HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SchoolYourPool's 2010-11 Stars Team Preview

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
  #26
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
You also continue to defend things that are clearly not true. Defending those as fact (the Lehtinen issue, the Benn issue, the Lehtonen issue, the Wandell issue) makes you come off as ill-informed, particularly combined with the already acknowledged number of factual errors.

If I were going to write about the Canucks, I would damn straight use the Vancouver-based media as my sources over TSN and CBS Sportsline, particularly for any off-season stuff that the national outlets really don't care about. Only using national stuff is, again, lazy.

I haven't read your other stories (and am not going to), so maybe you guys did better jobs there are therefore aren't hearing as many complaints. But your Dallas preview was flat out wrong in many place, and even funny, snarky comments like the Ribeiro Passion of the Christ thing can't save it from being pretty worthlesss overall.

tx - if it were presented as a fanboi blog, I wouldn't care. But they're trying to present it as a semi-professional piece of writing that's worth our times as Stars fans. If they want to pretend to be sportswriters, then they can deal with criticism like sportswriters.
come on kritter. The writers goes by the name Balls Brunswick. Do you really think that is portraying any sort of semi-professional article? Its a friggen fantasy hockey preview. We dont always have to be in serious business mode.

txomisc is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 02:41 PM
  #27
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,731
vCash: 50
What I find strange is the insistence on pushing Raycroft as a guy who's going to platoon and get a sizable number of games in net -- and then the accompanying projection for his SV% is at a miserable Auld-esque .896. So I'm not sure it's Vancouver homerism since they seem to think he'll revert back to sucking after his decent year with the Canucks.

piqued is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
  #28
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
If they want to pretend to be sportswriters, then they can deal with criticism like sportswriters.
If they were sportswriters, you'd defend them and complain about anyone questioning them like you do Heika. Since they're bloggers, and you work for the media (btw she does for those guys she's attacking), you treat them like crap.

That seems more honest, doesn't it?

They were wrong about several things, but you'd never treat another sportswriter like you did these guys. When Heika is wrong or late about things, you defend him until the end.

All this appears to be is “media” person bashing some bloggers because they’re product is inferior to mine.


Last edited by BigG44: 09-09-2010 at 05:45 PM.
BigG44 is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
  #29
BC Ben
Registered User
 
BC Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: True North
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
If they were sportswriters, you'd defend them and complain about anyone questioning them like you do Heika. You treat them like crap.

That seems more honest, doesn't it?

They were wrong about several things, but you'd never treat another sportswriter like you did these guys. When Heika is wrong or late about things, you defend him until the end.

All this appears to be is a person bashing some bloggers because they’re product is inferior to mine.

Hmmm... Thanks for the head's up, but we aren't here to produce an inferior product, nor are we looking to post these previews with inaccuracies.

We don't consider ourselves a blogger site; we are working hard to overcome that stigma.

It should be noted that our goal is to provide insight into the team from a primarily fantasy prospective while allowing the casual fan to get some additional information heading into the 2010-11 NHL season. Tough to incorporate it all, but I know we do a good job at that.


Last edited by BC Ben: 09-09-2010 at 10:05 PM.
BC Ben is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
  #30
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,012
vCash: 500
This article doesn't seem so bad. It's obvious it wasn't written by a Stars fan, but most of the complaints have been differences in opinion.

Marc Crawford
Apparently there's a problem with the Crawford hate. Why? We knew he was a crappy coach when he was hired. He hasn't done anything with the Stars to prove otherwise. We all facepalmed to our utmost ability when it was announced he would replace Tippett, now all of a sudden you're a Canucks fanboy for calling his hire a "masochistic move." I guess most of us are Canucks fans and don't realize it.

Ribeiro/Benn
Yes they're trying to develop Benn at center, but who plays second line RW? Who knows, maybe Crawford is dumb and tries to get fancy by putting Burish or Brunnström (or Barch.....) but then you're shafting Ribeiro by putting him on the third line with inferior scorers, and that's ignoring the detriment to the team that causes. That opening night line up may not happen, but it gives the team the best chance to win. Crawford may disagree and do some crazy crap but none of us would be able to predict that any better than they did.

Raycroft/Lehtonen
We're all very optimistic about Lehtonen's health, but why did Raycroft really sign in Dallas? Lehtonen has only played more than 50 games once in his career. He didn't sign a 2-way deal for peanuts because he was so desperate to get an NHL job, he did so because he fully expects to be in the NHL all year so that stipulation doesn't really bother him. He chose the Stars because they give him the best chance to start the most games, with the potential of the starting job opening to an injury. You're deluded if you think Krahn has an NHL future, even as a backup. Having said that, it's perfectly reasonable to say Raycroft starts 30 games.

Morrow
What's so bad about the statement that he's one of the best two-way players in the league? Until last season, we would have defended that vigorously. The preview mentions that he had a disappointing year and will likely improve on his numbers. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Lehtinen
I don't see the problem with assuming he's going to retire unless he says otherwise. It's a lot more likely that he retires than not.

Anyway, I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but god damn, settle down. I know it sucks to get labeled between a playoff team and a lottery team, but that's where this team is until something changes. If a Stars fan wrote that article, I would have been harder on him, but he wasn't, so cut him some slack.

Edit:
Quote:
The young power forward scored 55 points in 78 games in his sophomore campaign last year and will look to solidify himself as a top line NHL talent in 20010-11.
That's it. Take back everything I said. Grab the pitchforks. Neal's career will obviously be winding down at that point. I can't take anything else you write seriously. Learn how to be a proper news outlet, you people who are obviously not a real news outlet.


Last edited by hairylikebear: 09-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
hairylikebear is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 04:49 PM
  #31
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Biggie - I actually think the writing style is very good and perfect for online stuff. But that means jack if they're making basic, didn't do the research mistakes.

Take Mark. He's a "blogger" and has been since Andrew's opened, but he does meticulous work. You've never seen me tear apart his stories because he doesn't make mistakes that would allow that. I love some of the work DefendingBigD does, particularly their tactical breakdowns.

My problem with this particular piece was that there were so many dumb errors. If they want to be seen as a respectable place for information, and that seems to be their goal, it's stuff like this that absolutely destroys credibility. One typo (32.8 rather than 28.3) and an unclear fact are one thing, but this story had a long string of issues with it.

As far as Heika, I don't defend him on every point, but I do try to make people aware of the process of doing actual reporting. It's not nearly as simple as peole believe, and there's a lot of knee jerk here about when he doesn't match a "sources say" story, like the thing in Forbes about the Stars sale being close for the neighborhood of $275 million. And from what we've learned recently, he seems to be the correct one in this case.

You say I'm bashing them because they're bloggers. I say I'm bashing them because they're trying to be a legit media outlet (which can definitely be online only - I've got no problem with that), and when legit outlets mess up this badly, they're going to hear about it.

Kritter471 is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
  #32
BC Ben
Registered User
 
BC Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: True North
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Biggie - I actually think the writing style is very good and perfect for online stuff. But that means jack if they're making basic, didn't do the research mistakes.

My problem with this particular piece was that there were so many dumb errors. If they want to be seen as a respectable place for information, and that seems to be their goal, it's stuff like this that absolutely destroys credibility. One typo (32.8 rather than 28.3) and an unclear fact are one thing, but this story had a long string of issues with it.

As far as Heika, I don't defend him on every point, but I do try to make people aware of the process of doing actual reporting. It's not nearly as simple as peole believe, and there's a lot of knee jerk here about when he doesn't match a "sources say" story, like the thing in Forbes about the Stars sale being close for the neighborhood of $275 million. And from what we've learned recently, he seems to be the correct one in this case.

You say I'm bashing them because they're bloggers. I say I'm bashing them because they're trying to be a legit media outlet (which can definitely be online only - I've got no problem with that), and when legit outlets mess up this badly, they're going to hear about it.

Sounds like you have calmed down... With you on the Stars' side, how can they lose?

BC Ben is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
  #33
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
The article just feels totally unprofessional with comments like "He also hired Marc Crawford last season as the head coach in what can only be described as a masochistic move", "Passion of the Christ understudy", and "There will be several nervous breakdowns in Texas if I don't mention that Benn may also play center this year on the third line or on the second line if Riberio gets traded".

Other than that it does a decent job. The Lehtonen deal wasn't that much of an "eyebrow-raising" deal. Vishnevskiy might not even break an NHL roster while Lehtonen has (albeit with some injury concerns). It's a classic change of scenery trade. To be more accurate you can't say that Raycroft will platoon with Lehtonen as he might not even make the roster as he will be fighting for the backup job with Krahn.

The points projections are alright, but Ribeiro will have at least ten more points than that. Also I think it's safe to say that Benn will probably have a bigger jump than five points on how he did in his rookie season unless his development stalls or hits a regression.

Rune Forumwalker is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 07:05 PM
  #34
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I was never all that worked up. But I'm not one to mince words in writing style either, which can come across as if I'm really emotionally invested in something I guess.

Kritter471 is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 11:32 PM
  #35
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito
 
Balls Mahoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: +44 1252 230 607
Country: United States
Posts: 12,807
vCash: 500
After dealing with these people, I can't wait to see what the Maple Leaf fans are going to be like.

__________________
Balls Mahoney is offline  
Old
09-09-2010, 11:58 PM
  #36
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,731
vCash: 50
Nice poll on the main boards by the way. Can't wait to use the wisdom of the masses to support your faulty understanding and characterization of the situation, eh?

Your writing is amateurish and your reaction to criticism petty. I'll admit it does seem to fit right in though on that whole site, which won't be overcoming any stigmas in the near future.

piqued is offline  
Old
09-10-2010, 12:13 AM
  #37
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
After dealing with these people, I can't wait to see what the Maple Leaf fans are going to be like.
From an outside perspective, you come off really unprofessional and kinda douchey when you ask for feedback and then get pissy when its not the type you want. I was interested in your site's rankings until I saw your comments on this thread, now honestly I doubt I'll keep following as I've been kinda turned off by your attitude.

MetalGodAOD is offline  
Old
09-10-2010, 12:15 AM
  #38
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 50,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
After dealing with these people, I can't wait to see what the Maple Leaf fans are going to be like.
Wow.

For someone coming onto our board and trying to promote his own work, you sure don't take kindly to those who actually have feedback on it.

Before the comments get any worse, this thread is getting closed.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.