HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings To Add New Twist To Offensive Attack In 2010-11

Old
09-09-2010, 03:22 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:27 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Interesting. Easy to say and harder to do.

Quote:
Going back to last year, I thought we did a tremendous job in getting pucks deep on the forecheck, recovering pucks and getting a cycle,” added Murray. “When we do cycle the puck, we’re a very good hockey club that holds onto it, makes plays and gets pucks to the net. But as we go into this year, I’d really like to see a lot of possession entries and attack hard to the net with plays off the original attack, rather than going back and recovering [the puck].”

“That, to me, when you get into the playoffs and you plan on being a team that’s going to go deep into the playoffs, then that’s a part of the game that you have to execute at a pretty high level. That’ll be a focus for us going into the season.”

Murray explained that this change in the Kings’ attack does not mean he is changing their system.
Really, not a change? C'mon, thats as big a change as anything you could expect from TM.

Quote:
As we grow as a team and are more experienced and more comfortable with pucks on our sticks, [I want us to] generate more off that possession as we come through the middle of the ice, rather than going and getting it all the time or a lot of the time,” he emphasized. “Let’s generate more now from this possession. Show more poise. Make plays. Have confidence with the puck. Get something big happening to the net as often as possible, meaning driving through, stopping at the top of the crease, putting pucks to the net off that original attack.”
I guess to TM, actually allowing his players to play that kind of hockey isnt a change in his mind, but to those of us that watch the dump and chase night after night, just hearing that sounds so much better, and it is a change in tactics, not just an "emphasis."

We will all know when we see it, (and I hope we do see it) but apparently some of us who have watched and complained about the style of getting the puck into the zone maybe did know something after all.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I hope that he will keep Stoll off the point on the #1 PP unit as well. That was the biggest change for the playoffs and it definitely worked.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:07 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I hope that TM actually will follow through and allow players to do each of the things that he has outlined in his two big off season interviews. But so far in my opinion this looks/sounds allot like smoke and mirrors. If TM does change his offencive scheme it will be a first.

The key to increasing our 5 on 5 scoring in a TM system is to allow someone else to run our offence.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Honestly what team doesn't want to possess the puck and carry it into the attacking zone with speed. A lot of what happens IS dictated by the skill level of the players. From having the breakout pass hit a forward's stick while he is skating with speed to the puck handling of the forwards, it all has to click to make that happen.

You guys really think Wayne Simmonds isn't going to be dumping the puck in and chasing after it like a mad man this season?

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 01:12 PM
scramble91

kinda hit the nail on the head.

If terry murray wants more rushes up the ice, he needs more talent/speed up front to make it work.

Kopi is the only forward I see having the overall skillset to make this work .. brown will lose the puck...and the rest of the guys are dump and chase.

Its why I worry about our top 6, as a lack of speed/skill will always make us a dump and chase team. Just my opinion... hopefully Loki, Kitsyn, Weal could help us with this in 2-3 years time.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
johnjm22

In order to carry the puck into the attacking zone, you usually have to build up speed through the neutral zone and on the break out. If not, you're forced to dump and chase, or regroup.

Regardless, TM placing an emphasis on trying to carry the puck more so than dumping it in is a good thing IMO. Often times over the past two seasons, the Kings forwards have looked predictable and uncreative at even strength. I'm glad this issue is being addressed.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Honestly what team doesn't want to possess the puck and carry it into the attacking zone with speed. A lot of what happens IS dictated by the skill level of the players. From having the breakout pass hit a forward's stick while he is skating with speed to the puck handling of the forwards, it all has to click to make that happen.

You guys really think Wayne Simmonds isn't going to be dumping the puck in and chasing after it like a mad man this season?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post

If terry murray wants more rushes up the ice, he needs more talent/speed up front to make it work.
Kopi is the only forward I see having the overall skillset to make this work .. brown will lose the puck...and the rest of the guys are dump and chase.

Its why I worry about our top 6, as a lack of speed/skill will always make us a dump and chase team. Just my opinion... hopefully Loki, Kitsyn, Weal could help us with this in 2-3 years time.
Like I said, easier said than done and yes it requires players who have the ability to hold the puck under presuure at and beyond the offensive blue line.

Certainly it helps to have speed through the neutral zone that backs the D up, but you still need a high skill set, and our top six is not quite there yet.

Its another wait and see.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:31 PM
santiclaws

Quote:

Their inability to keep possession and go through the neutral zone with speed has more to do with their defensemen than with their forwards. You don't need blinding speed up front, you need good passing from the back. The puck is faster than any player. They have one D-man who can consistently make the right play and put the puck on the tape of a breaking forward.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
William H Bonney

Interesting. I wonder if this is just talk or an actual awakening and change in overall philosophy. I have nothing wrong with the dump and chase system in certain cases (i.e. the xxxx - Handzus - Simmer line is perfect for it) but I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that we lost our best puck possession player and on the cycle in Frolov?

As others have said, this also takes capable top 6 players and we only have 2 right now (Kopitar and Brown) that can effectively enter the zone with the puck and speed and you can only put Brown in there when he keeps it simple. I really expect Kopitar to pick it up in this category though this year. He's too big and fast not to dominate in this area. Hopefully Brown will keep it simple as well and drive wide instead of always going for the one-on-one move. Maybe a guy like Richardson, if he ends up on 2nd line LW spot, can improve on this as well.

The presence of Scuderi and Mitchell in the top 4 on the backend should also hopefully allow DD/JJ to take more opportunities to jump in the rush and help with this as well.

09-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

I don't know if I wanna watch Dustin Brown skate the puck into the zone.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Hockey 101:
(casual fans don't undertsand this)
Whether you should carry the puck in, or dump-and-chase, is dependent on the position & movement of the opposing d-men.
If they are pinching or standing you up at the blue line, you dump-and-chase. If they are moving backwards you carry it in.

Hockey 201:
The defense will be forced to change its style of play if your offense is sufficiently skilled and aggressive.

Its sound like TM wants the team to graduate from 101 to 201. That's a good thing.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM
RightKinger

TM is opening his system up a bit to allow for more offensive creativity knowing that the Kings have 3 legitimate shutdown defensmen and the younger players are more mature know. He trusts them to get back on D or cover for their teammates. I'm very happy with this.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:53 PM
KingLB

It doesn't matter what TM says or even does it practice....if a player gets benched for a offensive turnover after trying to carry the puck into the zone, the rest of the team will react and it turn start dumping it in to avoid benching. The bottom line is TM has to prove this new philosophy to me in games not just talk. My question is with fro gone who is the new whipping boy...Parse?

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Where's Kurri? I want to know what he'll say...

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

Actually, kind of missed the point completely. Detroit is a puck possession team from its 1st line through its 4th line. San Jose is developing into that style as well under their new coach (who ironically comes from the Detroit system). Neither team has a talent / speed makeup on each of the 4 lines and to a man. The talent of the players does not trump the system. Play a puck possession game and that becomes the system.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:35 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Its sound like TM wants the team to graduate from 101 to 201. That's a good thing.
Agreed, and seems like a natural progression after you've been beating "defensive responsibility" inti the heads of your players for so long.

Foundation's been laid. Let's start framing the walls.

Not really sure about the need to announce it, though.....I'd rather see them win a few games they might otherwise have lost early in the season because they've surprised an opponent here and there.....but I'm not an NHL coach, so what do I know?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 05:35 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Not gonna hold my breath.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
spudboy

Another great job, Gann!

Natural progression of the team. Whoever commented on not wanting to see Brown skating it in: he's fine at that, it's hitting the back of the net that I hope he works on.

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Randart

Well to be Quite Honest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
Another great job, Gann!

Natural progression of the team. Whoever commented on not wanting to see Brown skating it in: he's fine at that, it's hitting the back of the net that I hope he works on.
I am even fine with Dusty shooting the puck, I just hope he has worked on his passing that is a real weakness in his game! If he gets his passes up to speed it could help the whole team alot! Then he is a threat to carry or pass...

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I don't believe it.....................

That must be or devine intervention or something..............

I said it earlier, if the coach is a moron take the tools away what makes him a moron.
Frolov (his most used WWE board wrestler is gone) his defensive coach is gone.
He lost support because of that patehtic playoff round.

The second but mot import thing is AEG isn't patient anymore.
One of the signals is the short contracts they gave away to Lombardi and the staff.
Two years contracts means you have a couple of weeks to fix the last little things and that's it. Winning has to start now.
IMO opinion Lombardi dig his own grave with his "Lombardi type of player" ****. He had the chances to get Heatley, Gaborik, Kovalchuk and other...........
He didn't pull the trigger because something always raised a red flag.
Now these players score 40 goals for other teams. On top he lost Cammy, Frolov, Patty'O, Visnovsky and Quincey...............

He is in deep trouble and just gives the **** to the lower staff like the Headcoach.

I'm pretty sure he were sitting down with the staff showing some videos and told them to stop that ****. Just start a gamestyle what fit the team instead creating a style and squeeze a non fitting team into. Just stop playing around............

This season has a big difference to the last one. A change i was ever wanting.
Everyone who ever coached a team or played that beatifull game knows i

This sesason we are going out to win games instead try not to lose games.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:41 PM
triplcrown

I think the best we could do is be a "composite team" in terms of
the rush versus dump-and-chase.

We actually do have a small core of guys right now who
are excellent puck-rushers--Kopi, DD and JJ.

They give us some rushing capability now,
but as others have mentioned, our FWs are comprised primarily
of dump & chase guys, so that will still have to be our primary style.

But as far as quick-breakouts are concerned, that depends
on passing out of the zone & across center ice, which DD is a growing whiz at, and JJ is improving at.
Other guys help out in that area too--Mostly young guys who are growing & getting better.
That area needs to show improvement more than our rushing game, I would think.

When guys like Loktionov, Kozun and Hickey join the team (assuming they do), then we will perhaps
have enough puck-rushing talent to be a consistent threat at it.

But for this season, I expect us to be 80-85% a dump/chase team, with at least a few more good rushes per game, and many more quick-breakouts, than last season.

Quicker-breakouts could kick our already formidable chase, get & cycle game up
another notch. Just think about that for a moment. Whoa.

We will need time to add a substantial rushing element to our attack.
Once we achieve that, the sky will be the limit.

I think (and hope) management just wants the team to try to extend its offensive options this season (i.e.try a few more rushes at certain times) rather than change the whole style of the team.

It's just a matter of increasing our offensive complexity as we mature as a team, and become
as multi-dimensional as possible over time, as have many champions in the past.

Few teams go all the way with a 1-dimensional attack, no matter how good they may be at it.
That's one reason why superstar-based teams so often fail.

In another year or 2, we could have a complex, multi-dimensional attack that could
make the League tremble in its skates.

But in the meanwhile, lets keep building on our strengths, and add to them over time.

That's not the same as making a wholesale change.
This org and MGMT are too sensible for that.

Last edited by triplcrown: 09-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.
triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Part of me really hoped it was Tony.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote