoguchi & Neal didn't more then $2.5MM I think.

Carter $6,000,000 + Giroux $3,000,000?

I can't see Giroux getting more then $3MM unless he really busts out this season. I really like the guy but has crack 20 goals yet?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 10:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Can you find the link to it? I was about to post a thread much like this and found this one.

I could see it happening, the trading of Timmo. But the way this off season has gone. I am completely lost as to what Homer will do.
If you asked me then I would have. Ask Euroflyer on his twitter, he will have a link.

Quote:
Yep, Timonen will likely be gone after this year. He'll be another salary dump and Meszaros/Carle will be his young replacements. Its a shame because I like Kimmo, but it'll probably have to be done in the best interest of long term success.
Homer would be dumb enough to do that. Then we go to having 1 #1 d-man who does everything further burdening Pronger to a point where he collapses. Meszaros and Carle arent even close to Timonen's level. For them to replace Kimo is a disaster waiting to happen. Meszaros given #1 minutes, he imploded. Carle is carried by Pronger. There is no way they take over Timonen's responsibility

Old
09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
If you asked me then I would have. Ask Euroflyer on his twitter, he will have a link.

Homer would be dumb enough to do that. Then we go to having 1 #1 d-man who does everything further burdening Pronger to a point where he collapses. Meszaros and Carle arent even close to Timonen's level. For them to replace Kimo is a disaster waiting to happen. Meszaros given #1 minutes, he imploded. Carle is carried by Pronger. There is no way they take over Timonen's responsibility
I don't think either one of them could handle the responsibility Timonen does right now, but Carle and Meszaros are young, and to think they won't get better is foolish. Now do I think either one will ever reach the level of play Timonen has? No, but the Flyers need to continue dumping salary and Kimmo will likely be the one to go.

Old
09-05-2010, 10:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I don't think either one of them could handle the responsibility Timonen does right now, but Carle and Meszaros are young, and to think they won't get better is foolish. Now do I think either one will ever reach the level of play Timonen has? No, but the Flyers need to continue dumping salary and Kimmo will likely be the one to go.
You dont dump salary of your 2nd best defender on your team. You dont dumb Kimo HOPING Meszaros and Carle become better. We saw what happened two years ago with just 1 #1 d-man, Kimo did everything and almost died. Dumping him just to save some cap space will hurt us VERY badly for a team that is in a win now mode.

Old
09-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
You dont dump salary of your 2nd best defender on your team. You dont dumb Kimo HOPING Meszaros and Carle become better. We saw what happened two years ago with just 1 #1 d-man, Kimo did everything and almost died. Dumping him just to save some cap space will hurt us VERY badly for a team that is in a win now mode.
Yes, since continuing to keep an overpayed aging defensman is the road to success. Again I love Timonen, but at some point teams need to get rid of their high priced veterans and place their trust in the young players. Thats just the way it is.

Also being in a "win now" mode can be dangerous, once the veterans go down hill clubs fall off the face of the map for a long period of time. Teams have to find a balance between planning for the future, and staying competitive at the current time. I think moving Timonen after next season would be right in the middle of those two.

Old
09-05-2010, 10:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Yes, since continuing to keep an overpayed aging defensman is the road to success. Again I love Timonen, but at some point teams need to get rid of their high priced veterans and place their trust in the young players. Thats just the way it is.

Also being in a "win now" mode can be dangerous, once the veterans go down hill clubs fall off the face of the map for a long period of time. Teams have to find a balance between planning for the future, and staying competitive at the current time. I think moving Timonen after next season would be right in the middle of those two.
You need to pay to get. For a guy who does almost everything on the team, you need him. Like I said, you dont just hope the young guys do well. We dont have any sure defensemen who can make the jump and be a number 1 guy. We have no bluechip prospects for the future. I know people hate to hear it, but Homer put us in this window. To achieve it you dont dump guys who are highly important for your team, just to place young cheaper guys who arent as good. Timonen has 3 years left. If he continues to do what he does, and put up a decent amount of point while he continues to cover his partner's ass like he always does, you dont trade him for the better of the team. Homer grabbed Meszaros to spread the minutes around, not to dump Kimo and replace him. Then we are back to square one.

Pronger-Carle
Coburn-Meszaros

Sorry but I dont trust these pairings one bit. Pronger has 1 off night, its a sure loss for the team

Old
09-05-2010, 10:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
If you're asking if Holmgren plans to do it, probably not. He doesn't plan far enough ahead to figure out whether or not he needs to lock the door before going to sleep.

Is Timonen going to be traded next year? Probably. They don't realize it yet, but it will probably happen if for any reason other than it shouldn't. I'm making sure I get my Timonen jersey signed by him this year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
You make a good point!!!

However, your trade is a bit lopsided.......We need Koci to beat up guys.

How about a 6th + a giant mackrel sent to Richards in the mail so he can slap Homer across the face with it?!

I think both sides come off well in this deal
I would approve this trade but only on the condition that the event is captured on camera and posted for all to see.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:46 PM
JGalt

JvR/Giroux/Zherdev are going to make Hartnell/Briere expendable long before Carle/Mez/Coburn are even going to be thinking about pushing Kimmo/Pronger out.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
JvR/Giroux/Zherdev are going to make Hartnell/Briere expendable long before Carle/Mez/Coburn are even going to be thinking about pushing Kimmo/Pronger out.
Nobody is going to push Pronger out. Timonen is far more expendable than one of the best defenseman to ever play the game.

Old
09-06-2010, 01:39 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Nobody is going to push Pronger out. Timonen is far more expendable than one of the best defenseman to ever play the game.
Timonen isn't expendable. People who think he's regressing are stupid.

If you check his numbers last year, he only missed the year before by a handful of points. His +/- suffered, but a lot of that had to do with his partners and his difficulty in adjusting to his new role after being the single most important piece of our team for the two years prior.

He even had his best year he's had with us, in terms of playoff contribution.

The way Timonen plays should allow him to play out his contract without missing a beat, and until he stops being one of the most effective yet unheralded defensemen in the league, I see no reason to dump him.

The end.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 01:58 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
For the most part, anyone can be had for a price. Hopefully if he is dealt we get a good return, but I don't see it happening unless there is a sick offer on the table.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 01:59 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Timonen isn't expendable. People who think he's regressing are stupid.

If you check his numbers last year, he only missed the year before by a handful of points. His +/- suffered, but a lot of that had to do with his partners and his difficulty in adjusting to his new role after being the single most important piece of our team for the two years prior.

He even had his best year he's had with us, in terms of playoff contribution.

The way Timonen plays should allow him to play out his contract without missing a beat, and until he stops being one of the most effective yet unheralded defensemen in the league, I see no reason to dump him.

The end.
Timonen will be owed a total of eight million over the final two years of his deal at ages 37 and 38, sorry, I don't feel comfortable with that.

Old
09-06-2010, 10:10 AM
CptCannon

Please Homer, do NOT.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote