HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Elliott Career Progression

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2010, 03:39 PM
  #1
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Brian Elliott Career Progression

Brian Elliott Career Progression

18Yrs old - NCAA 6GP .912sv%
19Yrs old - NCAA 9GP .945sv%
20Yrs old - NCAA 33GP .938sv% (NCAA champions)

21Yrs old - NCAA 36GP .923sv%
He carried Wisconsin to every victory trhey could get this year... they did not have a forward crack 30 points this season as Pavelski and Earl both 50 point players the year before moved on as well as defenseman Tom Gilbert.

AHL 6GP .866sv%

22Yrs old - AHL 44GP .915sv%
23Yrs old - AHL 30GP .926sv% + NHL 31GP .902sv%

(He talked about becoming the statrting goalie and training in Wisconsin to take that step last summer... can't find the quote though)

24Yrs old - NHL 55GP .909sv%

I don't see why his progression would stop now... no reason to think that. Probably gets the sv% this season to around .915

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
  #2
c_mak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 765
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to c_mak
no reason to argue numbers with you. I'd love to see him continue to improve. I have never been sure of him as a number one goalie because I think he lacks that big save moment. That said he could turn out to be a smaller positionally sound goalie who makes lots of saves look easy because of his ability to read the play

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 03:46 PM
  #3
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Brian Elliott Career Progression

18Yrs old - NCAA 6GP .912sv%
19Yrs old - NCAA 9GP .945sv%
20Yrs old - NCAA 33GP .938sv% (NCAA champions)

21Yrs old - NCAA 36GP .923sv%
He carried Wisconsin to every victory trhey could get this year... they did not have a forward crack 30 points this season as Pavelski and Earl both 50 point players the year before moved on as well as defenseman Tom Gilbert.

AHL 6GP .866sv%

22Yrs old - AHL 44GP .915sv%
23Yrs old - AHL 30GP .926sv% + NHL 31GP .902sv%

(He talked about becoming the statrting goalie and training in Wisconsin to take that step last summer... can't find the quote though)

24Yrs old - NHL 55GP .909sv%

I don't see why his progression would stop now... no reason to think that. Probably gets the sv% this season to around .915
I agree, he has gotten better every year & should continue that progression under Wamsley too. Leclaire might play well enough at the beginning of the year to win the #1 job, but how long will that last or will he stay injury free is anybodies guess.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:28 PM
  #4
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,414
vCash: 500
No reason to think he wouldn't have a .970 save % by the time he's 30. Then by the time he gets to 40 he'll be scoring more goals than he lets in.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:29 PM
  #5
TrueGrit
Registered User
 
TrueGrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Elliott is the one thing we can agree on Fuhr, hopefully the progression continues.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
  #6
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
No reason to think he wouldn't have a .970 save % by the time he's 30. Then by the time he gets to 40 he'll be scoring more goals than he lets in.
Obviously he will eventually come to a peak... but until he shows signs of being there... no reason to believe he wont continue to progress

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:55 PM
  #7
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Obviously he will eventually come to a peak... but until he shows signs of being there... no reason to believe he wont continue to progress
Here is one reason:

Both Leclaire and Elliott are starting the season off on equal footing - Clouston has said this specifically. As a result, poor performances by either goalie are more likely to be followed up by back-up duty than unconditional second chance opportunities. Because of this, Elliott is unlikely to play through long stretches of games (and thus become the starter) unless he is able to begin the season with very strong performances.

Maybe Elliott provides us with great goaltending right away and Clouston gives him the starting job, it is possible. However, I'd bet that the goaltending duties are shared relatively equally between Leclaire and Elliott. Elliott's progression depends significantly on the performances of Pascal Leclaire. This is one reason why Elliott won't necessarily improve by significant amounts this season.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 05:22 PM
  #8
Afro Thunder*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
I hope his playoff numbers improve dramatically in order for us to get past through the 1st round.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
  #9
Caeldan
Moderator
 
Caeldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Here is one reason:

Both Leclaire and Elliott are starting the season off on equal footing - Clouston has said this specifically. As a result, poor performances by either goalie are more likely to be followed up by back-up duty than unconditional second chance opportunities. Because of this, Elliott is unlikely to play through long stretches of games (and thus become the starter) unless he is able to begin the season with very strong performances.

Maybe Elliott provides us with great goaltending right away and Clouston gives him the starting job, it is possible. However, I'd bet that the goaltending duties are shared relatively equally between Leclaire and Elliott. Elliott's progression depends significantly on the performances of Pascal Leclaire. This is one reason why Elliott won't necessarily improve by significant amounts this season.
If anything, keeping Elliot from playing long stretches will improve his numbers. He seems to have a habit of going into a slump that takes a while to play out of when he goes a number of games without a break.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 05:35 PM
  #10
DefenseMinister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
In both NHL seasons Brian Elliott has been a part of, the more games he plays, the crummier he gets. When he is sheltered and only plays in short spurts, he looks much better. In both seasons he has worn down and looked mediocre when given the load of being the long term starter. Until he figures out a way to be more consistent in those circumstances, he will continue to be unreliable as an NHL starter.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
  #11
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
If anything, keeping Elliot from playing long stretches will improve his numbers. He seems to have a habit of going into a slump that takes a while to play out of when he goes a number of games without a break.
Well every goalie needs a break every now and then - even Brodeur and Luongo need breaks. Young and relatively inexperienced goalies can really benefit from logging many games though, as they still have much to learn. Look at Ryan Miller - he wasn't good right away but only after having been the #1 for a while did he become truly elite.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:02 PM
  #12
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 500
Eh, whatever. I just want to win a Cup and soon. That doesn't look possible if we're relying on Elliott or Leclaire to be a big part of it.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:08 PM
  #13
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Eh, whatever. I just want to win a Cup and soon. That doesn't look possible if we're relying on Elliott or Leclaire to be a big part of it.
Niemi, Huet, Boucher and Leighton say hello

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:23 PM
  #14
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
I was too lazy to post a thread like this, but I've said this for a while: Brian Elliott is a winner. His numbers have always steadily improved because he works hard and has both technical and athletic ability.

But people choose to force Leclaire into the starting role here whether he deserves it or not. Sure, that's fine, but by December Elliott will be the starting goalie on the Sens (IMO).

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:24 PM
  #15
senators101
Registered User
 
senators101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
I hope his playoff numbers improve dramatically in order for us to get past through the 1st round.
I'm not going to say he was anywhere close to being great last year, but missing Michalek, Kovalev, (and Kuba??) was a big deal. I think with another top 3 dman and 2 top 6 forwards, we had a great chance to beat Pittsburgh.

He's a young goalie who seems to take a little bit of time to accustomed to league changes. He's nowhere near his prime age and if he continues his hard work, there's no reason why he won't continue to improve during the regular season and the playoffs.

Look at Fleury's stats as a #1 overall pick. His AHL stats are horrible.
2003-2004 WILKES-BARRE PENGUINS-AHL 2-0-1 .800 3.90
2004-2005 WILKES-BARRE PENGUINS-AHL 4-0-2 .843 4.36
2005-2006 WILKES-BARRE PENGUINS-AHL 5-2-3 .883 3.48
2006-2007 PENGUINS NHL 5-1-4 .880 3.76

We don't need a gamebreaking goalie, just a solid one that does the job which will allow us to spend our money away from the net.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:25 PM
  #16
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Niemi, Huet, Boucher and Leighton say hello
The spectacular failures of the goalies of Senators past are kind of drowning out their "hello's".

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:30 PM
  #17
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
If anything, keeping Elliot from playing long stretches will improve his numbers. He seems to have a habit of going into a slump that takes a while to play out of when he goes a number of games without a break.
What about that crazy hot-streak he went on last year? Granted...he slumped a bit afterwards, but that was a pretty significant stretch without a real break.


To be honest though, i see Elliot as a potential career 1a sort of guy. He just doesn't seem to have the consistency, motivation, and big-game ability to be a definitive #1. Nothing wrong with that really, but unless he makes some real strides this year and completely wrestles the starting job away from a healthy Leclaire and proves a lot during the playoffs...

It will be interesting to see where they go with the goaltending in the next few years...with Leclaire likely out the door after this season, some big fish UFAs and potentially available trade targets out there, and Lehner waiting in the wings. Seems like bringing in a temporary stop-gap #1 or #1a type guy for a couple years after this season, then potentially rolling with an Elliot/Lehner tandem is most likely? I just don't see Elliot even really having the chance to establish himself as a bonafide uncontested starter.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
  #18
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
The spectacular failures of the goalies of Senators past are kind of drowning out their "hello's".
I think you need to stop living in the past. We no longer have Lalime, Gerber or Emery.

Leclaire's pedigree is good and as has been shown with Elliott's development, he's going to continue to improve. Right now I feel we have a solid Goal tending tandem. Elliott may not have shone in the playoffs, but that is old news.

I believe we'll see a marked improvement in both tenders this season and I believe our team will do well. I mean, if we want to compare with whats out there. Mason bit it in his sophomore season compared to Elliott, so did Jesus Price. Mason also did horrible in the playoffs after carrying Columbus there, Jesus Price hasn't faired much better.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:04 PM
  #19
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 500
Dylan, you've simply added two more goalies to my list of goalies I'd rather not see between the Sens pipes in mid-April, 2011.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:23 PM
  #20
SENSfreak_03
Registered User
 
SENSfreak_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Niemi, Huet, Boucher and Leighton say hello
those 3 haven't won a cup as a starting goalie. They're the same level as Emery, they got them there, but didn't finish it off.

Leighton stumbled in the final, and hurt the Flyers chances.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:32 PM
  #21
Wham City
Registered User
 
Wham City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Whistler
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
Alex Auld 2.0

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
  #22
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,756
vCash: 500
Elliott's got a trend going. That said, most young players will need to improve to establish themselves in the NHL. He's pretty normal right now.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:39 PM
  #23
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
those 3 haven't won a cup as a starting goalie. They're the same level as Emery, they got them there, but didn't finish it off.

Leighton stumbled in the final, and hurt the Flyers chances.
I don't think you can fairly say that Emery is akin to Leighton.
Leighton's team played reasonably well in front of him, and he played poorly. Emery played average (he was injured too wasn't he?), but the team fell apart in front of him.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
  #24
SENSfreak_03
Registered User
 
SENSfreak_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I don't think you can fairly say that Emery is akin to Leighton.
Leighton's team played reasonably well in front of him, and he played poorly. Emery played average (he was injured too wasn't he?), but the team fell apart in front of him.
they were comparable, in losing in a final, that's about it

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
  #25
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,724
vCash: 500
He will continue to improve and outplay Leclaire imo.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.