HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Bill Murphy OUT as announcer - Mitch Phillips IN

Old
09-09-2010, 02:40 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Bill Murphy OUT as announcer - Mitch Phillips IN

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...out-kinda.html

GP update your thread please.

Seriously though, sucks. Loved his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcbKSJIYXZA New guy

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I have no problem with this move. I was never a big fan of Murphy.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:05 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I have no problem with this move. I was never a big fan of Murphy.
nor was i. major cheese-miester. although this guy sounds like a robot.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Hip to be Square

This is a good change. Now, if we can tell randy ross to take a hike. We'd be in a great spot.

With regards to television. Is goldstein still doing the play-by-play?

Ugh.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

This is a shame... I liked Murph as an announcer. The cheese was part of the charm!

As someone watching on CI, I'd always wait to hear that "PANTHERRRRRRRRRS ...." after goals.

Last edited by Desert Panther: 09-09-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
This is a good change. Now, if we can tell randy ross to take a hike. We'd be in a great spot.

With regards to television. Is goldstein still doing the play-by-play?

Ugh.
From the link:
Quote:
Randi Ross is out as the in-house personality as well, but there will be another young lady taking her place.
I don't know anything about Mitch Phillips, but I thought Murphy did a good job as announcer and I liked hearing his call after the Panthers scored.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:07 PM
vektorious

looks like Mr. Murphy is already looking for another job! I don't mind honestly...It is time for a change, and that mitch philips guy has a pretty bad ass voice!

vektorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:52 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I was concerned before opening this thread because I liked Murph and had no idea who this new guy was by name, but now that I see that he makes the drunk driving commercials that I see all the time, I'm fine with this. Actually, he reminds me of the voice you hear when outside of the BAC. I wonder if he's the one that made those recordings.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
From the link:

I don't know anything about Mitch Phillips, but I thought Murphy did a good job as announcer and I liked hearing his call after the Panthers scored.
I didn't see that. Ok. But, still shes being replaced. More of the same bs. Friggin awful in-arena experience if you're a true hockey fan. Great if you're a dad or mom taking the kids out for family fun night.

Would it kill 'em to ease up on the kid atmosphere? I want to see some boisterous crowds for crying out loud. Sometimes I like going to see the Panthers play the Rags or the Habs, because you know there's going to be a better hockey atmosphere and not the usual silent, disney themed crap for whiny, snot-nosed children.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
I didn't see that. Ok. But, still shes being replaced. More of the same bs. Friggin awful in-arena experience if you're a true hockey fan. Great if you're a dad or mom taking the kids out for family fun night.

Would it kill 'em to ease up on the kid atmosphere? I want to see some boisterous crowds for crying out loud. Sometimes I like going to see the Panthers play the Rags or the Habs, because you know there's going to be a better hockey atmosphere and not the usual silent, disney themed crap for whiny, snot-nosed children.
Just avoid going to the 'Kids Day' games.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Awesome move...

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Pantherkidd101
Don't Read This

Send a message via AIM to Pantherkidd101
So is this Phillips guy going to do the "PANTHERS!.." goal call?

It would be lame if they get rid of that.

Pantherkidd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:39 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherkidd101 View Post
So is this Phillips guy going to do the "PANTHERS!.." goal call?

It would be lame if they get rid of that.
I dont think they will ever get rid of that. Why would they, its one thing that doesnt cost any money

Old
09-10-2010, 01:55 PM
zeroG

Quote:
I dont think they will ever get rid of that. Why would they, its one thing that doesnt cost any money
true, but it's getting loooong in the tooth. and it's sadly ironic that it originated from the calls at the miami arena during the playoff run when the place was nuts (you actually couldn't hear the "GOAL" in "panthers GOAL scored by...") and there are now just a smidgen of hardcore fans there screaming goal. i think it's time to let that one go. at least until the playoffs. it's really kind of a joke at this point.

Old
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
true, but it's getting loooong in the tooth. and it's sadly ironic that it originated from the calls at the miami arena during the playoff run when the place was nuts (you actually couldn't hear the "GOAL" in "panthers GOAL scored by...") and there are now just a smidgen of hardcore fans there screaming goal. i think it's time to let that one go. at least until the playoffs. it's really kind of a joke at this point.
No way you get rid of that! That is what separates us from the rest of the teams, just like what other teams do when they score goals. No reason to get rid of something like that.

Old
09-10-2010, 04:15 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
No way you get rid of that! That is what separates us from the rest of the teams, just like what other teams do when they score goals. No reason to get rid of something like that.
I definitely agree. No freaking way should the team ever get rid of the "GOAL!!!" chant after it's scored. Who cares how many fans are there in a given game. It's a tradition that has been a part of this team since their existence.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I definitely agree. No freaking way should the team ever get rid of the "GOAL!!!" chant after it's scored. Who cares how many fans are there in a given game. It's a tradition that has been a part of this team since their existence.
+1

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 10:05 PM
zeroG

Quote:
separates? it just falls flat now. it was great in 96 but its time has come and gone. in a half empty, half interested arena, it's really kind of pathetic. *every* single goal?

Old
09-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
separates? it just falls flat now. it was great in 96 but its time has come and gone. in a half empty, half interested arena, it's really kind of pathetic. *every* single goal?
Yeah, it's called tradition. That means you do it every time. Especially if it is something no other team does. You don't just abandon it cause we haven't been to the playoffs in a really long time. You keep it going, so when we get back to the playoffs, it grows even more.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 11:55 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
To you it might be flat and pathetic, but thats where it ends. I guess its ok that teams that have been in the playoffs, or sell out most games can have their own tradition, but since we have done neither in some time, we cant? When we played those games against the Rangers, or the Habs, where the arena was full, and we scored that game changing goal, you can feel the energy from the Panthers "goal" chant. Thats something you dont take away from this team, period. Maybe they should just do it when they have certain teams in town, would that make you feel better

Old
09-11-2010, 09:00 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Yeah, it's called tradition. That means you do it every time. Especially if it is something no other team does. You don't just abandon it cause we haven't been to the playoffs in a really long time. You keep it going, so when we get back to the playoffs, it grows even more.
Quote:
To you it might be flat and pathetic, but thats where it ends. I guess its ok that teams that have been in the playoffs, or sell out most games can have their own tradition, but since we have done neither in some time, we cant? When we played those games against the Rangers, or the Habs, where the arena was full, and we scored that game changing goal, you can feel the energy from the Panthers "goal" chant. Thats something you dont take away from this team, period. Maybe they should just do it when they have certain teams in town, would that make you feel better
it's just my opinion. you guys can love it. i like it too. it's not a matter of what teams that are doing well can do, either. it just doesn't make sense, to me, to force that on *every single goal*. i was there at the habs game last year when matthias had that penalty shot goal and i was high-fiveing people in the moment. the "GOAL" announcement didn't move me at all, though. it's ok if you feel that way. some people don't.

anyhow, this is clearly a subjective issue. there isn't a right answer. personally, i hope the new guy abandons it until it really is warranted. but we'll see.

Old
09-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

I could take or leave Murph. He wasn't awful, but he wasn't great either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
Damn right!! We have so few things that make us unique, why on earth would they give that up?

Regarding the kids' atmosphere, I think that feeling will go away once the team is winning again. It's easy to pick apart everything the organization is doing when you're stuck one rung up from the basement. Put a winning team together, and no one will even notice the smoke and mirrors show this organization puts on.

And because I've been scarce lately, I'd like to mention here that I still think letting Potvin go was a mistake. I miss Potvin. I miss the Potvin Drinking Game.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote