HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

shinny/pick up hockey in Florida

Old
09-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Baba Ganoush

vCash: 500
shinny/pick up hockey in Florida

hey everyone. i'm moving to Florida in a month or so and am wondering if there is a good amount of pick up hockey down there. i'm going to bring my equipment either way, but figured i'd ask you folks.

i'm used to playing a few times a week and am hoping to do the same down there!

thanks in advance for any responses.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Florida's a huge place, where are you moving to?

09-05-2010, 09:31 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
If it's ice hockey you're looking for, it's not hard to find. SkateZone has sessions on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Palm Beach Iceworks has pick-up on Tuesdays and Thursdays and also on Saturday and Sunday. I'm not sure of Incredible Ice, but I've played there on Friday nights--I'm sure they still have at least that session. There's also Glacier Ice and Snow, but I haven't had all that much luck there. I played there once, but the couple other times I tried, they canceled the sessions.

Here are the websites to those places:

http://pbiw.org/
http://www.pbskatezone.com/
http://www.saveologyiceplex.com/index.php (Formerly called Incredible Ice)
http://www.glaciericeandsnow.com/

Looking at the sites, it seems Glacier Ice and Snow does have sessions during the week. I tend to stick to the other three, though. I think as of now, SkateZone gets the best turnout during the week. The times that I have played at Incredible Ice have been pretty busy, too. You should be prepared to call in ahead and reserve a spot.

As far as roller hockey goes, i can't say. I know there used to be a group of guys who played at an outdoor rink every Tuesday. This was quite a while ago, so I'm not sure if that still happens.

This was assuming that you were moving to South Florida, if you're moving to the Tampa area, I usually played at TBSA. They usually have multiple sessions every week. There's also a rink down in Ellenton, on in Clearwater, and one in Brandon (where the Lightning practice). I can't really speak for the schedules of the other three places--I'm most familiar with TBSA. If you're moving to the Orlando area, all I know of around there is the RDV Sportsplex. My brother used to play there, I never have. I assume they have pick-up, though.

Last edited by StrangeVision: 09-05-2010 at 09:41 PM.
StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Baba Ganoush

i did indeed mean ice hockey. i'm a goalie. thanks so much guys. appreciate it!

strange vision" the first sentence in your reply made my day. i was worried...

Old
09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Baba Ganoush

good call Laus. i should have specified. my bad.

i'll be in/near Fort Lauderdale.

Old
09-05-2010, 09:53 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Yeah, you'll be fine finding pick-up down here. There isn't exactly an abundance of rinks, but there's enough hockey to be played. It's especially good being a goalie; the only place I've had to pay to play at was Glacier Ice and Snow. Incredible Ice used to actually pay goalies a few bucks to play for the entire session.

They may still, I haven't been there in a long time.

Last edited by StrangeVision: 09-05-2010 at 09:58 PM.
StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 10:52 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Yeah, you'll be fine finding pick-up down here. There isn't exactly an abundance of rinks, but there's enough hockey to be played. It's especially good being a goalie; the only place I've had to pay to play at was Glacier Ice and Snow. Incredible Ice used to actually pay goalies a few bucks to play for the entire session.

They may still, I haven't been there in a long time.
I've heard they pay goalies $15 a game over in Raleigh. Too bad it's a 5 hour drive for me, though.

ratmanfu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
good call Laus. i should have specified. my bad.

i'll be in/near Fort Lauderdale.
Yeah, plenty of hockey in that area. Not like up north, obviously, but you won't have a problem finding it. Have fun, welcome to Florida.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, plenty of hockey in that area. Not like up north, obviously, but you won't have a problem finding it. Have fun, welcome to Florida.
thanks.

thanks again for the responses guys. appreciate it.

i'm looking forward to the move, and going to some Panthers/Leafs games if possible, as well as some other teams when they come to town.

just a few more questions for you guys.

1. what are ticket prices like for Panthers games? and are they inflated when they play the Leafs?

2. what is the TV like down there? will i be able to watch Leafs games, or order channels so that i can (like the NHL network)?

i get the NHL network basically every year. loving watching puck. hopefully i can do the same there (don't see why not, but i'm not sure).

i was going to just get a package from the Leafs site to watch the entire season online, and just hook up my laptop to my TV and watch that way...but i'd prefer the NHL channels so i can follow more teams.

Old
09-07-2010, 10:23 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
If Ft.Lauderdale, then I assume you'll be out East. Glacier is a good skate. I skate there 3 days a week, and it's pretty consistent. As a goalie, you'll play for free, and everyone is pretty cool.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:36 PM
vektorious

Whats going on buddy. If you are in Fort Lauderdale you will end up having to commute a bit out west to play some good open hockey at either Pines Ice Arena which is off of Flamingo Rd and Taft St or Incredible Ice which is off the Sawgrass Expressway and Sample Rd. Pines Ice Arena has open hockey sessions at 10:20 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Incredible Ice has open hockey Friday nights at 10:15 PM. I play open hockey over at Pines Ice...Always a good amount of people there!

www.pinesicearena.com

Hope to see ya out there, PM me for anymore questions!

vektorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Fairy Price

Hey guys, im a bruins fan from CT also moving to the fort lauderdale area in november and before i find a job i need to find a ice and roller team... Im a forward who played juniors up here in new england and played in mens elite leagues up here. If any of your teams have an opening let me know and i wont disappoint you! I also played pro roller in the mlrh and more recently piha and was wondering if there are any premier roller leagues down there. thanks in advance guys and see you at the B's game in november!

Fairy Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyBruins18 View Post
Hey guys, im a bruins fan from CT also moving to the fort lauderdale area in november and before i find a job i need to find a ice and roller team... Im a forward who played juniors up here in new england and played in mens elite leagues up here. If any of your teams have an opening let me know and i wont disappoint you! I also played pro roller in the mlrh and more recently piha and was wondering if there are any premier roller leagues down there. thanks in advance guys and see you at the B's game in november!
There are leagues and pickup all over the place. Just figure out where the rinks are and get involved.

I live in west boca. Skate at glacier ice and snow (pompano), incredible ice (coral springs, now renamed saveology iceplex - ya it's a worse name), and icezone (lake worth). You might want to skate at pembroke pines ice or wtv is in the area down there.

Last edited by Hip to be Square: 09-11-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
thanks.

thanks again for the responses guys. appreciate it.

i'm looking forward to the move, and going to some Panthers/Leafs games if possible, as well as some other teams when they come to town.

just a few more questions for you guys.

1. what are ticket prices like for Panthers games? and are they inflated when they play the Leafs?

2. what is the TV like down there? will i be able to watch Leafs games, or order channels so that i can (like the NHL network)?

i get the NHL network basically every year. loving watching puck. hopefully i can do the same there (don't see why not, but i'm not sure).

i was going to just get a package from the Leafs site to watch the entire season online, and just hook up my laptop to my TV and watch that way...but i'd prefer the NHL channels so i can follow more teams.
1. No, they're pretty reasonable. If you're going to a handful of games you can find plenty of good seats for around 20 bucks or less, as plenty of seats can be found online.

2. TV depends what provider you get, but you can pick up center ice on just about all of them (probably your best bet for seeing as many games as possible), and NHL network plays Hockey Night in Canada on Saturdays, so there are a handful of Toronto games on (but it doesn't come with most basic packages).

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote