International Football Thread

Old
09-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Evilo, I distinctly remember you arguing that Drogba's first 2 seasons in England were top class a few years ago (I vehemently disagreed with you which is why I remember), but now you're saying he struggled like Benzema did?

You never had a ton of credibility on topics like this to begin with, and I think you just lost some more. You'll clearly just say anything to try to prove your point.

EDIT: Saying Kaka was worse than Benzema considering he was played out of position, had injury trouble, and still put up 8 goals and 6 assists is also kind of dumb.
HEY! None of that here anymore. Nobody cares. Go here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=816411

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Enough.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 08:08 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I just have to make one final note.

This is NOT about the quality of Ligue 1. I respect Ligue 1 a lot and I agree that when many players come out of Ligue 1, they are already fully-formed. Essien for example was already a monster, but he didn't hit worldwide fame until he got to Chelsea.

So this is NOT Benzema's performance in Ligue 1 (which was obviously outstanding), it is purely about him going to Madrid and sucking, at this point, I have serious questions about his future, it's never a good idea to get on Mourinho's bad side.

But I mean, I wanted Benzema to come to Arsenal, hoped he would fly under the radar.

So from my POV, I do not really see Ligue 1 as an inferior league, if you succeed in L1, you'll most likely succeed elsewhere.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
GarretJoseph

Belgium vs Turkey was a fantastic game.

Belgium are back, not fully yet but they are well on there way to becoming a powerful footballing nation again. I'd say they will have a very very strong team for the next World Cup in 2014, watch out for them. Don't expect them to make the Euro's unless Germany or Turkey screw up.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

ROFL Pepe Reina

Argentina destroying Spain

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
ROFL Pepe Reina

The score line is really favoring Argentina but I wonder if Batista was Argentina's coach in the world cup, would the outcome have been different?
Also their has been surprisingly a lot of reckless tackless from both sides.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 04:25 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I'm loving the "new" Sweden national team.
Even at it's worst moments, the Hamrén led team looks so much better and are so much more entertaining than even the very best that the Lagerbäck team where.

San Marino on Tuesday should be a walk in the park, anything less than 5-0 and I'll be disappointed.
Hamrén is a good manager! He wants attitude. And his teams always seems to be well balanced.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Belgium vs Turkey was a fantastic game.

Belgium are back, not fully yet but they are well on there way to becoming a powerful footballing nation again. I'd say they will have a very very strong team for the next World Cup in 2014, watch out for them. Don't expect them to make the Euro's unless Germany or Turkey screw up.
Belgium got a very difficult group and they're unlucky they didn't get any points in their first two qualifiers.

I live in Belgium so I really want them to do well. I miss the Schifo's and Wilmots, those were some good times.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:09 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Canada...scores?

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

2-1 Canada

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Canada's gotta be the only country in the world that's 10 minutes away from a win and then gets pulled off the field due to excessive rain.

Old
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
ROFL Pepe Reina

Bigger blunder between the two Iberian countries:

Eduardo

or

Reina?

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 08:49 PM
KingLB

Kinda off base from the Euro-centrism of the thread so far, but looks like changes to Concacaf WC Qualifying means US/Mex won't even face each other anymore in Qualifying....kinda sucks imo, as we miss out on winning a meaningful game in Azteca. Forgot to mention, wonder if these makes it somewhat easier for Canada to Qualify or atleast get into the final 2 groups.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...mexico-rivalry

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

It should help Canada avoid the brutal group of death that they had in '08, assuming they move into the top 8 of CONCACAF. The win tonight should help that.

They're still going to have to qualify over Costa Rica/Honduras/Jamaica/El Salvador/T&T etc, which I personally don't feel they have the talent to do this cycle.

Old
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

If they play more games, I think Canada can at least come close.

Old
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
It should help Canada avoid the brutal group of death that they had in '08, assuming they move into the top 8 of CONCACAF. The win tonight should help that.

They're still going to have to qualify over Costa Rica/Honduras/Jamaica/El Salvador/T&T etc, which I personally don't feel they have the talent to do this cycle.
I was away for the weekend and couldn't see either friendly, but from what I've read this is as sorry a situation as I've ever seen Canada. I mean, I thought they hit the bottom of the barrel in the last WCQ, but I think they're finding a whole new level this go-around.

It has become so bad that I think CONCACAF should re-think providing Canada with automatic byes to the GC and WCQ preliminaries.

And BTW, what the hell is up with only 10,000 fans showing up to the friendly against Peru? TFC sells out regularly but people can't be bothered to go watch the national team? It just adds to what's wrong in this country when it comes to soccer.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
I was away for the weekend and couldn't see either friendly, but from what I've read this is as sorry a situation as I've ever seen Canada. I mean, I thought they hit the bottom of the barrel in the last WCQ, but I think they're finding a whole new level this go-around.
Hey at least they won tonight. Of course, beating the Honduras C squad isn't an overly impressive feat, but when you've scored one goal in seven matches its nice.

I actually liked the 4-3-3 they played with tonight. Simpson/Jackson on the wings appears to be quite dangerous, the problem is that they still can't provide enough service for Friend to be effective. I wouldn't mind seeing Gerba back in there. The really nice thing would be for Hoilett to start playing for us so maybe we can move Jackson into the middle.

Quote:
It has become so bad that I think CONCACAF should re-think providing Canada with automatic byes to the GC and WCQ preliminaries.
Personally I'd love for Canada to need to qualify for the Gold Cup. You look at competitions like the Caribbean Cup and Central American Cup and its free FIFA points for the better countries there (with a decent multiplier). The issue is that Canada/USA/Mexico are always top 12 in the region so they can't have one of them not qualify, and frankly if Canada had to go to Central America to attempt to do so they'd probably lose at this point.

We get the same auto-byes that countries like Cuba get in WCQ, so they're probably OK on that point. With the new format that's coming into place pretty much every country not named Guyana will start in the same round. Hopefully Canada moves up to 6th or 7th in the region by the next Gold Cup where the draw will probably be based from (not out of the question at all), and ends up in an easy group.

Quote:
And BTW, what the hell is up with only 10,000 fans showing up to the friendly against Peru? TFC sells out regularly but people can't be bothered to go watch the national team? It just adds to what's wrong in this country when it comes to soccer.
Sadly there's just not much interest in the team. I was there Saturday in the supporters' section, and we pretty much had 112, 113, 114 and 127, and then everything else (a sporadic filling of the lower level) was Peru fans. Of course, a long weekend friendly against an opponent that most fans couldn't name one player from doesn't exactly entice a large turnout either. If say, Peru magically moved to North America and that was a WCQ, I'm sure there would've been more people in the crowd.

Old
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB
Kinda off base from the Euro-centrism of the thread so far, but looks like changes to Concacaf WC Qualifying means US/Mex won't even face each other anymore in Qualifying....kinda sucks imo, as we miss out on winning a meaningful game in Azteca. Forgot to mention, wonder if these makes it somewhat easier for Canada to Qualify or atleast get into the final 2 groups.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...mexico-rivalry
NO.

NO NO NO NO. Who came up with this stupid idea?

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:14 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
NO.

NO NO NO NO. Who came up with this stupid idea?
Well considering the idea is to help poor Caribbean nations get more games and therefore more cash, think Jack Warner might be the behind it.

On a side note about Warner, whenever I hear his name, somebody posts about how "corrupt" he is, but I've never heard why....anyone have a clue?

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:02 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Canada played better than last game against Peru, but we were still lucky to get the win.

Offensively, we have little to no movement. A good team would have dismantled that Honduran defence. When the Canadians did actually get moving, there were large holes left by the Honduran defenders and ample opportunities to score. This is the type of game that Canada needs to develop on a consistent basis, and the only way to do that is through player development and increased training time together to feel comfortable with each other on the pitch.

Perhaps De Rosario and De Guzman aren't being utilized optimally by Hart. Without them in the lineup tonight, the play seemed to be less bogged down, although overall movement was still lacking. It's a shame because things were looking more promising a few years ago when it seemed like the Canadians had finally figured out a formation to get more attacking opportunities in with both De Rosario and De Guzman.

I thought Dunfield played a heck of a game despite some poor tackling attempts initially. Really broke up a lot of attacks and generally controlled the midfield play.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:05 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Josh Simpson was very good in the second half.

Old
09-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
If they play more games, I think Canada can at least come close.
Exactly,they gotta get more friendlies going with some better clubs,let the guys gel together and then you never know,It won't be easy but if they play lots of games I think they could pull it off

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:32 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Rumour is, Hart is going over to Spain to talk with Jono De Guzman to come back to the Canadian squad. If they can get him back, and add the likes of Hoilett and Bunbury, it would be a significant upgrade.

The Man in White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agents View Post
Rumour is, Hart is going over to Spain to talk with Jono De Guzman to come back to the Canadian squad. If they can get him back, and add the likes of Hoilett and Bunbury, it would be a significant upgrade.
If they could throw out a qualifying lineup of

-----------------Hirschfeld------------------
Straith---Attakora---McKenna---Klukowski
-------------------JDG--------------------
----------Hutchinson---JDG II---------------
Hoilett----------------------------Simpson
--------------------Friend--------------------

With Jackson, Bunbury, Hume, de Jong, Johnson, De Ro, Jakovic etc on the bench, they'd be a pretty competitive CONCACAF team.

Old
09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
If they could throw out a qualifying lineup of

-----------------Hirschfeld------------------
Straith---Attakora---McKenna---Klukowski
-------------------JDG--------------------
----------Hutchinson---JDG II---------------
Hoilett----------------------------Simpson
--------------------Friend--------------------

With Jackson, Bunbury, Hume, de Jong, Johnson, De Ro, Jakovic etc on the bench, they'd be a pretty competitive CONCACAF team.
I'm drooling. Nice lineup.