HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Schenn Injured Knee / No Damage / Day-to-Day

Old
09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
wicker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Stoll was 5th among L.A. forwards in scoring.

He would have been 3rd among Phoenix forwards in scoring, and Phoenix finished better than the Kings did. He would have been 3rd among Detroit forwards in scoring, and Detroit finished better. He would have been 5th among New Jersey forwards in scoring, and New Jersey finished better. He would have been 5th among Chicago forwards in scoring, and Chicago finished better.

To say that the Kings need a "serious upgrade" at that position is just typical message board hyberbole. Stoll brings decent scoring to the 2nd line, and scoring is just one of the several qualities he brings to the table, as he excels at faceoffs and physical play and provides above-average defense. Stoll and O'Donnell were the two most underrated players on the Kings team last season.

As for the topic, once we know the true severity of the injury, then it's fine to speculate. But to say this is a crushing blow to the Kings is, once again, typical message board hyperbole and drama for drama's sake.
Amen. All of this Stoll sucks lol talk is becoming increasingly tiresome. The only real concern in regards to Stoll is his Arthritis, honestly.

Also, since Schenn's MRI is now scheduled for tomorrow instead of getting it done ASAP, isn't that good news in and of itself? I'm no doctor, but that looks like a positive sign (unless his knee is swollen, and they need the swelling to go down...).

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I think Stoll is good and yet I believe it would be quite crushing if Schenn lost a year; these are not mutually exclusive concepts.

I'm glad the injury sounds less serious today.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

What's Stoll's shooting percentage? What's Dustin Brown's?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
What's Stoll's shooting percentage? What's Dustin Brown's?
www.google.com

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Stoll just needs a playmaker on his left wing, like an Alex Tanguay type. Maybe Lokti can fill this role next year or later on this year.

Or he just needs to stay healthy and be consistent. That'll do just fine as well.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 05:20 PM
johnjm22

Shooting %
Handzus 17.1
Parse 14.1
Kopitar 13.1
Simmonds 12.6
Doughty 11.3
Smyth 10.7
Frolov 10.4
Stoll 9.8
Brown 9.7

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Shooting %
Handzus 17.1
Parse 14.1
Kopitar 13.1
Simmonds 12.6
Doughty 11.3
Smyth 10.7
Frolov 10.4
Stoll 9.8
Brown 9.7
Zues

Anyway, here's to hoping for some good news tomorrow. I will be very relieved if it's really just a minor injury to Schenn without the need for surgery. We can afford not to have him on the team when the season starts but we can't afford him to be seriously injured and set his development back. Well I guess technically we can afford him to but it would suck.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

http://twitter.com/RealKyper

Quote:
LA hoping additional tests on Brayden Schenn's knee will confirm no major damage to knee. As of now prognosis appears to be 2-4 weeks.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
he has to go back to Wheat if he isnt picked up by the big club, though, right?

So what does this do to that? Missing the camps?

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
he has to go back to Wheat if he isnt picked up by the big club, though, right?

So what does this do to that? Missing the camps?
Correct, if he misses camp, he is going back.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
He can always start the season on IR. Play 9 games and then go from there.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:31 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He can always start the season on IR. Play 9 games and then go from there.
Yea, but then your not only throwing a rookie into a game, your throwing one in that won't be in game shape, and will be playing players that are now in regular season form. (assuming he comes back once the season starts)

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 02:09 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
Stoll at 16 goals and 31 assists. Are those second-line center numbers on a good team? The Kings had 101 points in spite of Stoll. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but we need a serious upgrade.

Ideally we'd sign or trade for a stop-gap at the second-line position but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect Schenn to get similar or better numbers to Stoll.

Lombardi has also said he wouldn't put Schenn on the fourth line so that point is moot.
As JT and Santi already pointed out hed be the same or higher on better teams.

Ive asked before and havent gotten any answers. What kind of upgrade would make people happy?

The bolded part is what Im talking about when people have too high of expectations for Schenn. To expect a 19 yr old to come in and put up 45+ pts is a little much.

Stoll is the perfect stop gap as he brings other things to the table like JT pointed out. All the Stoll hate needs to stop. Just because he doesnt put up 60+ pts doesnt mean hes not a second line center. Look at Chicago. Their second line center is Dave Bolland. Last season playing 82 games he put up 47 pts. This year he might have beaten those numbers but his pace was pretty much the same before and after the injury. His pace had him right around 35 pts. This was a guy who was the #2 on the Stanley Cup Champions. Stoll is a good fit for whats going on now in LA.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:48 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I've seen the Mike Richards comparable a few times in regards to Brayden Schenn so I took a look at how he broke into the league.

Richards spent two years in juniors after being drafted (Brayden has so far spent one). In his first two NHL seasons Richards averaged about 10 goals and 30 points before he broke out in his third year. I think it would be realistic to expect a similar curve by Schenn.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
As JT and Santi already pointed out hed be the same or higher on better teams.

Ive asked before and havent gotten any answers. What kind of upgrade would make people happy?

The bolded part is what Im talking about when people have too high of expectations for Schenn. To expect a 19 yr old to come in and put up 45+ pts is a little much.

Stoll is the perfect stop gap as he brings other things to the table like JT pointed out. All the Stoll hate needs to stop. Just because he doesnt put up 60+ pts doesnt mean hes not a second line center. Look at Chicago. Their second line center is Dave Bolland. Last season playing 82 games he put up 47 pts. This year he might have beaten those numbers but his pace was pretty much the same before and after the injury. His pace had him right around 35 pts. This was a guy who was the #2 on the Stanley Cup Champions. Stoll is a good fit for whats going on now in LA.
Sharp and his 66pts was Chicago's 2nd line centre last year during the regular season and playoffs and he will remain there for next year. However, i do agree that Stoll and his 47pts in 73gp are respectable numbers for a 2nd line centre.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I've seen the Mike Richards comparable a few times in regards to Brayden Schenn so I took a look at how he broke into the league.

Richards spent two years in juniors after being drafted (Brayden has so far spent one). In his first two NHL seasons Richards averaged about 10 goals and 30 points before he broke out in his third year. I think it would be realistic to expect a similar curve by Schenn.
Exactly! Going back to play junior at 19 isn't a bad thing, especially when there's facets of his game that Schenn can work on. Brayden Schenn will be a good player, but everyone has to temper their expectations - by 22-25 he'll be a potential point-per-game player in the NHL.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:10 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

From NotHelen's twitter

Quote:
Kings say Brayden Schenn had MRI and will have another--but not til Saturday. Awaiting call from Lombardi to clear that up, + other issues.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:12 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Sharp and his 66pts was Chicago's 2nd line centre last year during the regular season and playoffs and he will remain there for next year. However, i do agree that Stoll and his 47pts in 73gp are respectable numbers for a 2nd line centre.
I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Bolland was at Center and Sharp was playing on the wing during the playoffs and regular season when Bolland came back from injury.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Bolland was at Center and Sharp was playing on the wing during the playoffs and regular season when Bolland came back from injury.
... Saying that Sharp was Chicago's second-line center is disingenuous at best, he certainly didn't play there with any regularity at any point last season. He played there from time to time during the season while Bolland was hurt -- and in the playoffs he played there a bit more often, but Toews and Bolland still played significantly more time at center than Sharp did.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
johnjm22

Richards was drafted in the late 1st round. Schenn was a top 5 pick. Every player drafted ahead of Brayden has made the NHL already. It's not unreasonable to think Schenn could make the NHL full time this coming season.

1 John Tavares (54pts / 82gp)
2 Victor Hedman D
3 Matt Duchene (55pts / 81gp)
4 Evander Kane (26pts / 66gp)
5 Brayden Schenn
6 Oliver Ekman-Larsson D
7 Nazem Kadri
8 Scott Glennie
9 Jared Cowen D
10 Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

Kadri and MPS are likely to make the NHL this year.

Old
09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The Kings will probably release a statement that Schenn has suffered an upper-body injury.

Johnjm22, all of those players were on weaker teams that played their rookies to keep payroll down. Colorado shocked everyone by making the playoffs with a significant number of rookies in the lineup. They didn't expect to make the playoffs and had a very hot goalie that gave them a big boost in the standing. Much like Quick's December and January gave the Kings a big enough lead to stay in a playoff position.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
... Saying that Sharp was Chicago's second-line center is disingenuous at best, he certainly didn't play there with any regularity at any point last season. He played there from time to time during the season while Bolland was hurt -- and in the playoffs he played there a bit more often, but Toews and Bolland still played significantly more time at center than Sharp did.
Bolland is the Hawks third line center, not second.

It's about matchups, not ice time.

p.s.
Handzus' TOI was higher than Stoll's.

Michal Handzus LAK 18:18
Jarret Stoll LAK 17:25

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 09-10-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:51 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Shooting %
Handzus 17.1
Parse 14.1
Kopitar 13.1
Simmonds 12.6
Doughty 11.3
Smyth 10.7
Frolov 10.4
Stoll 9.8
Brown 9.7
That only factor's in the the shooting % of the shots that would actually hit the net.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 02:00 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Its not disingenuous, unless you want to call Zus our 2nd line center. Bolland is Chicago's shut down centerman getting the top checking line minutes.

edit: Bunny beat me to it.

Last edited by JDM: 09-10-2010 at 02:06 PM.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Johnjm22, all of those players were on weaker teams that played their rookies to keep payroll down. Colorado shocked everyone by making the playoffs with a significant number of rookies in the lineup. They didn't expect to make the playoffs and had a very hot goalie that gave them a big boost in the standing. Much like Quick's December and January gave the Kings a big enough lead to stay in a playoff position.
Right. All I'm saying is that it's not unreasonable to think Schenn is ready for the NHL right now.

Last edited by johnjm22: 09-10-2010 at 02:35 PM.