HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Music

Old
09-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
Kiss has been around forever, but besides 500 truck loads of crap with Kiss' logo on it, fireworks at their shows and crazy outfits & makeup, are they actually known for anything? Sure "Rock n Roll All Nite" is an iconic song, and thanks to Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure "God Gave Rock n Roll To You." "Calling Dr. Love" is another big song, but I'd be hardpressed to think of anything else. I didn't even know that "Detroit Rock City" was a hit song of theirs until I saw the movie of the same name (really fun move BTW).

Kiss is influential in their own ways. The marketing side of the business. But I've never met anyone who says that their favorite band, or even one of their top 20 favorite bands is Kiss. The ones who do say Kiss is one of or their #1 band, well those people are most likely collectors and have rooms dedicated to Kiss Lunchboxes and Kiss Toilet paper.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Kiss has been around forever, but besides 500 truck loads of crap with Kiss' logo on it, fireworks at their shows and crazy outfits & makeup, are they actually known for anything? Sure "Rock n Roll All Nite" is an iconic song, and thanks to Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure "God Gave Rock n Roll To You." "Calling Dr. Love" is another big song, but I'd be hardpressed to think of anything else. I didn't even know that "Detroit Rock City" was a hit song of theirs until I saw the movie of the same name (really fun move BTW).

Kiss is influential in their own ways. The marketing side of the business. But I've never met anyone who says that their favorite band, or even one of their top 20 favorite bands is Kiss. The ones who do say Kiss is one of or their #1 band, well those people are most likely collectors and have rooms dedicated to Kiss Lunchboxes and Kiss Toilet paper.
Although I'm not really a fan, Kiss was absolutely HUGE in their prime. That's the reason that they're still around today. Have you never seen Dazed and Confused or watched an episode of That 70's Show? There are Kiss references left and right because no movie or show can portray white kids living in the 70's who were into rock and roll without mentioning Kiss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_(band)

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 10:11 AM
IslesNorway

I grew up on Kiss and still consider myself a huge fan. I admit that they're not the best band in the world and none of their albums would even make it close to my top 10, but Kiss is iconic in every other way. A chill runs down my spine every time I listen to the "Love Gun" album and for those of us who grew up on Kiss they are larger than life.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:26 PM
VT Isles Fan

Quote:

Gene Simmons could probably teach a marketing course at the college of his choosing with all the stuff he's been able to sell with a logo on it (including Kiss coffins). Kiss is probably seen more now as a novelty act, but they were huge in the mid-to-late 70s and 80s. Destroyer is probably their best overall album, several of their biggest hits (Rock N Roll All Night, Detroit Rock City & Beth) are on it.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Bones45

STP last night at the beach was great.

Weather, as it can often play a part in the enjoyment of a show down there, was perfect.. a little windy for some, but I loved it.

I was maybe 8 ft from stage and it was killer. Scott looked and sounded healthy, but he is/was still on something.. Maybe something as simple as weed, but he didnt sound sober. He looked strong and sounded great.. He wasnt frail at all and romped around stage without any issue. The skinny H days, hopefully, are over.....

The band sounded great. However.. I think everyone still hates each other. There was no banter for the almost 2+ hours they played.. Just tunes.. some intro's by Scott on which song/album the next tune was from.

I wont go as far as saying that they arent talking or dealing with each other based upon what I saw, but I def wouldnt be surprised--- there is more love shown at a VH concert.

One thing I caught was Scott saying "this is a song off my new album".....

Ummm...*******... Its not YOUR new album...its STP's new album... and I think that might be the core of the problem ( no pun intended)..

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
Gene Simmons could probably teach a marketing course at the college of his choosing with all the stuff he's been able to sell with a logo on it (including Kiss coffins). Kiss is probably seen more now as a novelty act, but they were huge in the mid-to-late 70s and 80s. Destroyer is probably their best overall album, several of their biggest hits (Rock N Roll All Night, Detroit Rock City & Beth) are on it.
Kiss and 80's hair metal are lumped together for good reason.

none of the bands put our particularly good or ground breaking music, rather just made party driven good times stuff..

KISS just happened to market their junk better than anyone else.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 08:50 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
STP last night at the beach was great.

Weather, as it can often play a part in the enjoyment of a show down there, was perfect.. a little windy for some, but I loved it.

I was maybe 8 ft from stage and it was killer. Scott looked and sounded healthy, but he is/was still on something.. Maybe something as simple as weed, but he didnt sound sober. He looked strong and sounded great.. He wasnt frail at all and romped around stage without any issue. The skinny H days, hopefully, are over.....

The band sounded great. However.. I think everyone still hates each other. There was no banter for the almost 2+ hours they played.. Just tunes.. some intro's by Scott on which song/album the next tune was from.

I wont go as far as saying that they arent talking or dealing with each other based upon what I saw, but I def wouldnt be surprised--- there is more love shown at a VH concert.

One thing I caught was Scott saying "this is a song off my new album".....

Ummm...*******... Its not YOUR new album...its STP's new album... and I think that might be the core of the problem ( no pun intended)..
Was there as well, it was a very solid show. They played a good selection, since they had new material which was subpar comparatively to the old stuff, some songs like Creep, Sour Girl, were excluded. Was in last row of lover level.

From what I know from a guy on the Island who worked on Velvet Revolver is that Weiland when on drugs is an easier guy to get a long with, when sober he has a huge ego, he submitted lyrics for the 2nd velvet revolver album that just about ended the band.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Augscura

Just saw Augury last night for the second time. Great progressive Death metal.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Das Rancor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Not that long ago, I purchased a couple random "Battle Metal" CDs and picked up some Authentic Scottish Pirate Metal from Alestorm. Hehe. http://www.myspace.com/alestorm (Play Captain Morgan's Revenge, the chorus gets awfully catchy if you're remotely interested in that type of thing. Other than owning a CD, I'm not affiliated with the band in any way.)
Mitch
Hah, Alestorm, good fun... Though I like The Huntmaster best, I mean "with the power of ale he could not fail!". Full of win.

And you could count it to my favourite genre: folk/pagan metal! I sincerely recommend bands like Eluveitie, Equilibrium, Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani, Turisas and Finntroll. Especially Moonsorrow and Eluveitie.

Then there's Haggard with its combination of baroque classic and (black) metal, not their last album though... At least I didn't like it... Gogol Bordello's latest is superb... Airbourne's first..

Das Rancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 10:32 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Rancor View Post
Hah, Alestorm, good fun... Though I like The Huntmaster best, I mean "with the power of ale he could not fail!". Full of win.

And you could count it to my favourite genre: folk/pagan metal! I sincerely recommend bands like Eluveitie, Equilibrium, Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani, Turisas and Finntroll. Especially Moonsorrow and Eluveitie.

Then there's Haggard with its combination of baroque classic and (black) metal, not their last album though... At least I didn't like it... Gogol Bordello's latest is superb... Airbourne's first..
Yup, that's a great line. Thanks for mentioning the other bands (and to everyone else for pointing out a few/making comments; I'll be looking up this thread for quite some time.) I bought Battle Metal by Turisas, randomly, when I bought the Alestorm album.

After playing out the Alestorm album for a while, I've been going back to the Wintersun album more often than not from that batch.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 01:08 AM
IslesNorway

Alestorm's a fun band - they're like Running Wild's rowdy little brother

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Isles Junkie

Weezers new album "Hurley" was leaked.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Weezers new album "Hurley" was leaked.
And if it's anything like the last two, it'll make me want to "Hurley" all over the place!

Old
09-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
And if it's anything like the last two, it'll make me want to "Hurley" all over the place!
The Red Album was a good album. Not their best, but good non the less. Raditude was what it was, I don't think it should have been taken seriously.

Anyway, Hurley is awesome. Not as good as the Blue Album or Pinkerton, but it's right on par, maybe even better, than Maladroit (which I enjoyed a lot).

Mikey Radz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Radz View Post
The Red Album was a good album. Not their best, but good non the less. Raditude was what it was, I don't think it should have been taken seriously.

Anyway, Hurley is awesome. Not as good as the Blue Album or Pinkerton, but it's right on par, maybe even better, than Maladroit (which I enjoyed a lot).
At this point, I have a hard time taking the band seriously. Ever since Maladroit, Rivers has been mailing it in with the same formulaic, lowest common denominator pop song structure on every song. Make Believe was barely passable and the two after that were pretty terrible IMO.

If I get around to it I'll give it a listen, but it's definitely not on my priority list. It's a shame too because I think those first four albums are really quite good.

Old
09-07-2010, 05:52 PM
blackmesa

Mostly Metal and Hardrock for me. Fear Factory, Disturbed, Slipknot, Stone Sour, Sevendust, Killswitch, etc.... I can put up with any amount of screaming as long as there is some melody involved.

To all you Epica fans, what is their stuff like? There doing a show near my school soon and I dont know if I should check it out or not. I mean as far as Im concerned anyone that covers Replica with a female singer is A-ok in my book, didnt know if I would like the rest of their stuff though.

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
At this point, I have a hard time taking the band seriously. Ever since Maladroit, Rivers has been mailing it in with the same formulaic, lowest common denominator pop song structure on every song. Make Believe was barely passable and the two after that were pretty terrible IMO.

If I get around to it I'll give it a listen, but it's definitely not on my priority list. It's a shame too because I think those first four albums are really quite good.
Their first four albums were great. It's a shame that the Green Album and Maladroit never get the credit they get deserve, because both of them are very good albums. Make Believe and Raditude was two of their worst. I enjoyed the Red Album. I think Hurley is the best thing they have put out since Maladroit. Give it a few spins, I think you will be surprised.

Old
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Augscura

Any Opeth fans out there? I'm listening to the Blackwater Park album right now. This band has stuck with me for years now. They are just so good.

Old
09-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Every time I hear Weezer, I think it's the Smithereens doing Dead Milkmen covers.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Mikey Radz

Bumped because I heard the new Matt and Kim single today, and it ruled.

Old
09-16-2010, 03:39 PM
MTK

Just went to this show at ABC No Rio and it was EPIC. Under 80 people at the show. They played a sick show in BK on Sunday too. This weekend I am seeing Street Dogs and Pavement

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:03 AM
vivianmb

the alestrom stuff is cool. never heard of it be4. kind like old Savatage with a pirate theme.

me i'm into deep purple/uriah heep/ufo/old scorpions(in the '70s) .

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
Just went to this show at ABC No Rio and it was EPIC. Under 80 people at the show. They played a sick show in BK on Sunday too. This weekend I am seeing Street Dogs and Pavement

Good to know that ABC No Rio is still around. I haven't been there in years!

Old
09-19-2010, 09:15 AM
MTK

Quote:
Good to know that ABC No Rio is still around. I haven't been there in years!
Yes but they are raising money to rebuild it. They are going to knock it down since at the end of the year, it is a big mess but the city has given them money and they are close to the $5 million they need to do it.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
the alestrom stuff is cool. never heard of it be4. kind like old Savatage with a pirate theme.

me i'm into deep purple/uriah heep/ufo/old scorpions(in the '70s) .
Yeah Alestorm is neat. Verbal Deception is a similar band with the pirate theme. You should check them out.