HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Potulny to Blackhawks (one year, $500k, two-way)

Old
09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Hawksfan12*

vCash: 500
Nice

Solid Callupp/injury replacement

Potential 4th Liner

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Hawksfan2828

Seems to be productive at the AHL level at almost a PPG and hes a .50 PPG player at the NHL level.

Going off of paper alone he seems to be a player looking to find his nitch.

I think its a great signing, hes on a 2-way which makes it even sweeter.

Besides Turco, right now I'm going to call this the best signing the Hawks have made all summer.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Seems to be productive at the AHL level at almost a PPG and hes a .50 PPG player at the NHL level.

Going off of paper alone he seems to be a player looking to find his nitch.

I think its a great signing, hes on a 2-way which makes it even sweeter.

Besides Turco, right now I'm going to call this the best signing the Hawks have made all summer.
This guy will play in Rockford. Mark my words. He is not good enough defensively to play on our third line. He is not physical enough to play on our fourth line. There is NO way he's cracking our top six. He will spend the entire year in Rockford, and be called up in case of an injury or two.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:39 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He's Tyler Arnason. Definitely good enough to cause havoc at the AHL level.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 06:14 PM
SDig14

will definitely help in Rockford though...takes pressure off rookies and prospects when some seasoned players can put up points in the A

To put up 40 points or 20 goals in Chicago, he would need top 6 minutes...which clearly would NEVER happen

Can't play a shutdown role on the 3rd line (with Bolland I assume?) because he is a bad skater, isn't good defensively, and doesn't really backcheck all that hard

4th line is a toss up...if you want a guy who can score, but doesn't use his body then he would fit...Imo, if they let Fraser go, they aren't putting Potulny on the 4th line

With Pisani on a 1-way, it's just a perfect 2-way contract to play in the A and get some call-ups if people get hurt

Pisani will impress people on the 3rd or 4th line in camp and in the season, assuming he stays healthy and can keep up his weight.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 06:26 PM
reginaoil

He won't hurt you but you won't notice if he is missing either IMO. Could score a few with his hands around the net. Total cheap depth guy who can help on the offense if injuries pile up.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
So, you're looking at a 4th liner who can't play defense, can't skate, shies away from any physicality, and puts up less than 20 points.
Sounds like Colin Fraser.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Pretty much a signing for Rockford and some depth at LW. I don't see him beating out any of our prospects for a spot on this roster, unless there is an injury or two. I mean, really, how many bad skaters are on the Hawks roster?
umm, 2? Scott and Boynton

Old
09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 50
from what I heard, he's as bad as a .5 ppg player can be.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Selke

If we get anything out of him, it's a plus. Even as a veteran scorer in Rockford, he should be exciting to watch and who knows? Maybe Q gives him some top 6 minutes. His point totals indicate that he can score and I remember him from a few games against the 'Hawks last year and I thought he played pretty well. It's a small sample size but for the minimum, it can't hurt.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Nope, not at all.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Nope, not at all.
So, he's better?

Old
09-09-2010, 11:17 PM
HjalmarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Is Pisani really that much better? Could you, as an Edmonton fan, please fill me in? Oh, and he'd be a 4th liner.
Your comments seem to indicate that you're just looking at the numbers and assuming that, playing on a much better team, Potulny will score 5-10 more goals than he did on the much worse team. But you're forgetting that Potulny - if he makes the team - will play far fewer minutes and not play on the power play...EVER. Moreover, he's not a fifteen goal scorer. The number is a fluke.

Pisani, on the other hand is a superior skater and will most certainly benefit from playing on a better team (provided he can stay healthy). He's an excellent penalty killer and can realistically beat out Jack Skille for a third line position. He probably won't be as effective as Andrew Ladd, but I can see him having tremendous 2 way chemistry with Dave Bolland. Combined with the Hawks defensemen, that line will give opposing offenses absolute fits. You can pretty much throw in Kopecky, Brouwer, Stalberg or even Skille to balance out the third line. Kopecky and Brouwer have both been not occasional 4th liners. I'd be surprised if we DIDN'T see a Bolland-Skille-Pisani line at some point this season.

