HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What would be your opening day lineup?

Old
09-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

I think we keep Lewis.

I just don't see Lewis beating out Schenn for a roster spot. Lewis made the team last year, but got sent down to Manchester after about 10 days because he wasn't playing up to his full potential. Schenn's not going to act like that, nor will Clifford. I think Lewis blew his opportunity and is now trade-bait.

And speaking of trade-bait.....

Not many persons have Moller in their starting line-up. Has Moller blown his chance, too?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I just don't see Lewis beating out Schenn for a roster spot. Lewis made the team last year, but got sent down to Manchester after about 10 days because he wasn't playing up to his full potential. Schenn's not going to act like that, nor will Clifford. I think Lewis blew his opportunity and is now trade-bait.

And speaking of trade-bait.....

Not many persons have Moller in their starting line-up. Has Moller blown his chance, too?
Well, Lewis wouldn't be looking at the same jobs that Schenn would. Schenn is being groomed to be our #2 center and Lewis is looking at #4 to ultimately #3. Surely if they were both going for the same spot, Schenn may get it, depending on finances, but ultimately, Lewis is a third line guy, and Schenn is a second line guy. If the right deal comes up, then sure he is a dealt, but I don't think we have given up on him quite yet, but he is certainly in those Brian Boyle days.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Hendrydoso

Smyth -Kopitar - Williams
Parse -Stoll - Brown
Poni -Handzus - Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn - Lewis
Westgarth, Harrold

Doughty - Scuds
Johnson - Mitchell
Drewiske- Fransson
Martinez

Quick
Bernier

Hendrydoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

I could see Moller making the team at this stage of our development towards being a true contender. If we want nothing more to do with him then it would be foolish for us to hang onto him and get nothing in return and more likely that we would at some point start show casing him in the hopes of dealing him for something more valuable.

Either way it becomes a win for us. If Moller makes it then we get a great gritty kid with nice hands and if not, provided that he is handled correctly at the NHL level then we will get a nice return for him.

Win Win.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrydoso View Post
Parse -Stoll - Brown
Poni -Handzus - Simmonds
Westgarth, Harrold

Doughty - Scuds
Johnson - Mitchell
Drewiske- Fransson
Martinez

Quick
Bernier
This one looks good. I expect a bunch of odd experiments from Murray though...

Omni Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:18 AM
spudboy

Without looking at anybody else's:

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Richardson-Stoll-Brown
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Simmonds
Westgarth-Moller-Parse

Scuderi-Doughty
Mitchell-Johnson
Drewiske-Hickey

Quick

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
johnjm22

A lot of people have their bottom pair as two of Drewiske, Fransson, Hickey, or Martinez. You guys really think we should have two soft rookies paired together? They need to be shielded by one of Scuderi or Mitchell.

Until Greene gets back, I think the Doughty/Scuderi pairing has to get broken up. Scuderi's services are needed elsewhere.

Doughty-Johnson
Scuderi-Prospect
Mitchell-Prospect

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Johnny Utah

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Mitchell
Drewiske-????

Drewiske has some experience...I think that is what we are hinting at....When Greene comes back either he plays with DD or a guy like Fransson, A Mart, or Hickey and DD and Harrold are healthy scratches or rotate.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrydoso View Post
Parse -Stoll - Brown
Poni -Handzus - Simmonds
Westgarth, Harrold

Doughty - Scuds
Johnson - Mitchell
Drewiske- Fransson
Martinez

Quick
Bernier
Too soft buddy....that 4th has no muscle....Where does Clune, Clifford go...? Obviously you have listened to former Flyers Hextall and Lombardi comment on lack of toughness recently and how guys like Clune, Clifford and West will help.

Old
09-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Too soft buddy....that 4th has no muscle....Where does Clune, Clifford go...? Obviously you have listened to former Flyers Hextall and Lombardi comment on lack of toughness recently and how guys like Clune, Clifford and West will help.
Hendrydoso would be my exact lineup as well.

Clifford is a wildcard, if he has a could camp I could see him adding something to the fourth line, forcing Schenn, Lewis or Harrold out of a job (but I think they like Harrold's versatility). But at 19 that much is expecting alot. Not everybody is Lucic.

But Clune adds NOTHING in any aspect of a hockey game. He loses any fight he trys, which is only middleweight, gets pushed off the puck easily, slow, small, no hands, cant even throw a hit real well. If this guy never plays another NHL game it will 18 too many.

Westgarth is never going to be more than the 14th guy that subs in for 40-60 games. That is all any pure fighter is going to be. And that is all Westgarth is. I suspect in less than 5 years there won't even be guys like Westgarth, just guys like Lappy, Simmonds, Clifford, Lucic. Nobody needs big slow guys that do nothing but fight anymore.

I would love to add a TK, Lappy type player to the roster but unfortunatly they just do not exist in system right now. Ideally we could add someone like that to 4th and make...
Richie - Schenn - ????
Lewis - West

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
But Clune adds NOTHING in any aspect of a hockey game. He loses any fight he trys, which is only middleweight, gets pushed off the puck easily, slow, small, no hands, cant even throw a hit real well. If this guy never plays another NHL game it will 18 too many.
Are you saying you'd rather have Zeiler?

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

I don't think that any of us can say with any real authority how well or poorly ANY of our kids are going to do at the NHL level just yet.

Westgarth looked very solid during his call ups and has only improved down in the minors. *IF* he can bring his game to the NHL level then he will easily surpass Ivan the terrible in every area.

*if* not he shouldn't be any worse.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Hendrydoso would be my exact lineup as well.

Clifford is a wildcard, if he has a could camp I could see him adding something to the fourth line, forcing Schenn, Lewis or Harrold out of a job (but I think they like Harrold's versatility). But at 19 that much is expecting alot. Not everybody is Lucic.

Westgarth is never going to be more than the 14th guy that subs in for 40-60 games. That is all any pure fighter is going to be. And that is all Westgarth is. I suspect in less than 5 years there won't even be guys like Westgarth, just guys like Lappy, Simmonds, Clifford, Lucic. Nobody needs big slow guys that do nothing but fight anymore.

I would love to add a TK, Lappy type player to the roster but unfortunatly they just do not exist in system right now. Ideally we could add someone like that to 4th and make...
Richie - Schenn - ????
Lewis - West
You just crapped on every 4th liner with heart and balls. You really think the Kings will go with Richie-Schenn and ??? opening night against the tough Thrashers.

Remember Lombardi and Hextall run this show. I will bet all of you a beer that at least one tough guy will be on the 4th line come Oct. and possibly two of Clune, Westy or Clifford. If you don't then you haven't listened to anything Hextall has said recently or Lombardi for that matter back in June-July.

Also, if all enforcers are leaving the game why did Shelley and Booggard get 3 year deals right off the bat in July. Only one UFA enforcer is left, McGrattan...every other guy found a home. These guys aren't leaving the game. Every team in the NHL has one except the Habs, Canes and Wings (who btw invited Downey to camp).

I love how some of you people leave the tough players out of the line-up. This team is coached and run by three former Flyers. We lost OD, Greene is hurt and Clune played in the playoffs. You are all stupid if you don't believe the Kings won't carry some tough players on the 4th line. Are Simmonds and Mitchell supposed to do all the dirty work? A 20 year old lightweight and a dude with 3 concussions? Ha.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 09-08-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old
09-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
You just crapped on every 4th liner with heart and balls. You really think the Kings will go with Richie-Schenn and ??? opening night against the tough Thrashers.

Remember Lombardi and Hextall run this show. I will bet all of you a beer that at least one tough guy will be on the 4th line come Oct. and possibly two of Clune, Westy or Clifford. If you don't then you haven't listened to anything Hextall has said recently or Lombardi for that matter back in June-July.

Also, if all enforcers are leaving the game why did Shelley and Booggard get 3 year deals right off the bat in July. Only one UFA enforcer is left, Mcgrattan...every other guy found a home.
I just crapped on every fourth liner with heart and balls? No, I love guys like Lappy, Ryan Johnson, Ben Eager, Brandon Prust, Rick Rypien, etc. Guys that can bring energy, grit and toughness to the rink every night. I said tough guys who bring nothing but fists are a dying breed. I also said useless players that bring no grit, toughness, scoring, hands like Clune(Reddox, Zeiler, Giulano being other examples) have no place in the NHL.

I also said I expect Westgarth to play 40-60 games this year. Simply because we have no other option that can add legimate toughness to the fourth line. Once we find someone (or more than one someone) that can add that toughness while actually playing hockey we are going to cut Westy loose asap. Same as many teams are now looking for players that can actually play on the fourth line.

So even though Westgarth may on opening day roster he is still the 14th guy, IMO.

Laraque also signed a 3 year deal with a NTC not too long ago. How well did that go?

I don't get why you think Clune is "tough". All he has ever done at the NHL level is get pushed around.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
johnjm22

Quote:

Yeah I agree in general, but at 5'10" 188lbs, Clune isn't much of a tough guy. Unless he's agitating, he shouldn't be in the lineup.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:39 PM
verbalkint47

Smyth - Kopitar - Williams
Parse - Stoll - Brown
Poni - Handzus - Simmonds
Clune - Richardson - Lewis/Westgarth
Harrold

Scuderi - Doughty
Mitchell - JJ
Drewiske - Fransson
Martinez

Quick
Bernier

verbalkint47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint47 View Post
Parse - Stoll - Brown
Clune - Richardson - Lewis/Westgarth
Harrold

Scuderi - Doughty
Mitchell - JJ
Drewiske - Fransson
Martinez

Quick
Bernier

This...or these minor changes...

Parse - Stoll - Brown
Clifford - Richardson - Moller/Westgarth
ex.Clune/Lewis/Cliche-I'm hoping Lewis sticks, don't think he will. I see Cliche holding on to an extra skater spot.

Scuderi - Doughty
Johnson- Mitchell
Drewiske - Fransson
ex.Martinez-back to Manch once Greenes back

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Johnny Utah

Cooke may have it right. Though I would argue Clune has a shot at Clifford's spot on the LW as well...I would throw Cliche in the mix too.

Old
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
verbalkint47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
This...or these minor changes...

Parse - Stoll - Brown
Clifford - Richardson - Moller/Westgarth
ex.Clune/Lewis/Cliche-I'm hoping Lewis sticks, don't think he will. I see Cliche holding on to an extra skater spot.

Scuderi - Doughty
Johnson- Mitchell
Drewiske - Fransson
ex.Martinez-back to Manch once Greenes back
i could see that. i just think Moller/Clfford have much higher upside than Lewis/Clune. if they're clearly better then absolutely play them. if not, let older guys plug the fourth line spots and let Moller and Clifford continue to develop at lower levels.

but we're pretty much on the same page.

verbalkint47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
johnjm22

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Ponivarkovsky-Stoll-Brown
Richardson-Handzus-Simmonds
Parse-Lewis-Clifford
Westgarth

Doughty-Johnson
Scuderi-Hickey
Mitchell-Muzzin
Drewiske

Quick
Bernier

Old
09-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Hendrydoso

Quote:
Your intensity is a breath of fresh air. At least I can console myself in that our rosters only differ on two players. You wouldn't play Harrold, I think that they will use him as an extra back-up until Greene comes back and then we may never see him again in L.A. and you want Clune in the line-up and I think he needs more time. Perhaps when Greene comes back we can eject Harrold and bring Clune. The lineup that I proposed was for opening night not Nov., Dec. or May.

I generally agree with you that we need more toughness, however I only value it when it equals more wins. Clifford, Clune, Teubert, etc. will help us along but if they come up too early then not only could it hurt the win column but it could hurt developement too.

Old
09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Johnny Utah

I respect your opinion but some hard facts were the Kings got pushed around by Vancouver and Lombardi knows it, because he mentioned it and we lost our two toughest players, OD and Ivanans. Greene is starting on IR.

Kings need to replace that. Mitchell rarely fights especially with three concussions looming over him. A lot of teams targeted Doughty last year and took runs at him.

TM will want guys like Clune, Westy and Clifford in the line-up.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:11 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I think i'd go something like this.

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Parse-Stoll-Brown
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Richardson-Clune/Westgarth
Clune/Westy

Doughty-Scuderi
Mitchell-Johnson
Drewiske-Hickey
Harrold

Quick
Bernier

Before the pro-Richardson and anti-Parse people start ripping me left and right, let me explain. I have Richardson on the 4th line, not because of Parse' offensive skill but because of Richies defensive ability. I like the idea of having a 4th line that can play 10-12 minutes.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 09-08-2010 at 08:28 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Johnny Utah

You left Jack Johnson out...but looks good besides that.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Hendrydoso

Quote:
I respect your opinion but some hard facts were the Kings got pushed around by Vancouver and Lombardi knows it, because he mentioned it and we lost our two toughest players, OD and Ivanans. Greene is starting on IR.

Kings need to replace that. Mitchell rarely fights especially with three concussions looming over him. A lot of teams targeted Doughty last year and took runs at him.

TM will want guys like Clune, Westy and Clifford in the line-up.
Believe me, I'd be more happy if Clune and Clifford are ready to take this step but my guess is that they are not
The lineup that I posted wasn't what I hoped the Kings would ice, but the one that I thought the Kings would ice.