HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Stamkos extention lmost done

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Skip Bayless
Kristers God-levskis

vCash: 629
Stamkos extention lmost done

http://twitter.com/erlendssontrib

Quote:
Some Stamkos contract update here http://*******/dxTTyd if anybody missed it from this morning, it's near the end!
Here's the article he posted:
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/sep...rts-lightning/

Quote:
The next time Stamkos likely will make headlines is when he signs a new contract. His current deal pays him a base salary of $850,000 (the maximum under an entry-level contract) with bonuses. The next deal he signs will likely be of the long-term variety with a salary somewhere north of $7 million per season, the going rate for burgeoning stars who score 50 goals. He enters the 2010-11 campaign in the final season of his three-year entry-level contract, which means he could be a restricted free agent next summer.
Quote:
Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, who has plowed through plenty of other items on his docket in his first summer at the helm, wants to ensure Stamkos never hits the free agent market. Although there have not been any discussions between the Lightning and Stamkos' agent to this point, Yzerman said re-signing Stamkos remains a priority.

"I haven't had a chance to really start on that, but once we get into (training) camp I will start to get prepared and make contact with Steven's representation at some point,'' Yzerman said. "I would prefer (it didn't linger) but you can never be really certain as to which direction it will go, but he is an important part of the organization and we will make our best effort to get it done as quickly as possible.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Nowhere does it say a deal is almost done. Just says that extension talks will be held during Training Camp. Which is good news.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:17 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Whatever. Make it happen and make it sub 8 million.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:33 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Stamkos extension almost done
Quote:
Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, who has plowed through plenty of other items on his docket in his first summer at the helm, wants to ensure Stamkos never hits the free agent market. Although there have not been any discussions between the Lightning and Stamkos' agent to this point, Yzerman said re-signing Stamkos remains a priority.
lolz.

Cmon dude read the article.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:10 PM
CSampson

I say 6 million cap hit.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:15 PM
chasespace

I hope it's not $7million. Hopefully he can get him for about $5million per for 5 years or something along those lines.

Old
09-06-2010, 01:30 PM
ultra63

SY and his Jedi mind tricks!

Old
09-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't think Stammer is $7 million dollars worth of proven yet. He had one good season. If he brings that again this year, I can see it.

Ovechkin is probably the most recent player to hit 50+ goals on an ELC, but he was also better than Crosby, the assumed generational talent, for that period of time.

Malkin came close to 50 goals in his second season, notching 47.

Despite the goal totals, I think he's more on a tier with someone like Jonathan Toews, and his $6.3 cap hit.

Something that will play a role in this contract, is the economy. The cap isn't exploding like it used to, and it makes a long-term deal for that type of money seem unreasonable. Think of all of the players who are basically out of jobs ATM because the teams projected too generously.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 09-06-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Closed Thread