From what seems to be universal consensus about Potulny's deficient skating abilities, he's fourth line at best. I even doubt that. The Hawks don't expect their fourth liners to score a ton of goals, but they do expect them to skate hard and fast. I'm pretty sure Potulny will be ahead of Jeff Taffe on the depth chart, but not by much. I'm not at all sure and actually kind of doubt he's ahead of Makarov. Also, the Hawks seem to have the dough lying around for Beach (if he's ready). They also just signed Brandon Pirri, who certainly doesn't look to be ready for a year or, more probably, two. But lesser talents than Pirri (or Morin, for that matter) have surprised people and shot up through the system.

I feel a little foolish for suggesting it, but the Hawks have a lot of guys (Smith, Davis, Kruger, Jessiman, Brophey: to name a few that I haven't yet mentioned) lying around. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of them steal a spot ahead of Potulney.

Good signing though. If or when a center goes down at the same time, this signing could steal the Hawks a game or two.

HjalmarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
So, he's better?
As a fourth-liner, Fraser would be a much better fit than Potulny. That's why Edmonton traded for the former and declined to qualify the latter.

The Hawks signed Potulny as a first line scorer for the Icehogs, that's it.

Old
09-09-2010, 11:26 PM
HjalmarFan

Quote:
If you think Colin Frasier "can't skate" and "can't play defense" you have gotten extremely spoiled by watching such a good team and have forgotten where the Hawks were three or four years ago.

How many non-Hawks fans out there can tell me if you'd like the luxury on your team of having John Madden, Adam Burish, Ben Eager, Colin Frasier, and Tomas Kopecky/Troy Brouwer competing on a nightly basis for three spots on your fourth line?

It says nothing bad about Colin Frasier that he found himself consistently beat out for a roster spot. It only says that the Hawks had an unsustainably sick amount of depth on their team last year.

HjalmarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

AHL signing. Thrived with the Oilers because he played a lot, and got quality ice time.

Also Pisani >>>> Potulny.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:38 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 227
Nice signing.

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:51 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HjalmarFan View Post
If you think Colin Frasier "can't skate" and "can't play defense" you have gotten extremely spoiled by watching such a good team and have forgotten where the Hawks were three or four years ago.

How many non-Hawks fans out there can tell me if you'd like the luxury on your team of having John Madden, Adam Burish, Ben Eager, Colin Frasier, and Tomas Kopecky/Troy Brouwer competing on a nightly basis for three spots on your fourth line?

It says nothing bad about Colin Frasier that he found himself consistently beat out for a roster spot. It only says that the Hawks had an unsustainably sick amount of depth on their team last year.
Colin Fraser's skating is slightly below average.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

very good signing for the Hawks...not sure why anyone could even be upset or down about this guy for what we got him for.

I am just drooling over our 4th line of Jessiman, Taffe, and Potulny!! I love it baby! j/k

In all honesty, I was very glad to see Potulny step up and take advantage of the ice time he earned in Edmonton. It doesnt matter if they were a bottom feeder team and that he got all that ice time, it also means that he really didnt play with much talent as well.

There were games that I watched where he was the only player doing anything out there...and that was more then just a few. I am not saying Ryan is going to be a 20 goal scorer on the Hawks, but you people that think this guy is just going to play in Rockford are nuts. Potulny has the ability to make up for some of the lost production from Versteeg, and that is where I see Potulny playing...3rd line. He isnt made for a 4th line spot, and he is too good to be in Rockford.

Pisani will be on the fourth line with Dowell, and what a shutdown line that will be. I see Potulny playing with Skille and Bolland on our third line, and I have no problems with that. The Hawks have enough grinders to fill in roles, we need some more scoring depth to replace the likes of Buff, Versteeg, and Ladd. Potulny is clearly the top guy that we aquired this off season to do that. You can make a case for Stahlberg, but he has just as many if not more question marks then Potulny.

I have watched Ryan Potulny since his college days and with the Flyers..the kid flat out scores goals. He is a streaky player, but if you pair him up with just enough talent, he will put up some numbers for you. His skating has always been an issue, but who cares about that, Sopel looked like he was skating on cement the entire year yet still did his job. Potulny isnt going to be the guy blazing down the wings creating havoc, he is going to be the guy lurking around the net scooping up the garbage and that is what we need. He will score goals.

Is it possible that Potulny starts in Rockford? of course it is, but I have very little doubt that he becomes a top 9 player on this team from the start of the year or very shortly after. We are expecting a lot out of Stahlberg and Skille, and lets be honest...Potulny has proven much more then those two have at the NHL level.

Excellent signing regardless of what Ryan does. I love the depth that Bowman has brought in. Though some dont like Jeff Taffe, he brings a nice 4th line grinding game to the table with some offensive talent as well. If we do get hit with some injuries, we will have guys like Pisani, Potulny, Taffe, Bickell, and Dowell all there to fill even bigger roles if necessary.

I like the way this team is shaping up imo..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
He's Tyler Arnason. Definitely good enough to cause havoc at the AHL level.
Quote:
Sounds more like Brandon Bochenski

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 01:51 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardebut30 View Post
Sounds more like Brandon Bochenski
Boom, headshot.

Old
09-10-2010, 02:06 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
very good signing for the Hawks...not sure why anyone could even be upset or down about this guy for what we got him for.

I am just drooling over our 4th line of Jessiman, Taffe, and Potulny!! I love it baby! j/k

In all honesty, I was very glad to see Potulny step up and take advantage of the ice time he earned in Edmonton. It doesnt matter if they were a bottom feeder team and that he got all that ice time, it also means that he really didnt play with much talent as well.
I wouldn't call playing on an injury riddled team "earning" his ice time.

Second half of that comment isn't true in the least. He put up his points with O'Sullivan, Nilsson, Penner, Comrie and Brule.

For close to 20% of the season he played with Cogs and Moreau, when he wasn't putting up any points.

Quote:
There were games that I watched where he was the only player doing anything out there...and that was more then just a few. I am not saying Ryan is going to be a 20 goal scorer on the Hawks, but you people that think this guy is just going to play in Rockford are nuts. Potulny has the ability to make up for some of the lost production from Versteeg, and that is where I see Potulny playing...3rd line. He isnt made for a 4th line spot, and he is too good to be in Rockford.
Stalberg is a much better choice for scoring depth. Any rookie is better suited too.

Potulny is not too good for the AHL. There's plenty of players who put up numbers in the AHL, but can't translate it to the NHL. A guy who hadn't even played close to half an NHL season until last year, at the the age of 26...is not too good for the AHL.

Quote:
I like the way this team is shaping up imo..
If you consider Potulny a lock for your 3rd line, I don't know how you can be excited about the team.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
You're overrating him. He's terrible defensively and he's really not much of a finisher despite his numbers. Surprised if this is much more than a minor league contract.
Calling BS on this one. Ive watched him since halfway through his college career and he certainly has a finishing touch as well as being adequate in the defensive zone. Hes no Ovechkin in the Goals department nor a calder dandidate but youre signifficantly underrating him.
Very good pickup by the Hawks. Put him in the right situation and he will do just fine.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:22 PM
caley

Any more word on whether Grant Potulny was also signed? I know he retired last year to coach, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could come back to play with Chicago's AHL team. Thus far, I've only seen it on THN and Forecaster.ca which seem to indicate a mistake (Confusing Ryan with Grant) on their part, but it's listed as separate transactions, which would make me think maybe they're convinced it actually occured.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 06:32 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
Calling BS on this one. Ive watched him since halfway through his college career and he certainly has a finishing touch as well as being adequate in the defensive zone. Hes no Ovechkin in the Goals department nor a calder dandidate but youre signifficantly underrating him.
Very good pickup by the Hawks. Put him in the right situation and he will do just fine.
Not sure how you would rank adequate, but he doesn't really backcheck at all, and when he does try it's not really that effective because he is a pretty poor skater

3rd lines are usually energy lines, shutdown guys, and guys that are good on defense...especially when you have Bolland fixed at 3C, it most likely is a shutdown line...Potulny doesn't fit at all with that line, Pisani is a much better fit in that spot

To be effective, Potulny would need time that the Hawks aren't willing to give him...plus on a 2-way it is way easier to just let him play in Rockford and help out young guys

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote