HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next year's Habs

Old
09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Next year's Habs

Next year's team will have some of the same faces.

Gorges
Markov
Kostitsyn
Pouliot
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Pyatt
Backup goalie

All looking at a new contract. The Habs have 25.7mill in cap free, with the big contract going out in Hamrlik's. Gill will probably be done as youth will be brought in.

I know Gorges will be looking at a raise, and depending on how Markov is based on health this year he would be looking at the same contract(money wise) or a bit of a raise. Kostitsyn will be on a contract year, expect him to play well this year. Those are the contracts that I think will be looking at the most money.

So say we resign all those players I listed except Hamrlik and Gill. Say we use 17mill in cap to lock them all down. What do you think the Habs will do with the remaining say 8.7mill. Do they just bring in the youth, and build them up with the core players we have now, or do we fill the spots, especially defense with some big good dman.

(This is assuming, players don't get dealt through the year.) Everything could change say Hamrlik gets traded and we get a player with more than a year left on their deal, or say we deal Spacek get the same return like Hamrlik?

But if the roster remained the same going to FA, what would you think would be Montreal's options and do you think they should bring up some youth or get some high end talent to play for them from FA?

BigHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Gary320

Ramo will likely be the back up to Price. So check out Back Up Goalie.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

There's guys like kristo, leblanc, avstin, desharnais, trotter, white, etc etc on the way on thr forward group and two near ready d-men in carle and weber. I say we go with youth, and if necessary, we spend the remaining cash on acquiring a top player.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Pascal

Re-sign, not resign! Make it happen in 2010, no more!

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:16 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Re-sign, not resign! Make it happen in 2010, no more!
lol, i think it's like 3rd or 4th time I see you bust about the word.

Old
09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
tdecheno

So training camp hasn't even started and we're talking about 2011 free agency. Cool.

tdecheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I would sign a D,Chara is an UFA and Weber will be a RFA,I would send him a huge offer that Nashville probably wouldn't match

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:32 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
lol, i think it's like 3rd or 4th time I see you bust about the word.
I 100% agree with him, the word really means something else if you put the hyphen or not.

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

The D I would guess will be re-shaped the most. There are a lot of unanswered questions:

How will Markov play post injury? What will his demands be should he bounce back in good form?

Will Gorges be consistent? He was great in the playoffs but got off to a slow start IMO. What will Gorges' demands be if he has a good season?

How will Subban progress?

What will the other youngsters do?

Will Spacek stay injury free?

The list for d-men in 2011 UFA does not look overwhelming. Markov could be looking for a decent payday as it will be his last big contract I surmise. My best guess is Chara will re-sign with Boston.

On offense the core of Cammalleri, Gionta, Pleks and Gomez are pretty much in place so again the question remarks are Pouliot and AK. No telling if the Montreal media will succeed in running AK out of town. I can't say the list of UFA forwards is too overwhelming either.

# 1 Priority: Defense (Hamrlik although overpaid leaves a big void offensively and defensively).
# 2 Priority: Offense
# 3 Priority: Goaltending

Maybe squeeze coaching in there somewhere. LOL

I don't see much in free agency so IMO the kids will have to do some progressing. I would not discount the idea of re-signing some other guys besides the obvious.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
I 100% agree with him, the word really means something else if you put the hyphen or not.
Don't want topic to be about a word, but i think we know what a person means when we read resign due to the context.

Old
09-08-2010, 01:40 PM
De Montreal
help

Getting Chara would be huge, he'd thrive with Markov.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Bieber fever

Acquire a legit top 4 D : I would trade/offer sheet for Seabrook ( he's going to be RFA and I don't think chicago have enough cap space for a raise ). Or sign Bieska....

2) Bring 1 or 2 young player ( Avstin,Pacciorrety)

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:29 PM
neofury*

I also have always liked Bieksa but if I knew Chara was interested I'd hold out for him.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 03:12 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

2010 -2011 Season Hasn't Even Started Yet!

Can we at least start THIS season and se how we progress for at least half a season before we even THINK about next year.

Frankly, it makes little sense since injuries, trades, management firings, acts of hockey gods all affect how this team is shaped in the future...

I know we're all chomping at the bit to get training camp started but come on guys 2011- 2012....really!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I would sign a D,Chara is an UFA and Weber will be a RFA,I would send him a huge offer that Nashville probably wouldn't match
I figure he'll re-sign before July first, and if not, Nashville will match ANY offer sheet for their superstar defenceman.

I don't see us acquiring any more big names until our three contracts (Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri) expire.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That would be terrific. Though, Habs having the $$$, would we be really willing to part with that many 1st picks.

Well, ok we certainly do a lot better with 2nd round picks than any other team and our 1st round pick record isn't great under Timmins, still, what is it? 4 first picks if you really don't want Nashville to match...

And that would also open-up pandora's box for our future RFAs. Guys like Subban, Kristo and Tinordi and everyone of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I figure he'll re-sign before July first, and if not, Nashville will match ANY offer sheet for their superstar defenceman.

I don't see us acquiring any more big names until our three contracts (Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri) expire.

Habs ALWAYS spend mostly up to the cap.

All our probable UFA players are signed except for Dmen. The rest are RFAs and it's just crazy how much fans here overate RFA contract upgrades. How much more did Price make again? +500k Lapierre? +225k Pouliot? +500k

No one can say for sure if UFAs will be signed or not, because we sure do NOT know how AK, Pouliot or Eller will perform, and in extent, how much more they will make.

What we know for sure is that Hammer will be UFA and if he comes back, he'll take a major paycut. We also know that Gill will be a UFA, and if he comes back, will make close to the same amount or maybe just a bit less. We can speculate with a good level of certainty that Markov will sign back close to the same amount or just a bit more. We can also speculate with a good level of certainty that the cap will rise again next year, probably close to 62 mil.

We'll have money to spend and a spot or two to fill on D, which we WON'T be able to immediatly replace internally. A Dman betweem 4-7 mil will be the likely target.

We also know that Spacek's buyout is 1,3 per year for two years after this season, if it's what's needed to get rid of him, if getting rid of him is needed. This would mean cap space in the order of between 2,5 and 3,8, again, if needed.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Who are suppose to be the big names for next year as UFAs?

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Chara
Pitkanen
Bergeron
Thornton
Backes
Piktanen
Gagné
Kaberle
Bieska
Semin

Old
09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
JuJu Mobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
There's guys like kristo, leblanc, avstin, desharnais, trotter, white, etc etc on the way on thr forward group and two near ready d-men in carle and weber. I say we go with youth, and if necessary, we spend the remaining cash on acquiring a top player.
Trotter is gone, sir.

Signed in the KHL.

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

We have a lot of veterans on this team and if we don't make the playoffs this year, we might have a lot less when we start next year. The onus will be on the core group to play well enough to keep their jobs, not AK or Pouliot, imo.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Chara
Pitkanen
Bergeron
Thornton
Backes
Piktanen
Gagné
Kaberle
Bieska
Semin
Bolded are players we should really be taking a look at. Bieksa seems like he would be a good fit with Markov, Backes would bring a much needed physical element to our top 6, Gagne is a great 2-way player who could score 30 goals and Semin is just too offensively gifted to ignore (although it would be best to get rid of AK if this were to happen).

Chara/Thornton have no chance at hitting UFA.

EDIT: I'd love to have this D lineup next season.

Markov - Bieksa
Gorges - Subban
Spacek - OB

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 11:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
Trotter is gone, sir.

Signed in the KHL.
I'm aware, I'm also aware he has either a 1 or 2 year deal there and he will likely be back.

Old
09-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Bieber fever

If Backes hit the UFA market , I don't mind if the habs overpay him a lot. He's exactly what we need in our top 6.

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cam-Plekanec-Backes
Boyd-Eller-Avstin
Moen-Pyatt-Lapierre
Paciorrety

Markov-Bieska
Spacek-Subban
Gorges-xxx
Obyrn

Old
09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
goman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
2011 UFA D Men

I would add Chris Phillips to the list. He's a steady guy. Christian Erhoff may be of interest if Markov moves on. Bieska has always seemed like a risk as a no 2 d man but he has the tools to be useful.

Perhaps there are some well paid d man on teams looking to shed salary that may become an option. As long as they're not Brian Campbell.

Has anyone seen much of Eric Brewer?

I can see both Gill and Hamrlik re-signing, especially if Weber, Carle and I guess even O'Byrne don't take big steps forward.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:19 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
If Backes hit the UFA market , I don't mind if the habs overpay him a lot. He's exactly what we need in our top 6.

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cam-Plekanec-Backes
Boyd-Eller-Avstin
Moen-Pyatt-Lapierre
Paciorrety

Markov-Bieska
Spacek-Subban
Gorges-xxx
Obyrn
In my Be A Gm mode I made a few trades. Firstly I gave up 2 picks for Doughty (Do you guys think Dean would give up Doughty for even 2 first round picks? LOL)

Secondly I gave up Hammer + Picks for Backes.

Lets just say after calling up Subban and Eller, making some adjustments to my lines, the team rocks. (Been simulating to see how they do)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote