HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2010, 08:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
My prediction on Staal contract.

2 Years - $5,350,000 Total - $2,675,000 Cap Hit
Year 1: $2,500,000
Year 2: $2,850,000
Could very well play out that way if Staal is demanding a short-term deal, he's going to have to settle for considerably less money than he's worth... Only caveat is that the Rangers really don't benefit too much in the short-term from the extra cap space....

Old
09-02-2010, 08:14 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Could very well play out that way if Staal is demanding a short-term deal, he's going to have to settle for considerably less money than he's worth... Only caveat is that the Rangers really don't benefit too much in the short-term from the extra cap space....
Is Staal then a RFA with Arb right after that?

Old
09-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

[QUOTE=Brooklyn Ranger;27628732]Staal is 4 years away from hitting UFA status under the curent CBA. Sather is evidently trying to sign him to a contact that will take him several years past that point.[/QUOTE]

no doubt the bold above is true.
i still think two years give him (Staal) the chance to prove that he's worth the kind of money he's asking for. if he does so, and he's still with the team, he'll be in a better position to get the $ he's asking for.
for sather, two years buys him time to evaluate Staal better. granted he doesn't get the UFA years he may want from Staal (i.e. Staal's freedom), but he also doesn't have to pay him as much annually.

(and "no" government is not necessarily the problem; but waste is. whether it's the management of the Rangers wasting $ or the govt, waste is waste and waste is bad. waste effects the "little" guy the most.)

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 09-03-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old
09-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
i agree with this. but i also think they aren't saddled with an overpayment either.

Old
09-05-2010, 06:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

NHL Live last night with Bill Pidto and Dave Maloney. In the first segment,they discussed the personnel moves made by the Rangers. Maloney felt the Rangers got good value on Dan Girardi's 4 years/$13.3 million contract. Maloney said Marc Staal will be signed very shortly. Maloney talked about Staal being the 3rd cog for the Rangers behind Henrik Lundqvist and Marian Gaborik.

The show was taped on the Garden hardwood floor(Read on twitter in was taped on Thursday or Friday night). Todd White and Martin Biron were on the 2nd segment. They spent most of the time talking with Biron who Maloney feels is the Rangers best acquisition during the summer.

3rd segment was Michael Del Zotto and Matt Gilroy. MDZ discussed going back home to Ontario and working out with Steve Stamkos and Stephen Weiss at Gary Roberts' facility. Maloney told Gilroy who look bigger and Gilroy agreed. Called being scratched in April a learning experience.

4th segment was prospect talk. Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh. They weren't there but Maloney talked about both of those players. Stepan needs some time in the AHL but McDonagh will have an excellent chance on playing for the Rangers. Maloney has talked to Gordie Clark. Maloney compared Stepan to Adam Oates and Craig Janney and called McDonagh a mini-Staal. Those are Clark's comparisons.

Old
09-05-2010, 07:59 AM
eco's bones

If McDonagh has a good camp Redden is gone. He pushes him off the team. Not going to keep a $6.5 mil per 32 year old as your spare defenseman. That would be a certifiably insane.

Old
09-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Celestial Black

Hey, with this team, you never quite know what insanity might occur.

Old
09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Eklund says Sharks have been inquiring about Marc Staal again. He goes on to say the Rangers are asking for Setoguchi in return... That's quite unequal value considering Seto's poor performances last season.

Old
09-06-2010, 12:42 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Eklund says Sharks have been inquiring about Marc Staal again. He goes on to say the Rangers are asking for Setoguchi in return... That's quite unequal value considering Seto's poor performances last season.
Don't worry. Eklund's source for that "rumor" is the main Rangers/Sharks thread on the Trade Board.

Old
09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Don't worry. Eklund's source for that "rumor" is the main Rangers/Sharks thread on the Trade Board.
LOL. Exactly.

Staal isn't going anywhere.

Old
09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I like how he paraphrased the Trot's comment about not being in camp without a contract. The original quote was in refernece to Dubi's holdout last year and that it should be handled the sameway. In Ek's chopped version, it's presented as if Tort's is banishing Staal from camp if he doesn't sign.

Sensationalism at it's best.

Old
09-06-2010, 01:34 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
If the Rangers are asking for Setoguchi in return what's the holdup? That's a steal for the Sharks.

Old
09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Vitto79

I would only consider Pavelski and say Douglas Murray for Staal , Avery

but yea Staal should resign

Old
09-06-2010, 02:34 PM
eco's bones

More often than not the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Old
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I would only consider Pavelski and say Douglas Murray for Staal , Avery

but yea Staal should resign
Pavelski + Vlasic. I can't see the Sharks doing that trade even if we are adding more to a package (w/o sending any of our top 5 prospects) and some shark fans will show up and laugh that down but those are the two players I want if we are moving Staal.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:04 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Pavelski + Vlasic. I can't see the Sharks doing that trade even if we are adding more to a package (w/o sending any of our top 5 prospects) and some shark fans will show up and laugh that down but those are the two players I want if we are moving Staal.
That's because, to Sharks fans, everyone but their ****** players are untouchable. I've never seen a more unreasonable group of fans, for the most part. There are some good dudes, for sure. But I cannot believe the number of people that complain when we ask for, God forbid, anything of value.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:32 PM
pwoz

I wouldn't trade Staal if they were offering Mr. Canada and a 1st rounder.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's because, to Sharks fans, everyone but their ****** players are untouchable. I've never seen a more unreasonable group of fans, for the most part. There are some good dudes, for sure. But I cannot believe the number of people that complain when we ask for, God forbid, anything of value.
Setoguchi's maybe their 5th-6th best forward and Staal is far and away our best d-man and they're acting like they're doing us a favor. And the first round draft pick. News to them--Not all first round draft picks are equal. Sather trades Staal for that package and we might as well not even bother watching this season--our defense is going to be really bad.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
More often than not the best trades are the ones you don't make.
Could not agree more.

The way for Sather to screw up an other wise decent summer is to make some bone headed deal.

I'm actually confident that won't happen though.

In fairness his recent trades have been okay, it's his F/A signings that have hurt us.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Pizza

The Seto rumors are the usual Ek dross.

Old
09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I'd be utterly shocked if we trade Staal. It's not happening. I just don't see it.

Old
09-06-2010, 05:02 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

No way they're going to trade Staal for Setoguchi. Any trade for Staal would start with Pavelski. Regardless, this is ********. It's not happening.

Old
09-06-2010, 08:23 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Setoguchi's maybe their 5th-6th best forward and Staal is far and away our best d-man and they're acting like they're doing us a favor. And the first round draft pick. News to them--Not all first round draft picks are equal. Sather trades Staal for that package and we might as well not even bother watching this season--our defense is going to be really bad.
I've never seen a fanbase filled with more homers and excuses than theirs. And I thought Habs fans were hard to deal with.

Old
09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
NHL Live last night with Bill Pidto and Dave Maloney. In the first segment,they discussed the personnel moves made by the Rangers. Maloney felt the Rangers got good value on Dan Girardi's 4 years/$13.3 million contract. Maloney said Marc Staal will be signed very shortly. Maloney talked about Staal being the 3rd cog for the Rangers behind Henrik Lundqvist and Marian Gaborik.

The show was taped on the Garden hardwood floor(Read on twitter in was taped on Thursday or Friday night). Todd White and Martin Biron were on the 2nd segment. They spent most of the time talking with Biron who Maloney feels is the Rangers best acquisition during the summer.

3rd segment was Michael Del Zotto and Matt Gilroy. MDZ discussed going back home to Ontario and working out with Steve Stamkos and Stephen Weiss at Gary Roberts' facility. Maloney told Gilroy who look bigger and Gilroy agreed. Called being scratched in April a learning experience.

4th segment was prospect talk. Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh. They weren't there but Maloney talked about both of those players. Stepan needs some time in the AHL but McDonagh will have an excellent chance on playing for the Rangers. Maloney has talked to Gordie Clark. Maloney compared Stepan to Adam Oates and Craig Janney and called McDonagh a mini-Staal. Those are Clark's comparisons.
I like Clark's comparisons, somewhat

Oates and Janney were NCAA guys. Amazingly, Oates went undrafted, then signed by the Wings before being shipped for Bernie Federko.

Janney was absolutely pathetic in his own end, and HATED shooting the puck, but man, could that guy dish and control the puck. He was soft as old bananas.

I think Stepan had a college career more like Brendan Morrison -- smart and hustled every shift and make his teammates around him better. Oates and Janney were ridiculous point producers at RPI and BC, respectively. Granted, it was an offensive era, but I just can't see Stepan being a No. 1 center finishing in the top-5 in scoring any year. Then again, Oates had Hull in his prime and Neely for a few seasons, so maybe he is perfect for Gaborik.

Old
09-07-2010, 12:22 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I've never seen a fanbase filled with more homers and excuses than theirs. And I thought Habs fans were hard to deal with.
And then the thread gets locked by a SJ Mod.

Meanwhile, one of their posters is now proposing:

Clowe, Couture, Murray + 1st 2011
for
Staal, Dubinsky and one of Grachev or Stepan.

They just don't get it.

Closed Thread