HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How big of a jump is bantam C to midget C?

Old
08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Iplayhockehh

vCash: 500
How big of a jump is bantam C to midget C?

The reason im asking is because im a small speedy(or atleest I was speedy in bantam) 5"4 kid that isnt that buff. How much harder is midget C? Will I live?

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Patchey*

Well, I went through this 3 years ago, granted I was a little bit bigger than you are now. My very first shift of tryouts, I was absolutley creamed on the boards. I got up, and realized I have to keep my head up and be aware. The hits are bigger and the games faster paced, but you should adapt fairly quickly. Have fun

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 09:04 PM
10 ft. pole

protein shakes, weight training, head up, don't get punked, don't hold on to the puck to long, and watch out for big guys that can't skate (at the C level).

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Canadiens1958

Depending on the League/Your Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayhockehh View Post
The reason im asking is because im a small speedy(or atleest I was speedy in bantam) 5"4 kid that isnt that buff. How much harder is midget C? Will I live?
Bantam C to Midget C. Depends on the league. Some leagues tolerate the dumping of problem players into the "C" group while others do not.If in your jurisdiction Midget is three years and the league accepts unlimited problem last year midget players then the league may not be harder but it will be less enjoyable.

You skill level. If you were playing Bantam C because you started hockey later than most then you should ask your Bantam coaches about the appropriate midget level for you or look at where teammates and comparable Bantam players from your league last year are getting tryouts and position your self accordingly.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:05 AM
deanosaur

Best advice you'll ever get is keep your head up.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Stick To Your Guns

Where I was from the C levels were not contact, but I guess this isn't the case?

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
keslehr*

Quote:
If you're really fast you can get out of the way. The transition I experienced wasn't that bad. Plus, hitting isn't all about strength. If you get a lot of momentum even little guys can lay a big hit.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:53 PM
GenerationalTalent

Quote:
With that additude you won't. I find players that are scared the most get hit the worse because they avoid 'trouble' areas like the corners and front of the net then, they skate through the middle of the ice with there head down. I dunno why it happen but it does.

When he says he C hockey I am pretty sure he means small town hockey which is very good rep hockey and often there are players on those team who can play aaa but, refuse to do so. As a first year midget you will have to work hard to make the team. My advice is be fearless and you should be able to avoid open ice contact if your a small shifty player like you said. Also don't let the goon stuff in your head, play your game.

GenerationalTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 05:27 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Best advice you'll ever get is keep your head up.
+1

You don't want to be the next member of the Eric Lindros School of Skating Over the Blue Line With Your Head Down

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Joe Cole

Just watch small guys in the NHL, the ones who have played a number of years. The trick is to see the hit coming and roll with it (turn your body away from the hit). When you do get hit straight on, just get up, show no signs of how much it hurt and keep playing.

The moment you look like you are scared or hurt, you are done for.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Grinder89

The jump will be moderate consider most of the best players are in the higher ranks by midget. Not sure what Midget C level is though, would that be the equivilant of Single A (lowest tier of rep)?

As a small guy you must always keep your feet moving and head up. The bigger guys will try to feast on you, so play with a chip on your shoulder.

I was playing Midget level when I should have been Bantam. I was only 5"7 and 140lbs at the time and I had no problems. Sure I got decked every once in a while but everyone does. Work on reading the plays. When you are on the bench, watch carefully to see how the other team plays. You can read a lot just from watching and will have a better idea of what will happen during the play while your on the ice.

Grinder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Just watch small guys in the NHL, the ones who have played a number of years. The trick is to see the hit coming and roll with it (turn your body away from the hit). When you do get hit straight on, just get up, show no signs of how much it hurt and keep playing.

The moment you look like you are scared or hurt, you are done for.
'Rolling with it' isn't really turning away from the hit. That can actually be very bad advice. You should just try to stay loose when you see a hit coming, and if you can, take the impact with your shoulder. I'm sure you know this by bantam age, but it's pretty imature to think that you're 'done' if you happen to look like you're hurt.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
'Rolling with it' isn't really turning away from the hit. That can actually be very bad advice. You should just try to stay loose when you see a hit coming, and if you can, take the impact with your shoulder. I'm sure you know this by bantam age, but it's pretty imature to think that you're 'done' if you happen to look like you're hurt.
Why are you lost in semantics? When I said roll, I meant as the guy tries to hit you, you move in the same direction as he is hitting you from, therefore lessening the impact. Any small guy who survives in the NHL does exactly this. If I did not use the exact words that you would, it does not change the fact that it is what it is. Sheesh!

As for your second comment about being immature.... did that make you feel better to say that?

If you have ever played in real competition in any sport, you would know that you use what is available to you to get an edge on a team/player. That is just simple truth. And the guys who do not look for an edge, well...they are not trying to win.

The OP was talking about competitive hockey, not pick up hockey with your buds at the park. If he looks vulnerable, he will be exposed.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenerationalTalent View Post
With that additude you won't. I find players that are scared the most get hit the worse because they avoid 'trouble' areas like the corners and front of the net then, they skate through the middle of the ice with there head down. I dunno why it happen but it does.

When he says he C hockey I am pretty sure he means small town hockey which is very good rep hockey and often there are players on those team who can play aaa but, refuse to do so. As a first year midget you will have to work hard to make the team. My advice is be fearless and you should be able to avoid open ice contact if your a small shifty player like you said. Also don't let the goon stuff in your head, play your game.
Small town hockey was "B" level when I played in a small town. I was under the impression that only bigger centers had 'C" level.

I think you'll be alright kid. It's a little bit of a jump, but most of the kids that could really wipe you out are likely playing at higher levels.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote