HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Smith charged with assault

Old
09-10-2010, 07:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Jason Smith charged with assault

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5552155

Quote:
The Calgary Police Service confirmed Thursday that Smith was arrested after police were called to his southwest Calgary home Aug. 10.

The 36-year-old Smith is charged with assaulting his wife and daughter and faces another count of confining his wife.

Smith was released on $1,000 bail and the conditions he have no contact with his wife, two daughters or his wife's parents. He was granted one exception to send his daughter a birthday card, according to court documents. The former player also is prohibited from returning to his home in Greely, Ontario, and was ordered not to consume alcohol or other intoxicating substances or possess weapons.
What a bummer. Hate to see stuff like this.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 07:47 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5552155

What a bummer. Hate to see stuff like this.
Assaulting his wife and daughter? Ugh.

I don't know the full story, obviously, but Jason was a great leader and Flyer. He just fell down a peg on my "respect" ladder.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 09-10-2010 at 08:07 AM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post

I don't know the full story, obviously, but I Jason was a great leader and Flyer. He just fell down a peg on my "respect" ladder.
Couldn't have said it any better. I'll hold off on judging too much until the full story comes out but it seems kind of cut and dry. No excuse to hit your wife and especially not your children. I'm assuming he was drunk but that's no excuse.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

This is sad to see. He was a warrior with the Flyers at least for the first part of his initial season. Then the injuries started affecting his play especially in the playoffs when him and his partner at the time (can't recall who) were like our third pairing this year. They were brutal and it was like Russian Roulette....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:49 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Disappointing.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Couldn't have said it any better. I'll hold off on judging too much until the full story comes out but it seems kind of cut and dry. No excuse to hit your wife and especially not your children. I'm assuming he was drunk but that's no excuse.
Looks like the courts ordered him not to consume any intoxicating things so I would imagine that means he was under the influence of something. This story seriously ruined my day. Jason Smith was one of my faves even before he was in Philly. Innocent until proven guilty, but for the most part with stuff like this, when there's smoke there's fire.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:31 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Gotta love alcohol.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:35 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

I don't know the full story, obviously, but Jason was a great leader and Flyer. He just fell down a peg on my "respect" ladder.
If it is true he falls pretty much right off the ladder for me. Disgusting if true.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:42 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
If it is true he falls pretty much right off the ladder for me. Disgusting if true.
Same. I mean if it had stopped at assaulting his wife, then you don't know whether or not things got out of hand in the heat of things, but when you involve children and especially daughters...

P.S Just to make sure I am not condoning assaulting his wife!

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:42 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
That's pretty much how I feel. There seems to be a few holes in the story, but if it's true, he can rot.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:40 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

an elephant had three peanuts, two were assaulted peanuts

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:58 AM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom
If assault is the same in Canada as England it doesn't actually require physical contact, it can be committed through words alone by making someone perceive they are in danger of imminent physical violence.

It wouldn't make it right in any way but certainly it's not as bad as actually punching your family members. Probably best to wait until we know the whole story before we judge him too severely. Either way it's disappointing though.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 11:07 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post
If assault is the same in Canada as England it doesn't actually require physical contact, it can be committed through words alone by making someone perceive they are in danger of imminent physical violence.

It wouldn't make it right in any way but certainly it's not as bad as actually punching your family members. Probably best to wait until we know the whole story before we judge him too severely. Either way it's disappointing though.
It is pretty obvious it is of a phyiscal nature, because he is being charged with.

Quote:
and faces another count of confining his wife.
You can't confine someone with just words...

Old
09-10-2010, 12:58 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
That really sucks. I really liked this guy.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:40 PM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
It is pretty obvious it is of a phyiscal nature, because he is being charged with.

You can just block a door with something heavy so it won't open. You can threaten the person on the other side of the door so they can't come out. I'm just saying don't jump to conclusions, I have no more idea of the particular circumstances than you.

Old
09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
You can just block a door with something heavy so it won't open. You can threaten the person on the other side of the door so they can't come out. I'm just saying don't jump to conclusions, I have no more idea of the particular circumstances than you.
I don't care how you confine someone, it's wrong. If any of this is in any way true, I don't think I can respect him ever again.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Terence Peterman

Total bummer.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 03:31 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Ok, well yes let us not jump to conclusions, because he also may have tripped and his dangling arms struck both his wife and child, which then sent them tumbling into a room. And after Smith tried to recover by grabbing onto the dresser it toppled over and knocked Smith out and locked his family in the room.

I mean a judge has decided a lot of harsh conditions for a reason. I don't need to jump to conclusion when there is a judge there giving us an idea of what happened.

Either scenario is possible, but one is more likely than the other.

Old
09-10-2010, 04:32 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
*******, that really sucks, hoping against hope it's fake or something.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
PF

Quote:
Ok, well yes let us not jump to conclusions, because he also may have tripped and his dangling arms struck both his wife and child, which then sent them tumbling into a room. And after Smith tried to recover by grabbing onto the dresser it toppled over and knocked Smith out and locked his family in the room.

I mean a judge has decided a lot of harsh conditions for a reason. I don't need to jump to conclusion when there is a judge there giving us an idea of what happened.

Either scenario is possible, but one is more likely than the other.
I'm not defending him, I'm just pointing out we don't know everything that has happened. I'm not suggesting any of these things are justified in any event but some are worse than others, I personally won't assume the worst about him until I see something which confirms it. You're welcome to believe what you want of course.

I can't infer anything from the conditions imposed on him myself because I don't know what's normal in these cases. It might be standard to not allow a person on bail for a crime not to approach the victim of the crime, that would simply make sense from my point of view.

By the way your example probably wouldn't be assault because there's no intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey
I don't care how you confine someone, it's wrong.
Absolutely, I agree.

Old
09-10-2010, 11:29 PM
StandingCow

Quote:

This. Man, what a bummer, he was awesome while here.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 01:31 AM
infidelappel*

Very sad to hear. I'll wait to see just what happened because, as has been pointed out, in certain countries assault can be physical or verbal. However, the limited press release paints a pretty bad (if incomplete) picture. Not cool.

I might have to rescind my appreciation for his service as the Flyers' captain if this is turns out to be what most are guessing it is.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

we dont know what happened, if whatever he did were really serious he would be facing battery charges, too. the restrictions may also be precautionary, better that the authorities err on the side of caution until the matter is resolved.

you hate to hear anything like this and if the charges stick it's certainly a heinous set of acts if it didn't come to serious violence but let's not rush to judgment.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 02:14 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
we dont know what happened, if whatever he did were really serious he would be facing battery charges, too. the restrictions may also be precautionary, better that the authorities err on the side of caution until the matter is resolved.

you hate to hear anything like this and if the charges stick it's certainly a heinous set of acts if it didn't come to serious violence but let's not rush to judgment.
Only if he touched her.

Also, just as something to consider, Smith is a former athlete from a sport that is known to harbor a) severe substance abuse, and b) traumatic brain injuries.

He should probably be evaluated on both accounts.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
"If you try to leave I'll ****ing kill you" can easily be considered forcible confinement. I'm pretty sure physical restraint is not required if I'm remembering the criminal code correctly.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote