HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-11 Player Point Projection Article

Old
09-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Gabs = 69 GP? **** that ****. He won't miss a game this season.

*knock on wood*
The guy gets hurt every season, why would this year be any different?

As far as the projections they are very good and realistic. We will have problems scoring again this season.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 01:43 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quite optimistic for the most part. Obviously they feel that Drury is done being any kind of significant contributor in the NHL. I think Del Zotto could do a little better than that. I hope Anisimov does a little better than that. Otherwise I'll take it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Would be interested to know why Gaborik is going to miss more games than he did last year
Why wouldn't he? He usually does. You can go either way. I don't think either is more valid. Based on last season, you can easily be concerned.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 01:46 PM
TreeSapLlama

Gaborik's injury last season was due to a thigh laceration(and resulting complications). That can happen to anyone regardless of their durability. I don't see how that you can conclude he will miss time this year based on that "freak" occurence.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

If Tortorella is devoted to turning Dubinsky into a LW, then there's no guarantee he's going to play with Gaborik at all now that Frolov is here. There's certainly pros and cons to have either of them on the LW on that line, but you have to imagine Frolov is a better choice. At least to start with.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'd be really happy if Frolov hits that season. i even think he may be able to hit 30.

Hope AA and Doobs do better than that though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianJagr View Post
I don't see how that you can conclude he will miss time this year based on that "freak" occurence.
What?

The guy has played in 78% of total available games in his career. That's an average of 64 games per season. If anything, 69 games is generous based on his history.

Especially considering this article is written for FANTASY, where numbers are everything, its pretty spot-on.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:44 PM
XLJ

Dubi was on pace for 52 points last year if he didn't get hurt. I really think he will score 50-60 points this year. Anisimov should score 40-45 points next year assuming he will be the 2nd line center and get some more pp time probably on the 2nd unit.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:26 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If Tortorella is devoted to turning Dubinsky into a LW, then there's no guarantee he's going to play with Gaborik at all now that Frolov is here. There's certainly pros and cons to have either of them on the LW on that line, but you have to imagine Frolov is a better choice. At least to start with.
Frolov is certainly more of a first line talent at this point than Dubinsky is. Assuming they are both on the left wing.

Old
09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
What?

The guy has played in 78% of total available games in his career. That's an average of 64 games per season. If anything, 69 games is generous based on his history.

Especially considering this article is written for FANTASY, where numbers are everything, its pretty spot-on.
I understand where you are coming from, but why would you base it on his past history knowing that he had both hips surgically repaired? Last season he showed lingering effects from the surgery, and the only reason he missed games was due to the skate cut which can't fairly be taken into consideration as a measure of durability.

I am more inclined to use the statistics post surgery then pre-surgery, since I have no reason to believe the surgery wasn't anything other then 100% success.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The questions about Gaborik's health are going to linger until he can put several healthy seasons together. That's just the way it is. All fans can do is hope he stays healthy.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed regarding Dubinsky...I think hes capable of hitting 60 points if he plays with Gaborik all year and gets time on the 1st PP unit.

However, I dont think hes going to get those types of opportunities all year round. Last year, he got yanked from Gaborik's line due to one mistake in Montreal and only saw spot duty on the top line and powerplay for the majority of the rest of the season.

If hes getting jerked around again by the mad scientist coach, I think 50 points is more realistic.
50 points is a SAFER bet, but I do believe Dubinsky has untapped offensive potential. It may take the right linemates (Anisimov and MZA?) to really get him going. I could see him scoring anywhere from 45-70 points this year. I also think he's got tougher skin that to let a coach moving him throughout the lineup hold him back. His numbers will definitely suffer if he isn't getting minutes but I think he's a creative enough player that if he takes it to the next level in terms of consistency, he'll be able to break 55 points.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:27 PM
darko

I see Prospal struggling to break 50 points unless we suffer injuries and he gets 1st line minutes.

I also expect more from Dubinsky. If healthy somewhere around 55-60 points.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
chosen

Quote:
Gaborik's injury last season was due to a thigh laceration(and resulting complications). That can happen to anyone regardless of their durability. I don't see how that you can conclude he will miss time this year based on that "freak" occurence.
There were quite a few articles written last year that stated that the Rangers hid a groin injury for Gaborik.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
There were quite a few articles written last year that stated that the Rangers hid a groin injury for Gaborik.
I don't think they did a very good job. In training camp he had a groin issue. He "appeared" to struggle at various times throughout the season with. And during the Olympics (after the laceration) he supposedly had more issues. I certainly saw enough to not be confident about his chronic injuries. And being blindly emphatic to the contrary doesn't make the issue magically disappear.

Old
09-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Giacomin

I have a feeling Frolov is going to have a Monster year!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:32 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I am expecting progression from the forwards to a higher degree than the article speculates

I am hoping Callahan takes a step up, he is a Tortarella kind of player and should get an opportunity for additional PP time. I think he has a 30 goal season in him, but perhaps not this year.

As most here agree Dubinsky should continue to increase his production. When he takes that cut back against the flow move with a nice wrist shot I think he can push 60 points too.

Frolov and Gaborik is a nice pairing and an upgrade from last year. I am wondering that if Frolov puts up decent numbers can NY afford to resign him ? or is this just a 1 year thing.

Prospal at 35 ?
White at 35 and coming off surgery ?
not a ringing endorsement there

but its before the season right ? Its all about potential at this point

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 03:07 AM
Black Tank

Before the first pre-season game is when we all feel the most optimistic but I have to believe the addition of Frolov and the development of MDZ as a pp qb makes us a slightly more competent offense than at this time last year.

And I don't think White will be contributing anything in the NHL.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 11:43 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Ranks the top 250 point scorers. Here are some Rangers players on the list:

Gaborik: 69gp 38g 39a 77pts
Frolov: 78gp 28g 34a 60pts
Prospal: 78gp 18g 35a 53pts
Dubinsky: 76gp 21g 26a 47pts
Callahan: 78gp 23g 22a 45pts
White: 73gp 12g 25a 37pts
Anisimov: 78gp 16g 20a 36pts
MDZ: 79gp 7g 29a 36pts

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=29817
pretty acurate id say

id take a few away from frolov and white, and add a couple to AA and MZA

it may also be undercutting one of Dubi or Cally by a little

but what they have is entirely possible

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
ThirdEye

I guess I agree with most of them except I think MZA and Drury will be in the mix there with 40-50 points each.

edit: Less points for Prospal, White and Callahan

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:19 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I would be extremely disappointed if all we got out of Dubinsky was 47 points.

I want to see 55+ at the very least from him this season.

Play in 80 games and 25 goals and 35 assists is a number I would be satisfied with.

Callahan, I'd like a 25/25 season from him.

Drury I expect to get back to his 50+ point seasons, a similar 25/25 season is acceptable.

Frolov - talented enough to post 30/40 season and with the amount of ice time he can expect, it's a number I kind of expect.

Prospal - a down season on the horizon, 15 goals and 25 assists for 40 points

Arty - 15 goals and 25 assists I can see

MZA - 15/15

MDZ - 12 goals and 30 assists

Staal - 12 goals and 25 assists

Todd White can shock some people if put in the right spot. - 15 goals and 25 assists for him as well.

Gaborik - 40+ and 40+ - I can see Gaborik reaching 90 points this year.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
why would you base it on his past history knowing that he had both hips surgically repaired?
Because the article was written for fantasy hockey, where you absolutely HAVE to take prior history into account. Assuming the surgeries were successful is a huge gamble at the point where Gaborik would likely be taken in a draft.

Let's say Gaborik and Parise are up on the board. Who do you take? If both players play 82 games, sure, Gaborik will likely score more points. But you have to take into account the fact Zach is much more likely to play all 82 games (has only missed 3 games in 5 seasons), so you take Zach.

There's no loyalty in fantasy hockey*, and gambles are best saved for the later rounds.

EDIT: A better example would probably be Kovalchuk, as they are likely to put up similar PPG and GPG numbers. But Kovalchuk is more likely to play more games, so you take Kovy.

*I never pick Devils in fantasy though because I can't root for them even a little bit. So that would be a dilemma for me

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote