HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Training Camp/Preseason Wishlist

Old
09-05-2010, 08:28 AM
habspinner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Honestly, the only thing i don't want to see is players forced in the wrong posistions to fill a hole our GM could have easily addressed in the offseason if he wanted to. (ie. Eller (C), Pouliot (LW), Boyd (C/LW), AK (LW) - although I realise he'll likely be on the RW again - Leblanc (C).)
This I would agree with, but with the fact that we have so many centers that should play on this team this year. The bottom 6 is scattered with them: Eller, Boyd, Lapierre, Pyatt, then you have the possibility, all be it slight of having Desharnais there as well, well I still find it too many centers, but I guess the idea is that centers are more defensively responsible than wingers, and they can play that shut down game when needed.

All that being said, this team is still going to see 30-40 games of Mathieu Darche, so he's going to platoon with most likely Paciorretty or White. But that's probably not going to happen anytime soon, as those guys will probably both be sent down and unless Markov can start the season my guess is they'll go with 12 forwards and 7 defenceman - which means Picard/Weber/Carle will be #7.

But to get back to line combos (In Preseason), this is what I'd like to see:

Akost-Pleks-Avtsin
Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Lapierre-Boyd-Pyatt
Moen-White-Schultz

Spacek-Subban
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Gill-Gorges

(Pouliot and Cammy, and Darche sit out this game obviously)

But what I'd like to see on opening night (provided Markov is healthy)

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammy-Pleks-Akost
Paciorretty-Eller-Lapierre
Moen-Boyd-Pyatt

Markov-Spacek
Hamrlik-Subban
Gill-Gorges

Price
Auld

now if Pouliot bombs, and Eller or Patches soar, then you do this:

Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Cammy-Pleks-Akost
Pacioretty-Boyd-Lapierre
Pouliot-Pyatt-Moen

But I think you have to give some of these line combos at least 5-10 games. Luckily a lot of these guys played together, and a fair amount last year with the deep playoff run. Eller and Boyd are really the only new guys, with a young depth player from Hamilton, whether that be White or Pacioretty. However I fear I'm being too hopeful in seeing Markov to open the season, my guess is he goes on LTIR to start the season, and we'll see him back around game 8 or 9

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Guilliam

One other thing i'd like to see is Spacek play on the left side with O'Byrne perhaps...

Sadly I expect him to play mainly on the right side again this year but I'd like to see if he's able to give us a little bit more on his natural side

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:29 PM
ChoseLa

Patch - Eller - Avtsyn
Schultz - White - Conboy

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:56 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

I wanna see our prospects in winning condition so I'd like to see some lineups looking like those:

Cammy - Eller - Gionta
Cammy - Plekanec - Avtsin
Boyd - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Cammy - Desharnais - Gionta
Cammy - Leblanc - Gionta

Then I wanna those kid lines:

Pacioretty - Eller - Avtsin (TNT line - Tall & Talented)
Pouliot - Desharnais - Leblanc (Bertrand Raymond say wut?!)

and finally what I believe to be our first 2 lines this year

Cammy - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta (make papa proud Pouliot...)

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I won't go with line combos, but those are the players we HAVE to get a great read on:

Desharnais
Pacioretty
Maxwell
White
Weber
Carle
Enqvist
O'Byrne
Palushaj
Picard
Pouliot
Russell
St-Denis

That list is a combination of players we need to have a read on 'cause chances, decision time will come soon for those guys. And also some of those guys are the most probably callups soon in the year if the injury bug is still with us.

Yes, Avtsin, and some others would be fun to see.....but it's not that important right now since they already have a label on them. But the others are more important 'cause while we know we'll keep Avtsin for quite some time, most of the others have to be checked out and soon for various reasons.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I won't go with line combos, but those are the players we HAVE to get a great read on:

Desharnais
Pacioretty
Maxwell
White
Weber
Carle
Enqvist
Klubertanz
O'Byrne
Palushaj
Picard
Pouliot
Russell
St-Denis

That list is a combination of players we need to have a read on 'cause chances, decision time will come soon for those guys. And also some of those guys are the most probably callups soon in the year if the injury bug is still with us.

Yes, Avtsin, and some others would be fun to see.....but it's not that important right now since they already have a label on them. But the others are more important 'cause while we know we'll keep Avtsin for quite some time, most of the others have to be checked out and soon for various reasons.
I haven't seen Nash or Klubetanz play a single game, but from what i've read, i believe that Nash is the better asset, no?

Old
09-05-2010, 01:06 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

I will be specifically looking at: Eller, Desharnais, Maxwell, Boyd, MaxPac, White, Subban, Carle, Weber, Tinordi & Leblanc.

So:

* - Eller/Desharnais/Maxwell/Boyd/Leblanc - *
MaxPac/Eller/Boyd - * - *
* - * - Leblanc/White

I have some preferences for Ds, however you can mix them randomly and every single one of them should at least have some time with Skills.

Hamrlik - Subban/Tinordi.
Gorges - Carle/Weber.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I haven't seen Nash or Klubetanz play a single game, but from what i've read, i believe that Nash is the better asset, no?
You're pretty fast....I removed Klubertanz from the list based on the fact that I would leave him with the Dogs no matter what this year based on what we already have. As far as Nash is concerned, I may be too harsh on him, but I believed he's Cincy material....euh....Wheels material.

I put Klubertanz on the list first 'cause even if he's a newcomer, he's not young which makes us having to know him pretty fast to see how valuable he could be.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Guilliam

Is Klubertanz sign for 2 years or just this one?

Old
09-05-2010, 04:31 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Is Klubertanz sign for 2 years or just this one?
One Year

Brendon Nash signed a Two Year IIRC

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Wish to see the emergence of the young players...

Pax, Eller, Avtsin, etc.

And seeing O'Byrne taking a huge leap forward in his overall game

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:23 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You're pretty fast....I removed Klubertanz from the list based on the fact that I would leave him with the Dogs no matter what this year based on what we already have. As far as Nash is concerned, I may be too harsh on him, but I believed he's Cincy material....euh....Wheels material.

I put Klubertanz on the list first 'cause even if he's a newcomer, he's not young which makes us having to know him pretty fast to see how valuable he could be.
Well i thought that Nash numbers were more impressives than Klubertanz in their respective league, and early reports of Nash said he was a fast skater... plus he got size

Old
09-05-2010, 06:53 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Pacioretty-Eller-Palushaj (Michigan and St-Louis connection)

Pacioretty-Eller-Leblanc (3 complete hardworking players)
I like these two lines, particularly the first one. I think Pacioretty will be getting a good look for that 3rd line winger spot, only because I think he fits in with Eller the best out of all our developed prospects.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I like these two lines, particularly the first one. I think Pacioretty will be getting a good look for that 3rd line winger spot, only because I think he fits in with Eller the best out of all our developed prospects.
So do I. And it's not like we have plenty of prospects on the left wing that could take his place.

Old
09-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Asamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSquid View Post
I wanna see our prospects in winning condition so I'd like to see some lineups looking like those:

Cammy - Eller - Gionta
Cammy - Plekanec - Avtsin
Boyd - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Cammy - Desharnais - Gionta
Cammy - Leblanc - Gionta
Ohh man that would be so much fire power on 1 line =). However, I think I think that Gionta and Gomez are locked together and Desharnais will have to be a winger instead. Finally, it would be the shortest trio in the NHL! Yeah !

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 03:03 AM
GoHomez

Obviously I am eager to see what Engqvist can do, and to a lesser degree Klubertanz, since I saw them play alot last year.
Enqvist made the national team WC-squad (admittedly a rather weak one) last year and is smart, big and works hard. He has had a strong development in Sweden the last couple of years and it would be really satisfying if he can sustain that and make it all the way to the NHL.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:24 AM
habber24

If we're playing Boston I want Conboy, Shultz, White, Henry, Tinordi, MaxPac, Enqvist and Leblanc mixed in with Eller, Gomez, Lapierre, Pouliot, AK, Subban, Gill, Carle and Gorges.
As for line juggling, I think our 2 top lines will play in different games every other game (for chemistry reasons). Eller will center the 2nd line with Boyd (build chemistry) and Pyatt and or rookie that close to making it (Patches). Eller and Boyd will get there shifts on top line with Gomez ou Pleky lines to see if it would work in case of injuries in the season. 3rd and 4th lines will be composed of one regular 3rd or 4th liner with rookies (for experience reasons).
For the defense I think you Pair Subban with his regular season partner (Markov or Hammer) and leave him with them (build chemistry) and for Weber and Carle should play in different squads to see wich one can play top minutes and top pp and if they don't show anything positive send them down.
I think the training camp shouldn't be about getting in shape or trying experiments, it should be about building chemistry with the guys that will be on the regular season roster and the rookies that have a true chance at making the club or be the first ones being called up.

habber24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 09:46 AM
katatoniak

Pyatt - Eller - Nolan

I would really like to see the habs sign Nolan....

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Obviously I am eager to see what Engqvist can do, and to a lesser degree Klubertanz, since I saw them play alot last year.
Enqvist made the national team WC-squad (admittedly a rather weak one) last year and is smart, big and works hard. He has had a strong development in Sweden the last couple of years and it would be really satisfying if he can sustain that and make it all the way to the NHL.
I'm dreaming that one of Avtsin or Engvist has a gigantic camp so that we have no choice but to keep him on the third line with Eller. I badly want an offensive 3rd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Pyatt - Eller - Nolan

I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'd love Nolan but I haven't been following him much lately and I don't know how much he slowed down. Would he be able to follow Eller and another fast winger like Pyatt or boyd?

Old
09-06-2010, 10:55 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
I'm dreaming that one of Avtsin or Engvist has a gigantic camp so that we have no choice but to keep him on the third line with Eller. I badly want an offensive 3rd line.

I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'd love Nolan but I haven't been following him much lately and I don't know how much he slowed down. Would he be able to follow Eller and another fast winger like Pyatt or boyd?
I dont know .... but he's a beast on NHL 1995 on my super nintendo! With Sakic and Kamensky!!

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
I dont know .... but he's a beast on NHL 1995 on my super nintendo! With Sakic and Kamensky!!
Yeah...the keyword being 1995...

Old
09-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
The split teams I'm hoping for:

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Lapierre
Dumont - Leblanc - Palushaj
Wyman - Fortier - Conboy

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Darche - Desharnais - Avtsin
Pyatt - Boyd - Moen
Engqvsit - Maxwell - White

I don't like the OP concept of mixing sooo many young guys with veterans. We want to try some things, but we also need to decide on our lines for THIS year, and allow them to build chemistry. With these teams, you can experiment on certain shifts or on the PP. Then if certain guys stand out, like say Avtsin or Desharnais, you can try them in other spots as the cuts begin to fall.

Last edited by Dan K: 09-06-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Pyatt - Eller - Nolan

For what reason? He's so slow now..

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Maxpac

Personnally, i want an out of the blue tough player to make the Habs, one Schultz, Conboy, White, Henry or Bonneau please.

I have zero confidence againts many teams in the east, mainly Leafs, Senators, Flyers, Bruins, Devils, Trashers and Rangers. Talent is good, but there's a freackin reason why teams don't roll with 4 offensive lines.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Loner

It's not an easy task to organize a training camp, you need to evaluate guys that are near the NHL, experiment with realistic line combo and test your posible callup. I imagine that the first games will be for strange experimentation with more young guys playing.

My training camp line-up:
------------
Game 1
------------
Youngsters with solid defense. Unless Leblanc, Dumont and Conboy impressed they shouldn't play after this game.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Avtsin - Testing both winger in a scoring roles
Cammaleri - Leblanc - Kostitsyn - Lets start the Kostitsyn machine early
Pyatt - Desharnais - Eller - Actually a realistic trio if we've got a lot of injury
Conboy - Dumont - White - Lets them impress

Harmlik - Subban - Probably the final pairing
Spacek - Weber - PP second wave test
Tinordi - Gorges - Tinordi with the reassuring presence of Gorges

------------
Game 2
------------
Pouliot - Gomez - Eller - Which Pouliot we'll see? Can Eller step up in an offensive role?
Kostitsyn - Maxwell - Gionta - Maxwell with 2 offensive winger
Moen - Engqvist - Palushaj - Not sure about this one, I don't know Palushaj enough
Pyatt - Lapierre - Boyd - Could be an energetic fourth line

Markov - Carle - If not injured
Spacek - O'Byrne - Analyzing O'Byrne
Klubertanz - Picard - Possible defenseman backup

------------
Game 3
------------
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Avtsin - Again
Cammaleri - Desharnais - Kostitsyn - Desharnais in a offensive role
Pouliot - Maxwell - Eller - Realistic combo
Moen - Engqvist - White - I like this line

Harmlik - Subban - Again
Gill - Weber - Trying Weber with a strong defensive defenseman
Gorges - O'Byrne - Do Gorges remember how to play left?

Other experimentation - Grinder with scorers
Pouliot - Gomez - Lapierre
Cammaleri - Plekanec - White

I try to see if Desharnais or Maxwell can play on the second line if we've got injuries. Kostitsyn is playing a lot in hope to wake him before the season start After that I would play more veterans and young players that have impress so far.

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote