Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss hockey players in NHL/AHL

Old
09-03-2010, 05:15 PM
torero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
Just wondering. Which player will have a better future and holds more potential? Wick or Josi?
I'll say Josi, all the way. His upside is simply amazing.

Not that i deem Wick poorly, I believe and hope that Wick will do well and will end up maybe as a 2nd liner. With a 40/50 points per regular season.

I see in Josi a distributor, sniper, ... à la Streit a bit. He could be THE offensive defender in a team with pp time ... like a 20 to 25 minutes ice time per game in some years. With a 50 points per regular season. Maybe even a Norris winner! (i am a bit too optimistic ... possibly)

But i am a positive person and therefore teint my opinion with it.

Last edited by torero: 09-03-2010 at 06:05 PM.
torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 09:41 AM
TheNextOneX

An additional junior players in the CHL would be Alessio Bertaggia transfer from the U18 HC Lugano to the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL.

One of the few Swiss players who score against Canada in the loss 7-3 at the Hlinka Tournament.

Good luck to him!

Last edited by TheNextOneX: 09-06-2010 at 09:47 AM.
TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:12 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
An additional junior players in the CHL would be Alessio Bertaggia transfer from the U18 HC Lugano to the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL.

One of the few Swiss players who score against Canada in the loss 7-3 at the Hlinka Tournament.

Good luck to him!

Is this really happening? That would mean Niederreiter stays on Long Island for sure or Bertaggia won't play a game, because a team can only have 2 europeans and one of them is Sven Bärtschi, also from Switzerland.

adit: ah, found the story about it: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...267522&print=1
So he is only at training camp and has a shot at the 2011 CHL Import Draft, but not at the roster this year.

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 01:04 PM
torero

Portland Winterhawks

Presently the players on their roster : Nino Niederreitter and Sven Baertschi ... note that their is another Slovene in the roster ... therefore their are 3 foreigners.

http://www.winterhawks.com/page/current-roster

Old
09-13-2010, 01:31 AM
swissexpert

Bärtschi scored 4 (!) goals in a 6-2- Pre-Season win for the Winterhawks.
I'm really looking forward to see the 2 swiss guys performing for Portland.
Hopefully, Nino won't be longer than 9 games on Long Island

Old
09-13-2010, 08:24 AM
torero

Alain Berger will be in the training camp with the Florida Panthers with a trial contract. (someone has an idea what a "trial contract" is ?? or what is the difference between being invited to a training camp and a trial contract)

While Robert Meyer and Yannick Weber will participate to the Canadien's training camp.

Old
09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
swisdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Bärtschi scored 4 (!) goals in a 6-2- Pre-Season win for the Winterhawks.
I'm really looking forward to see the 2 swiss guys performing for Portland.
Hopefully, Nino won't be longer than 9 games on Long Island
We have to be extremely careful about the Pre-Season game. I'm not very impressed cause he scored 4 goals in a game like this. I'll wait the season...

I remember Riesen scored an hattrick in the Pre-seaon game with the Oilers. And everybodies know the end of the story.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:02 PM
torero

The following Swiss players are going to the following training camps :

Edmonton Oilers : Dominik Schlumpf and Martin Gerber
Florida Panthers : Alain Berger
Ottawa Senators : Roman Wick
Nashville Predators : Roman Josi
Anaheim MightyDucks : Jonas Hiller and Luca Sbisa
NY Islanders : Mark Streit and Nino Niderreitter
Dallas Stars : Severin Blindenbacher
Canadien Montreal : Yannick Weber and Robert Meyer
Tampa Bay : Juraj Simek

13 players ! with only 2 sure NHL players : Hiller and Streit.

Alain Berger and Dominik Schlumpf

Both were first invited into the Rookie camps for the Panthers and the Oilers.
Now Both have been invited to stay for the upcoming regular vets training camp by their invitor.

Great stuff !

Old
09-16-2010, 10:20 PM
torero

Roman Josi

Just ended his rookie training camp with the Predators ... in 2 games against the rookies from Florida (Alain Berger).

Pred's won 5-0 and 5-1 agains Florida. Their is little to read about Josi in the online literature on the side of the predators, the one's mentioning much more Josi and actually praising him and his game were more the Panther's fans !!
In both games he was mentioned by a (different) Panther fan as the best on ice ! Of course it should be taken for what it is ... yet he was not pinpointed as the worst ... (the compas indicates North !)

It is (almost) never a bad sign to be noticed by your enemy ! and generaly it is a more neutral approach less loaded with conventional wisdom and local hype.

Great Stuff Roman

Old
09-17-2010, 12:50 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
I can see following Players begin the Season in training camps:

Hiller (100% chance of making the roster)
Streit (100%)
Sbisa (75%, depends on the Duck's D-situation)
Niederreiter (10% - 40%,depends on the team that drafts him)
Josi (30%, will Hamhuis resign, can Sulzer, Blum make the roster?)
Weber (20%, depends on retirings, resignings)
Simek (10%, was on the team until the last cut in last camp, this year he was even better in AHL)
Mayer (2%, they have better Goalies behind Halak, Price)
Wick (40%, if yes, he'll play top 6 forward!)
Ambühl (10%, maybe with better luck)
Deruns (10%)
Stephan (40%, if he'll be invited, I see him as a Back-Up)
Gerber (50%, like Stephan)

haha, 13 swiss players in the training camps, this would be awesome, but I don't see this happen
sorry, but I have to quote this old stuff. After I wrote this, many of you said it would be impossible and even I by myself thought it would be a little bit unrealistic
And now, it happened exactly that way, not with the same players but 13 camp invitees.
Ambühl and Deruns decided to stay here in Switzerland, but Schlumpf and Berger showed up and the Stars changed Stephan with Blindenbacher.
That's amazing!
With the chance of making the team I was also not that wrong. for now, I would change Sbisa up to 95%, Nino to 70% (at least the first 9 games) Josi and Weber will be first men to call-up because of injuries, so 45% is ok.
Simek, Schlumpf, Mayer and Berger need very good camps to have a chance -> 15%. Blindenbacher, Wick and Gerber will be around the roster, ready if the team needs them. I would say 55%.

Beside Streit, Hiller and Sbisa, we will see 3 other guys on opening night rosters I guess. Don't want to say which ones

Last edited by swissexpert: 09-17-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old
09-17-2010, 03:50 AM
torero

Congrats Swissexpert ... you are THE swiss expert

pitty you put at the end :

Quote:

haha, 13 swiss players in the training camps, this would be awesome, but I don't see this happen

(it's like ticking the right horses on the betting ticket and dropping the ticket just before paying for the actual bet !)

Old
09-18-2010, 04:28 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
(it's like ticking the right horses on the betting ticket and dropping the ticket just before paying for the actual bet !)
so no prize for me?
can't wait for the season to start

Old
09-19-2010, 10:44 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

So swissexpert. What Conz future?
I really like him as a goalie prospect. I feel he can make an impact in the NHL one day if he can work with good goalie coaches in a NHL organization.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 10:58 AM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
So swissexpert. What Conz future?
I really like him as a goalie prospect. I feel he can make an impact in the NHL one day if he can work with good goalie coaches in a NHL organization.
Until he starts performing in the swiss league with Langnau, I can't see NHL teams having interest in him. Sure the team in front of him is probably the worst in the league (or 2nd worst), but he's just being average at the moment IMO.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:10 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Until he starts performing in the swiss league with Langnau, I can't see NHL teams having interest in him. Sure the team in front of him is probably the worst in the league (or 2nd worst), but he's just being average at the moment IMO.
average is maybe the wrong word, since swiss goaltending is on a very high level, but I think you're right.
He's still very young and can prove himself as a good starter, but for now, I'd rather take Genoni or Stephan if I were a GM.

Old
09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
smitty10

Quote:
sorry, but I have to quote this old stuff. After I wrote this, many of you said it would be impossible and even I by myself thought it would be a little bit unrealistic
And now, it happened exactly that way, not with the same players but 13 camp invitees.
Ambühl and Deruns decided to stay here in Switzerland, but Schlumpf and Berger showed up and the Stars changed Stephan with Blindenbacher.
That's amazing!
With the chance of making the team I was also not that wrong. for now, I would change Sbisa up to 95%, Nino to 70% (at least the first 9 games) Josi and Weber will be first men to call-up because of injuries, so 45% is ok.
Simek, Schlumpf, Mayer and Berger need very good camps to have a chance -> 15%. Blindenbacher, Wick and Gerber will be around the roster, ready if the team needs them. I would say 55%.

Beside Streit, Hiller and Sbisa, we will see 3 other guys on opening night rosters I guess. Don't want to say which ones
IMO Schlumpf and Berger have 0% chances at making an NHL roster this season. If anything they are playing for a contract that would place them in the ECHL or AHL, but neither of them have any chance at all of making the NHL this season.

When was the last time you saw players passed over in draft(s) and then make an NHL team out of camp or even played that season? It just doesn't happen. They have a shot at an NHL/AHL contract, but they will both be in junior again in a week or two regardless of how they play (except Berger who COULD be in the AHL/ECHL).

Mayer also has a 0% chance of making the NHL this year and will probably play back-up in the AHL or starter in the ECHL. Josi has an outside chance at playing an NHL game this season, but is still behind Sulzer, Ellis, Laakso and Blum on the depth chart.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:56 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
average is maybe the wrong word, since swiss goaltending is on a very high level, but I think you're right.
He's still very young and can prove himself as a good starter, but for now, I'd rather take Genoni or Stephan if I were a GM.
Well I have been a fan of Tobi since he got drafted so if he could ever come back that be amazing.

Old
09-19-2010, 05:13 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
IMO Schlumpf and Berger have 0% chances at making an NHL roster this season. If anything they are playing for a contract that would place them in the ECHL or AHL, but neither of them have any chance at all of making the NHL this season.

When was the last time you saw players passed over in draft(s) and then make an NHL team out of camp or even played that season? It just doesn't happen. They have a shot at an NHL/AHL contract, but they will both be in junior again in a week or two regardless of how they play (except Berger who COULD be in the AHL/ECHL).

Mayer also has a 0% chance of making the NHL this year and will probably play back-up in the AHL or starter in the ECHL. Josi has an outside chance at playing an NHL game this season, but is still behind Sulzer, Ellis, Laakso and Blum on the depth chart.
On Berger and Schlumpf i believe that we all agree that if they have a contract for the farm team ... their target is already reached ... by far ! both are pretty young.

On Josi, you may be a bit too pessimistic ! IMO he has a serious chance to be among the first call ups.
Beyond that, he seems to be on the same level than Ellis and Blum. Then if you see at the 2009/10 rankings, the Predator's defense was average last year. Therefore ... if I was coach ... i would be looking to improve it ... hence to change them. The pairing Blum-Josi was tried during the rookies games vs Florida. Don't be surprised to see them alligned in the coming prep games. And if they do well ... possibly they could play some games this year already (2010) !!.
Klein, Sulzer or even Bouillon don't seem to be out of reach.
I am not saying it is a done deal !! but it is not fixed yet. That is clear. And the old team wasn't a proper winning team !
If Josi, with his offensive skills fits into the team (has good chemistry with the forwards ...) he may appear very quickly on NHL ice. (this will be tested in the coming days.)
Nashville needs help on the forward level ! it could also come from an offensive defense !

Last edited by torero: 09-19-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old
09-20-2010, 02:21 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

That's what I'm saying. They'd need real exploits to get a contract. C'mon, 5 or 15% doesn't matter, this just means I don't see them on a team on opening night. I rounded them up, also because simek for example has a real shot, he always made it to the last cut and had a good AHL season last year.

Josi will be one of the call-up men if there'll be injuries, that's sure. Laakso and Blum are not way ahead of him. Sulzer is on a one-way contract so he'll probably already be on the roster in october, maybe as #7.

I see Hiller, Streit, Sbisa, Nino, and Wick on an NHL roster next month.
Weber, Gerber, Josi, Blindenbacher and Simek with call-up chances, in that order.
To be honset, I'm not really into the Blindebacher situation, but they just re-signed Niskanen and seem pretty loaded with average defenders. I personally don't think Blindi is an NHL type of player, but maybe that's just me and I hope I'm wrong

Last edited by swissexpert: 09-20-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old
09-20-2010, 02:51 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
I see Hiller, Streit, Sbisa, Nino, and Wick on an NHL roster next month.
Weber, Gerber, Josi, Blindenbacher and Simek with call-up chances, in that order.
I would swap Niederreiter and Gerber. Nino may play nine games but he will be sent back to his junior team, while the current goalie situation in Edmonton is very hard to predict.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:27 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I would swap Niederreiter and Gerber. Nino may play nine games but he will be sent back to his junior team, while the current goalie situation in Edmonton is very hard to predict.
For Gerber, I agree with you. Khabby is away from his best, even his solid days and has to spend a month or something in prison, while the "prospect"-duo isn't young nor anything special. Ok, Deslauriers wasn't bad, considering the Oilers defense...

For Niederreiter, I don't know it's all hype or is he really a superstar on the rise...
Only a year ago, he was something like # 45 on scouts lists, with the upside of going in the 1st round. After the WJC some crazy guys said he could be a top-20 draftee and he went along the scout's lists up to #10-12 and some speculated he could be the highest drafted swiss player ever. Then the Islanders took him at #5 and were all happy. You can't find many Isles fans now who're saying they'd rather have Fowler or Connoly...
The common thought was he has to spend 1-2 more years in Portland but in the last few weeks, I read a lot of Blogs/Articles saying he has to stay, even Scott Gordon is quoted Nino would get the same chance like others.
Fans are high very on him, expecting similar point production as Tavares in their respective peak years.
I wouldn't be surprised if he stays and scores 35 points on the 3rd line. It's also possible that he won't do much in his first 9 games and score just 50 points in the WHL what makes him stay for another season.
I just don't know whats more possible...

Old
09-20-2010, 08:01 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

What Niederreiter showed during the last world championship seems to indicate he's not ready to play a full season of professional hockey.

His potiental sure looks good, but I don't see him as an NHL player right now.

Last edited by stv11: 09-21-2010 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typo
stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:10 PM
torero

Schlumpf

Was assigned to the Oklahoma City Barrons from his camp with the Oilers.
ERROR ... IT WAS AN OPINION

Josi

is out for 4 to 6 weeks due to a wrist injury.

Last edited by torero: 09-20-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: wrong information
Old
09-20-2010, 07:07 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Schlumpf

Was assigned to the Oklahoma City Barrons from his camp with the Oilers.
ERROR ... IT WAS AN OPINION

Josi

is out for 4 to 6 weeks due to a wrist injury.
Wow out of all the players in the Preds camp it has to be my favorite player and one of my favoriteSwiss player/prospects.

Old
09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
torero

Alain Berger

Was sent back to Oshawa Generals from the Panther's camp.

Dominik Schlumpf

Was also sent back to Cataractes de Shawinigan

Both (Berger and Schlumpf) regretfully before any prep game.

Nino Niederreitter

Got a 3 year contract with the NYI. He'll probably play the prep games and ... as pointed out ... possibly the 9 games allowing him to return to the WHL in case he isn't deemed NHL ready by the NYI coaches.