HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

College Football

Old
09-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The personal foul doesn't hurt as much if Virginia Tech shows up for the 1st Quarter. The last three quarters they were clearly the best team on the field. Thing is, Virginia Tech rarely wins these games where they're the one upsetting someone ranked higher than them. They schedule them because they get on TV so they can try and prove they've above the ACC, since there is such a bad stigma on the ACC, mainly because Virginia Tech created it.

Oh well, hopefully Boise State finishes the job. VT will get their Top 10-12 at the end of the year, muddle around next year with a new QB before they're hopefully ready to contend in 2012.
that first quarter is one of the most brutal things ive watched VT do. it wasn't that they were being outplayed; hell, they werent playing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
To be fair to the announcers, kellen Moore came out and proved quite a bit on that last drive
i can't be fair to the announcers after they talked about how much heart boise showed by retaking the lead, then proceeded to glorify them for the rest of the game. i kinda thought the team that came back from a 17-0 deficit, and was facing a veteran offense with only 4 starting defenders from last year, would be more compelling. according to them, i am wrong; its more interesting that the team that was expected to win won.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 11:45 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
What's the outlook for you guys? You've gotta be improving or Hawkins has to be gone soon, right?
My understanding is that they wanted to fire Hawk after last year, but couldn't afford the buyout. Which is pretty sad.

That said, I hear they looked good on Sat, and at least Hansen seems to be starting now, which is the way it should have been last year.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
My understanding is that they wanted to fire Hawk after last year, but couldn't afford the buyout. Which is pretty sad.

That said, I hear they looked good on Sat, and at least Hansen seems to be starting now, which is the way it should have been last year.
Ah, I see. That does suck. I don't know anything about Hansen but I was planning on catching at least some of your game against Cal this weekend. Is Cody Hawkins still on the team? I remember him starting @ Sun Devil Stadium in 07 and it being pretty brutal. I think he only connected on like 1/4th of his attempts. Pretty sure he was a freshman or sophomore though...

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 12:03 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Ah, I see. That does suck. I don't know anything about Hansen but I was planning on catching at least some of your game against Cal this weekend. Is Cody Hawkins still on the team? I remember him starting @ Sun Devil Stadium in 07 and it being pretty brutal. I think he only connected on like 1/4th of his attempts. Pretty sure he was a freshman or sophomore though...
Hansen is really shifty, and pretty sneaky. And has just flat out looked more dangerous than Hawkins when given a chance. I line him a lot.

As for the team as a whole, if the offensive line and Rodney Stewart can stay healthy (a big if), I think they could have a pretty good running game, but last year they just had no threats on the outside, Scotty McKnight is a great possession guy, but he's not a big play weapon. That said, they do have some interesting transfer wideouts Toney Clemons (from Michigan) and Travon Patterson (from USC) who might help spread the field a bit.

Old
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor..._BIG_UPS_.html

Villanova has been offered to make the jump. I guess Temple can keep that Mayor's Cup if Villanova gets to jump ahead of them into a BCS Conference.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

Villanova has been offered to make the jump. I guess Temple can keep that Mayor's Cup if Villanova gets to jump ahead of them into a BCS Conference.
good, get them out of the CAA, after what they did to us in the playoffs last year I want no part of them. Even tho we did give them their only loss.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 12:36 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

Yea, the presidentnof the university just sent out an e-mail about it.
Quote:
Dear Villanova Alumni:

Frequently I have shared news regarding matters of importance to the University and its alumni.
As such, I am writing to inform you of some recent conversations that have taken place regarding the Villanova Football program and its relationship with the Big East Conference. As you know, the program currently competes in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), formerly known as Division I-AA. The student-athletes, coaches, and administrators are excellent representatives of the University and have established a winning tradition that culminated with a national championship last year.

The landscape of college athletics continues to face dramatic changes and there has been a
great deal of speculation over the past few months regarding conference realignments nationwide. The Big East Conference has not been immune to such speculation, and Villanova's position regarding football has been frequently discussed on the internet, in the media, and among fans around the country.

Recently, the Big East officially informed us that its football schools were interested in adding Villanova as a football member of the Conference. We currently compete in the Big East in all
other varsity sports; however, joining the Conference as a football member would require that
the program move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), formerly known as Division I-A.
This would represent a significant change for the University and our Athletic Department.

As part of the University's Strategic Planning process, we have been studying our athletic programs, including assessing possible options for the football program. Given the current situation, the Board of Trustees' leadership and the President's Cabinet have decided that the most prudent course of action is to expedite our timeframe and embark upon an in-depth and thorough evaluation of the opportunity presented by the Big East. This is a complicated issue with numerous, multi-dimensional factors that come into play, and it is important that we investigate scenarios related to making - or not making - such a move.

More than likely, you will read or hear speculation as we conduct this assessment. I ask you to consider it just that - speculation. As we undertake this evaluation, I can assure you that a decision will be made only after the Board of Trustees conducts a careful and complete analysis. We will do what's right for Villanova and will not jeopardize our community-wide commitment to meeting the University's strategic objectives.

I will keep the Villanova community updated as we move forward through this process.

Sincerely,
Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A.
President

Old
09-10-2010, 12:55 PM
IrishSniper87

Good for Villanova. They played a strong game.

****ing Temple. 30,000 undergrad and the best program you have is Atlantic-10 basketball?

Too bad the top football athletes in the area are more interested in Penn State, I know I would be.

EDIT: I wish it was ACC. lol. I blame the dyslexia I don't have.

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 09-10-2010 at 01:10 PM.
IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:00 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Good for Villanova. They played a strong game.

****ing Temple. 30,000 undergrad and the best program you have is ACC basketball?

Too bad the top football athletes in the area are more interested in Penn State, I know I would be.
The football in the Philly area isn't strong anyway.

Old
09-10-2010, 01:08 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
The football in the Philly area isn't strong anyway.
But they're a drive over the Walt Whitman to one of the top 3 states in High School football recruiting....New Jersey.

Proof: Went to High School and graduated with this guy. Sat next to him in Junior year US History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Trautwein

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Temple was in the Big East, and blew it. Which stinks, because this isn't a MAC-market, but it works better for the MAC that they have a presence in PA and NJ and Temple seems to finally have it together.

Old
09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
But they're a drive over the Walt Whitman to one of the top 3 states in High School football recruiting....New Jersey.

Proof: Went to High School and graduated with this guy. Sat next to him in Junior year US History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Trautwein
I believe Nova football pulls a lot of Jersey kids.

Old
09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I believe Nova football pulls a lot of Jersey kids.
Explains why they did so well in I-AA.

Old
09-10-2010, 04:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

They don't need Nova for Jersey recruits because they already have Rutgers that's in New Jersey, unless they're expecting Rutgers to leave.

Old
09-10-2010, 06:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
They don't need Nova for Jersey recruits because they already have Rutgers that's in New Jersey, unless they're expecting Rutgers to leave.
Up until 4 or 5 years ago when Rutgers made it, NO ONE from New Jersey went to Rutgers. It's slowly changing, but they're still battling with top football schools. Fact is, some kids just want to get away and experience life. Kind of hard if they grew up an hour away from Rutgers. And when Rutgers sucked, that just gave them more reason to get away. Either way, it's a gradual increase.

Old
09-10-2010, 09:32 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

WVU scores 15 in the last 10 minutes to tie it against Marshall, going to OT...

Old
09-10-2010, 09:45 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Poor Marshall. Almost did it.

Old
09-10-2010, 09:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Poor Marshall. Almost did it.
*sigh* Got there up 21-6 with 10 mins left...left with .12 secs left after they tied it. This is why i dont go to Marshall football games much

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:09 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
*sigh* Got there up 21-6 with 10 mins left...left with .12 secs left after they tied it. This is why i dont go to Marshall football games much
I'm confused as to why, after having their defense essentially play most of the last 10 minutes, they decided to defend first in overtime. Defend second and give them a rest.

Old
09-10-2010, 10:13 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
I'm confused as to why, after having their defense essentially play most of the last 10 minutes, they decided to defend first in overtime. Defend second and give them a rest.
I wish i could offer an answer. I've seen so many bad play calls and decisions over the passed 5 years here...this didnt surprise me at all. I didnt see OT btw, i was walking back to my apartment.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:36 AM
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ

Since talk is of WVU, Rutgers, Villanova, and the Big East, I'll mention my alma mater, a Big East member:

The University of South Florida Bulls travel north to the Swamp to take on the Gaytors just after noon today. I'll be watching with fellow alums here in D.C.

GO BULLS!!

WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:44 AM
JSTAFF

Nova ****ing sucks. I don't know whats worst, you Nova homers or Penn State ******s.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Nova ****ing sucks. I don't know whats worst, you Nova homers or Penn State ******s.
Notre Dame fans.

Old
09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Notre Dame fans.
+1. They are arrogant, cocky and obnoxious. They think their history gives them some sort of entitlement. kind of like Yankee fans in baseball and Habs fans in hockey.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:07 AM
PhilaFlyers

Too close for comfort last night

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote