HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren believes it will be a fight just to make the playoffs again

Old
09-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Ghost of Downie*

vCash: 500
Homer didn't tell the Pens, Rangers, and Devils that they're all wastelands of talent, looks like he doesn't think the team's good.

I almost wish Mike York would come back so that I could hear something different than generic Homer/Leighton hate. Then I remember that, if that were to happen, the city of Philadelphia would face its most serious food shortage since the Depression.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Why can't the season just start already so people can complain about legitimate problems instead of potential ones?
When the legit problems turn out to be the same potential problems a lot of us are moaning about now, we'll be hearing lines like:

"Such-and-such stinks, that isn't news, we've all known about that since before camp even started. Quit beating a dead horse."

It gets old talking about it, but such is the nature of the off-season I guess. If Homer did awesome stuff we could all be chatting about that, but we're just working with what we've got, lol.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
When the legit problems turn out to be the same potential problems a lot of us are moaning about now, we'll be hearing lines like:

"Such-and-such stinks, that isn't news, we've all known about that since before camp even started. Quit beating a dead horse."

It gets old talking about it, but such is the nature of the off-season I guess. If Homer did awesome stuff we could all be chatting about that, but we're just working with what we've got, lol.
it's hard to remark about how nice a dandelion smells if you've just been covered in human poop from head to toe.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
he knows the east is going to be a dogfight and hes right.
did you expect him to say "we are the team to beat"?
Yes, after making moves and doing what he did and how he did it I would expect him to be supremely confident in what he did during the offseason. Not that I agree with what he did but if the GM cannot come out and say they are the team to beat after his moves during the offseason it makes me skeptical that he actually improved this team in any way.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Yes, after making moves and doing what he did and how he did it I would expect him to be supremely confident in what he did during the offseason. Not that I agree with what he did but if the GM cannot come out and say they are the team to beat after his moves during the offseason it makes me skeptical that he actually improved this team in any way.
Fair enough.

Now, can you please tell me which GM's came out and said "we are the team to beat" this year?

Lou Lamoriello? Ray Shero? Brian Burke? Doug Wilson? Stan Bowman? Anyone?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Fair enough.

Now, can you please tell me which GM's came out and said "we are the team to beat" this year?

Lou Lamoriello? Ray Shero? Brian Burke? Doug Wilson? Stan Bowman? Anyone?
No one else is taking the podium. This is about talking confidence, being able to say that with the moves you just made they are in a very good position to not only be a top team in the conference but the team to beat in the NHL. Yes, that is what I want my GM to say if he is going to open his trap.

And so if any other GM was taking the podium I would expect them to answer the same if they had just made the SCF's and in his mind addressed positions to win this year.

Old
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
No one else is taking the podium. This is about talking confidence, being able to say that with the moves you just made they are in a very good position to not only be a top team in the conference but the team to beat in the NHL. Yes, that is what I want my GM to say if he is going to open his trap.

And so if any other GM was taking the podium I would expect them to answer the same if they had just made the SCF's and in his mind addressed positions to win this year.
That's fine.

However, there's a big difference between what you want your NHL GM to say and what NHL GM's actually say.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
That's fine.

However, there's a big difference between what you want your NHL GM to say and what NHL GM's actually say.
I agree, that coincides with what I want him to do with the roster and what he actually does with the roster during this offseason.

And on a sidenote, anyone else see the kid give Lappy a -quasi-hug getting a picture in the background?

Old
09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:

You are missing the point.

No GM states "we are the team to beat" this season. They just don't do it. It doesn't happen, and criticizing Homer for not doing something that no one else does is pretty retarded.

There are TONS of things to criticize Homer for, and of all things, you want to criticize him for not saying "we are the team to beat" this year?

I'm far more concerned with his cap and asset (mis)management, along with his inability to find a legitimate goaltender, than I am about his politically correct statements to the media.

Old
09-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

No GM states "we are the team to beat" this season. They just don't do it. It doesn't happen, and criticizing Homer for not doing something that no one else does is pretty retarded.

There are TONS of things to criticize Homer for, and of all things, you want to criticize him for not saying "we are the team to beat" this year?

I'm far more concerned with his cap and asset (mis)management, along with his inability to find a legitimate goaltender, than I am about his politically correct statements to the media.
I wanted him to trade Carter too, so I am 0-2.

Old
09-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:

*misses Clarkie*

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
*misses Clarkie*
I do too, to be honest with you. Not for his comments though, but because I believe he was a far superior GM.

Old
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I wanted him to trade Carter too, so I am 0-2.
Well, don't take this personally. I just think people need to be more fair in their criticism of Homer sometimes.

I mean, if we're gonna be upset because he didn't make a statement that no other GM ever makes either, then where does it end?

I'm one of the biggest Homer detractors around. As of this moment, the sight of the man makes my stomach turn. I think he bungled this offseason badly, screwed our cap structure moving forward and pissed away a ton of valuable assets in his tenure as GM.

But yea, I don't give a damn what he says (or doesn't say) in interviews. What are we gonna criticize him for next, the way he dresses?

Old
09-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
I do too, to be honest with you. Not for his comments though, but because I believe he was a far superior GM.
I miss him for both reasons, but will wait for this season to unfold before I make a verdict on Paul Holmgren. If he saves what little cap room they have for the trade deadline and makes a move to tweak them enough to put them over the top, the tunes sung by the Flyers fanbase will change.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

Agree, but I have to say I really dislike that he isn't putting it out there that a regular season like last year's would be nothing short of a disappointment. This dog fight stuff is a load of nonsense. They should be contending for the division. Barely making it in by their skin of the teeth would be a failure.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I miss him for both reasons, but will wait for this season to unfold before I make a verdict on Paul Holmgren. If he saves what little cap room they have for the trade deadline and makes a move to tweak them enough to put them over the top, the tunes sung by the Flyers fanbase will change.
Well, my tune won't change regardless.

To be clear, I have no problem with the roster he's assembled (aside from Leighton), and I could see this team possibly winning a Stanley Cup.

But that doesn't change the fact that I don't believe he assembled the roster in an economical fashion, in regards to the salary cap (in future years) and the assets he squandered. I am of the opinion that he could have built a roster just as good (or better), and done so with better cap and asset management. But that's all been discussed time and time again in many threads on this board.

And certainly, if this team wins the Cup, my dislike for his way of doing things will be dulled significantly

I guess I'm just tired of criticizing Homer (especially when I feel its undeserving). Its getting old. Everyone has their particular stance on his tenure as GM, and its all been well documented on these boards, over and over again. I'm just ready to watch this team (hopefully) kick some ass.

Old
09-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Agree, but I have to say I really dislike that he isn't putting it out there that a regular season like last year's would be nothing short of a disappointment. This dog fight stuff is a load of nonsense. They should be contending for the division. Barely making it in by their skin of the teeth would be a failure.
Well yea, I would have preferred he said something like "The inconsistencies of last season are unacceptable. In the salary cap era, its always difficult to make the playoffs, but if this team brings it every night, we should absolutely be there. There's no reason that this team shouldn't be fighting for the Atlantic Division Title and a top-3 playoff seed".

Personally, that's what I'd say as GM, but I'm not gonna start ripping Homer for not saying it. I think by Shooter not saying something like that, he is, in his own way, letting the players know they better be ready to give maximum effort from start to finish, because the playoffs are no lock in this day and age.

Ugh, I can't believe I'm even remotely defending Homer. I think I'm gonna be sick.