HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hradek: Lombardi's intense questioning turned off Kovalchuk

Old
09-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Brent Burns
Ryane Cloews

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Dean: "So, are you willing to backche..."

Ilya: "Interview is OVER!"

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Devilswede

Yeah, like Hradek knows something. If he knew he would've reported it before.

Kovalchuk wanted to be a Devil. Period. Yeah, he also wanted the money, he'd be stupid no to. Who here wouldn't look to get paid as much as possible while being in a place that you love? Get real people!

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 04:47 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

DL: "What is it exactly you do?"
Kovy: "I take the puck and put it in the net."
DL: "Uh huh. And then what?"
Kovy: "That's it."

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Devilswede

Kings fans are so bitter, and I friggin love it!

Kings fans when he was traded to NJ from ATL: "I'm happy he went to NJ, we're going to sign in the summer anyway, he wants to be in LA."

Kings fans when Kovy became a UFA: "Now it's just a matter of time before we get the best UFA ever. Do it Dean!"

Kings fans when Kovy signed with NJ: "****ing greedy ****er! The Devils cheated! We want compensation! Kovy sucks! He can't play defense! I'm glad he signed in NJ! We're better off without him!"

Old
09-08-2010, 05:15 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post

Kings fans when he was traded to NJ from ATL: "I'm happy he went to NJ, we're going to sign in the summer anyway, he wants to be in LA."

Kings fans when Kovy became a UFA: "Now it's just a matter of time before we get the best UFA ever. Do it Dean!"

Kings fans when Kovy signed with NJ: "****ing greedy ****er! The Devils cheated! We want compensation! Kovy sucks! He can't play defense! I'm glad he signed in NJ! We're better off without him!"
Anger issues?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 05:15 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:

Dude, get off it. Sure, most of us had our hopes up but at the same time, we know where Lombardi is coming from. We know our cap situation is safe come next year, and signing guys like Doughty won't be a problem. And let's not pretend like Kovalchuk is a one way ticket to a Cup. You guys were already booted from the first round with Kovy on board.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Devilswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Dude, get off it. Sure, most of us had our hopes up but at the same time, we know where Lombardi is coming from. We know our cap situation is safe come next year, and signing guys like Doughty won't be a problem. And let's not pretend like Kovalchuk is a one way ticket to a Cup. You guys were already booted from the first round with Kovy on board.
Nice avatar dude. Kind of proves my point.

Old
09-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:

Yes, we're all terribly, terribly bitter. Dammit, you figured us out. For what it's worth, I recall maybe two Kings posters who mentioned compensation. The rest blew it off as a ridiculous idea.

Each one of you little scenarios uses something mentioned by a minority of Kings fans and trumpets it as if the entire fan base thinks the same way. You clearly have some counter-bitterness issues, for whatever reason. I FRIGGIN LOVE IT!

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
How does it prove your point? He clearly admitted in his post that he was hoping for Kovalchuk, so what's wrong with having a Kovalchuk avatar? His response was reasonable and intelligent, not sensationalist like your oh-so-accurate examples of Kings fans.

Old
09-08-2010, 05:37 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Like I said, I wanted Kovalchuk. That's been made pretty clear. And I'm not about changing my avatar every weekend. But yeah, I suppose it's time for a change. Don't make something out of nothing, pal.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Well.... if 80 million/15 years was as far as Lombardi wanted to go, LA fans can console themselves that it would have never happened. 20 million dollars is more than a little bit, and the cap-hit/deal construction would have never been accepted.

The whole idea that Kovy was blown off by Lombardi's questions seems retarded to be honest, and it is more likely planted by the Kings PR-people to make it appear less of a failure not getting it done after all the talk.
Cap-cautiousness or not, if Kovy had gone to LA for 6.666 million per as it ultimately came out for New Jersey, it would have been a splendid deal that would propel LA up there as one of the outright cup-favourites. Now they remain 'only' a dark horse, and that's a bit of a shame considering what a cap/cup-window this season was/is for them.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think LA will be much better off without him long term. With the extra cash they can keep their slew of good young talent signed long term. A huge contract like Kovy's, even front loaded would have been a drain on not only the cap but the Kings budget.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Well.... if 80 million/15 years was as far as Lombardi wanted to go, LA fans can console themselves that it would have never happened. 20 million dollars is more than a little bit, and the cap-hit/deal construction would have never been accepted.

The whole idea that Kovy was blown off by Lombardi's questions seems retarded to be honest, and it is more likely planted by the Kings PR-people to make it appear less of a failure not getting it done after all the talk.
Cap-cautiousness or not, if Kovy had gone to LA for 6.666 million per as it ultimately came out for New Jersey, it would have been a splendid deal that would propel LA up there as one of the outright cup-favourites. Now they remain 'only' a dark horse, and that's a bit of a shame considering what a cap/cup-window this season was/is for them.
I highly doubt the Kings' PR department would want to spread a rumor about Lombardi turning Kovalchuk off with his questioning since there is a large segment of Kings' fans who do not approve of Lombardi's negotiating tactics.

Also, I know it has been widely reported that the Kings' offer was 15 years/$80 million, but when Lombardi was on Fan590 immediately after Kovalchuk accepted New Jersey's first offer, he casually mentioned several times that the Kings' offer was for 13 years.

Who knows if that was a mistake on his part (I doubt it since he seems to be a very meticulous and caluculating person), but I think it changes things a little bit. Obviously the Kings were $20 million short where it mattered most, but there is a difference between an annual average value of $5.33 million and $6.15 million. That's more than New Jersey had to adjust their cap hit for the second contract.

Old
09-08-2010, 07:20 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Dean: "So, are you willing to backche..."

Ilya: "Interview is OVER!"

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
That's worth 100 million dollars?

Do people have any concept of what it takes to make 100 million dollars in this ****ing economy anymore? You better save the state of hockey, if you're asking for that kind of scratch, and Kovalchuk doesn't do that.
If you are ten years into scoring 40+ goals a year and you are 36, no.

If you are ten years into scoring 40+ goals a year and you are 27, you are an unprecedented phenomenon in the NHL. You're the first 27-year old bona fide superstar UFA. In this day and age, following the opening of the floodgates where long-term contracts are concerned... yes, that's probably worth a $100 million contract, over extreme term.

As for the reasons Kovalchuk veered left instead of right, I tend to put more stock into the $20M difference between the two offers, than in Dean Lombardi's bedside manner.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Lead Role in a Cage

Quote:

There is one worse kind than "bad losers", namely the bad "winners". I personally despise the mentality that you make an effort to interpret things as "you lost" and "we won", further developed into "you suck, and I really have to tell it to you". I personally like winning, but I certainly don't feel the urge to act small by mocking someone else about it, even less in this kind of social forum.

The funny thing about this particular case is, we are talking about Ilya freakin Kovalchuk. Not Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr or Howe. It's Kovalchuk. You are actually implementing the "bad winner" mentality after aquiring one of todays best goal getters, also carrying zero experience past round 1 of the stanley cup playoffs. That's, how should I say this, pathetic (no, not Kovalchuk, but the mentality). Good for the Devils, good for Lou Lamoriello who I like, and good for the fans (well hopefully, lets see what this materializes into in terms of on ice results). Shouldn't that be enough for you, or do you need absolute confirmation that only you "won" and everyone else "lost" to base your assumtion that this was a good move by "your" club?

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:45 AM
MartinVanBuren

The Devils had the unfair advantage of not having any good young players that need to be resigned. Kings needed to save cap space for Doughty, Johnson, Simmonds, Bernier, Moller, Hickey, and Parse.

MartinVanBuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVanBuren View Post
The Devils had the unfair advantage of not having any good young players that need to be resigned. Kings needed to save cap space for Doughty, Johnson, Simmonds, Bernier, Moller, Hickey, and Parse.
Dude, seriously?

A) Including Bernier, Moller, Hickey, and Parse at this point is just laughable. They haven't proven anything at the NHL level that deems them worthy of re-signing to multi-million dollar contracts.

B) The Devils have no one worthy of re-signing? Really? Apparently Parise, Greene, Zharkov, Corrente, and Urbom don't count (if you can pick a few players who haven't done much at the NHL, so can I).

A post like that is why people get negative opinions of Kings' fans.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:00 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Read over the bolded part a couple times and try and let it sink in.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:04 AM
MartinVanBuren

I'll grant you Parise. But Greene isn't young anymore. And Zharkov, Corrente, and Urbom haven't done **** either.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:06 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

meh.

Last edited by FootKnight: 09-08-2010 at 09:29 AM.
FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
I'll grant you Parise. But Greene isn't young anymore. And Zharkov, Corrente, and Urbom haven't done **** either.
Parse isn't exactly young anymore, either. That's pretty ironic considering Hickey, Moller, Parse and Bernier haven't done ****.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
MartinVanBuren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Parse is exactly young anymore, either.
Yes he is.
Quote:
That's pretty ironic considering Hickey, Moller, and Bernier haven't done ****.
You already said that.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Yes he is.You already said that.
Parse is 26. Greene is 27. Whoa huge difference there!

I know I already said that. I was just pointing out how ironic it was of you to include Hickey, Moller, Parse and Bernier as players the Kings needed to re-sign, and then shoot down my inclusion of Zharkov, Corrente, and Urbom because they "haven't done ****."

Old
09-08-2010, 08:23 AM
MartinVanBuren

Quote:
Parse is 26. Greene is 27. Whoa huge difference there!
Greene will be 28 in 7 weeks.
Quote:
I know I already said that. I was just pointing out how ironic it was of you to include Hickey, Moller, Parse and Bernier as players the Kings needed to re-sign, and then shoot down my inclusion of Zharkov, Corrente, and Urbom because they "haven't done ****."
Right, but you originally said that Hickey, Moller, Parse and Bernier haven't done anything. But then you include Zharkov, Corrente, and Urbom as being worthy of resigning.