HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Player replacement via prospects

Old
09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Player replacement via prospects

Obviously a teams goal in the NHL is to develop young players that can grow with a team and be successfull. When a young guy comes in and proves he can replace a veteran after time and also is younger and smaller salary, the team can then move the vet to get a high draft pick and start the cycle again. I love the prospects side of NHL hockey!

So my question is,

Based on the way our prospects play and the way our current roster predators play, which prospects would replace which veterans over time?

Not saying they would necessarily (I mean if we got another Weber through the system we would definitely not be trading Shea! lol), I just mean which prospects are in the mold to take current predators spots in time??

I thought of a few,

Jerred Smithson - Nick Spaling

Ryan Suter - Jon Blum

Martin Erat - Blake Geoffrion

Steve Sullivan - Michael Latta

Pekka Rinne - Chet Pickard (I didnt say Lindback because I think Pickard gets shot first)

Patric Hornqvist - Taylor Beck

Colin Wilson - Austin Watson

Thoughts??

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Obviously a teams goal in the NHL is to develop young players that can grow with a team and be successfull. When a young guy comes in and proves he can replace a veteran after time and also is younger and smaller salary, the team can then move the vet to get a high draft pick and start the cycle again. I love the prospects side of NHL hockey!

So my question is,

Based on the way our prospects play and the way our current roster predators play, which prospects would replace which veterans over time?

Not saying they would necessarily (I mean if we got another Weber through the system we would definitely not be trading Shea! lol), I just mean which prospects are in the mold to take current predators spots in time??

I thought of a few,

Jerred Smithson - Nick Spaling

Ryan Suter - Jon Blum

Martin Erat - Blake Geoffrion

Steve Sullivan - Michael Latta

Pekka Rinne - Chet Pickard (I didnt say Lindback because I think Pickard gets shot first)

Patric Hornqvist - Taylor Beck

Thoughts??
Thanks for a good chuckle.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Predsrule

See i said we drafted Watson to replace Colin Wilson!
And ppl said I was CrAzY!!!

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

Ryan Suter - Jon Blum

Thoughts??
Most of them are good, but I severely disagree with both of these. Blum is defiently an offensive D man, while Suter is fairly balanced. Blum and Josi both have a very good chance to be Kimmo Timonen-ish (I know, not a current pred). I just dont think Blum is a Suter at all....

I hope Pickard will be as good as Rinne, but even if he is, he will be nothing like him in style. There is a huge difference in 6'2 and 6'5 for a goalie. He will be quicker, but obviously not as massive. Lindbeck is truly the next Rinne.

I can't see a whole lot of current pred comparisons, but i can really compare some people with former preds/ other NHLers.

Josi/Blum - Kimmo Timonen

Rask (the younger one) - Scott Nichol

Ryan Ellis - Brian Rafalski

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Rask (the younger one) - Scott Nichol

Ryan Ellis - Brian Rafalski
agree with both in theory..but think they both will have more offensive skills than the older versions. i really like rask and while he is tenacious like nichol..i think he has a lot more skill. and i think ellis will average a few more goals than rafalski. ellis could be a 60-70 point defensman if he has the right team with him...come to think of it, maybe not.. i dont know, but i really like ellis. think he wil be a captain of a team someday

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 10:29 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Jerred Smithson - Nick Spaling nick has more skill, but could be the replacement..yes

Ryan Suter - Jon Blum agree with go preds. not sure we have suter replacement in system

Martin Erat - Blake Geoffrion possibility, but tough to think of that way. he could be the replacement, but they are different players

Steve Sullivan - Michael Latta isnt one a center?

Pekka Rinne - Chet Pickard (I didnt say Lindback because I think Pickard gets shot first) this one is only one so far that is a huge possibility

Patric Hornqvist - Taylor Beck i hope we dont have to get rid of young players that early

Colin Wilson - Austin Watson same as above..beck and watson hopefully will be playing with wilson and hornqvist

Thoughts??
as far as will these kids take the veterans salaries when it is time...possibly. but i think that if you are comparing those prospects with the veterans as far as replaceing their style of play..i dont think so..but i could be wrong

are starting threads for you like smoking cigarettes for me? i need one every hour resist the urge

Old
09-06-2010, 10:47 PM
predfan24

Quote:

Thoughts??

Austin Watson is currently preparing for when Colin Wilson retires at 35 so he can take his place when he is 33. Sources tell me he is training very hard and can't wait for this opportunity.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:06 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I would suspect that you cant really tab someone as someone elses replacement until they are almost ready to move up. So in your scenario the only one i think is spot on is Spaling replacing Smithson.

Geoffrion is likey going to replace Ward not Erat who will be with us another few years.

and goalies are obviously picked to replace other goalies so thats sorta moot.

I dont think any of our current defenseman prospects are intended to replace Suter or Weber. Maybe our first round pick in 2017 will be an eventual replacement for one of them but I think its is more likely that Poile is slotting all the d-prospects for the next 10 years to be a rotating pool of 3-7's who will be traded or allowed to leave when they become too expensive for us (like Hamhuis).

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Austin Watson is currently preparing for when Colin Wilson retires at 35 so he can take his place when he is 33. Sources tell me he is training very hard and can't wait for this opportunity.
I put in my original thread "not necessarily to replace but in the same mold" if you had of read it more carefully. I even said about Weber that if we got his replacement, we sure as heck would not be getting rid of Shea! Obviously we are not replacing 20 year old Wilson with 18 year old Watson! same with Horny!

I was just saying which players will follow same path in a sense and have same potential, game style, size, position, etc.

I personally think that Pickard will be better than Rinne as well.

Also,

Does anybody have a comparison for Austin Watson outside of Wilson? Even a player on another team??

How about,

Roussel
Cehlin
Beck

Old
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Don't worry; you still are.

If y'all are that eager to drop Colin Wilson just as he'll be getting good, we'll happily take him over here. It'd be nice to have extra top-6 center depth.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
I put in my original thread "not necessarily to replace but in the same mold" if you had of read it more carefully. I even said about Weber that if we got his replacement, we sure as heck would not be getting rid of Shea! Obviously we are not replacing 20 year old Wilson with 18 year old Watson! same with Horny!

I was just saying which players will follow same path in a sense and have same potential, game style, size, position, etc.

I personally think that Pickard will be better than Rinne as well.

Also,

Does anybody have a comparison for Austin Watson outside of Wilson? Even a player on another team??

How about,

Roussel
Cehlin
Beck
Watson - slower better Legwand (2-way game w/ offense)

Roussel - Weber-lite (bigger, good all-around with a good shot_

Cehlin - Erat (slick offensive minded game)

Beck - Dumont ( decent size but cant use it, no speed, but still puts up quite a few points)

Thats the best I could do with the Preds players and comparisons.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Don't worry; you still are.

If y'all are that eager to drop Colin Wilson just as he'll be getting good, we'll happily take him over here. It'd be nice to have extra top-6 center depth.
Um......no.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Um......no.
Awww, c'mon! Do it for a friend?

Anyways. The whole suggestion is crazy because some of those players - particularly Hornqvist, Wilson, and Suter - are expected to be long-term core. The only folks listed there who even need possible replacement in the near future would be Suillivan, Smithson, and very possibly Erat (although i doubt it). Rinne might get shipped off as well, but that's only because of the Marianas Trench-level depth y'all have in goal.

I know folks have gotten used to bargain hunting early, but (in those first two cases at least) right after the first RFA contract is a tad extreme.

Old
09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The only players I'm looking to replace are Sully, Ward, Smithson, and Goc. Oh and Belak.

Sully-----> Radulov

Ward------> Geoffrion or one of the 8 billion forwards in Milwaukee

Goc-------> Spaling

Smithson-------> Possibly Andersson if not, Thuresson.

Old
09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
The only players I'm looking to replace are Sully, Ward, Smithson, and Goc. Oh and Belak.

Sully-----> Radulov

Goc-------> Spaling

I would think that Goc and Ward would be able to stick around, but then again, they are in that nebulous second-tier realm of "we like you, but we can do better".

Old
09-07-2010, 03:13 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:

Sully-----> Radulov

Goc-------> Spaling

sully is getting older, so i expect him gone in next couple years at least
smithson will also be replaced..but the thing about all of them is, if no one else is willing to pay top dollar for them, why not keep em. goc is making less than tootoo and also would be making less than spaling. and ward is only making 1.5 mil. a pretty nice contract for both those guys if you ask me. i understand that these kids need a shot, but if they arent showing much in those shots, why get rid of someone who is getting the job done for less. hopes and dreams that they will be a third line gretzky? and its not like these guys are going to break the bank.

sully/dumont and one of ward/goc will be gone soon enough...unless these guys dont hear from anyone else and they got to work right? they may play for league minimum. what are you going to do? take a veteran at league minimum for our 3rd and 4th lines, or put a rookie making more money that probably shouldnt be wasted on the bottom lines?

man i wouldnt want to be a gm..i understand you need to keep the farms flowing, and the process of youth moving along..but you know what you are going to get with ward and goc, and you have NO idea what geoffrion will do. (you are hoping for something good, but that doesnt always work out when they hit the bigs). tough tough job those gm's have

Old
09-07-2010, 03:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
man i wouldnt want to be a gm..i understand you need to keep the farms flowing, and the process of youth moving along..but you know what you are going to get with ward and goc, and you have NO idea what geoffrion will do. (you are hoping for something good, but that doesnt always work out when they hit the bigs). tough tough job those gm's have
It's all a matter of talent evaluation, time, and money. If you got a player who can give you more than what you got you go for it. Money will sort itself out. I love Ward but if you got a player who can give more than what Ward does for cheaper price. Ward is gone. The problem with roster depth and prospects is that they have to fight through the depth to get a spot. I think the depth the Preds have now is Poile buying players in bulk while they are cheap in this weird market and keeping cheap players and weening them off as they become UFAs. I also expect Nashville to possibly signing more players and sending out invites. If Spaling can produce more than Goc and the trade deadline comes up, Poile will trade Goc for a low pick. Same with Smithson.

I expect of the players who are UFAs the priority will be: Ward, Goc, Belak, Smithson, Sully, Johnson. If Geoffrion or Halischuk is ready it's a negotiation ploy for Nashville. If Radulov is coming back Nashville can negotiate with Sully. Johnson is simply screwed with Ellis, Blum, Josi in the mix.

Nashville should not pay 3rd liners for a 4th line spot. But they can't stunt their development of prospects.

Old
09-07-2010, 03:35 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
It's all a matter of talent evaluation, time, and money. If you got a player who can give you more than what you got you go for it. Money will sort itself out. I love Ward but if you got a player who can give more than what Ward does for cheaper price. Ward is gone. The problem with roster depth and prospects is that they have to fight through the depth to get a spot. I think the depth the Preds have now is Poile buying players in bulk while they are cheap in this weird market and keeping cheap players and weening them off as they become UFAs. I also expect Nashville to possibly signing more players and sending out invites. If Spaling can produce more than Goc and the trade deadline comes up, Poile will trade Goc for a low pick. Same with Smithson.

I expect of the players who are UFAs the priority will be: Ward, Goc, Belak, Smithson, Sully, Johnson. If Geoffrion or Halischuk is ready it's a negotiation ploy for Nashville. If Radulov is coming back Nashville can negotiate with Sully. Johnson is simply screwed with Ellis, Blum, Josi in the mix.

Nashville should not pay 3rd liners for a 4th line spot. But they can't stunt their development of prospects.
i agree, but the question is..how much is producing more. spaling i think will make more than goc, and if spaling produces 5 more points this year, is that enough to justify letting goc go? depends on the rest of the game i guess. i think goc' experience and defensive side negate those points, as well as goc' cheaper salary.

having too much depth is a tricky thing. just want the season to start already

Old
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
having too much depth is a tricky thing. just want the season to start already
Don't we all?

Old
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
lightning_legwand*

What about past predators that we miss?

Do we have a replacement for,

Hartnell? possibly Beck?

Hamhuis?

Zidlicky?

Forsberg?

Also,

What do you guys think as Bouillon as a replacement for Boughner??

Old
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
kivaerijo

forsberg wasnt around long enough to feel the need to replace imo

Old
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
forsberg wasnt around long enough to feel the need to replace imo
True, but if we had a guy with that kind of potential who would it be?

Great grit, superior scoring touch, and not afraid of corners.

Forsberg could have been the best in the NHL in his prime.

Old
09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
True, but if we had a guy with that kind of potential who would it be?

Great grit, superior scoring touch, and not afraid of corners.

Forsberg could have been the best in the NHL in his prime.
if is the operative word. WE DONT have a guy with that much potential. forseberg was one of the best. not sure i can think of anyone in the league right now that is comparable to peter. but while we are at it. who do we have that could be our next gretzky? NO ONE