HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #5

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Clarke is behind Hull and Dionne at all-time #16s:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=rss-kreiser
Wow.

I don't even like Clarke and I'm pissed about that.

Old
09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Wow.

I don't even like Clarke and I'm pissed about that.
I equated Clarke being "in the mix" with someone saying Natalie Wood had "pleasant features."

Old
09-04-2010, 01:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
How many other 3-time MVP's came in 3rd on that list?

Old
09-04-2010, 01:43 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
I equated Clarke being "in the mix" with someone saying Natalie Wood had "pleasant features."

Nice work dating yourself with that reference!

Old
09-04-2010, 02:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
How many other 3-time MVP's came in 3rd on that list?
Eddie Shore was a 4-time winner and was listed among the "mix" for #2. He's the only other I saw upon a quick glance.

Old
09-04-2010, 04:10 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Natalie Wood?
Showing your age a little there, huh?

Classic beauty but I wonder how many on this site know who she is?

Old
09-04-2010, 04:13 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Natalie Wood?
Showing your age a little there, huh?

Classic beauty but I wonder how many on this site know who she is?
I figured I was safer with a "timeless" reference as opposed to someone contemporary.

Old
09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I don't think Arnott or Brodeur are big pluses. both of them are pretty far up there in age. Brodeur looked flat-out unimpressive last year despite his Jennings win and Arnott has had decreasing point totals the last three years and, if you look at his career, he always misses around 20 games, give or take about 10 and he's never PPG. So, Arnott is a decent secondary scorer, but not someone that's going to push you over the top into a contender.

I think they have a better backup this year, but I'm not scared of facing Brodeur at all anymore. I don't even think he's top five anymore.

They replaced Martin with Volchenkov and Tallinder. That makes their depth a bit better, but they don't have a number one d-man and they don't have any really talented offensive d-men. If they move Salvador to clear room for Kovalchuk then they replaced Martin and Salvador with Volchenkov and Tallinder. That's a down-grade.

We have to wait and see how Kovalchuk plays. During his NHL career he's never had to share the spotlight or buy into a system that made him rely on his teammates. I'm just interested if he's going to continue to be the one-dimensional player that he is and try to be the "Kovalchuk show" every time he's on the ice like last playoffs.

I think they're going to be regular season dynamos, per the usual, but I don't think they're contenders. They might actually get out of the first round this time, but they won't win anything I think.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have a core that could win them a championship down the road with this Kovalchuk signing, but I think they're quickly becoming the most overrated team for next year.

I mean, they're legendary starter is about to turn 39 and looked unimpressive last year. Couple that with the facts that they don't have a true number one d-man or a true number one center and I don't think they're an impressive team. The only things they have going for them are fantastic LW depth (what team tries to win by building through the wing?), a good farm system, and a good reputation.
You did acknowledged improvement with Arnott and Kovalchuk at forward, Volchenkov and Tallinder on D and a much better backup this year. Right?

Old
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
You did acknowledged improvement with Arnott and Kovalchuk at forward, Volchenkov and Tallinder on D and a much better backup this year. Right?
Paul Martin is a BIG loss for that Devs team... they have no one from the backend that will inspire any fear. They really needed to keep Martin and ADD a Volchenkov to the mix.

They also need to make a deal or two just to get under the cap at this point, so it'll be interesting to see how that team shapes up.

Old
09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Some insight here, from a Devils fan.

Devils still have their top line intact (more or less, we'll likely see some line shuffling). I understand Langenbrunner is getting older, but he just keeps producing. A 60-point pace should be expected.

Arnott gives us some center depth, and allows Elias to play wing. He adds a tremendous amount of balance. He adds to the team not by being a sole body, but being a good cog in our top6.

Elias is healthy this season. He had 2 surgeries (one minor) last summer. So this year he has the whole summer to workout. Kovalchuk will have all of the training camp + regular season to fit in, as opposed to 17 games.

Volchenkov gives us some meanness, which we lacked. Philly just ate up our defense, and you hope a guy like Volchenkov can cut down on that. Tallinder is of a similar caliber as White / Salvador. Its a parallel signing (except he is here to mentor our young Swedish prospects). I'd like to keep Salvador, because he's the toughest of the 3, but he's also the more tradeable guy.

What I think the team hopes, is that Andy Greene maintains or improves upon his early production from last year (hence no signing a PMD or trading for Kaberle). We MIGHT have a cheap homegrown talent. He scored 37 points last year, but wound down at the end. With a full season under his belt, for the first time, and knowing what to expect... I think 40 points is quite attainable. And if he improves? Maybe 45-50. Lets not pretend that Greene is anything other than an Offensive Dman. But he can replace Martin's production.

As for Brodeur aging... I'll admit I don't know if he has another playoff run in him. He was NOT bad against Philly. He gave up, IMO, one bad goal (also at a horrible time)... I believe it was game 4... and it was Carcillo's goal (i think it was a wrap around). The timing of that goal (in the game / series) was not good. But otherwise he battled and kept the team in the series.

Hedberg should definitely help. But I don't think its a matter of Brodeur, as the team really sucked it up in front of him the past 2 POs. Against the Rangers? yea, he was garbage. But this past year, for example, Philly just ate up our team. I can't blame Brodeur or Kovalchuk. Everyone else seemed out to lunch. This year's playoffs showed us that, you don't necessarily need stellar goaltending to go far in the playoffs. So even if Brodeur's play drops off a bit, we now have the guns and balance to more damage. Hopefully we just have more heart + endurance.

All in all, I think our fortunes rest on a healthy Volchenkov and a productive Andy Greene. Additionally, we better not lose Zajac for any reason because then our center depth is shot.

Old
09-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
Some insight here, from a Devils fan.

Devils still have their top line intact (more or less, we'll likely see some line shuffling). I understand Langenbrunner is getting older, but he just keeps producing. A 60-point pace should be expected.

Arnott gives us some center depth, and allows Elias to play wing. He adds a tremendous amount of balance. He adds to the team not by being a sole body, but being a good cog in our top6.

Elias is healthy this season. He had 2 surgeries (one minor) last summer. So this year he has the whole summer to workout. Kovalchuk will have all of the training camp + regular season to fit in, as opposed to 17 games.

Volchenkov gives us some meanness, which we lacked. Philly just ate up our defense, and you hope a guy like Volchenkov can cut down on that. Tallinder is of a similar caliber as White / Salvador. Its a parallel signing (except he is here to mentor our young Swedish prospects). I'd like to keep Salvador, because he's the toughest of the 3, but he's also the more tradeable guy.

What I think the team hopes, is that Andy Greene maintains or improves upon his early production from last year (hence no signing a PMD or trading for Kaberle). We MIGHT have a cheap homegrown talent. He scored 37 points last year, but wound down at the end. With a full season under his belt, for the first time, and knowing what to expect... I think 40 points is quite attainable. And if he improves? Maybe 45-50. Lets not pretend that Greene is anything other than an Offensive Dman. But he can replace Martin's production.

As for Brodeur aging... I'll admit I don't know if he has another playoff run in him. He was NOT bad against Philly. He gave up, IMO, one bad goal (also at a horrible time)... I believe it was game 4... and it was Carcillo's goal (i think it was a wrap around). The timing of that goal (in the game / series) was not good. But otherwise he battled and kept the team in the series.

Hedberg should definitely help. But I don't think its a matter of Brodeur, as the team really sucked it up in front of him the past 2 POs. Against the Rangers? yea, he was garbage. But this past year, for example, Philly just ate up our team. I can't blame Brodeur or Kovalchuk. Everyone else seemed out to lunch. This year's playoffs showed us that, you don't necessarily need stellar goaltending to go far in the playoffs. So even if Brodeur's play drops off a bit, we now have the guns and balance to more damage. Hopefully we just have more heart + endurance.

All in all, I think our fortunes rest on a healthy Volchenkov and a productive Andy Greene. Additionally, we better not lose Zajac for any reason because then our center depth is shot.
do you think kovy will learn to fit into the offense there?

Old
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Paul Martin is a BIG loss for that Devs team... they have no one from the backend that will inspire any fear. They really needed to keep Martin and ADD a Volchenkov to the mix.

They also need to make a deal or two just to get under the cap at this point, so it'll be interesting to see how that team shapes up.
They did not have Martin all season long last year. It will take some time to adjust but Devils always lost key players on D and somehow adjust. Andy Greene was able to step up and produce. From what I remember Arnott was used on PP a lot, Kovy can also play point and so can Rolston. Not perfect but Devils have options.

of course Devils will lose someone. I think it will be Langenbrunner and/or Salvador.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He was a PPG player in regular season. What do you think?

Anyway, Kovy will need to learn how to pass. He is no longer one man show like he was in Atlanta.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

@Mr Bojanglez : I guess you wanted to quote Garbage Goal but quoted me for whatever reason.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
They did not have Martin all season long last year. It will take some time to adjust but Devils always lost key players on D and somehow adjust. Andy Greene was able to step up and produce. From what I remember Arnott was used on PP a lot, Kovy can also play point and so can Rolston. Not perfect but Devils have options.

of course Devils will lose someone. I think it will be Langenbrunner and/or Salvador.

Anyway, Kovy will need to learn how to pass. He is no longer one man show like he was in Atlanta.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

@Mr Bojanglez : I guess you wanted to quote Garbage Goal but quoted me for whatever reason.

i didn't see kovy in the regular season with the devils, i only saw the playoffs, and he seemed to be more of a hindrance than a help, because of that one man show.

i guess what i really want to know is, can kovy change his playing style?

Old
09-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Kaktus*

like I mentioned before, Ilya will have to use his linemates a little more, now that he is no longer a one man show. I do not know what else add.

No need to 'change' his style, improve his style.

Old
09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Jester

Quote:

Well, Rolston is a huge problem for the Devs at this point... ideally, he's who they trade to get under the cap.

The Devs were not a dangerous team last year... as we showed when we got 'em in the playoffs (with Martin around). I think they're going to have big time problems getting the puck up from their D to the forwards efficiently.

I'm sure they will be a good regular season team, but they aren't winning a Cup with that current group, and are quite beatable with an aggressive forecheck that puts pressure on the D and forces 'em to make quick decisions with the puck.

Quote:

Kovy was a mess on the Devs. He's going to get his, but he needs to learn how to play both sides of the puck and conform to a team game. While he wasn't the only problem the Devs had against us in the playoffs, his one-man rush efforts played right into our hands.

Old
09-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Well, Rolston is a huge problem for the Devs at this point... ideally, he's who they trade to get under the cap.
No one will take his contract for sure.

Quote:
The Devs were not a dangerous team last year... as we showed when we got 'em in the playoffs (with Martin around). I think they're going to have big time problems getting the puck up from their D to the forwards efficiently.
They were dangerous enough to be top 3 team in the East. Just because we had no problems playing them does not mean they did not school Pittsburgh as well as other good teams a number of times.

Quote:
I'm sure they will be a good regular season team, but they aren't winning a Cup with that current group, and are quite beatable with an aggressive forecheck that puts pressure on the D and forces 'em to make quick decisions with the puck.
First of all, every team is beatable with an aggressive forecheck and 2nd, any team can do a lot of demage in playoffs. Sometimes it's all about matching. On paper, Devils could beat anyone but us in 1st round. Right?

Quote:
Kovy was a mess on the Devs. He's going to get his, but he needs to learn how to play both sides of the puck and conform to a team game. While he wasn't the only problem the Devs had against us in the playoffs, his one-man rush efforts played right into our hands.
One man rush against Pronger or Timonen won't work for the next 3 years for sure. Kovy did not look bad in playoffs, he tried. However, the rest of NJ Devils team looked like poop. Where was Elias, Parise (I thougth he played below his level), Langenbrunner was MIA big time, Rolston was kind of average not to mention coaching was iffy.

Marty played well giving up one bad goal against Carcillo. I donot think he was the problem.

I am just not happy that Flyers will have Leighton like golatedning against Parise & Kovalchuk like players for the next 10 years, while Pronger and Timonen are not getting any younger.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-07-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old
09-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
No one will take his contract for sure.
Well, someone probably would... but along with the Devs paying in some blood along with him.

Quote:
They were dangerous enough to be top 3 team in the East. Just because we had no problems playing them does not mean they did not school Pittsburgh a number of times.
Being dangerous in the regular season is a far cry from being dangerous in the playoffs... as a Flyer fan, you should be well aware of this by now. We've had a lot of "dangerous" teams with high seeds that got put our of their misery relatively quickly.

Devs have had consistent problems in the playoffs since the lockout... it isn't an accident.

Quote:
First of all, every team is beatable with an aggressive forecheck and 2nd, any team can do a lot of demage in playoffs. Sometimes it's all about matching. On paper, Devils could beat anyone but us in 1st round. Right?
Not every team is beatable relying on an aggressive forecheck. If you're too aggressive against a steady puck moving group you're going to get burned with your forecheckers caught in deep and odd-man rushes going the other way. That's why puck moving D are so valuable... they back off the forecheck, and if it doesn't back off, they spring you on rushes.

And, no, I don't agree that the Devs could beat anyone but us in the 1st round... they might have faired better against other teams, but our seeding was a mirage as we were better than where we finished due to that absurdly poor stretch that led to the Stevens firing.

Quote:
One man rush against Pronger or Timonen won't work for the next 3 years for sure. Kovy did not look bad in playoffs, he tried. However, the rest of NJ Devils team looked like poop. Where was Elias, Parise (I thougth he played below his level), Langenbrunner was MIA big time, Rolston was kind of average not to mention coaching was iffy.

Marty played well giving up one bad goal against Carcillo.

I am not happy that Flyers will have Leighton like golatedning against Parise Kovalchuk like players for the next 10 years, while Pronger and Timonen are not getting any younger.
Yes, because it's difficult to play with a player like Kovy... guys end up standing around watching a lot.

Also, saying the Devs aren't particularly great isn't suggesting that the Flyers don't have their own problems. I think we should finish ahead of the Devs in the standings, but don't like our prospects come playoff time if we get a real offense throwing darts at our goaltending either.

However, we have the skaters to dominate play against most teams in the league right now, IMO.

Old
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
absolutely. Its just about getting chemistry. I don't like the way Lemaire utilized him... and I feel the team, at times, felt forced to pass him the puck. It won't matter now... there is no more "new" feeling. They can just play comfortable hockey now

Quote:

I knew I was quoting you... as you would have been likely to agree with some of my points. I forgot to add a "Not singling out Kaktus... this just got me thinking" - i was expanding on your points, more so.

But yes, he'll need to learn to pass. I'm not too worried about that, as he'll have other teamates that are competent with the puck. And if he doesn't learn to pass? Then fine, put him on his own line.... then you get 3 scoring lines out of it. That's what some of us want. We're banking on a rookie being our 3rd center. He's a heady, well rounded player. So you figure he'll just pass to Kovy... and you put Clarkson on the RW... he'll just clear space.

My hope is that, with some seasoning and growing pains, Kovalchuk can be a Hossa-like player. I really want to see that 2-way play come out. I don't think its impossible of him, just never asked before. He's got the talent and skill. He does backcheck. Now he has some good coaches that can hopefully help with that.

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 09-07-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old
09-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
absolutely. Its just about getting chemistry. I don't like the way Lemaire utilized him... and I feel the team, at times, felt forced to pass him the puck. It won't matter now... there is no more "new" feeling. They can just play comfortable hockey now
That wasn't "new" feeling. That was 8 years of acquired NHL development for Kovy in Atlanta. Teaching Kovy to go from what he was doing in Atlanta to the program in NJ is, quite literally, teaching an old dog new tricks.

Kovy is certainly capable of playing that style, but whether he does is a whole other ball of wax. Tough to go from a "give me the puck!" freelance game to what you want him to be doing in NJ in short order... you're also talking about a different type of player that comes out the other side.

Frankly, Kovy probably needs to sacrifice going for some goals/points to become a better player.

Quote:
My hope is that, with some seasoning and growing pains, Kovalchuk can be a Hossa-like player. I really want to see that 2-way play come out. I don't think its impossible of him, just never asked before. He's got the talent and skill. He does backcheck. Now he has some good coaches that can hopefully help with that.
He's never going to be a Hossa-like player. Hossa has been an exceptional defensive player pretty much his entire career... and defense is all about effort and wanting to be there doing it. Kovy, Ovechkin, etc. are never going to be that type of player, just clearly isn't in their genetics.

Old
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That wasn't "new" feeling. That was 8 years of acquired NHL development for Kovy in Atlanta. Teaching Kovy to go from what he was doing in Atlanta to the program in NJ is, quite literally, teaching an old dog new tricks.

Kovy is certainly capable of playing that style, but whether he does is a whole other ball of wax. Tough to go from a "give me the puck!" freelance game to what you want him to be doing in NJ in short order... you're also talking about a different type of player that comes out the other side.

Frankly, Kovy probably needs to sacrifice going for some goals/points to become a better player.

He's never going to be a Hossa-like player. Hossa has been an exceptional defensive player pretty much his entire career... and defense is all about effort and wanting to be there doing it. Kovy, Ovechkin, etc. are never going to be that type of player, just clearly isn't in their genetics.
You missed the part, the ENTIRE part where i spoke about the rest of the team. They were forcing him passes... at bad times. Langenbrunner was a big blame, as was the coach. He was used WAY too much. That was irrelevant of Kovalchuk.

And sure, Kovalchuk is a goal scorer. He's often put up 40 or more assists (4 of those 8 seasons)... to account for approximately half his point total. Sure, 8 seasons. Old Dog? He's 27. He's got time to learn... and his offensive game can take a step back, now, because there is a better balanced team that can succeed with or without him.

And when i said Hossa-like... I never thought he'd be at that level. But it certainly is in his genetics, just maybe not in his head. He's got the speed, strength and will to do it (i've seen him backcheck a lot, while on NJ). Its a question if he can put it together in his head. He no longer needs to be the one-man show. He's on a balanced team, and maybe we'll see a different side of him develop. Will he ever be Selke worthy? No, of course not. But I think his defensive game can improve.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see, but I think you're being a little negative on his ability to improve one aspect of his game.

Old
09-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
You missed the part, the ENTIRE part where i spoke about the rest of the team. They were forcing him passes... at bad times. Langenbrunner was a big blame, as was the coach. He was used WAY too much.

And sure, Kovalchuk is a goal scorer. He's often put up 40 or more assists (4 of those 8 seasons)... to account for approximately half his point total.
Well, his assist total is helped a lot by his PP point work... he has more PP assists than goals. And alpha dogs that demand the puck... get bad passes forced to 'em, par for the course. You're saying this like he isn't barking for the puck in a lot of those cases.

Players that play like Kovalchuk... can disrupt the team unless they themselves adapt to the whole team concept. The problem with Kovalchuk is that as a young player he was in such a **** organization, that he's never really been forced to adapt to playing at this level as a team player...

Quote:
And when i said Hossa-like... I never thought he'd be at that level. But it certainly is in his genetics, just maybe not in his head. He's got the speed, strength and will to do it (i've seen him backcheck a lot, while on NJ). Its a question if he can put it together in his head. He no longer needs to be the one-man show. He's on a balanced team, and maybe we'll see a different side of him develop. Will he ever be Selke worthy? No, of course not. But I think his defensive game can improve.
Understatement of the year, there.

At best you're going to be looking for a Brett Hull in Dallas type shift where he, ya know, actually shows up and does his job... as opposed to just hanging and waiting for the puck (which he's been notorious for his entire career).

Old
09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Well, someone probably would... but along with the Devs paying in some blood along with him.
No one will take him but anyway, who cares? I do not.
Quote:
Being dangerous in the regular season is a far cry from being dangerous in the playoffs... as a Flyer fan, you should be well aware of this by now. We've had a lot of "dangerous" teams with high seeds that got put our of their misery relatively quickly.
I am aware. I am also aware that Devils were our best playoff match if we had to chose between Devils, Pittsburgh or Washington I would go with Devils even know I would love to beat Pens in playoff and send them packing. No idea why Devils won that last game.
Quote:
Not every team is beatable relying on an aggressive forecheck. If you're too aggressive against a steady puck moving group you're going to get burned with your forecheckers caught in deep and odd-man rushes going the other way.
Fine, if you are a good aggressive forechecking team you have a very good chance to win against any team.
Quote:
That's why puck moving D are so valuable... they back off the forecheck, and if it doesn't back off, they spring you on rushes.
It is but Devils can adjust. Losing Martin is big but not as big as losing Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski. They can adjust and they will adjust.
Quote:
And, no, I don't agree that the Devs could beat anyone but us in the 1st round... they might have faired better against other teams, but our seeding was a mirage as we were better than where we finished due to that absurdly poor stretch that led to the Stevens firing.
Name me a team Devils would not be able to beat on paper (with exception of Flyers). We were their worst nightmare, no question about it.
Quote:
Yes, because it's difficult to play with a player like Kovy... guys end up standing around watching a lot.
Again, thatís not really what happen. You think players were watching Kovy and thats why they lost games? NJ Devils players I mentioned (Parise, Elias, Rolston, especially Langenbrunner,) were not pulling their weight against the Flyers in playoffs. If anything Kovy was one of their best players. Him and Zubrus.

Itís not really difficult to play with players like Kovy just like itís not really difficult to play with players like Carter. It is easy to lose games with no support.
Quote:
However, we have the skaters to dominate play against most teams in the league right now, IMO.
Yet, Flyers had a so-so regular season, got very lucky in SO against Henrick and very favorable playoff matchups (Thanks Halak) all the way to SC finals. Stars were lining up for us last season. Disagree?

Jester, I do not want to write 500 words essays with you. Seriously, keep it to a minimum. Get to the point? What is your point? You do not think Devils are a good team, Flyers can beat them again? They wonít win SC? 1st round exit? Kovalchuk is cancer, will destroy their chemistry? Brodeur is too old? Devils did not improve in off season?

Old
09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
It is but Devils can adjust. Losing Martin is big but not as big as losing Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski. They can adjust and they will adjust.
Don't want "500 word essays" [editorial note: your post was longer than mine], fine.

Answer me this: What have the Devs won since losing Stevens? What have they won since losing Nieds? What have they won since losing Rafalski?

You act as if they've kept on being a force of nature without those guys? They haven't. They've been a very strong regular season team because they're consistent over the 82 game schedule, get good goaltending, have a team philosophy, and just putter along and do their thing. Great. But that ain't what championships are made of.

They have won 2 playoff series since '02-'03. 2. 16-26 in the playoffs.

If they've been adjusting to the loss of those guys, then they need to try something else.

Old
09-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Don't want "500 word essays" [editorial note: your post was longer than mine], fine.

Answer me this: What have the Devs won since losing Stevens? What have they won since losing Nieds? What have they won since losing Rafalski?

You act as if they've kept on being a force of nature without those guys? They haven't. They've been a very strong regular season team because they're consistent over the 82 game schedule, get good goaltending, have a team philosophy, and just putter along and do their thing. Great. But that ain't what championships are made of.

If they've been adjusting to the loss of those guys, then they need to try something else.
it will come out as sounding like an excuse, but its the truth... we have had bad matchups. We lost to Carolina, who went on to win the Cup. Then we lost to Ottawa (2nd round), who went on to the finals. We lost to the Rangers, who absolutely owned us that entire season (this was admittedly a bad series for the whole team, Brodeur included).
Then we lost to Carolina again, who ended the season on absurd high (like 9 out of 11 wins) and play well against us, with a goalie that always stomps us.

Then we lost to Philly, who owned us during the regular season and was a better match. Funny... we can beat Pittsburgh any day last year, and Pittsburgh can beat you... but we can't. Its just about matchups, NJ hasn't had too many good ones. The best matchup we had since the lockout was Tampa Bay, and we won that first round. I think we could have beaten Ottawa, but turns out they were better than I thought.

Old
09-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:

They won division titles?
Quote:
They are a very good consistent team. Always were. It's true, I also said that NJ Devils improved goaltending, D and forwards in this off season and as a Flyers fan I do not like what they did because they got better. I will not ignore it because we beat them last year playoffs.

You going to tell NJ Devils what championships are made of? I think they know it.
Quote:
They are trying somehting else this season. They actually went and signed 4 UFAs and improved their team everywhere. Does not mean they will win SC and it does not mean 1st round exit either.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-07-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Closed Thread