Notices

Eric Nystrom Expectations

Old
09-04-2010, 12:38 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Eric Nystrom Expectations

Strengths: Gritty, Character winger who is defensively responsible. Involved with off-ice community projects. May have more offensive upside than shown based off his role in Calgary. Very affordable contract.

Weaknesses: Or he may just be a gritty, character checking winger. May not possess much goal scoring acumen.

I liked this signing, and based off what I've read from Flames fans, they were sad to see Nystrom leave. He immediately gives the Wild more jam, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put into a spot where he can contribute more offensively.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Kari Takko

Tougher Clutterbuck. Won't put up more than 25 points, but all of those points will be exciting cause he'll have to work his @$$ off. Will be a fan favorite.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Jbcraig1883

Pros: Gritty, leadership, team-first guy. Will be a fan pleaser.

Cons: Limited offensively. Hasn't shown skillset for being drafted in first round. Below average hands.

Expectations: I think he and Clutterbuck will become the Draper and Maltby of the Wild. Well, not for as long since this is the cap era but at least for their respective contracts. He will finish checks, he will be a thorn in opposing players' sides and will stick up for teammates. I expect him to drop the gloves with all pests/middleweights, get about 20 points and be this year's Zanon...the hard-worker who does all the little things that the fans respect.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 03:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
unlike sheppard, Nystrom is past his "well, he isn't going to be the guy we drafted so what do we turn him into?" trial. Hard grinder with all the positives that implies: tough, hard-working, aggressive. He's probably a little more serious than clutterbuck is right now (less chirpy, less pesty) but those two together or one each on the bottom lines will make us a little harder to play against. Should be a good example (if he lives up to his "character" billing) for the call-ups we'll inevitably see.

I expect at least 30 pts and quite a few "tough" penalty minutes (good thing or bad thing, a player in his role will collect roughings and such). He'll probably have one or two multi-point games but spend most of the season off the score sheet. Curious to see if he pushes iginla around.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 05:16 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

20 points, provides some toughness up front kind of like Nolan

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 09:38 PM
State of Hockey

5-8 goals. 12-18 points. Hard working, gritty, but not much on the offensive end. Should see PK time. It will interesting to see how much ice time he gets. In Calgary he was getting just over 13 minutes. That's a step above Richards' 4th-line ice time. So I'm not expecting a repeat of his 2009-10 offensive stats.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I expect him to have a lot of hits, a few fights, and chip in offensively. I expect strong defensive play and a lot of energy. I think with Madden and Clutterbuck they could be one of the best fourth lines and hardest to play against, and that depth should make us a lot better. Somewhere around 8 goals and 20 points maybe?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I expect him to have a lot of hits, a few fights, and chip in offensively. I expect strong defensive play and a lot of energy. I think with Madden and Clutterbuck they could be one of the best fourth lines and hardest to play against, and that depth should make us a lot better. Somewhere around 8 goals and 20 points maybe?
That could be the best Wild checking line since ol' #37 laced em up.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote