HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Show

Old
09-07-2010, 07:15 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
The Show

Next year I am playing for the University of Michigan Dearborn in the ACHA Division 1. I'll be a natural junior and will turn 20 during the season. BD is 10-27-1991. I'm 6'5 and weigh 200 lbs. I've always been the best defenseman on my teams in travel hockey. I.E. Midget A, AA. Each year we made it to states, but never nationals. (I'm from Michigan by the way). I was just wondering if realistically there is any shot for me to make a career out of hockey. I don't even care if it isn't the NHL. I'm fine with the AHL, Eliteserin, SEL, or any other pro league. I feel like the only thing stopping me is my speed and agility so I'm going to be working on that as hard as I can all year.

tldr; 6'5 200 lbs 1991 birthday going to ACHA division 1 next year. Chance to make the dream still alive?

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Some of my teammates from the University of Colorado (ACHA Division 2) had good careers in Sweden and in the ECHL. Depends on how hard you want to work.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
RobertKron

6'5" will definitely open some doors for you. If you put in the work to impress once you get your foot in those doors, and are willing to work your way up, you never know.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Briere Up There*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
6'5
Quote:
6'5
Quote:
6'5
Quote:
6'5
Coaches will (should be doing this already) bend over backwards for you. They did when I played (I'm also 6'5,) and I had cement hands and zero hockey sense. Have fun even if you're not going pro, competitive hockey is such a thrill and when it's over you will miss it a lot.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

My advice is to put on weight. 6'5'' 200 is great if you want to look good on the beach, but if your looking to not get pushed around in ACHA D1 your going to need to bulk up.

My roommate is 6'4'' 270lbs playing in the ACHA and it's made his life a whole lot easier on defense with that kind of size. If a winger is streaking down the boards all he has to do is take 3 strong backwards crossovers and get a piece of the body and the puck is usually free.

As far as career, the NHL dream is over if you aren't already drafted. I guess the euro leagues are always an option, but you have to be a very special player. Euro leagues usually won't even talk to you unless you have NCAA, ECHL/AHL, Jr. A experience and were an above average player there. Also keep in mind that teams have import rules on non-native players. So they must pick and chose their players very carefully.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Next year I am playing for the University of Michigan Dearborn in the ACHA Division 1. I'll be a natural junior and will turn 20 during the season. BD is 10-27-1991. I'm 6'5 and weigh 200 lbs. I've always been the best defenseman on my teams in travel hockey. I.E. Midget A, AA. Each year we made it to states, but never nationals. (I'm from Michigan by the way). I was just wondering if realistically there is any shot for me to make a career out of hockey. I don't even care if it isn't the NHL. I'm fine with the AHL, Eliteserin, SEL, or any other pro league. I feel like the only thing stopping me is my speed and agility so I'm going to be working on that as hard as I can all year.

tldr; 6'5 200 lbs 1991 birthday going to ACHA division 1 next year. Chance to make the dream still alive?
You can still play junior this year and possibly next year as well as an overager, depending on the league. If going pro is a goal of yours, playing junior will offer you a much faster track than ACHA club hockey, especially from a competition and coaching/instructional standpoint. Unfortunately, most clubs have already had tryout camps already.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
You can still play junior this year and possibly next year as well as an overager, depending on the league. If going pro is a goal of yours, playing junior will offer you a much faster track than ACHA club hockey, especially from a competition and coaching/instructional standpoint. Unfortunately, most clubs have already had tryout camps already.
While technically he still came play in a Jr. A league at 20, most teams won't look at over-agers because they only have a year with a player and won't waste their time on them.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
While technically he still came play in a Jr. A league at 20, most teams won't look at over-agers because they only have a year with a player and won't waste their time on them.
Unless he wrote his birthday down incorrectly, he's not even 19 yet. 10/27/1991

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
robmneilson

Probably not a bad idea to stay in school.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-268178

Check out that great post by Bourne...

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:30 PM
PDX Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Depends on how hard you want to work.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
Probably not a bad idea to stay in school.
And definitely this.

Always ALWAYS ALWAYS have a plan B.

Good luck, bro.

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

bulk up as much as you can. but learn to skate better. i don't care how good of a skater you THINK you are, you can always get better. especially backward skating being a d-man. and work on transitions from forwards to backwards at top speed.

do russian stroking forward and backwards around the rink a good 20 times each. you'll get faster.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:03 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
As far as career, the NHL dream is over if you aren't already drafted.
That's just not true. There are a lot of undrafted NCAA players in the NHL and a ton more in the minor leagues.

With 2 years of NCAA Div. 1 experience and any kind of size you can get interest from most AA level teams in the CHL/ECHL and from there anything is possible. As for the OP? Is it likely that you'll go to the NHL? No, not really, there's a lot of luck that goes along with being undrafted and the fact you're a natural junior probably hurts you because if a team is going to look at an undrafted college player it's because he's a late bloomer who's 22 or 23 and hasn't quite finished yet. A career at the minor league level, or at least a few good years of giving hockey a try is still within reach if you want it bad enough, though.

Last edited by PuckHogs29: 09-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.
PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Blueland89

Look at rich Peverley he stated in the ECHL

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote