HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Panaccio: Scouts say Bobrovsky could make the team this fall

Old
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
GIROUX CREW

vCash: 500
Tim Panaccio: Scouts say Bobrovsky could make the team this fall

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...pGroin/2/30098

Quote:
"The scouts think Bobrovsky could be the guy in camp who surprises all ... The Flyers hope he will be NHL-ready sometime this season.

But at least one scout tells me that the Russian could win a spot on the Flyers' roster this fall. BTW: Bobrovsky is taking English lessons."
What are the chances that Bobrovsky sees time in the NHL this season? Obviously it would depend on his play in the AHL (unless he goes crazy in camp/preseason) as well as injuries and the play of Leighton/Boosh but what do you guys think? Anyone see him at prospect camp?

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-09-2010 at 07:39 PM.
GIROUX CREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:32 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
He'll get a couple games when someone inevitably gets injured, but I'm not expecting much from him. Let him play a full year in the AHL, and give him every opportunity to win it in 2011-2012.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Sergei Bobrovsky for Calder.... ?

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Russian hockey and North American hockey are vastly different.

You let him settle in at his own pace unless you are 1,000% sure he's ready to roll. Even then, I expect it to be a hard decision.

You don't just see he is talented and give him a shot regardless of how talentless our duo is now.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Typical.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:55 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
This year is really stretching it. I would prefer to see him play in the AHL and get used to being a number one in North America. As much as I would love to see him come out and dominate I doubt it will happen. I would REALLY prefer to not screw up his development.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Please let him play in the AHL for a season... dont mess his development up...please. We might have FINALLY found our franchise goalie....wait what am I saying. Obviously the Flyers are gonna try and ruin him.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Mgkibbles

He put up good numbers in a very good league last year so he might be nearing NHL readiness, but I'd still prefer to see him in the AHL for atleast half a season, and probably more.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Typical.
Beat me to it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Beat me to it.
The reason I say it is because this team is always willing to sacrifice development and potential is not organizational sensibility because "he's good enough to be in the NHL."

It goes back a couple years, but the Flyers long ago forfeited the luxury of simply having the best 20 guys on the team.

Old
09-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
To state the obvious, if Bob gets serious playing time this season than the GM absolutely failed at getting to NHL caliber goalies...

It's just absurd that this is a real possibility.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

But once again, Bobrovsky played in a league against men. He might just indeed be ready. If Bobrovsky dazzles at the main camp, you just can't send him off with not even a second look. It was under Laviolette that Cam Ward became a playoff hero. I say let the coach decide if Bobrovsky is ready or not

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
But once again, Bobrovsky played in a league against men. He might just indeed be ready. If Bobrovsky dazzles at the main camp, you just can't send him off with not even a second look. It was under Laviolette that Cam Ward became a playoff hero. I say let the coach decide if Bobrovsky is ready or not
Are there any fears that Bobrovsky himself might decide? As in, $67,500 plus his signing bonus, is that going to be enough to keep him here, in the AHL, in the event that he decides he's ready for the NHL but the Flyers don't agree? I haven't followed his story at all, but drafted him in my FHL anyway, so apologies if there are more than the usual assurances in his case. Just something to generally be cautious about wrt KHL players though...

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Are there any fears that Bobrovsky himself might decide? As in, $67,500 plus his signing bonus, is that going to be enough to keep him here, in the AHL, in the event that he decides he's ready for the NHL but the Flyers don't agree? I haven't followed his story at all, but drafted him in my FHL anyway, so apologies if there are more than the usual assurances in his case. Just something to generally be cautious about wrt KHL players though...
We're under the impression that he knew he was going to have to go to the AHL, and that he's willing to go to the AHL in order to get to the NHL.

Old
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Quote:
We're under the impression that he knew he was going to have to go to the AHL, and that he's willing to go to the AHL in order to get to the NHL.
Thats what I remember reading. Someone along the sort of, he knows he wont be handed an NHL job and is fine with going through the AHL first.

Old
09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

He should have a year in the AHL..

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
That's what I read.

He knows what's up. His agent is probably telling him that if he develops in our system he's going to have a golden ticket. If he even develops into a 10-12 goalie in the league he'll be here for as long as he wants. This is the best franchise for him to be in right now, especially with the way the goalie market is.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
BernieParent

You're all getting the Flyers goalie development process wrong. Here's what needs to be done:
  • Give him major playing minutes in the off-season so the hype machine starts working overtime.
  • Play him relentlessly at the AHL level, while mentioning him in association with call-ups every chance you get.
  • Wait for the inevitable G injury, but don't call him up right away; make him fly across the continent if at all possible to suit up for a game same day.
  • Sit him on the bench for 10 games in a row.
  • Put him in against a strong offensive team and sit a regular or two.
  • Pull him after his first weak goal, and make him sit for the next 3-5 games.
  • Put him into a game that is out of reach and when the team is going through the motions.
  • Pick up a goalie on waivers just to "shake things up".
  • Send him back down to the AHL; inexpicably make him the back-up for a long stretch.
  • Deal him for a veteran defenseman at the deadline.
  • Lament that goaltender development is "an inexact science" and/or "a crapshoot".

Why mess with a tried-and-true system?

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Typical.
Having two crappy goalies sold to us as two legit starters is typical. Having a 22 year old prospect rumored to be getting a shot at a job with the big team - how is that typical? The Flyers' top two prospects are goalies - sure it would be nice to have a real goalie starting for the Flyers but you know how that goes.

Seriously though - all this kid needs is a shot. Let's assume Leighton either sucks or gets hurt - 50% probability of one or the other happening. Boucher's probability of sucking are 90%. All he needs to do is get a little luck and get 3 starts in a row and play well. Well - not great - all he needs is a few games and he could win the job outright. And how ****ing hard is it to play well behind that defense? Michael ****ing Leighton took this team to the finals behind that defense.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:11 PM
GIROUX CREW

I think making the team out of camp would be a bit too much too quickly. I wouldn't want to see the same thing happen to Bobrovsky that happened to Varlamov. He handled the pressure fairly well at first but I think them rushing Varlamov eventually caught up to him. But as some of you guys said, it's not like Sergei hasn't been playing against men and really talented men at that. However, the KHL isn't the NHL but I still think it proves that he's not far away in terms of development. If he does really well in the AHL and the Flyers need some goalie help halfway through the season I wouldn't be surprised if they call him up.

GIROUX CREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Having two crappy goalies sold to us as two legit starters is typical. Having a 22 year old prospect rumored to be getting a shot at a job with the big team - how is that typical? The Flyers' top two prospects are goalies - sure it would be nice to have a real goalie starting for the Flyers but you know how that goes.

Seriously though - all this kid needs is a shot. Let's assume Leighton either sucks or gets hurt - 50% probability of one or the other happening. Boucher's probability of sucking are 90%. All he needs to do is get a little luck and get 3 starts in a row and play well. Well - not great - all he needs is a few games and he could win the job outright. And how ****ing hard is it to play well behind that defense? Michael ****ing Leighton took this team to the finals behind that defense.
That's fine if he gets a shot and runs with it, but, uh, did you keep reading what I said?

Old
09-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post

Unless Bobrovsky is given a shot on the big club right out of camp and sticks (both of which seem unlikely), Backlund is ahead of the depth chart in front of Bobrovsky. So Bobro really has to beat out three goalies.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The other thing is that Holmgren is uberloyal to guys, unless his hand is forces (see: Randy Jones - for most of what I'm referring to). I don't see him dumping on Boucher (because Leighton is safe no matter what) if he's outplayed in pre-season.

Old
09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
kicksave27

Just because they think he can make the flyers roster doesn't means he's NHL ready, look at who he's competing against.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:06 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Just because they think he can make the flyers roster doesn't means he's NHL ready, look at who he's competing against.
Yea, he doesnt have to out compete much