HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The 1983-84-85 Oilers vs. the 1986-87-88 Oilers

Old
09-05-2010, 07:43 PM
howlincoyote2k1

vCash: 500
The 1983-84-85 Oilers vs. the 1986-87-88 Oilers

Basically a pretty simple question here: which "half" of the Oilers dynasty would fare better against other great teams in NHL history, and why?

howlincoyote2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Canadiens1958

Second Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlincoyote2k1 View Post
Basically a pretty simple question here: which "half" of the Oilers dynasty would fare better against other great teams in NHL history, and why?
Second half. The first half learned how to win. The second half built on that by learning not to lose.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:27 PM
greatgazoo

The second half of the dynasty was much more responsible in their own end. They would fare much better against other clubs from different eras, IMO.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Big Phil

The points brought up in this thread are valid. By the end of the dynasty the Oilers were more responsible and in order to do that cut back on their offense slightly (while still being dangerous). But I guess you can lump me in the category of the early years. I think their best season was 1984. I like the team better when they had a prime Coffey. Plus on the ice the first three years of the team had more success. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow though if someone chose the second half of the dynasty either, after all, Fuhr was better, the defense shaped up, etc.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:36 AM
Bluefan75

Based on the question I would have to go with the second half as well for the reasons given, but I love run and gun hockey with tons of chances, and I have to agree with BigPhil about the 84 team. I think that was Gretzky's absolute peak as a point producer. 87-118-205 with 6 missed games. He was still the extremely dangerous scorer at that point, as he would become much more of a passer in later years, and only a very dangerous scorer.

There just seemed to be something special about that early group. Maybe it was the "how much can they accomplish?" feeling you had with them. Maybe it was the fact that they had a rule changed because of them(4-on-4) whereas the later group was a little more businesslike.

I'm trying to think which was more impressive, the way they handled the 84 Islanders, or the way they manhandled what by all rights was a great Calgary team in 88.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:46 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
T-he latter half. Gretzky & Kurri had found their perfect linemate in Esa Tikkanen and in 86-87 they also had a righty offensive dman in Reijo Ruotsalainen (later in the season).

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:24 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

The latter half.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The points brought up in this thread are valid. By the end of the dynasty the Oilers were more responsible and in order to do that cut back on their offense slightly (while still being dangerous). But I guess you can lump me in the category of the early years. I think their best season was 1984. I like the team better when they had a prime Coffey. Plus on the ice the first three years of the team had more success. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow though if someone chose the second half of the dynasty either, after all, Fuhr was better, the defense shaped up, etc.
I would choose the second half without hesitation. But more specifically, the team that they had at the end of 1986-1987 was insanely talented, with a very strong supporting cast.

With a top six of Gretzky, Kurri, Anderson, Messier, Nilsson and Tikkanen, roll players like MacTavish, McClelland, Krushelnyski, Pouzar, Hunter and a 19 year old Buchberger, with Coffey, Lowe, Smith, Beukeboom, Muni, Huddy, and McSorely on the backend, and with Moog and Fuhr in goal, you had a team that could play it anyway you wanted to, including a back alley brawl if need be.

This was not an old team either. Pouzar was 34, but was in great shape and was built like a tank. (I loved watching "the Pouz" play the game!) Greg and Nilsson were 30. Everyone else was in their 20's with most of the core being 27 or younger. Had this team been able to stay together as a unit, it would have been an absolute wrecking ball.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote