HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cogliano re-signs with the Oilers

Old
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
PeterTheGreat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
His first chance is going to be his last chance? I bet he doesn't get even get a chance this season.

LW: Penner, Hall and MPS
C: Gagner, Horcoff and Brule
RW: Hemsky and Eberle

I bet he doesn't get a chance in the top 6 until every imaginable combination of these players have been tried...which is too bad because he's proven to be good enough in the short stints he had with offensive players.
No offense, but those players are hardly unbeatable. It's up to Cogliano to EARN a spot in the top six, and beat out one or more of those guys you mentioned. He isn't just going to be handed a spot in the top six without earning it.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
No offense, but those players are hardly unbeatable. It's up to Cogliano to EARN a spot in the top six, and beat out one or more of those guys you mentioned. He isn't just going to be handed a spot in the top six without earning it.
Cogliano's gonna have to be pretty amazing. He's not a one dimensional player. He's capable of playing in the bottom 6 because he's responsible defensively. The same can't really be said for MPS or Eberle. It's an offensive role in the top 6 or 1st line minutes in the minors. The chances of Renney sending them to the minors because Cogliano was a little better are slim to none.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 03:54 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Cogliano's gonna have to be pretty amazing. He's not a one dimensional player. He's capable of playing in the bottom 6 because he's responsible defensively. The same can't really be said for MPS or Eberle. It's an offensive role in the top 6 or 1st line minutes in the minors. The chances of Renney sending them to the minors because Cogliano was a little better are slim to none.
Cogliano should have already been able to beat out Horcoff and/or Gagner for a top six center spot. Lets be honest, neither of those two have played all that well the last couple years. Not to mention his other competition haven't even played a second in the NHL.

Basically all I'm saying is, this is no one else's fault but Cogliano himself. No one is holding him back. It's up to him to take the bull by the horns and earn a spot and not look back.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 03:54 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf123 View Post
eberle will make the team
my guess is omark will be sent to the ahl and be the first call up

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall- Gagner - Eberle
MPS- Cogs - Brule
Stortini-Fraser-(Jones/Jaques/Macintyre/Reddox) any one of those guys to fill in the 4th spot.
I agree.

Except:

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
Hall - Horc - Ebs

Penner had too much chemistry with Gags to split them up. Horcoff is the perfect guy to put between Hall and Ebs too.

Quote:
Paajarvi is actually a good 2 way player. If Cogs can improve his face-offs, a 3rd line of Paajarvi - Cogs - Brule wouldn't be too bad. Crosby improved his face-offs drastcally last year, what says that Cogs can't do the same?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 03:56 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

cogs was given a ton of ice time last year and did jack all. gagner had to fight from the 4th line and even fought a few people. He proved he wanted more ice time. cogs didn't.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Cogliano should have already been able to beat out Horcoff and/or Gagner for a top six center spot. Lets be honest, neither of those two have played all that well the last couple years. Not to mention his other competition haven't even played a second in the NHL.

Basically all I'm saying is, this is no one else's fault but Cogliano himself. No one is holding him back. It's up to him to take the bull by the horns and earn a spot and not look back.
No offense but your view on Cogliano screams that you haven't been following his career. It's really not as simple as playing your way onto the 1st or 2nd line. You have to look at the other players on the team and what they bring to the team. Is Cogliano and Brule better offensively than O'Sullivan and Nilsson? Yes....but you don't want O'Sullivan and Nilsson in shut down/energy roles? No...So you send out the more well rounded players to take care of it.

...and Gagner was A LOT worse than Cogliano(despite what the stats say) in their sophomore seasons but was given every chance to succeed. Cogliano was labeled the next "Todd Marchant" by Craig MacTavish and has never really been given a chance to prove otherwise.

Old
09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

I'm not sure how many Oiler games you watched if you considered Gagner to have not played well.

You won't see Cogs taking Horcoff's spot in the top 6 either, due to one simple reason..size.

Lots of people on the outside looking in, think that Cogs is a top 6 only or bust player. He was on the 3rd line last year, not because he didn't earn top 6 minutes, but because he was the only player between Cogs, Comrie, Nilsson, that O'Sullivan that Quinn trusted to play bottom 6 minutes.

I don't think you could be more wrong with your last statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
cogs was given a ton of ice time last year and did jack all. gagner had to fight from the 4th line and even fought a few people. He proved he wanted more ice time. cogs didn't.
Avoid posting on something you have not the slightest clue about.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
A ton of ice time? He was 5th among Oiler forwards in even strength ice time and there was less than 30 seconds separating him from Potulny, Pisani and Moreau.

As for powerplay time...he ranked 12th among Oiler forwards. Hemsky played 60 less games and still had 9 minutes more total powerplay time.

This is an offensive player that isn't being put in offensive situations. He had one stint on the 1st line at the end of the season and had something like 13 points in 16 games. The difference between Penner/Brule and Stortini/Moreau is a lot.

Old
09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 1100
1 year 1.2mil would be my guess

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:14 PM
lakai17

vCash: 637
I think he's gonna do a lot better, he's not stupid, he knows he has to pull up his socks and in the off season he said he would like to continue on being an oiler but I guess you have to say that, at least he was interested, he knows this team is gonna be solid in the future and wants to be a part of that...

lots of potential and still pretty young.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 05:31 PM
wej20

One year 1 million according to Bobby Mac.

Bob Mckenzie

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 05:42 PM
lakai17

vCash: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
One year 1 million according to Bobby Mac.

Bob Mckenzie
DEEECENT!

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:23 PM
JustinCider

any Avs fan that wants to do an Avatar bet with me? I think the Oilers will finish ahead of the Avs. also, I don't care what my avatar is.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Cogliano sucks. Guy does nothing but skate around as fast as he can with no true purpose.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Akonite

Good signing IMO. Cogliano had a horrid year but his work ethic and overall attitude make me think(hope) that he will be successful, whether that's as a checking #3C or as a top 6 C/W is to be seen.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:51 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Great value by Tambo... way under the expected price in spite of the cap space the Oil have.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Cogliano sucks. Guy does nothing but skate around as fast as he can with no true purpose.
Whose fault is that though? What is an undersized offensive player supposed to accomplish with a grinder like Moreau and an enforcer(use that title loosely) like Stortini in an energy role? He was out of his element. He's not going to effectively bang and crash....and expecting offense isn't realistic either.

Old
09-10-2010, 08:02 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Good deal for the Oil, here. He has a chance to a Marchant-lite, a 15-20 goal guy who can be part of a shutdown line.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
The guy scored 18 goals in his first two seasons. That's not 'sucking'. Let's see if Kadri can pull that off.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
The guy scored 18 goals in his first two seasons. That's not 'sucking'. Let's see if Kadri can pull that off.
Why is Kadri brought up?

Old
09-10-2010, 08:11 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzen93 View Post
Why is Kadri brought up?
Leaf fan disrespecting a young Oiler. Kadri is supposed to be some kind of messiah--well, let's see if he can score 18 in his rookie year. I mean, Cogs sucks so much (apparently), so he better do far better than that.

Old
09-10-2010, 08:14 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Leaf fan disrespecting a young Oiler. Kadri is supposed to be some kind of messiah--well, let's see if he can score 18 in his rookie year. I mean, Cogs sucks so much (apparently), so he better do far better than that.
His username is Hemskyfanboy83. How do you know he's a Leaf fan?

Old
09-10-2010, 08:16 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzen93 View Post
His username is Hemskyfanboy83. How do you know he's a Leaf fan?
His avatar. But I kind of just quickly glanced. Though it seems by his name he's probably an Oiler fan. My mistake.

The point still stands, though. Taking Kadri out of the equation, scoring 18 goals in your first two NHL seasons is anything but 'sucking'. Yeah he had an off year last year, but even the best have off years. It's too early to write Cogs off.

Old
09-10-2010, 09:08 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Great value by Tambo... way under the expected price in spite of the cap space the Oil have.
It benefits Cogs as well as its only a 1 year term where he has an opportunity to prove that he is worthy a more significant contract.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:10 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
His avatar. But I kind of just quickly glanced. Though it seems by his name he's probably an Oiler fan. My mistake.

The point still stands, though. Taking Kadri out of the equation, scoring 18 goals in your first two NHL seasons is anything but 'sucking'. Yeah he had an off year last year, but even the best have off years. It's too early to write Cogs off.
Yeah, he's nothing special but he's far from "sucking". Kevin Bieksa, Ryan Hollweg, Wade Redden, now those are players who suck.