HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Future Nordiques to get nearly free building, what about us?

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I wonder how many fans posing as Habs fans would desert the team on this board and become Nords fans.
Hopefully enough, although I am hoping more for the media than anything...

I just want the Nords back for the rivalry.

Old
09-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Seth Rollins
Sierra, Hotel, India

Quote:
I wonder how many fans posing as Habs fans would desert the team on this board and become Nords fans.
Hopefully all of them.

Old
09-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Macbeth

All I ever heard about the new arena and Guvmint money is as such : 50M$ by the city, and the remaining split evenly between Ottawa and Québec.

There is no freakin' way Charest is about to announce 400mil to be invested in building a new arena in Québec. No way. Not now. Unthinkable.

Old
09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Kriss E

Spoke to a NHL scout from the West today and he told me he'd be surprised if Qc doesn't have a team within 3years.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
Hopefully all of them.
Why don't you go cheer for your Flamers.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:02 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
Depends..

Give it another year for planning, and it could be done in as little as 5 years. All depends how bad they want it.

Hockey could still theoretically be playing in the old Collisee while it waits for the new arena, I think the biggest hurdle is just getting that arena. If the arena is being funded by government, and you see willingness by the NHL to allow a franchise to be moved, Quebecor has all the money/willingness to make this happen.

I am optimistic you'll see Hockey in Quebec before 2020.
If the NHL is willing to cooperate and play at the Colisee than there might be a chance. But this is speculation.

Quebec is notorious for delays with such projects. If they say 5 years it's really 10.

Alberta on the other hand, when they want a hospital, the building is in use 2-3 years later.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Franky Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
All I ever heard about the new arena and Guvmint money is as such : 50M$ by the city, and the remaining split evenly between Ottawa and Québec.

There is no freakin' way Charest is about to announce 400mil to be invested in building a new arena in Québec. No way. Not now. Unthinkable.
Maybe it'll be a way to buy votes because Charest isn't doing very well these times (see Bastarache commission)

Old
09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky Gee View Post
Maybe it'll be a way to buy votes because Charest isn't doing very well these times (see Bastarache commission)
That doesn't help him get votes in Montreal, I can tell you that much.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
AntonCH

Give them the building for free
As long as they take future Nordiques fans and the Quebec Press go with them

Sometimes addition by subtraction works

Old
09-06-2010, 05:49 PM
MTL-rules

Small politics, Charest will give the people of Quebec city their stupid arena and they'll vote for the Liberals... since most people here think the PQ is the devil, you guys should be happy.

Personnaly, I'm ****ing pissed that even 1$ of our public money will be put in this project... big infrastructures isn't what society needs, what we need is affordable local places.

Old
09-06-2010, 06:01 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Small politics, Charest will give the people of Quebec city their stupid arena and they'll vote for the Liberals... since most people here think the PQ is the devil, you guys should be happy.

Personnaly, I'm ****ing pissed that even 1$ of our public money will be put in this project... big infrastructures isn't what society needs, what we need is affordable local places.
u are aware that building big infrastructures bring revenue to the province? from the building of the arena, to all the taxes it will collect afterward. not to mention all the side business that will flourish because of the arena like restos, sports bars etc.

Old
09-06-2010, 06:02 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
what we need is affordable local places.
move to cuba

Old
09-06-2010, 08:04 PM
ChoseLa

The Nordiques would have to pay for it if they had revenue, they don't even exist, i realy hope the government doesn't put a dime in the money pit that is the Habs.

Old
09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Newhabfan

The ones that should be annoyed the most are Expo's fans. A decent ballpark somewhere downtown would have saved the franchise.

Old
09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
u are aware that building big infrastructures bring revenue to the province? from the building of the arena, to all the taxes it will collect afterward. not to mention all the side business that will flourish because of the arena like restos, sports bars etc.
Like the Big O?

Old
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Equalization payments go towards public programs such as health care, education and social programs. The Quebec government spending money on a public arena has literally nothing to do with you, or anyone outside of Quebec. Albertans like to puff their chest because it makes them feel good, but what they don't realize is that equalization payments are a minoot portion of tax revenues in this country.

The only one who is taking this thread off the rails is you.
But if those equalization payments didn't exist, the gov't would have to pay more out of pocket for public programs such as health care, education and social programs instead of "stadiums". It doesn't matter what the payments are used for, it increases the $$ available. Not that I care, I just think you were splitting hairs there.

$8.552 billion this year from the federal Gov't. That's a lot of $$$

BTW, can anyone provide a counter argument to the points in this article. I refuse to take it at face-value. Not trolling, just want different viewpoints.

http://www.ottawasun.com/comment/col.../14936591.html

Last edited by loudi94: 09-06-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old
09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Fair enough. We'll shut the rigs down. Enjoy poverty.

You pay for my pollution? Why? Because you saw a tv program saying oil and gas is bad? Funny, you like to complain, but still have your hand out for my money.

People like you sicken me.
It's not like there's no long term solution to that though.

You should start buying TSLA stocks before your industry becomes a dinosaur.

Old
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It's not like there's no long term solution to that though.

You should start buying TSLA stocks before your industry becomes a dinosaur.
Correct. We are going to move away from oil and gas. The industry is going the way of the dinosaur.

Even if there were feasible alternative to oil and gas for transportation (there isn't), you do understand that almost everything you use has some sort of oil involved in either the manufacturing, or even the actual product itself.

Oil isn't just used in your car. It isn't going anywhere. The world would be better for it if there was a viable alternative, but there isn't.

Alberta ships billions a year the the rest of the country, who are all running at deficits, and in return we get complaints about how oil and gas are ruining the world. The people who make these complaints don't seem to mind the money, but they want us to shut down the pumps, which is asinine.

Old
09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
InglewoodJack

Hellz yeah I'd pay 400 million to get all the wonderful bandwagon journalists to get out of town!

Old
09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
But if those equalization payments didn't exist, the gov't would have to pay more out of pocket for public programs such as health care, education and social programs instead of "stadiums". It doesn't matter what the payments are used for, it increases the $$ available. Not that I care, I just think you were splitting hairs there.

$8.552 billion this year from the federal Gov't. That's a lot of $$$

BTW, can anyone provide a counter argument to the points in this article. I refuse to take it at face-value. Not trolling, just want different viewpoints.

http://www.ottawasun.com/comment/col.../14936591.html
First of all, people see $8.552 billion dollars and think instantly its a large sum of cash, it is, but not when you put into perspective with how much revenues and expenditures cost in total. For example, Quebec spends approx $12-13 billion dollars on education alone every year. So when people say, "oh well, Alberta paid for the education of Quebecois", its not true, they paid a very small portion of it. And like I will conclude below, it wasn't just Alberta, every single province put money into the pool.

Every single province pays equalization payments, all of them, the only difference is some get that money, and then some back. So I find it quite humourous when Albertans tout off how they are paying for everything, when they simply, are not. Everyone is, the only difference is Alberta is fiscally strong enough that they never get any of that money back.

Next, you also have to examine the per capital benefits of the payments. Last year, per capita, Quebec was the 5th most benefited from the payments, behind Manitoba, NB, PEI, and Nova Scotia. People see 8.5 billion and go, omg, they are looting the country, uh no, they aren't, they just have a crap load of people compared to the other negative provinces.

I just get pissed off when Albertans(not you) pretend that they pay for **** in this country. They don't, at all. You live in a confederation for christ sakes, everyone is expected to chip into a pool to help out provinces that can't provide the same services. It is what helps prevent certain provinces from being wastelands, and helps bring a united and stronger country as a whole.

I also find it humourous that BC people rarely ***** about the payments as much as Albertans. Its true that we are not always on the plus side, but come on, have some freaking modesty and compassion. Just because you rip up your sands with foreign companies paying nothing for royalities and make bucket loads of cash doesn't give you the right to slam it down the throats of all Canadians because you are blessed with natural resources.

That article is exactly what I am talking about. Its dismissive, its not even factually backed up, and I think my main arguing points have covered everything wrong with that article.

Are equalization payments the best possible system? Certainly not. Do some countries benefit more than others? Certainly. But for Albertans to suggest that they pay for things in this country, over every one else, is ****ing retarded.

Old
09-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Correct. We are going to move away from oil and gas. The industry is going the way of the dinosaur.

Even if there were feasible alternative to oil and gas for transportation (there isn't), you do understand that almost everything you use has some sort of oil involved in either the manufacturing, or even the actual product itself.

Oil isn't just used in your car. It isn't going anywhere. The world would be better for it if there was a viable alternative, but there isn't.

Alberta ships billions a year the the rest of the country, who are all running at deficits, and in return we get complaints about how oil and gas are ruining the world. The people who make these complaints don't seem to mind the money, but they want us to shut down the pumps, which is asinine.
Duh

And yes there are alternatives for cars. What do you think the TSLA stock is? Read about the Tesla roadster and the S series.
Transportation is the main driving force of oil sales. Eliminate that, and you'll turn the oil industry into a meer mineral provider like all the others.

There are alternatives for cars as there are alternatives for electric power, such as hydro-electricity (which is billions in revenues for our province and provides electricity for everyone here, and we also sell to neighboring states and provinces. Add wind power which is becoming more common, and solar power technology getting better. New alternatives will come too. And just to point out, our subway system runs on electricity, provided by our dams.

It's just a question of time.

Especially since the cost to run an electric motor is about 1/12th that of a combustion engine (of the same force).

Just the fact that you are unaware of the alternatives and the significant gains they've had in the last decade shows your unwillingness to even open your eyes.

Tesla Motors went on the stock market on June 29th 2010, something that I had been waiting for awhile now. This came after a flurry of inverstements in the company from many sources. I expect them to grow on a much wider scale in under 5 years.

Never heard of lithium-Ion batteries? They're everywhere, in almost everything electronic

Old
09-06-2010, 09:10 PM
guest1467

Oh and just to further that perspective point. Quebec's total expenditures in the last fiscal year were approx $66,100,000,000. Yeah, that 8 billion bucks they get from the Feds really pays for the majority of the services they offer. What is even more laughable is the fact that Alberta maybe, maybe, pitched in 1/5th of that money. So you are looking at Albertans paying for approx 2-3% of their public expenditures, if that even. Is that really enough for Albertans to be smug little arrogant ****s pretending that they pay for their services?

Old
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1347
Quote:

Calm down. Montreal gets tons of government funding. Look at the Big Owe, the whole province has been paying for that forever. Look at Formula 1. Anyway, in the end the province will make all that money back through revenues. Don't think for a minute that it will be a gift over to the owner of the Nordiques. It will create revenue for the province.

Old
09-06-2010, 09:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

[QUOTE=buddahsmoka1;27682177]Oh and just to further that perspective point. Quebec's total expenditures in the last fiscal year were approx $66,100,000,000. Yeah, that 8 billion bucks they get from the Feds really pays for the majority of the services they offer. What is even more laughable is the fact that Alberta maybe, maybe, pitched in 1/5th of that money. So you are looking at Albertans paying for approx 2-3% of their public expenditures, if that even. Is that really enough for Albertans to be smug little arrogant ****s pretending that they pay for their services?[/QUOTE]

And its not like the average Albertan is more intelligent or more of a hard worker than anyone else in Canada whose' province is receiving some of their money.

Old
09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Alright this has become way too political for this board.