HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hradek: Lombardi's intense questioning turned off Kovalchuk

Old
09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Clown Baby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
If I were Kovy I would do the same thing, someone who is hesitant in my services after I've been proving by scoring 40+ goals for 10 straight seasons is enough of a resume.
That's worth 100 million dollars?

Do people have any concept of what it takes to make 100 million dollars in this ****ing economy anymore? You better save the state of hockey, if you're asking for that kind of scratch, and Kovalchuk doesn't do that.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Jwm1986

i cant believe how much stock people are putting into these "intense questioning" and " bad vibes" stuff....

The Devils offered Kovy much more money and much much more in the beginning of the contract....The first thing DL said once he saw it was that the Kings offer couldnt come close to competing with it....thats why he signed with NJ and i cant see how anyone else could think it would be anything else....

It is what it is...nothing more and nothing less

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
That's worth 100 million dollars?

Do people have any concept of what it takes to make 100 million dollars in this ****ing economy anymore? You better save the state of hockey, if you're asking for that kind of scratch, and Kovalchuk doesn't do that.
He scores goals, but I could think of 5-10 other people with less production i'd take over him for play on both ends of the ice and less ego.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Who cares, if that is what stopped him from coming to LA, then all you can do is shrug and go find another scorer for the club. Onward.
What?? Don't you think he's already gone down this path? Please think before you speak! What is his alternative? He doesn't have one! The price is way too high, especially at this point in the off-season.

Last edited by Majik1987: 09-07-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: flaming
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
guyincognito

I'll preface this by saying I'm not the world's biggest fan of the player.

BUT, you guys that buy that story are total marks. What makes you think EJ had any clue of what was going on. I watched EJ and Barry on ESPN put Kovalchuk on the Bruins when the Devils trade HAD ALREADY BEEN COMPLETED, they were just working on the throw-ins and contacting the players.

and the kicker, you get to pay for it, since it's insider.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Osprey

I see this simply as further support for the theory that Lombardi just wasn't that interested in Kovalchuk. I think that it was management that was pushing for him (and reading that Kovalchuk met Beckham has the fingerprints of Tim Lieweke, Governor and CEO of the Kings and the Galaxy, respectively, all over it). I feel that Lombardi had some reservations about Kovalchuk's character, work ethic and/or defense or, at least, questions about them, and the formal interview is the place to ask them. Even if asked in the nicest, most indirect way, an astute person is liable to realize "hey, he's questioning whether I really want to win" or "hey, he's implying that I'm one-dimensional," so I don't blame him if he was turned off. I also don't blame Lombardi for asking, since he needed to know.

As someone else said, Lombardi didn't have the luxury of watching Ilya on his team for a few months and seeing for himself what kind of person he is. Lou never had to ask pointed questions, so it's no surprise which GM Ilya signed with. I bet that, if the Devils hadn't traded for Kovalchuk and he were sitting down with Ilya for first time, Lou would ask some tough questions, too.

As also mentioned, this isn't indicative of all Lombardi interviews. Mitchell said that he got a "good vibe" from his interview and, apparently, ultimately chose the Kings because of the things that Lombardi said to him. I think that Mitchell is the kind of guy that Lombardi is sure that he wants. He's not much of an enigma, so Dean probably didn't have to ask him many questions, didn't have to question his character, willingness to win or work ethic, and could devote the whole interview to a sales pitch and wooing Mitchell.

I don't think that Lombardi minds that things ended up like this. As I said, I feel that he didn't want Kovalchuk that much, to begin with, and, if Ilya got a bad vibe from his interview with the Kings, it's likely that Lombardi did, too. I think that he did enough to safeguard his job (by appeasing management) without ultimately selling out for it.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:11 PM
symbology

Quote:
I guess being the league's top sniper isn't enough, some teams like the Devils didn't question Kovalchuck's abilities and that's how they got him signed.
Um, no. Kovy played for the Devils for part of a season. This allowed the devils time to learn what kind of person Kovy was. The Kings tried to get Kovy at the deadline too. For the same reason......... to figure out what kind of guy he is. Everyone can read freakin stats.

symbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Axxion89

Perhaps DL asked if Kovy's mother was ever a *****, probably got the idea from the Dez Bryant interview...

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I bet that, if the Devils hadn't traded for Kovalchuk and he were sitting down with Ilya for first time, Lou would ask some tough questions, too.
Good post, and your comment above triggered a thought I've long held:

If NJD had not traded for Kovy in March, Lou and player quite likely would have never sat down this summer, period.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
This article is retarded. There's no way to gauge what Lombardi was asking, let alone what Kovalchuk found uncormtable in the process.

I'm certainly happy the OP found a way to rile the HF following, however. Kudos to you!!
I agree. I don't have a link but I remember hearing Dean talk about how 'impressed' he was with Kovalchuk and really surprised by his off ice behavior and attitude.

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Yeah because I'm sure DL wouldn't want a 40+ goal scorer on his team. I'm sure that that was all Kovy's idea. If he really wanted to go there so bad, he would have. I haven't seen LA sign a major free agent this year. You can say it's because Lombardi doesn't want them all you want, but I doubt that's true.
Well how many teams have signed a major free agent this year? Kings signed two 2nd tier guys to fill roles on the team. I think we faired pretty well.

Doughty,Johnson,Mitchell, Skuderi, Green in front of Bernier and Quick is a very comfortable back-end to have.

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:49 PM
JayRoadkill

If I'm offering somebody 100$ over 15 years, he better do more than score, he better be a leader on/off the ice, be on my PP AND PK, he better do every possible thing on the ice, at elite levels, not just cherry pick and shoot.

JayRoadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Kopistar

Tough questions made Kovalchuk go to NJ??? More like the extra 20m made him go to NJ. This guy is all about the money and some of you folks still don't see it

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:54 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
his point of view has just as much merit as people saying dean was probably to aggressive
It's all out of whack. The implication that the extra 20 million dollars doesn't or shouldn't mean anything is also silly. It's not like you can say he shunned a team with a great winning tradition to play for the biggest payday. He went to a team with multiple Cups in the last two decades. And he got paaaid. Holla!

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:59 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
EJ Hradek wrote a column on the Ilya Kovalchuk soap opera. Day to day analysis/reporting. Most of the stuff has already been reported but found this interesting. Need to have an ESPN Insider account to read the rest.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?..._ej&id=5541884

Kovalchuk had the 17/$102 million offer on the table before going to LA. NY Post reported the 17/$102 million on July 10.

the espn insider is amusing thing

a few times last year--it used this board as source of rumours, and a pile of other sources--that are considered non-legit by this site

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

i don't see why lombardi wouldn't go hard for him. i've heard some kings fans saying that if they signed kovy at the 5.2 million cap hit it would hand cuff them when they go to sign doughty, but according to cap geek, they have roughly 9 million dollars of cap space, handzus', williams', and ponikarovsky's contracts all run out. that leaves 10.7 million dollars for a total of roughly 19 million dollars. with kovy at 5.2 that would leave about 14 million. the year after that smyth and his monster contract run out as well. there is plenty of cap space to go around for doughty, johnson and bernier as well as some more marquee free agents

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Ronk

20 mil... thats why hes in NJ. Trying to scrub it any other way is nonsense. The same reason Mitchell signed with LA. $$$$$

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk View Post
20 mil... thats why hes in NJ. Trying to scrub it any other way is nonsense. The same reason Mitchell signed with LA. $$$$$
didn't mitchell sign with LA because the canucks wouldnt give him a two year deal? either way no one knows what went on in kovalchuk's mind during this, and obviously the extra money played into it, but probably because i'm a devils fan i think there was more than that. from reading articles on the devils website and watching the presser it seemed that he made some friends in new jersey, and by the looks of it he seemed happy toward the end of the year with the devils. although thats probably just for the cameras there had to be more to it than the money,maybe i'm looking too deep into the subject but i'm glad this whole drama is over and theres finally hockey to be played just around the corner

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Absentia Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk View Post
I guess none of you listened to the interview with dean after the devils signed him to the first contract. He specifically said his contract was for 13 years. The only news here is that deans not such a smooth talker, or maybe that's not news.

Last edited by Absentia Man*: 09-07-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Absentia Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Completely Jay Grossman's fault for not explaining to Lombardi in advance that his client doesn't like to endure any serious questioning before being offered $80,000,000 on a contract!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:00 AM
guest1467

Honestly, I think the Kings are better off for not signing him.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:09 AM
hfboardsuser

Dean: "So, are you willing to backche..."

Ilya: "Interview is OVER!"

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:19 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
This doesn't really help Kovalchuk's image of being a egotistical out of reality piece of garbage. "So I turned down the 80 million because my prospective employer felt he could ask me several questions before giving me so much money. Doesn't he know I'm Kovalchuk?"
sports fans (and everyone running this fantasy machine of "sport") are out of reality also, regardless of how "down to earth" you think you are. so whats your point? he can decide where he wants to go regardless of what Lombardi wants to ask or pressure him about. its his choice. not yours. and theres no Paladin-like nobility in any of this ridiculous industry except to entertain. get over it.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:39 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
If I were Kovy I would do the same thing, someone who is hesitant in my services after I've been proving by scoring 40+ goals for 10 straight seasons is enough of a resume.
Let's tone down the hyperbole. He hasn't even been in the league 10 seasons, let alone scored 40+ for 10 straight seasons. It's 6, which is elite and I'm sure the list of players that have done that in history is short, but calm it down a little.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:58 AM
defer*

both the ducks and kings seem to have money conservative GMs. you can blame a GM for questioning someone who they are about to potentially work with for the next 15 years.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote