HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill VII

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
How does playing in the Juniors for another year become a problem for his career? The kid is like 18? Development in the juniors is hardly going to stunt his progress. Losing Schenn isnt a problem for the team next year, since i dont think there would have been much of a difference between Richardson or Schenn at 4th line centre, losing the year of experience will only hurt if he need to replace Handzus and come straight into the 2nd line in 11-12
I think people also generally forget that, aside from the developmental lag, injuries are no good in the long run. Even with advancements in medical tech, repeated knee injuries will cut any otherwise promising career short. Let's not forget he doesn't just magically come back at 100%; remember how Handzus got back up to speed (or back up to slow )?

Old
09-09-2010, 01:19 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I think you have be at least 20 years old, or play 4 seasons in the CHL to be eligible for the AHL. Brayden is currently 19, and his birthday is in August.
Clifford played for the Monarchs last season and will not turn 20 until Jan 13, 2011. As long as their team's season in the CHL is over they can play. I'm not sure if it is a different type of contract that they play under, but they can play.

Old
09-09-2010, 04:35 AM
markisonfire

At the end of the season, junior players that move up to the AHL are on loan from their respective junior teams.

Old
09-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I think you have be at least 20 years old, or play 4 seasons in the CHL to be eligible for the AHL. Brayden is currently 19, and his birthday is in August.
He'll be able to play in Manchester once Brandon's WHL season is over, but that's it.

Old
09-09-2010, 09:08 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
That would be true and great point JU.

IF he returns and is available for the AHL then it could actually be a win for us in the end providing that BS isn't weakened overall by this latest injury that is.

Meanwhile, have you heard that one of our kids has been training in Santa Monica with one of the Gracies? That has to make a knuckler like you feel good JU, it does me.
I don't know how it could hurt the toughness of a scapper by knowing how to get beat on by one of the mma guys for a summer. Learning how to land that sweet spot punch could make for some interesting bouts next season.
He'll try to pull guard and lock in a triangle choke in the middle of a fight? Unless it's Renzo Gracie's gym, the Gracie family don't train in standing fighting... at all. The little standing they do teach is how to get your opponent to the graound. All whoever it is training there would be getting would be the cardio workout from it.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:03 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

And how to take a punch, pressure points and just plain overall toughness. A raising tide raises every ship. Toughing up by training how to win fights, no matter the style is better than just hitting the lines or running up and down sand dunes.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
And how to take a punch, pressure points and just plain overall toughness. A raising tide raises every ship. Toughing up by training how to win fights, no matter the style is better than just hitting the lines or running up and down sand dunes.
SO who is it then? Simmonds, Westgarth, or Clifford?

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone like Corey Elkins thinking the only way he makes the team is if he starts throwing down.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I wonder if we could get Fleischmann out of Washington for one of the logjam guys like Martinez or Campbell.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Schenn and Voynov were on the outside looking in anyways. No reason to rush either player into the lineup. The injury doesn't hurt the Kings too much unless it is a massive knee injury that will take years to rehabilitate and will set him back years.

Greene's injury was bad news, Voynov and Schenn being injured is just news.
What? Isn't any injury bad news, especially if the player was expected to make the team? (some have said Schenn had a chance to make it)

This team needs 5-on-5 scoring help, how is losing Schenn "just news?" This is bad news before the season even starts.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:07 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
What? Isn't any injury bad news, especially if the player was expected to make the team? (some have said Schenn had a chance to make it)

This team needs 5-on-5 scoring help, how is losing Schenn "just news?" This is bad news before the season even starts.
The kid was one of the last cuts last season. I think the Kings were hoping very hard that he could step in this season. Another season is Jr is a season likely wasted.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Clifford played for the Monarchs last season and will not turn 20 until Jan 13, 2011. As long as their team's season in the CHL is over they can play. I'm not sure if it is a different type of contract that they play under, but they can play.
It's a different type of contract from an SPC called an Amateur Try-Out contract -- ATO.

Here's a useful and informative article link.

Old
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Let's hope it isn't as bad as injury as we're thinking. When Simmonds hurt his knee, we thought he would miss a ton of time but he was back really fast! Just because he is having an MRI doesn't mean his season is over.

Old
09-09-2010, 02:27 PM
yankeeking

He is also very young and young people heal seemingly much faster, i think we are guessing how long he will be out compared to how other athletes have healed who may have been older/much older with comparable injuries, Simmonds was a good example of that.When I was 45 I broke my back and the freaking doctor actually told me if you were 20-25 years younger you probably would just be sore for a couple of weeks, nice of him hey now I was hurt and old lol but you get my point we are much more elastic and mendable when young.

Old
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Ok, yeah I didn't think of that, although typically in grappling there is no striking. At least not in Judo which was one of the main inspirations for BJJ. But I do see your point on the overall toughness. I remember reading Forrest Griffin's book (a really good read for pretty much anyone) and him talking about how he would train for tough fights by forcing himself to run on a treadmill turned up to an insane speed for 30 minutes or once he finished a workout and was exhausted he would go and swim laps til he was on the verge of drowning, and how that would toughen him up mentally.

Old
09-09-2010, 03:05 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Let's hope it isn't as bad as injury as we're thinking. When Simmonds hurt his knee, we thought he would miss a ton of time but he was back really fast! Just because he is having an MRI doesn't mean his season is over.
But all the reports I've seen say he for sure needs surgery. That sounds to me like its for sure a ligament but they just aren't sure which one and the extent of the damage.

Old
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
But all the reports I've seen say he for sure needs surgery. That sounds to me like its for sure a ligament but they just aren't sure which one and the extent of the damage.
Except for the quotes from his father and his Juniors coach, who both say he just tweaked it and they don't expect him to need surgery.

Old
09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Isn't the MRI today?

Old
09-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Johnny Utah

http://lakingsinsider.com/

Old
09-09-2010, 04:24 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
specifically http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/09/09...ort-of-update/

Old
09-09-2010, 04:47 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Well that sounds much much better than the reports from yesterday made it out to be...

Old
09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
So are we.. NOT acquiring another player? I feel as though we do need to.

Old
09-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
So are we.. NOT acquiring another player? I feel as though we do need to.
I'm not sure yet.

Old
09-09-2010, 05:14 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I'm not sure yet.
Alright, well let me know.

Old
09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

And Helene Elliot wrote that Bob Miller will be undergoing surgery and is out from this weekend's festivities. Even the broadcasters are not immune from the injury bug.

Old
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

I know TSN had their projected stats on the web the other day and I remember seeing they predicted Schenn to play in 77 games and go 17g+22a=39p so someone must have expected him to make the roster and play regularly.

Really hope he just tweaked it, regardless of whether or not he is/isn't going to make the team. Knee injuries are just bad news, period.

Closed Thread