HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Franson Signs two year $800K per year

Old
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
still going to need another solid dman ... I don't believe Klein - Cube is going to cut it for the 2nd pair
I think they'll have to, with hopes that Parent or Johnson steps up. The back end is getting pretty crowded. Klein\Cube was actually a pretty solid pairing...most of the maligning Klein received was when paired with Hamhuis.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/9...tors-sign-cody

Here is the link per On the Forecheck.

Last player I have I put in bold on my spreadsheet. Preds are about 3.7 million over the cap floor with Johnson as the 7th and Dekanich as the back-up.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
MrJoshua

Hard to know who will and won't make the roster right now, but if they can keep the payroll this low and be in a playoff position when the trade deadline rolls around, it will leave Poile in a pretty good position to add some short-term help at that time. And I think a serviceable roster should be very possible with the players available.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

About time, now I dont have to worry so much

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Nshpred87

In the end Fruit cup Franson is a wimp in the NHL. He doesn't hit and is the slowest player on the team. Maybe in a few years when he puts some weight on and isn't afraid to put his shoulder into someone he might be worth this kind of money.

Nshpred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nshpred87 View Post
In the end Fruit cup Franson is a wimp in the NHL. He doesn't hit and is the slowest player on the team. Maybe in a few years when he puts some weight on and isn't afraid to put his shoulder into someone he might be worth this kind of money.

Old
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Nshpred87

Old
09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'll take "wimpy" Franson, who can actually contribute, over "tough" Tootoo, who is simply skating around taking up a spot, any day.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Nshpred87

He has an ok shot, good passing, and fairly poor positioning(beacause of his geriatric speed). He isnt worth what we are paying him.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Was this a good deal?

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'll take "wimpy" Franson, who can actually contribute, over "tough" Tootoo, who is simply skating around taking up a spot, any day.
Well said sir.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

He has a great shot, hes great at passing and he doesnt nearly make as many mistakes on d as Klein. And he isnt nearly as bad on defense as some people make him out to be. Yes he is slow and doesnt hit as much as we would like, but I expect him to show all you doubters and Franson bashers that he is a good defenseman and a reliable one.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Nshpred87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
He has a great shot, hes great at passing and he doesnt nearly make as many mistakes on d as Klein. And he isnt nearly as bad on defense as some people make him out to be. Yes he is slow and doesnt hit as much as we would like, but I expect him to show all you doubters and Franson bashers that he is a good defenseman and a reliable one.
Wasn't he supposed to prove himself last year? This is why so many are upset, he didnt prove himself and this seems like a huge waste of money.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Wasn't he supposed to prove himself last year? This is why so many are upset, he didnt prove himself and this seems like a huge waste of money.
6 goals 15 assists 21 pts and a plus 15 in your rookie campaign as a D-man on your 3rd pair isnt proving yourself? Yes he did play against other teams bottom lines but you also see other D-man in the nhl play against teams bottom lines and not get anywhere near those numbers. Hes only 23 has so much room to grow and he has with out a doubt proven himself to me.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Dude. He wasn't even supposed to sniff the NHL last season. Sulzer and Laakso were "the guys," and even Blum was supposedly better poised to step up. He supplanted a guy with a one-way contract, was one of the lone bright spots on a dismal power play, and put together a respectable point total in only 60 games. Is he rock solid defensively? No. But WHO CARES? They are called OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMEN for a reason. It's something that we as fans sometimes fail to grasp with guys like Zidlicky, Grebs, and now Franson--partly because our own coach sometimes doesn't grasp it. As long as someone is covering his butt, it works out. He gets paid(and a menial amount, by the way...not sure where your gripe with 800K is...) to put up points--something he did, and will continue to do. Have some perspective.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Nshpred87

Quote:
6 goals 15 assists 21 pts and a plus 15 in your rookie campaign as a D-man on your 3rd pair isnt proving yourself? Yes he did play against other teams bottom lines but you also see other D-man in the nhl play against teams bottom lines and not get anywhere near those numbers. Hes only 23 has so much room to grow and he has with out a doubt proven himself to me.
So hes proven himself to you great im glad you settle for a mediocre D man. But as for me and im sure others I realize our d was pretty weak last year and i dont want another useless d man who can yeah throw a few points up here and there but physically contributes nothing and God forbid we put him on PP.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
So hes proven himself to you great im glad you settle for a mediocre D man. But as for me and im sure others I realize our d was pretty weak last year and i dont want another useless d man who can yeah throw a few points up here and there but physically contributes nothing and God forbid we put him on PP.
Haha it takes time for a lot of young players to get use to the physicality of the game. Franson will most likely be taught by our staff how useful his size is in the physical part of the game. You look for d-men that can put up offensive numbers and use size to their advantage on defense. And thats what I see Franson doing. Like I said he is slow and hasn't been so physical but I expect him to start using his size and physicality more to cover up his speed. He is far from useless, if he was he would not of played in 61 games last year and he wouldnt of been resigned. Poile knows whats up

Old
09-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Nshpred87

Quote:
Haha it takes time for a lot of young players to get use to the physicality of the game. Franson will most likely be taught by our staff how useful his size is in the physical part of the game. You look for d-men that can put up offensive numbers and use size to their advantage on defense. And thats what I see Franson doing. Like I said he is slow and hasn't been so physical but I expect him to start using his size and physicality more to cover up his speed. He is far from useless, if he was he would not of played in 61 games last year and he wouldnt of been resigned. Poile knows whats up
Isn't the AHL where players are supposed to learn the physicality and how to use their size to their advantage. Sorry personally he's not ready for a one-way contract in the NHL.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Isn't the AHL where players are supposed to learn the physicality and how to use their size to their advantage. Sorry personally he's not ready for a one-way contract in the NHL.
The AHL is nothing compared to the NHL. How could he learn the physicality of the game against NHL players when he isnt playing against NHL players?

Last edited by I Will Son: 09-08-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old
09-08-2010, 03:47 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/3...eshkov-returns

this is a great article about the debate over klein and franson. It states why Klein is the weakest link and goes on to say because of his bad d positioning and that he plays the puck over the body (haha and ya'll female dog about Franson's hitting) also saying if it werent for Wilson and Horny that he would be getting much more praise, talking about Cody of course. This is franson's year, just wait.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle420 View Post
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/3...eshkov-returns

this is a great article about the debate over klein and franson. It states why Klein is the weakest link and goes on to say because of his bad d positioning and that he plays the puck over the body (haha and ya'll female dog about Franson's hitting) also saying if it werent for Wilson and Horny that he would be getting much more praise, talking about Cody of course. This is franson's year, just wait.

Old
09-08-2010, 03:49 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
So untrue, if the AHL was the answer to all players deficiencies, Cal O'reilly would be a hockey god.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle420 View Post
So untrue, if the AHL was the answer to all players deficiencies, Cal O'reilly would be a hockey god.
As would Hugh Jessiman and Mike Santorelli

Old
09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Franson has officially changed his uniform number to #4 for this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 04:08 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Franson has officially changed his uniform number to #4 for this season...
It seems most d-men like low numbers. Especially preds